Skyborne Slayers - The Thread

Primes

31 minutes ago, Evantas said:

Briefly, what scenarios, army compositions and what Aux Objectives did you pick?

So first game:

Mission Focal points, My auxiliary objectives where : The Bait and Territorial. I felt like I needed 2 easy auxiliary objectives because I felt like there was going to be a lot of killing here. I was playing against a weird Khorne list.

-   Lord of khorne on juggernaut

-   Slaughterpriest

- Vorgaroth the scarred and skalok the skull host of khorne

-  3 times 3 skullcrushers

-  5 chaos chosen

My battleplan here was to go first and sit on objetives while hitting his flank. Ignore Vorgaroth and go for his army. I went all in against all these skullcrushers and made sure the big dragon couldn’t land to hit my paladins just yet. Won a major victory because I was so far ahead on points that he was unable to keep up. The Bait was perfect because I knew he wanted to kill my screen and Territorial was easy to do with my backline units.

Second game against Lumineth Aelves. Mission Scorched earth. I picked both terrain objectives, Sieze ground and pillage, cause I knew I had double tp to take them turn 4 in the game with the prime or els the knight vexillor combo with the prime. And then sit there till turn 5 to score both.

His list was.

Lumineth realm lord- Nation Zaitrec

-Archmage Teclis and Celennar, spirit of hysh

-The light of eltharion

-Scinari Cathaller

-2x10 wardens

-2x10 sentinels

-1x10 dawnriders

-1x5 dawnriders

-Umbral spellportal

I knew I needed to take first turn against him and with my 4 to his 9 drops I could do it. My plan was to do as much damage as possible and let the decimators be the body’s and screens and my protectors trying to reach Teclis. Killed Teclis cause bad screening. Shot 7 wounds with both judicator units and the lord celestant and finished with 3 inch reach protecters. Rest of his army has immense better warscrolls so the fight was pretty hard til the end. Cause he stopped my big units from moving and his dawnriders where clearing my backfield. I played the prime turn 2 to stop them and had some congo lines with liberators to stop him from overtaking most of my objectives to fast. Major win in the end. With completing both objectives

Last game against a very skilled KO player who placed second place at the hammer and bolter event last year in Belgium with slaanesh. This was an insane intens chess game style game. We played on 3 places of arcane power. Both a scenario that sucks with scoring with our deepstrike heroes. I took both hero killing auxiliary objectives here. Headhunter and assassinate. Thought it fitted perfect with the scenario because everything here is about trying to kill the heroes and prevent them from scoring. My plan was taking a lead. He outdropped me cause of the 2 drop list.

His list:

Sky port Barak Zilfin

-Endrinmaster with dirigible suit

-Aetheric navigator

-Aether chemist

-3x10 arkanaut company

-1x3 endrinriggers

-2x frigate

-1x ironclad

Ironsky attack squadron

Iron sky command

Warp lightning vortex

So I was forced to go first. I placed my lord relictor and 1x5 liberators on the objective trying to force him to move out of his castle. He placed everything on one side with 10 arkanaut company far in front of everything els so I couldn’t deepstrike. I left everything in the sky and ended my turn in 5 min. His first turn he killed everything on my board. I won prio and came down on the corner to try and put my vexillor with mirrorshield behind my protectors for -4 to hit. Needed this guy to survive till turn 3 to score 1 point. I charged his frontlines and cleared as much chaff as I could. Did like nothing to his chips cause he saved or later healed everything. His hero’s where screened so I couldn’t touch them. He did 3 wounds to the vexillor and I took 1 vp on my turn. Then in his turn he killed my vexillor and took 1 point with his hero. Then my prime came down at the start of turn 5 to kill his hero and then he shot me of the table but couldn’t melee kill my prime with his last remaining hero so couldn’t score the objective. I had nothing on the table end turn 5 but won the game but only completed 1 auxiliary objective because I couldn’t kill his last hero. I Ended second place.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Juicy said:

So first game:

Mission Focal points, My auxiliary objectives where : The Bait and Territorial. I felt like I needed 2 easy auxiliary objectives because I felt like there was going to be a lot of killing here. I was playing against a weird Khorne list.

