Post battletomealooza what are you hoping for/expecting?

JPjr

I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently.  First of all, rule wise, they need to get everyone up to a 2.0 level standard pronto.  And that’s before any major new releases.  Fix what is already out there.

Then, or rather at the same time, they need to go through the range with a fine tooth comb and replace old metals, fine cast and plastics with up to date kits.  Take the Gloomspite Gitz for example: we need plastic replacements for the Loonboss with Giant Cave Squig, the Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider and the Madcap Shaman.  There’s also that nice Loonboss on a Giant Cave Squig mini that needs to become available ASAP.  The rank and file moonclan grots are ok imo (they suit the massed ranks of faceless goons vibe they have going) but the current spider riders could do with a more dynamic looking update.  It’s not essential but it would be nice.  Maybe one that ties them and the new Scuttleboss together better aesthetically.  And then there’s skaven...wow they need model updates fast.

I’m also thinking of Cities Of Sigmar.  A lot of their range was squatted, which means there’s ample opportunity to add new stuff in the future.  For example, bring in the Excelsior Warpriest (either the silver tower mini or a nice new one) for the devoted of Sigmar.  Also, how about a plastic hero on Demi-gryph kit to plug a gap between the foot heroes and the monster riding ones.  Two options; free guild general, and alternate excelsior warpriest.  Then, you could bring back regular dwarf warriors to plug that gap in their range (because right now they’re all elites).  New models that match the hammered/iron breaker kits better.  Basically cheaper longbeards without the grumbling.  And that’s just for starters...

• Like 1

Updated tomes for the remaining three factions in desperate need (Tzeentch, KO and Seraphon). I suspect a Nurgle and maybe nIghthaunt refresh as well however it is not as likely as the first 3 tomes. 

Refresh for model ranges like seraphon (new sculpts), skaven (replacements for metal/finecast/old plastics), beasts etc. 

Updates for smaller ranges like Ironjawz a centerpiece for bonesplitterz etc.

Endless spells for the factions that did not receive them OR equivalents  similar to the endless prayers khorne has. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, xking said:

We need a Devoted of Sigmar release.  I'm talking new  crusader knight kit(that can be built into different  religious knightly orders) , new witch hunters(anti-chaos) , a vampire hunter(anti-death).  A new war-shrine kit that can be built into different kinds of shrines,  clerics, faith militant heavy infantry, war-vestals of sigmar. New warrior priest of sigmar   and  cherubs/erotes.

While I do like all kinds of humans in a monster world, I actually do not agree with this as a separate faction.

Freeguild is plenty religious as it is, and a bit of dressing up would make them fit very well into a more religious army.

I do think we need a priest and witch hunter, and a paladin/crusader knight as a mounted hero option would be perfect.

Also, any female order humans are welcome. Or just any female humans that are somewhat affordable (buying warqueens and Godsworn Hunt in bulk is a bit excessive) for conversions.

• Like 3

Based on all of the existing dark elf stuff + shadow warriors which have mostly been grouped in with them getting released in cities I would be very surprised if there is a Shadow elf release next year.  The very fact that their predecessor units all got a cities release would make me think we are more like 2 years from Shadow Elves.  The fact that the High Elves were almost entirely excluded from Cities, however, tells me that a Light Elf army, on the other hand, very much is going to be on the release docket for 2020.  So I would think only 1 elf army gets seen next year and its the light variety. 

46 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Also, any female order humans are welcome. Or just any female humans that are somewhat affordable (buying warqueens and Godsworn Hunt in bulk is a bit excessive) for conversions.

This! Just more female models for factions in general. It takes an awful lot of effort (and difficulty with lack of kits) for me to add some mixed genders within my units and especially for free cities where I get the feeling it becomes a case of every able bodied man and woman are more than welcome to sign up to fight (I mean if they have no issues with the elf females fighting in those cities why not the human and dwarf ones?)

