Let’s Chat: Rippa’s Snarlfangs

Still-young

They look very interesting. They seem to have various combo potential with the extra attacks. I think the Mean-Eye, the bow grot, is the weakest of the bunch, especially uninspired. It's a shame you can charge and attack with the mount and then use another attack action like the bow. You have to shoot the bow first and then use the wolf attack action. You could charge and end adjacent to model A, shoot model B, and then attack model A with the mount. Which is pretty cool, and thematic. Tomb of offerings seems really good for them against horde type warbands. 

Prized Vendetta and Spirit Bond seem like no brainers as they can help out with the accuracy of the wolf attacks.  Spirit Bond seems legit with 2+ dodge also as a defensive upgrade. 

the best part about the warband is they don't seem as OP as Grymwatch, but they do seem to have enough going for them that they seem good out of the gate.   

• Like 2

Seeing all their faction and universal cards really makes me love these guys. The thing that I really think is interesting is Rebound being legal now, but this warband has a subtle defense against the game swinging card. Snarlfang's damage output is 1-2, maybe 3, damage per attack and although they can potentially take out 4 wound fighters in one activation due to the wolves reactive attack, Rebound most likely won't be able to one shot your own fighters if your opponent rolls the dodge or crit. 

I wonder how tombs would work with Rippa’s Sarlfangs. You could have 5-6 tombs along with Bonded, Spirit Bond, Spectral Armour, and 1-2 other defensive/offensive upgrades. Rippa would be a wrecking ball to be sure. Similar to Mollog except that he’d have a few less wounds, but much faster and much harder to hit. And really any of the 3 fighters could hold all the tombs. Mean-Eye probably being the least desirable librarian.

I've started to build a deck for these guys, let me know what you think;

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,B368,N373,B398,N550,P56,N436,N543,B431,N503,N514,B434,N322,N384,P36,P41,B367,B100,B101,B103,B104,B106,B298,B110,B116,B117,B118,B119,B126,B382,G21,P57,G3,B105,B275,G22,B120

Looking to go pure aggro, but i've tried to avoid objectives that rely on making a kill with 'attacks'. Between spittle, snare and pit trap - there's too many chances to miss out on scoring them. I've included a couple of weapon upgrades, to make the archer boy a lil bit more choppy in the event that Rippa goes down early. 

I do need to cut an objective and 3 upgrades from here though. Get Thee Hence and and the Weapons would be the easiest to remove by themselves, but I think these will be quite useful. Chip damage and increasing the accuracy of attacks is what i've tried to focus on. 

Cover Ground/Spectral Wings/Loping Strides seem like no-brainers for these guys. And then a few defensive upgrades for keeping the boss alive. 

So...  what do I cut from it?

2 hours ago, belly318 said:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,B368,N373,B398,N550,P56,N436,N543,B431,N503,N514,B434,N322,N384,P36,P41,B367,B100,B101,B103,B104,B106,B298,B110,B116,B117,B118,B119,B126,B382,G21,P57,G3,B105,B275,G22,B120

Looking to go pure aggro, but i've tried to avoid objectives that rely on making a kill with 'attacks'. Between spittle, snare and pit trap - there's too many chances to miss out on scoring them. I've included a couple of weapon upgrades, to make the archer boy a lil bit more choppy in the event that Rippa goes down early. 

I do need to cut an objective and 3 upgrades from here though. Get Thee Hence and and the Weapons would be the easiest to remove by themselves, but I think these will be quite useful. Chip damage and increasing the accuracy of attacks is what i've tried to focus on. 

Cover Ground/Spectral Wings/Loping Strides seem like no-brainers for these guys. And then a few defensive upgrades for keeping the boss alive. 

What format are you running because this has too many restricted cards for Championship currently so 2 of those would have to go.  I'd probably drop warning shot to reduce your objectives and restricted count by one (and make it so you only have 6 surges). I'd probably drop the tome as you have trophy belt. It isn't as good but it saves a restricted slot and once you have 10 glory to spend on upgrades you don't need anymore unspent glory. 

The last 2 upgrade choices are agonising! My opinion would be to drop Spectral Armour and Great Strength. Survival Instincts allow for more successes than Spectral (but less chance of a crit) and Boss hat is a strong combination of both Spec. and GS.  