-   Lord of khorne on juggernaut

-   Slaughterpriest

- Vorgaroth the scarred and skalok the skull host of khorne

-  3 times 3 skullcrushers

-  5 chaos chosen

My battleplan here was to go first and sit on objetives while hitting his flank. Ignore Vorgaroth and go for his army. I went all in against all these skullcrushers and made sure the big dragon couldn’t land to hit my paladins just yet. Won a major victory because I was so far ahead on points that he was unable to keep up. The Bait was perfect because I knew he wanted to kill my screen and Territorial was easy to do with my backline units.

Second game against Lumineth Aelves. Mission Scorched earth. I picked both terrain objectives, Sieze ground and pillage, cause I knew I had double tp to take them turn 4 in the game with the prime or els the knight vexillor combo with the prime. And then sit there till turn 5 to score both.

His list was.

Lumineth realm lord- Nation Zaitrec

-Archmage Teclis and Celennar, spirit of hysh

-The light of eltharion

-Scinari Cathaller

-2x10 wardens

-2x10 sentinels

-1x10 dawnriders

-1x5 dawnriders

-Umbral spellportal

I knew I needed to take first turn against him and with my 4 to his 9 drops I could do it. My plan was to do as much damage as possible and let the decimators be the body’s and screens and my protectors trying to reach Teclis. Killed Teclis cause bad screening. Shot 7 wounds with both judicator units and the lord celestant and finished with 3 inch reach protecters. Rest of his army has immense better warscrolls so the fight was pretty hard til the end. Cause he stopped my big units from moving and his dawnriders where clearing my backfield. I played the prime turn 2 to stop them and had some congo lines with liberators to stop him from overtaking most of my objectives to fast. Major win in the end. With completing both objectives

Last game against a very skilled KO player who placed second place at the hammer and bolter event last year in Belgium with slaanesh. This was an insane intens chess game style game. We played on 3 places of arcane power. Both a scenario that sucks with scoring with our deepstrike heroes. I took both hero killing auxiliary objectives here. Headhunter and assassinate. Thought it fitted perfect with the scenario because everything here is about trying to kill the heroes and prevent them from scoring. My plan was taking a lead. He outdropped me cause of the 2 drop list.

His list:

Sky port Barak Zilfin

-Endrinmaster with dirigible suit

-Aetheric navigator

-Aether chemist

-3x10 arkanaut company

-1x3 endrinriggers

-2x frigate

-1x ironclad

Ironsky attack squadron

Iron sky command

Warp lightning vortex

So I was forced to go first. I placed my lord relictor and 1x5 liberators on the objective trying to force him to move out of his castle. He placed everything on one side with 10 arkanaut company far in front of everything els so I couldn’t deepstrike. I left everything in the sky and ended my turn in 5 min. His first turn he killed everything on my board. I won prio and came down on the corner to try and put my vexillor with mirrorshield behind my protectors for -4 to hit. Needed this guy to survive till turn 3 to score 1 point. I charged his frontlines and cleared as much chaff as I could. Did like nothing to his chips cause he saved or later healed everything. His hero’s where screened so I couldn’t touch them. He did 3 wounds to the vexillor and I took 1 vp on my turn. Then in his turn he killed my vexillor and took 1 point with his hero. Then my prime came down at the start of turn 5 to kill his hero and then he shot me of the table but couldn’t melee kill my prime with his last remaining hero so couldn’t score the objective. I had nothing on the table end turn 5 but won the game but only completed 1 auxiliary objective because I couldn’t kill his last hero. I Ended second place.

Nice, what was your list ?

Would you change some things in it ?

Thanks !

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Single-minded Fury 
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade 
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Vexillor (110)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
-artefact: Mirrorshield 
Celestant-Prime (300)
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Protectors (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
10 x Decimators (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
Skyborne Slayers (180)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

this was the list ive been playing. I did try a few version of this list but for now it feels solid. Its an upgraded list from what i played at a 100 player tournament in belgium and i felt it worked pretty okay back then and i feel with the point drop bringing 2x10 paladins is really nice. The prime is good for the mind games so people dont dare to overextend. Only thing i could change is the lord relictor and the extra commandpoint. It frees up enough points to play around with. 

Edited by Juicy

On 8/31/2020 at 10:22 PM, Juicy said:

Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
Lord-Relictor (100)
Knight-Vexillor (110)
Celestant-Prime (300)
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Protectors (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
10 x Decimators (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
Skyborne Slayers (180)
Extra Command Point (50)

this was the list ive been playing. I did try a few version of this list but for now it feels solid. Its an upgraded list from what i played at a 100 player tournament in belgium and i felt it worked pretty okay back then and i feel with the point drop bringing 2x10 paladins is really nice. The prime is good for the mind games so people dont dare to overextend. Only thing i could change is the lord relictor and the extra commandpoint. It frees up enough points to play around with. 

