[HOMEBREW] Seraphon (Lore-Abiding)

KhaosSpawn

One of my sons is into Seraphon so I made some WarCry rules for fun and thought I'd share.

1266102082_WarCry-Seraphon(Lore-Abiding)-v0.1-Sample.png.97565bdfa793c0c453293da8c217b16b.png

--

Edit: Thanks to @Revlid's feedback and some play-testing, Ive updated these and am happy that they aren't game-breaking. They are now in BETA status.

I know GW has brought out Seraphon rules, but I'm keen to run with these as well because I prefer them for narrative games. They are what I call Lore-Abiding (😋) which means that fighters' movement, offence, defence, and abilities are relative to their AoS stats. I think this makes them match up better to Warhammer lore (fluff text).

For example: Skinks should be as tough as Grot Stabbas; Suarus Knights should be as armoured as Saurus Guard; Saurus Warriors should be better at attacking than Skinks; etc.

--

Thanks to https://waywalkerstudios.com/ for runemarks and blank fighter cards. Also, thanks to Games Workshop for the decades of awesome.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually played WarCry yet, let alone battle tested this warband so it is definitely in ALPHA status.

Please feel free to provide feedback and ask questions.

WarCry - Seraphon (Lore-Abiding) - v0.1.pdf

Edited by KhaosSpawn
Update to v0.1. Added image.

Just checking out the abilities for now...

• Celestial CohortOrdered Cohort and Powerful Jaws look fine. I'm not sure I'd ever really bother with Powerful Jaws, though – Saurus have strong enough attack characteristics that it'll rarely be worth it compared to Onslaught, and never worth it compared to Ordered Cohort.
  • Wary Fighter seems too strong. Compare it to other [Triple] abilities that grant bonus attacks, like Relentless Killer or Swooping Attack. Most of them operate under strict limitations, and are limited to a specific kind of fighter. This is a bonus attack and a bonus disengage (already very rare in Warcry, specifically to avoid slowing it down with frustrating keep-away tactics) on a raw [Triple] for a huge number of different fighters.
  • Disappear from Sight is neat, but too complicated. It's also probably too powerful, because it's effectively a bonus move + (value) inches (much better than a [Double], a bit worse than a [Triple])... and also makes your Chameleon Skink immune to all damage between activations. Which is very, very powerful.
  • Summon Seraphon needs to remove damage points from the revived model. I'd recommend stealing the phrasing from Legion of Nagash/Nighthaunt.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to look and provide feedback, Revlid!!

I wasn't aware of universal abilities so I appreciate you including them in your post about creating Abilities.

• Powerful Jaws - I see what you mean about it not being worthwhile compared to Onslaught. The basic premise was for them to be able to stack on a bit of extra damage even if they aren't in a "cohort". I might look to make it a [Double] +1A, +1S instead.
  • Wary Fighter - This is a copy of the Gryph-Hound [Triple] Darting Attack. I see what you mean about it being available for a larger number of fighters, though. I might nerf it to something like a [Double] bonus disengage if it doesn't play-test well. Makes me wonder how a warband of 1x Hunter-Prime with Hurricane Crossbow and 5x Gryph-Hounds would play. 🤔
  • Disappear from Sight - Yeah, I'm fond of this one. It was based off the Cypher Lords [Triple] Shadowy Recall. That one's a greater distance (12" + value) for a wider range of fighters but restricted by the position of the Thrallmaster/Luminate. Being camouflaged between activations is definitely a big advantage, though. Maybe something like a bonus move (+value) and +2 toughness until next activation. That or up the Chameleon's points value.
  • Summon Seraphon - I thought the fact that it's a [Quad] would balance out not losing 1-6 points of damage. You reckon they should still be damaged? Yep, I shamelessly stole all the phrasing I could from GW's cards. 😁
Edited by KhaosSpawn

9 hours ago, KhaosSpawn said:
  • Wary Fighter - This is a copy of the Gryph-Hound [Triple] Darting Attack. I see what you mean about it being available for a larger number of fighters, though. I might nerf it to something like a [Double] bonus disengage if it doesn't play-test well. Makes me wonder how a warband of 1x Hunter-Prime with Hurricane Crossbow and 5x Gryph-Hounds would play. 🤔

Note that the Gryph-Hound doesn't have a ranged attack, which makes disengaging much less powerful. Its primary uses are a) to force your opponent to waste a move action getting back into melee with you, b) get a free attack at a powerful enemy you want to run away from.

Skinks almost all have ranged attacks, which means "out of melee" is where they want to be anyway. You get a free attack, a free disengage, and then you're free to pepper your opponent from outside their attack range, or just take another move action to escape further and then shoot.

• Summon Seraphon - I thought the fact that it's a [Quad] would balance out not losing 1-6 points of damage. You reckon they should still be damaged? Yep, I shamelessly stole all the phrasing I could from GW's cards.

As written, they don't lose any damage points, so they just die again the instant they're set up.

• Thanks 1