Post battletomealooza what are you hoping for/expecting?

JPjr

13 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Is this a character from a novel? I've not read any so I'm not sure who this is.

No but its a result of GW calling all their famous Dark elves by the same freaking name convention!(and me then mixing them up)

Malekith was his original name that I remember because that's his name in TW Warhammer. However it changed to Malerion - which is who I meant.  He is the leader of the Shadow elves, the Son of Morathi. The Shadow Realm is basically all his barring a tiny dark corner where he allowed his mother to settle with her Daughters of Khaine. 

However Malaneth was me simply mixing his name up with the Dark Elf out of the Gotrek books/audionovels for AoS. Sorry not dark elf she's a Daughter of Khaine - totally different to Dark Elves..... totally just ask her (not Gotrek) 

9 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Oh I know who Malekith/Malerion is, but this other Mal threw me for a loop...

I just hope the next major dark elfy character doesn't have a name starting with m! 

Also you need get Realmslayer! How can any AoS fan not have picked up the audio novel with Brian Blessed?!?!?! 

Seraphon: Less summoning but more punch for basic troops.

models:

- new Kroxigors, more dynamic Saurus Warriors and Knights, new Razordons and Firesalamanders, a new Slann, endless spells, a scenery piece (floating pyramid?).

All these models should have a slightly more technological Design (more Necron-tech-Armor parts like the Carnosaur Rider has, while still being vaguely Aztec but different)

slaves to darkness:

(just unlikely hopes)

new Barbarians (foot and mounted), a war mammoth-like-thing, some kind of barbarian berzerkers, a javelin throwing unit, endless spells.

Shadow Aelves:

- Drake riders (big mounts like the Dracoth riders), a really cool black dragon, malerion and I don‘t k ow about the rest as long as the modelrange is bigger than IDK‘s... some kind of shadow Valkyrs?

Edited by JackStreicher
  • LOVE IT! 2

I might be alone on this one, but IDK and DOK need endless spells. They're both AOS 1.5 armies. They aren't fully 2.0. So after all the other armies in desperate need of updates (Seraphon & KO I'm looking at you) then I expect a book and very small or no model  release for IDK and DOK. (I'd be hoping for more but I expect nothing).

After that Light and Shadow Aelves and please GW some new mortal human order models. It'll be 5 years in July since AOS launched with not 1 new mortal human (i.e not SCE)!

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Thanks 1

Honestly I'm surprised that both Idoneth and Daughters don't have Endless Spells. Orruks and Cities not getting them was another surprise; but they at least got some bonus to using the existing ones. Endless Spells are clearly something central to AoS 2.0. Then again both the armies could do with a second wave of models. Daughters could do with a new leader that isn't in the cauldron set at the very least

• LOVE IT! 1

23 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

It'll be 5 years in July since AOS launched with not 1 new mortal human (i.e not SCE)!

It's funny you mention that because the only model they did release, the Excelsior Warpriest, was inexplicably banished from matched play. :( It's a shame too, it was a cool new sculpt aesthetic.

12 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

It's funny you mention that because the only model they did release, the Excelsior Warpriest, was inexplicably banished from matched play. :( It's a shame too, it was a cool new sculpt aesthetic.

I am surprise it didn't get rerelease when CoS came like with the Doomseeker when Fyreslayer where release.

then again a lot of the unique stuff from Silver tower are currently missing like the two Aelves, the Warpriest, Skaven deathrunner, and the Grot scuttlings

10 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Whilst I would be happy to see any of the above ( and get to play with some of my models again ), what I would really love is a new Destruction faction that is not Ogor or Greenskin related, and distinct from Gorkamorka  lore-wise.  A Human faction would be great, or some insectoid race, for example.  I want Destruction to have a bit more diversity.

but what about dragons?

my ideal destruction faction would be tyranid-seraphon-moria goblin hybrid style faction of hive dragons. with goblin sized mini-drakes, gaunt sized medium drakes, tyranid warrior size drakes, etc, etc. useing dark poor qaulity metals and swarming all over the place.

their plague would be 2 fold

1- like army ants or locusts they would need alot of food

2- like dragons in myths and magpies they would love collecting and hordeing things

additionally they would be arrogant, challenge seekers.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, xking said:

At the end of the forbidden power book, Sigmar called a  council of war, summoning the  greatest of his servants, advisers and champions in Sigmaron.  So we should expect plot progress and a counterattack from order against death.

I'm so torn. I loves some Sigmar, going back to early WFB. On the other hand, all things undead ... well ... that's my jam. 

I actually hate Nagash and Arkhan for their betrayal of the Nehekharans, but I somehow also love them both. Go undead!

Gahhhh!

Imma throw my love at the undead, but won't be too sad if Sigmar brings Karl and Deathclaw (that bird was a good boy) back to kick undead butt.

Dammit. I just want Tomb Kings and Empire back. ☹️

• Like 1

So obviously we're going to get some more aelf stuff in the near future. It might just be Kurnothi, or it might be the Light/Dark elves that keep getting mentioned. 

