Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

And some people on facebook already complained that this unit looks to AoS, doesn't fit WFB and GW ruined their game again... Sigmar's beard, now I undestand Archaon.

EDIT: And how, after 5 years and muliple big tournaments, can they say no one play AoS and it's a flop? How?

Edited by michu
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

On 11/15/2019 at 9:39 AM, Oceanic_Eyes said:

I'm just hoping GW has enough resources to properly dedicate to a project like this without hurting AOS' development.

I'm also not looking forward to how this might not lead to two fanbases coexisting, but instead lead to more of the "my game is better and that other one sucks" arguments. 

Well I don't think that it would, since I've never heard any 30k player say 40k sucks or the other way round. 

Just now, michu said:

And some people on facebook already complained that this unit looks to AoS, doesn't fit WFB and GW ruined their game again... Sigmar's beard, now I undestand Archaon.

I get it though? It's an odd thing to lead with. Not that it's out of bounds or doesn't fit but if you were launching a reboot of the old WHFB setting, it's weird for the first thing you show to be a human unit with magical weapons. Apart from Grail Knights, I can't think of any other examples of human units like that and only a handful of other units. If the point was to make this the semi-low fantasy, historically inspired, 'grounded' alternative to AoS (and I  genuinely mean that in a neutral way), why start with these guys?

Also weird for it to be Kislev! I love Kislev, Riders of the Dead  is the best WHFB novel to my mind and I nearly started a Kislev-modded empire army back in 6th ed,  but  even as fan favourites they're surely pretty low down the totem pole. They're not even in the Total War games in any major way. Why start with them? Why not Empire or something? Only thing I can think of is that it's meant to indicate that the FW crew are going into the slightly more obscure and historically underrepresented aspects/parts of the background.

• Like 3

I am on the same boat. I do love that they will explore some things new... Kislev eas always fascinazing for me,  but please make it true to the old world. Not everything has to be magical and more than special, we have AoS for that cool style. 

I want to have my low dudes and dudettes,  scrap for wyrdstone and try to survive.

Edited by obaobaboss

3 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

They're not even in the Total War games in any major way. Why start with them? Why not Empire or something? Only thing I can think of is that it's meant to indicate that the FW crew are going into the slightly more obscure and historically underrepresented aspects/parts of the background.

There aren't in Total War - Warhammer yet. Creative Assembly is releasing the very last minor DLCs for Warhammer II and we can expect an annoucment for Warhammer III in the near future. The TW community is pretty sure that Kislev will be one of the new main factions fighting against Chaos Demons. I myself am pretty sure that this image is concept art for a Total War unit.

@sandlemad @obaobaboss You're all forgeting some things. That's literally one magical unit in the army. They are elite guardians of Tzarina Katarina. Would you expect them to be mundane? And they definitely fit into Kislev lore. Kislevites are close to Norsca, warhammer world becomes more high fantasy the closer to chaos wastes you get. I can believe that a personal guard of a ruler that is known for using ice magic, created a new wing of her castle out of ice and is literally described as " so suffused with the force of Ice Magic that even her flesh is cold and pale" would also use it. And TBH warhammer world was himore high fantasy than you think.

And why they started with them? Because they are completely new! Why would they start with some remade old units for Empire, when they can show us that they remember about Kislev and W:Old World can bring back those old forgotten factions? 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, michu said:

EDIT: And how, after 5 years and muliple big tournaments, can they say no one play AoS and it's a flop? How?

I mean, their description: 

"One new unit that’s in the early stages of development is set in the Ice Court – the seat of the ruling Tsar or Tsarina. Known as the Ice Guard, they’re an elite fighting formation of warrior women, equally skilled with bow and blade. But where they differ significantly from the other Kislevite units we’ve seen in the past is that they’re able to channel the elemental magic of their realm in a similar manner to their Ice Queen – the most powerful practitioner of this unique form of sorcery. Here are some awesome pieces of concept art for the Ice Guard, courtesy of Forge World’s Mark Bedford."

Would be perfect for an AoS unit. Bows, swords and ice magic in one unit would make for a great CoS elite unit.

This specific unit aside, GW showing Kislev cerments my opinion that the old world will focus almost exclusivly on humans at first. We have 4 Empire Factions, Kislev, add Bretonnia and Norsca and you have a good starting point without spending too much ressources on this whole project. 