I saw your list and it looked really interesting to me.

I signed up for that tournament but was too late unfortunately. If you ever want to play a game in that store hit me up!

Cheers

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrYaja said:

I saw your list and it looked really interesting to me.

I signed up for that tournament but was too late unfortunately. If you ever want to play a game in that store hit me up!

Cheers

aah cool!! We probly meet in a tournament in the Netherlands. As eindhoven is a bit to far for a drive just for one game for now.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 4:22 AM, Juicy said:

Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
Lord-Relictor (100)
Knight-Vexillor (110)
Celestant-Prime (300)
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Protectors (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
10 x Decimators (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
Skyborne Slayers (180)
Extra Command Point (50)

Do you prefer the CV stormhost than other options? The artefact and the command trait of the stormhost seem little worthy.

2 hours ago, frostfire said:

Do you prefer the CV stormhost than other options? The artefact and the command trait of the stormhost seem little worthy.

Nah i use it to boost the prime with rerolls and 1 attack but i play either CV or staunch defender. I feel strong into both. This tournament CV felt like an overkill. I didnt had much use for the commandpoints cause al the small heroes are dying superfast even while protected. Still the rerolls on charge are nice but a cp on the alpha strike can match that.  With staunch the problem is keeping into that 9 inch bubble and when the 5 wound  general is dead you lose it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first game with Stormcast and Skyborn Slayers against LRL. We played 1k5 on a 47x23,5 inch table (we have no alternative right now).

My list:

Celestant (Staunch Defender)

Castelant

Relictor

15x Liberators

5x Liberators

5x Judicators

5x Judicators

5x Decimators

5x Protectors

Skyborn Slayers

He played a custom CC hero and:

Eltharion

20 Wardens

10 Wardens

20 Sentinels

5 Dawnriders

5 Dawnriders

We played the mission where the 3 stars fall. I put everything in the heavens except 5 Libs. 
Came down in turn three. By then he had screened everything with his riders. The judicators killed a rider unit and the decimators charged another and killed 2. At least my Liberators scored me the middle objective which came down this turn.

Next turn he charged my big Lib unit with his two heroes after his Sentinels killed my Celestant. The Liberators could hold their ground quite well. I think six survived.😅
I still had enough Libs on the middle objective to deny it. 

In my turn i retreated the Liberators and charged his CC hero (a dragon btw) with the Protectors. The did 5-6 wounds but nothing serious. Mostly the Starsoul mases did "the work" aka something. Three Protectors where killed in return. The Decimators destroyed the remaining Dawnriders (again Starsoul Mases). I retreated the Liberators out of combat bit still in range of the objective. I moved my 5 man Liberator unit to the "star" that came down at the begining of turn three.

In his turn he killed the Protectors and sniped the Relictor but failed to kill the remaining Liberators because of very bad dice rolls. Decimators where killed by charging Wardens.

I moved the Judicators in a Kongaline to contest the middle objective, because he still had only 2 heroes there.

In his turn he killed everything except the 5 Liberators, so i could still score some points with them in my turn.

21:20 for Stormcast

I played a lot of things wrongly and the table wasn't optimal For a Skyborn Slayers army. Will have to learn a lot to make this work. Everything hit like a pillow except the Starsoul mases, but it was very refreshing to play a totally different game then my Ogors/OBR/FEC. I see some real fun potential there.

I had to proxy 10 Liberators and the Castelant but now i am shure that i will purchase them. Actually i will go to my local store after i finish this post.😋

My alternative for the Liberators/Castelant would be 5 more Protectors and some hero (Vexillor?), but after the Paladins did earn any glory i will go for Liberators for now.

8 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I wonder if buying into Skyborne slayers is a good idea now, they are not even in the book yet in GHB. It looks really interesting but I need quite a few boxes of paladins to make the list... Sure is nice to hear poor paladins do some work though!

It should be in it, because the points for the batallion dropped from 190p (december FAQ) to 180p (warscroll builder atm).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

I wonder if buying into Skyborne slayers is a good idea now, they are not even in the book yet in GHB. It looks really interesting but I need quite a few boxes of paladins to make the list... Sure is nice to hear poor paladins do some work though!

Anyway, the core is just 2-3 units of paladins, you could request for proxies using the retributors from  starter box paladins until you're sure as well. 