Out side of that I think GW has 4 options.  
1)  Keep Dropping new or semi-new armies like Bonereapers/Nighthaunt  
This seems the most obvious choice, the new elves could make up 2-3 of those kind of releases.  

2) They can refresh existing old ranges. 
  Skaven and Seraphon are in dire need of new models. A lot of the old empire stuff could be updated for AoS.

3) Expand on smaller armies.  
Plenty of factions have 2-3 units and a few heroes. It's perfectly reasonable that these factions could get an expansion that perhaps doubles their model range. Kind of how Gloomspite worked. Old army but got a significant new release.  
Quite a few armies are still missing endless spells and terrain, so that could fill some release windows without affecting exiting battletomes too much.

4) Start the cycle again and start releasing 3.0 battletomes (with various model updates just like we've seen to date). Or we could see AoS 3.0 rebuilt completely from the ground up with significant core rule changes.... and then you need to whole battletome cycle again. 

1 and 3 seem the most likely. Number 2 can happen on just a miniature front but I'm super wary of anything that would introduce new units and new rules because then that would presumably require a new book.... and then we get into number 4 territory which I'd like to avoid.  

It's also kind of why I hate not having proper full digital rules. 
If they had battletomes or at least the rules/points portions of them digital only, then they could easily slot in a new unit or two into an existing army, or update under performing warscrolls without having to wait for a GHB or without leaving them all by themselves on the store page like the warcry and underworlds warbands (or in random white dwarf issues like the special slaanesh sub-faction). 

30 minutes ago, Inquisitorsz said:It's also kind of why I hate not having proper full digital rules. 

If they had battletomes or at least the rules/points portions of them digital only, then they could easily slot in a new unit or two into an existing army, or update under performing warscrolls without having to wait for a GHB or without leaving them all by themselves on the store page like the warcry and underworlds warbands (or in random white dwarf issues like the special slaanesh sub-faction). 

They could do that as well with the current books, all they‘d need to do would be to release some die of page in a white dwarf with the updated rules (do you can put it in your physical book)

What I want:

- Replacing metal and finecast for plastics. This would make it easier for GW to have less differing processes.

- Adding a Cities terrain piece. Cities are defined by buildings. Not having that was baffling.

- Cities Underworld/Warcry/RPG warband. With a Witch hunter, Priest and proper general (and some elves and dwarves)

- Updates for the earliest 2.0 books.

- Expansions for the smallest armies.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I don't see GW going over 30 "real" factions, barring ones like different Stormhosts getting their own books.

Big, flashy, new factions probably sell a lot better than model updates to existing ones, but releasing a new army every year is not a sustainable practice; recent productions expansions will probably extend the period GW can keep doing it, but unless they switch to 3D printing minis one day, they won't be able to keep it up forever; eventually they'll reach a capacity for the amount of models they can produce and stock.

This makes replacement models a bit more appealing, as it doesn't increase their carrying capacity, it just swaps out an older part, and causes some people to double-dip on that unit, or others to buy it when they had no intention of doing so before, very rarely is a model update regarded as inferior to what it's replacing. But, a new version of something old is mostly attractive to people who already play the army it's for, and there's a good chance they'll already have that old model, and won't buy a new version.

I want GW to expand and update existing armies, but something tells me that new ones simply sell better, and that they'll focus on those.

3 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

but what about dragons?

my ideal destruction faction would be tyranid-seraphon-moria goblin hybrid style faction of hive dragons. with goblin sized mini-drakes, gaunt sized medium drakes, tyranid warrior size drakes, etc, etc. useing dark poor qaulity metals and swarming all over the place.

their plague would be 2 fold

1- like army ants or locusts they would need alot of food

2- like dragons in myths and magpies they would love collecting and hordeing things

additionally they would be arrogant, challenge seekers.

This would be great too.  I only gave a couple of options, but there are many possibilities to introduce a new concept into Destruction.  I'm not too fussed what it is,; whatever it might be would enhance the Alliance as a whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KriticalKhan said:

Personally, I don't see GW going over 30 "real" factions, barring ones like different Stormhosts getting their own books.

Big, flashy, new factions probably sell a lot better than model updates to existing ones, but releasing a new army every year is not a sustainable practice; recent productions expansions will probably extend the period GW can keep doing it, but unless they switch to 3D printing minis one day, they won't be able to keep it up forever; eventually they'll reach a capacity for the amount of models they can produce and stock.

This makes replacement models a bit more appealing, as it doesn't increase their carrying capacity, it just swaps out an older part, and causes some people to double-dip on that unit, or others to buy it when they had no intention of doing so before, very rarely is a model update regarded as inferior to what it's replacing. But, a new version of something old is mostly attractive to people who already play the army it's for, and there's a good chance they'll already have that old model, and won't buy a new version.

I want GW to expand and update existing armies, but something tells me that new ones simply sell better, and that they'll focus on those.

