Skyborne Slayers - The Thread

Primes

On 7/23/2020 at 9:43 AM, Hannibal said:

If I run a Grand Alliance Order army I can use the Skyborne Slayers battalion, right?

Yes. That's the beauty of it. You don't have access to SCE rules and artifacts though. It's been nerfed a bit since you can't take Malign Sorceries anymore and because most order miniatures are now COS, which limits synergies.

What list do you want to do ? If you go ORder that's because you have something specific in mind, right ?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

Leaders
Vandus Hammerhand (260)
- Mount Trait: Drake-kin
Knight-Vexillor (110)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
- Treasured Standard (Artefact): Lichebone Standard
Knight-Azyros (100)
- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail
- Artefact: God-forged Blade

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
10 x Judicators (280)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Decimators (340)
10 x Protectors (340)
- 2x Starsoul Maces

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

So i come with idea. 3 drops. Battalion is the "their sky", Vexilor on the ground, Azyros in normal sky".  Later Vexilor just teleport himself with his standard to heal everyone. Vandus give attack aura and delete stuff, Azyros give rerolls and ward 6+. 

9 hours ago, Nizrah said:

Leaders
Vandus Hammerhand (260)
- Mount Trait: Drake-kin
Knight-Vexillor (110)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
- Treasured Standard (Artefact): Lichebone Standard
Knight-Azyros (100)
- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail
- Artefact: God-forged Blade

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
10 x Judicators (280)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Decimators (340)
10 x Protectors (340)
- 2x Starsoul Maces

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

So i come with idea. 3 drops. Battalion is the "their sky", Vexilor on the ground, Azyros in normal sky".  Later Vexilor just teleport himself with his standard to heal everyone. Vandus give attack aura and delete stuff, Azyros give rerolls and ward 6+. 

Seems a bit of a waste to have the vexillor teleport himself. Why not leave the azyros on the ground and the vexillor in azyr? The azyros should be quick enough to get in position, especially if you give the enemy the inistive in t1

On 8/2/2020 at 1:09 AM, Nizrah said:

Sadly yes, ******. Thats a bummer. But i can just take LC for one of the 5 Judi. And its still should work. 

How about that list (2 drops) and you've got 100 points left :

Leaders
Knight-Vexillor (110)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
- Treasured Standard (Artefact): Lichebone Standard
Knight-Azyros (100)
- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (200)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
10 x Protectors (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
10 x Decimators (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (90)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Battalions
Warrior Brotherhood (170)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

Edited by Maturin

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

How about that list (2 drops) and you've got 100 points left :

Leaders
Knight-Vexillor (110)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
- Treasured Standard (Artefact): Lichebone Standard
Knight-Azyros (100)
- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (200)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
10 x Protectors (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
10 x Decimators (340)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (90)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Battalions
Warrior Brotherhood (170)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Wounds: 133

Im not sure that without Vandus extra attack this will have enough killing power :/ Vandus x3 on 10 protectors is amazing, its 60 attacks. Also warrior brotherhood start 9 from enemy and skyborne slayers 5.

Edited by Nizrah

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

Im not sure that without Vandus extra attack this will have enough killing power :/ Vandus x3 on 10 protectors is amazing, its 60 attacks. Also warrior brotherhood start 9 from enemy and skyborne slayers 5.

mm that means no starsoul maces and then its a lot of attacks hitting on 3+ wounding on 3+ doing -1 for 1 damage. thats a lot of investment with vandus and very weak to screening. Cause to pull this off you cant put your skyborne slayers on the flank cause vandus has to be in range of them. And all that trust in a 8 wound hero..Im not sure. :)

On 7/26/2020 at 10:47 AM, Maturin said:

What list do you want to do ? If you go ORder that's because you have something specific in mind, right ?

Well, there are some beautiful models in Grand Alliance Order that do not only look amazing, but also allow for a whole "deepstrike" force. Skyborne Slayers would compliment such a collection. That's it. It's all about the option to deploy nothing at the start of the game.

6 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Well, there are some beautiful models in Grand Alliance Order that do not only look amazing, but also allow for a whole "deepstrike" force. Skyborne Slayers would compliment such a collection. That's it. It's all about the option to deploy nothing at the start of the game.

Which one are you thinking about ? Khinerais?

38 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Which one are you thinking about ? Khinerais?