For me, I got more interested in playing this than a full-on shootcast, or the 1-drop vanguard chamber, as it frees up a lot of customisation options even with the 1080pts core. 

I got my palies cheap off e-bay, and I kit bashed the lord-celestant on foot. Painting them up now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does this change from the GBH 2020 mean a Lord Celestant on stardrake or dracoth can be in a skyborne slayers battalion?

"The organisation section of a battalion lists the titles or keywords for the units it can or must include. If an entry is the title of a unit, any unit with that title can be used (you can ignore sub-headers under the title unless they are included in the entry for the unit). Understrength units (pg 13) cannot be used as part of a warscroll battalion."

Nah you still cant.

the battalion is talking about units. 
lord celestant is not Worded in bold.

this battalion is old and very specific. Some people try to word it like you can now with the clarification in the wording but we all know its still ment to be the lord celestant on foot sadly. 

2 minutes ago, Mattrulesok said:

I was under the impression the battalion lists the title not keyword hence why its in lower case, keywords are all upper case but correct me if I'm wrong

Yeah its still like this. The unit lord celestant is the one on foot.

On 10/3/2020 at 9:31 AM, macrake said:

Does this change from the GBH 2020 mean a Lord Celestant on stardrake or dracoth can be in a skyborne slayers battalion?

"The organisation section of a battalion lists the titles or keywords for the units it can or must include. If an entry is the title of a unit, any unit with that title can be used (you can ignore sub-headers under the title unless they are included in the entry for the unit). Understrength units (pg 13) cannot be used as part of a warscroll battalion."

Jusy to add to what it was said before and in case you need to discuss this, the important part here is "unless they are included in the entry for the unit". Both "on dracoth" or "on Stardrake" are part of the name of the unit in the pitched battle profiles, so they are not a subheading which can be ignored

It does list the title yes. But the new rule says that if the unit entry in the battalion is a title, then any unit with that title can used (and you can ignore sub-headers). "on stardrake" and "on Dracoth" are both sub-headers. So by RAW it works. I also think it's intended. Why else would they have made this change, if not to address old battalions? If it doesn't work for Skyborne slayers, then the change to battalion rules is meaningless.

Would be nice to get an FAQ on this. Also affects other old battalions like FEC royal family.

QOUTE: |"Both "on dracoth" or "on Stardrake" are part of the name of the unit in the pitched battle profiles, so they are not a subheading which can be ignored"|

When they write "included in the entry for the unit", it means the entry in the battalion organisation. Entry does not mean "name of the unit on it's warscroll".

For an example, the skaven battalion "Congregation of Filth" has a unit entry of  a "Plague priest on plague furnace". Here the sub-heading is "on plague furnace". And it can't be ignored, since it's in the unit entry of the battalion. So no normal Plague priest. If on the hand the unit entry in the battalion was just "plague priest", then both plague priest and plague priest on plague furnace would work.

Consider this: If what you wrote is true, then what is a sub-heading?

Edited by macrake

4 hours ago, macrake said:

QOUTE: |"Both "on dracoth" or "on Stardrake" are part of the name of the unit in the pitched battle profiles, so they are not a subheading which can be ignored"|

When they write "included in the entry for the unit", it means the entry in the battalion organisation. Entry does not mean "name of the unit on it's warscroll".

For an example, the skaven battalion "Congregation of Filth" has a unit entry of  a "Plague priest on plague furnace". Here the sub-heading is "on plague furnace". And it can't be ignored, since it's in the unit entry of the battalion. So no normal Plague priest. If on the hand the unit entry in the battalion was just "plague priest", then both plague priest and plague priest on plague furnace would work.

Consider this: If what you wrote is true, then what is a sub-heading?

For an example, the skaven battalion "Congregation of Filth" has a unit entry of  a "Plague priest on plague furnace". Here the sub-heading is "on plague furnace". And it can't be ignored

This is the same for skyborne slayers, it states Lord celestant. That is the full name. There is no sub-heading cause the full name is described. Heck it even came with a battlebox.  It states : Unless it included in the entry for the unit. On both casus the full name is described. 

I feel like we be rule bending to our advantage here. And going with a lord celestant on stardrake cause the unit entry is lord celestant and we want it to be any lord celestant is kind of lame. With battalions in our battletome these discussions are fixed but now we be talking about a very old battalion and we know the intention of that battalion. That intention didnt change with the new wording.