Maybe there is another way: Diversify possible builds for each army. If, say, a pure Stonehorn force becomes viable, people will be interested to buy more of the existing models. When hordes became a thing, people had to buy more basic troops etc. That’s one reason why I think artillery is coming.

I‘d also be very interested in the number of sales for old and new armies. I can imagine that for someone new to the hobby it doesn’t matter, since everything is equally new to them. Many veterans may be more interested in adding to their existing armies. And those who come back after a pause may still like the old armies more. Thus, I wouldn’t be so sure that new armies necessarily sell better than new-made classics. 

1 hour ago, KriticalKhan said:

they could release kits that make more units then the kits it replaces, which encourages older players to buy it and newer players to buy more of it. this expands the number of units they can support with the same production (then again this kit will be in greater demand and thus take up more storage then the kit it replaces)

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

What I want:

- Replacing metal and finecast for plastics. This would make it easier for GW to have less differing processes.

- Adding a Cities terrain piece. Cities are defined by buildings. Not having that was baffling.

- Cities Underworld/Warcry/RPG warband. With a Witch hunter, Priest and proper general (and some elves and dwarves)

- Updates for the earliest 2.0 books.

- Expansions for the smallest armies.

Updated Nurgle battletome is desperately needed! By far the weakest chaos force right now which is a shame as it has a big selection of great minis. 

5 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Updated Nurgle battletome is desperately needed! By far the weakest chaos force right now which is a shame as it has a big selection of great minis. 

It's the nature of things.

If I run a series of projects, even though I deliver the same project in different clients, it will be smoother for the last ones. Feedback and own lessons learned, as well as new options that didn't exist for the first client makes it a wholly different beast.

The client and individuals in my team determine a great deal, but you can't underestimate the value of experience and feedback.

I´m primarily a Destruction fan so anything new related to that would most likely make me happy but I would really love a unit expansion of the orruks, Ironjaws preferably.

Here´s just a few quick ideas;

• a Megaboss on a Gore-Grunta - might be too close to the Maw-Krusha kit...
  • speaking of Maw-Krushas what about juvenile Maw-Krushas with a bunch of Brutes riding on them, having a blast with all the mayhem they and their ride is causing?
  • Keep the trend of maximum brutality and bring a real heavy mob consisting of bosses. Heavier and better armoured then the "normal" Brute kit, with more exotic weapons (perhaps inspired from gladiatorial battles?).
  • or stray from the brutal (and cunning) thing that Ironjawz currently sport for a focus on cunning for a few kits? Let´s say instead of front-line assault troops they have now to more skirmish and ranged options? A big orruk with a massive bow and arrows the size of short spears would be quite epic, not to mention taking the 40k kommandos and make an orruk version of them.
  • I would also like an updated version of the Ardboys but that feels quite unlikely to happen.

In short give me more Destruction kits! A destruction faction that´s completely out of the blue, that no one expects would also be welcome. Elementals, old/new race that wants to destroy the world so that they can reshape it in their own vision or just a race that is not one of the traditional races associated with Destruction (Gitz, Orruks and Ogors).

44 minutes ago, Wobbly said:

I´m primarily a Destruction fan so anything new related to that would most likely make me happy but I would really love a unit expansion of the orruks, Ironjaws preferably.

Here´s just a few quick ideas;

• a Megaboss on a Gore-Grunta - might be too close to the Maw-Krusha kit...
  • speaking of Maw-Krushas what about juvenile Maw-Krushas with a bunch of Brutes riding on them, having a blast with all the mayhem they and their ride is causing?
  • Keep the trend of maximum brutality and bring a real heavy mob consisting of bosses. Heavier and better armoured then the "normal" Brute kit, with more exotic weapons (perhaps inspired from gladiatorial battles?).
  • or stray from the brutal (and cunning) thing that Ironjawz currently sport for a focus on cunning for a few kits? Let´s say instead of front-line assault troops they have now to more skirmish and ranged options? A big orruk with a massive bow and arrows the size of short spears would be quite epic, not to mention taking the 40k kommandos and make an orruk version of them.
  • I would also like an updated version of the Ardboys but that feels quite unlikely to happen.

In short give me more Destruction kits! A destruction faction that´s completely out of the blue, that no one expects would also be welcome. Elementals, old/new race that wants to destroy the world so that they can reshape it in their own vision or just a race that is not one of the traditional races associated with Destruction (Gitz, Orruks and Ogors).

In keeping with the two person spear, why not have a bow or slingshot that requires two orks to wield? One holds the bow, the other the string (yes, and I know this would not yield asmuch power as you might think).

I'd love some destruction dwarves, humans or elves, or the dragon idea floating about earlier, 

• Haha 1

After we get all tomes updated they need to release a human army for AOS. Whether its re done empire or something else the setting needs a human army. A proper one. I think the new chaos warriors will be a big success and they are almost the same as their old world counterparts. Minus a storm cast head. 

Imagine the success the new empire would have. Judging by the out of stock status of half the old empire minis I belive these still sell very well. So they need to be update and shown the proper respect. Not have half the units squatted again for no good reason. 

• Like 1