On 11/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, belly318 said:

I think Prized Vendetta should have great consideration. With the new errata you can retool any dice to hit, doesn’t have to be all of them. And it works on the wolf attacks. Granted it’s only against one specific fighter, but it’s make one of your fighters very accurate against said fighter 

What are people’s thoughts of Quickdrop Venom? It seems very similar to Fighters Ferocity with the benefit of being a separate damage. Works on all attacks (except the wolf attacks).  Will be useful with rebound flying around as it doesn’t at damage to your attack. Also helps against plots that reduce damage to 1 for the next attack so you’d at least do 1 and then potentially another 1 with the Venom.  

Just looked at Dirty Fighting and that could be useful as you get to roll every time you miss an attack against an advance to enemy. So you can do it twice if you count the wolf reaction attack. Gives you pretty decent odds of doing at least some damage 

edit: never mind, the reaction window conflicts with the wolf reaction attack. But you could still use it on a missed wolf attack 

Edited by Anthony225

Hey, sorry to interrupt your rules discussion, but can anyone tell me how big the wolf rider minis actually are? (In comparison to normal human infantry or for example demis ) I really like their poses and i am thinking of using them as demis with human riders and just wanted to check if the size of the wolves could be compatible 🙂

Thanks a lot for your help!

On 11/24/2019 at 7:29 AM, Lord Hightower said:

Hey, sorry to interrupt your rules discussion, but can anyone tell me how big the wolf rider minis actually are? (In comparison to normal human infantry or for example demis ) I really like their poses and i am thinking of using them as demis with human riders and just wanted to check if the size of the wolves could be compatible 🙂

Thanks a lot for your help!

Don't know the scale, but just to warn you in case you don't know, the riders are moulded onto the wolves, so that conversion could be tricky. I think you'd have an easier time putting riders on 40k Fenrisian Wolves instead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Don't know the scale, but just to warn you in case you don't know, the riders are moulded onto the wolves, so that conversion could be tricky. I think you'd have an easier time putting riders on 40k Fenrisian Wolves instead. 

Yeah, thanks for the information, I saw that and was not happy about it, but i think I can manage to cut the riders feet out. Easy-to-build is a  curse for conversions... but thats another story. Also thought about Fenrisian wolves or the marine wolf-riders but I prefer the poses of the snarlfangs (they also have kind of "saddles") and unfortunately I am not skilled enough with green stuff to replace the robot-feet or eyes of the thunderwolf cavalry ^^ 

This will be my first go of the Rippa’s:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,B119,B121,B126,N543,B398,P57,P56,P54,B431,B434,B109,B112,B113,B118,N401,B367,B368,B373,G22,G18,B100,B104,N299,N302,N319,N340,N373,B270,B281,G3,N305,N368

I tried building it with the mindset that I could sit back the first turn and “power up” before charging in full boar. But it’s not really possible to build a deck trying to play aggressive/control/objective/and defensive. I was afraid objective play could get to far ahead with a free first turn. So I ended up going primarily Aggro with some control and defense. My thinking is to go for the throat with Rippa and when he dies, Stabbit takes his place, and the Mean-Eye. Rippa’s have some decent objective disruption tech as they can “potentially” knock 2 fighters off objectives each time they activate, or better still, kill 2 fighters each time they activate. And once the upgrades start piling on they become a nightmare to remove.
Bonded, Spirit Bond, and Prized Vendetta can all give the wolf attacks more accuracy with former 2 boosting defense as well.
Because the fighters will be attacking most likely straight away I needed to have fast scoring objectives, hence calculated risk, gathered momentum, and cover ground. Calculated Risk is the objective to score and the others are easily scored with Tracking, Spectral Wings, and Loping Strides. These 3 movement cards can make your fighters crazy fast and let’s them reach virtually anywhere.
Anyway, that’s where I’m going to start. Even with season 1 gone it’s really difficult to thin down the deck to 20 cards.

There's also some good potential for your fighters to come in quickly and dispatch specific enemy fighters from a long distance. there's enough movement ploys/upgrades to reach out attack models such as leaders, Varclav, or a warbands hard hitter from your first activation potentially.