• Like 2

"new unit that’s in the early stages of development"

This is the first active-language description of the project with specific process descriptions I can remember seeing.  Nice!  The are actually developing new units.  We've moved beyond assuming that they might or might not do all sorts of things, and have concrete evidence that they are making new models/units.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, michu said:

Is every single TOW reveal now going to have a queue of posts whining about "DAMN WHFB GROGS, THEY'RE NOT LIKE US AOS PLAYERS, THEY'RE NEVER HAPPY AMIRITE?" going forward? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, michu said:

@sandlemad @obaobaboss You're all forgeting some things. That's literally one magical unit in the army. They are elite guardians of Tzarina Katarina. Would you expect them to be mundane? And they definitely fit into Kislev lore. Kislevites are close to Norsca, warhammer world becomes more high fantasy the closer to chaos wastes you get. I can believe that a personal guard of a ruler that is known for using ice magic, created a new wing of her castle out of ice and is literally described as " so suffused with the force of Ice Magic that even her flesh is cold and pale" would also use it. And TBH warhammer world was himore high fantasy than you think.

And why they started with them? Because they are completely new! Why would they start with some remade old units for Empire, when they can show us that they remember about Kislev and W:Old World can bring back those old forgotten factions? 

I know, I therefore hope that the other new stuff will be less magical. For many people that was the appeal of this setting. 

I mean, not even the guard of the phoenix king or the dwarven kings has magical weapons. The empire, sometime called the biggest realm of all, has knights without magical gear as the personal guard of their emperor. Sure, there was place for some fantastical stuff, but they were the exceptions. Especially from human perspective. 

Edit: I realise now... I am a little bit salty that GW didn't choose to make the Kreml Guard.

Edited by obaobaboss
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Is every single TOW reveal now going to have a queue of posts whining about "DAMN WHFB GROGS, THEY'RE NOT LIKE US AOS PLAYERS, THEY'RE NEVER HAPPY AMIRITE?" going forward? 

Yes

• Haha 1

I'm ok with Kislev being back. Still have some good ol' kossars and winged lancers.

This could be interesting if they concentrate on the uncharted/less common areas of the Old World: Kislev, Nippon, Cathai, Albion, Araby, etc...

The art reminds me of Sisters of Avelorn. I could do without the magical ice bits, but let's see where it goes. No info about game format/scale yet, maybe something else on the weekend previews? Surely they must have at least decided by now. 

51 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

I mean, their description: 

"One new unit that’s in the early stages of development is set in the Ice Court – the seat of the ruling Tsar or Tsarina. Known as the Ice Guard, they’re an elite fighting formation of warrior women, equally skilled with bow and blade. But where they differ significantly from the other Kislevite units we’ve seen in the past is that they’re able to channel the elemental magic of their realm in a similar manner to their Ice Queen – the most powerful practitioner of this unique form of sorcery. Here are some awesome pieces of concept art for the Ice Guard, courtesy of Forge World’s Mark Bedford."

Would be perfect for an AoS unit. Bows, swords and ice magic in one unit would make for a great CoS elite unit.

This specific unit aside, GW showing Kislev cerments my opinion that the old world will focus almost exclusivly on humans at first. We have 4 Empire Factions, Kislev, add Bretonnia and Norsca and you have a good starting point without spending too much ressources on this whole project. 

Plus,  human soldiers could all be refitted into AoS Cities. A bit like the 40k Imperium with Vostroyans, Catachans etc.

If this is set during the War of the Three Emperor then that would be around the point of the Kislev founding as a kingdom.  

In fact judging by the map Kislev might not even exist yet since none of its cities and towns are on the map (though that might just be work in progress). 

• Like 1

First of all, I'm really loving the idea we'll get to see corners of the Old World not really explored in our modern times. Its a good way to bring fresh (icy ?) new things while release the Old World !

Those designs are nice. Nothing more to me....

... But if, I said IF, this news about Kislev heralds the release of a KISLEV vs CHAOS WARRIORS / NORSCA starter box, then, then I will LOSE MY F****** MIND !!!! ❤️

43 minutes ago, Harpo2 said:

If this is set during the War of the Three Emperor then that would be around the point of the Kislev founding as a kingdom.  

In fact judging by the map Kislev might not even exist yet since none of its cities and towns are on the map (though that might just be work in progress). 

Mmmh... now that you talk about it

"they’re able to channel the elemental magic of their realm in a similar manner to their Ice Queen"

So we know it is under the rule of a women and not a Tsar.  And plural  "Land of the Ice Queens" could be a hint at the Age of the three emperor... there were women at the top for a long part. 

Edited by obaobaboss

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Is every single TOW reveal now going to have a queue of posts whining about "DAMN WHFB GROGS, THEY'RE NOT LIKE US AOS PLAYERS, THEY'RE NEVER HAPPY AMIRITE?" going forward? 

It's just a reminder to remember HOW AWESOME we are!!!!
/jokeOff 

Edited by Beliman

They are awesome, warrior women with a very good design!

I'd give them sensible weapons (these are too Warcraft), of course, but the rest of the design is very near perfect!

As for the "advertised as", I probably misremembered, and there already is a game smaller than Warcry which I like the models of, and simply forgot, in Underworlds.

Edited by zilberfrid