Namarti Thralls led by the priest who allows for deepstrike

Hearthguard Berzerkers led by a rune smiter (also deepstrike)

Khinerais

I'm still thinking to start a 1000 point project. Just like the models and the theme.

a min battalion of skyborne slayers comes to nearly 1000 points and would allow for a 2000k all deepstrike list.

With our new points I am thinking of the following 4-Drop List (no sense in competing with KO, Tzeentch for 1 Drop, everything else seems to be at least 5 Drop?).

Skyborne Slayers is a big distraction, stalls the enemy and scores Objevtives while Prime and Evos act as precision strikes.
Combo of Prime, Lord Celestands Hammer Cloak and Heraldor with Judies allows for rather realiable Hero Sniping.

Thoughts?

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Celestant-Prime (300)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Protectors (170)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
5 x Decimators (170)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- 4x Grandstaves

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 118

2 hours ago, Primes said:
With our new points I am thinking of the following 4-Drop List (no sense in competing with KO, Tzeentch for 1 Drop, everything else seems to be at least 5 Drop?).

Skyborne Slayers is a big distraction, stalls the enemy and scores Objevtives while Prime and Evos act as precision strikes.
Combo of Prime, Lord Celestands Hammer Cloak and Heraldor with Judies allows for rather realiable Hero Sniping.

Thoughts?

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Celestant-Prime (300)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Protectors (170)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
5 x Decimators (170)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- 4x Grandstaves

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 118

From my experience. Small units of paladins dont do anything usefull. Ive seen a 5 men squad of decimators with this battalion get some work against hordes if you activate them first but after that 2x5 is super small to get anything done. Even dropping them at 5 inch and putting 2 maces in isnt enough most of the time. When i look at the newer meta lists i think you need atleast 2 hammer units and then a turn 3 prime for the second hammer. A turn 3 prime does around 15 damage. Its enough to kill weakened dudes but not strong enough to headbut into a big unit. Your evocators are right now your damage dealers they would love a lord arcanum on dracoline with them to put them to there best effect. If you remove the prime and put more points into the damage of the evocators it could be enough.  My best games are with atleast 1x10 protectors but never 2x5 paladins. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Primes said:

Or you can do a total opposite and focus on shooting : https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/26289-maturins-emporium-of-wonky-lists/?do=findComment&comment=444335

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 7:26 PM, Juicy said:

From my experience. Small units of paladins dont do anything usefull. Ive seen a 5 men squad of decimators with this battalion get some work against hordes if you activate them first but after that 2x5 is super small to get anything done. Even dropping them at 5 inch and putting 2 maces in isnt enough most of the time. When i look at the newer meta lists i think you need atleast 2 hammer units and then a turn 3 prime for the second hammer. A turn 3 prime does around 15 damage. Its enough to kill weakened dudes but not strong enough to headbut into a big unit. Your evocators are right now your damage dealers they would love a lord arcanum on dracoline with them to put them to there best effect. If you remove the prime and put more points into the damage of the evocators it could be enough.  My best games are with atleast 1x10 protectors but never 2x5 paladins. :)

Will be trying out the Skyborne Slayers soon, with Evocators on Dracolines to mitigate the general immobility. Enough points to bump one of the paladins up to a unit of 10. 

My question though: are decimators or protectors better for a unit of 10?

Edited by Evantas
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Evantas said:

Will be trying out the Skyborne Slayers soon, with Evocators on Dracolines to mitigate the general immobility. Enough points to bump one of the paladins up to a unit of 10. 

My question though: are decimators or protectors better for a unit of 10?

100% protectors. Reason is the 3 inch reach. It means with 4 starsoul maces u can get some more attacks in. My 10 protectors do an average of 12-14 damage total to a unit with an 4+ armour save in my games. Where my decimators hardly find any hordes to fight and then only do damage with the starsoul maces.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a 24 player 1 day tournament with skyborne slayers. Took second place. I failed to complete 1 auxiliary objective sadly. I played against khorne, lumineth and k- overlords.

I felt even with outdated low damage warscrolls the deepstrike ability still has a place if you know what you are doing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

Played a 24 player 1 day tournament with skyborne slayers. Took second place. I failed to complete 1 auxiliary objective sadly. I played against khorne, lumineth and k- overlords.

I felt even with outdated low damage warscrolls the deepstrike ability still has a place if you know what you are doing.  

Briefly, what scenarios, army compositions and what Aux Objectives did you pick?

Edited by Evantas