As for battletomes once everything is updated I think any new releases should be more split fairly amongst the alleigances (as much as I and many others all love elves it is a bit unfair to get loads of quick fire order releases when everyone else gets a new faction release/update either once a year or once every x years. I'd love love love soulblight to get a full update with plastic vampires because man I want to field a vampire heavy army, I'd also like to see zombies/deadwalkers get an update of sorts so they actually become viable (but this gets more into just wishlisting). I think adding small additions to forces is a great thing and easily done with warscrolls (that's how the heralds were introduced) I'd like to see not too many brand new factions made purely due to the standpoint of too many small armies could create a lot of game clutter (however releases new ideas and aesthetics that can be linked into existing armies would be super cool and easier than some might think, especially in terms of chaos [as demonstrated by the range of aesthetics in warcry])

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

While I do like all kinds of humans in a monster world, I actually do not agree with this as a separate faction.

Freeguild is plenty religious as it is, and a bit of dressing up would make them fit very well into a more religious army.

I do think we need a priest and witch hunter, and a paladin/crusader knight as a mounted hero option would be perfect.

Yes, Freeguilders are religious but they worship different gods, they're not all sigmarites. And in the lore there is something called Order of Azyr, which is an independent body. IMO there should be Devoted for Sigmar army.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michu said:

Yes, Freeguilders are religious but they worship different gods, they're not all sigmarites. And in the lore there is something called Order of Azyr, which is an independent body. IMO there should be Devoted for Sigmar army.

Well, we don't need to agree about everything I agree they are not all Sigmarites, and that is just the way I myself like it. I wish you luck with your crusade (not that the comments were hostle in any way, shape or form, just using the term because you want crusaders).

43 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

This! Just more female models for factions in general. It takes an awful lot of effort (and difficulty with lack of kits) for me to add some mixed genders within my units and especially for free cities where I get the feeling it becomes a case of every able bodied man and woman are more than welcome to sign up to fight (I mean if they have no issues with the elf females fighting in those cities why not the human and dwarf ones?)

Chaos has two female humans in the Godsworn Hunt set, one in the Darkoath Warqueen, and 10 in Warcry stuff (whose heads are harder to use) three Splinterd Fang, 4 Corvus Cabal, 1 Iron Golem,  2 splintered beasts. I don't think the Unmade have female minis in them, but I'm not sure.

I think those 13 are all the female humans in the whole of AoS (not counting Stormcast as human). There are no female dwarves (at least, that I can distinguish).

Then there's one chos familiar of a tiny succubus, Valkia the Bloody, Sisters of the Thorn and Watch, Sorceress, Sorceress on dragon, most of Daughters of Khaine, 4 of the Namarti Reavers, Isharan Tidecaster, a few Sylvaneth, Stormcast, (then, of course, the female maneater, two sets of banshees, vampire, Lady Olynder and the female ghoul of grymwatch, but now I am becoming unsure).

That's not really helping me make a bit of a mixed set of guards. (cheapest are 10 euro per piece for female humans, in Corvus Cabal and Godsworn Hunt and I think 4 per piece for elves in Sisters of the Watch). If your play location accepts non-GW boxes, go for Frostgrave Soldiers 2, which are all female and have a good selection.

• Like 1

It’s something I’m almost sure they’d never do but I’d love them to bring out almost like booster sets for certain units of just say 5 or so female minis or whatever’s missing to make them more interesting.

like I really enjoyed painting the two Kairic Acolytes from the Eyes of the Nine warband, thought about buying a full unit, saw they were just all bros and lost some of that enthusiasm. 

If I could just buy a set of 5 female acolytes or whatever I’d jump at that.

Anyway fair play to GW they’re at least trying and doing better but still a long way to go and there’s still a lot of ranges where you get the feeling it just wouldn’t even occur to them to produce female models and there gets a point where they’ll have used up the goodwill they may have engendered.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 minutes ago, JPjr said:

It’s something I’m almost sure they’d never do but I’d love them to bring out almost like booster sets for certain units of just say 5 or so female minis or whatever’s missing to make them more interesting.

like I really enjoyed painting the two Kairic Acolytes from the Eyes of the Nine warband, thought about buying a full unit, saw they were just all bros and lost some of that enthusiasm. 

If I could just buy a set of 5 female acolytes or whatever I’d jump at that.

Anyway fair play to GW they’re at least trying and doing better but still a long way to go and there’s still a lot of ranges where you get the feeling it just wouldn’t even occur to them to produce female models and there gets a point where they’ll have used up the goodwill they may have engendered.

Even the blood and steroids Khorne and Iron Golem warband both have a female, and the bearded lady maneater and the Grymwatch make clear it's not just asthetically pleasing women, so I think that leaves just the dwarves and orcs.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

Even the blood and steroids Khorne and Iron Golem warband both have a female, and the bearded lady maneater and the Grymwatch make clear it's not just asthetically pleasing women, so I think that leaves just the dwarves and orcs.

From what I have gathered/read between the lines of the Orruk battletome GW hints at that our AOS orruks share the 40k Orkz physiology. A fungus and animal hybrid of sorts.

Orruks are incredibly difficult to eradicate from an area once they infest it, especially if that area has lots of caves, fissures and dark places where they can spawn their young. The scholars of Hysh believe that when an orruk is slain and its corpse left to rot in the right conditions, it will deliquesce into fungal jelly. It then puts down thin, whitish strands into the earth below that can harness nutrients and the inherent magical power of the realm itself. From this greenish flesh sac comes the young of the race, glistening and pallid, gnawing their way free from the meaty jelly of their progenitor.

I'd like to draw attention to the existence of these fine specimens:

99550909003_BBOrcCheerleaders01.jpg

(Yes I know blood bowl is not canonical, but where's the fun in that?)

1 minute ago, Icegoat said:

Newest kharadron short story both main characters are female duardin

Represention in mini form. Zero. 

All of them wear bulky pressurised suits, any of them could be women and nobody would be able to tell. 

4 minutes ago, DINOSTAR said:

I've not seen this anywhere but here.  Is it true?  What else do we know?!

We know that the Dark Aelves herald from the realm of Shadow where they are the dominant population (Morathi rules a tiny dark corner). Malarion is their leader (Morathi's son) and there is some artwork of him showing him looking VERY much like your classic demon - claws, wings, horns. The faction has some concept art in the big rule book and is said to have a draconic appearance to their reformed souls harvested from Slaanesh's belly. Meanwhile the peoples are said to be like the mistweaver model.

The angelic are the second creation of the great Elven Gods of light and are basically the upgraded version of the Idoneth (who failed and ran away). They are siad to be your classic angels. 

Other than that I don't think we know anything for certain. 

20 minutes ago, Overread said:

We know that the Dark Aelves herald from the realm of Shadow where they are the dominant population (Morathi rules a tiny dark corner). Malarion is their leader (Morathi's son) and there is some artwork of him showing him looking VERY much like your classic demon - claws, wings, horns. The faction has some concept art in the big rule book and is said to have a draconic appearance to their reformed souls harvested from Slaanesh's belly. Meanwhile the peoples are said to be like the mistweaver model.

The angelic are the second creation of the great Elven Gods of light and are basically the upgraded version of the Idoneth (who failed and ran away). They are siad to be your classic angels. 

Other than that I don't think we know anything for certain. 

Aren´t thoose the snippets from the Core Book Lore? I always found them to be a bit thin to be seen as an announcement, rather like putting a brick in a door so it doesn´t shut close. Like some concept they may follow up later.

I belive the Kurnothi are our only hint at a new faction right now, but they propably may be just an experiment by gw to see how people react to them. I belive this is the same as for the Gitmob Riders coming soon. Or the Darkoath Warband beeing GW testing resonance for given design.

To commit to the general topic: I strongly belive we will see the same pattern of releases like we have in 40k: 1 book a month with some additional rules and maybe models for some factions, campaign rules etc. to keep people busy. From time to time maybe some reworks, shifts from failcast into plastic like with aeldari and so on. And, rarely, a new faction uprising. Althrough I belive that GW will keep the pace of 1-2 new factions a year.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:01 PM, Barkanaut said:

Kharadron Overlords army has lots of issues and gaps that need filling. Huge issues and gaps. No good melee options, our firepower is weak, and lots of units are paying too much points for their multi-role status namely the Frigate and Ironclad. In the lore it’s been said they are innovators so it’s easy for them to get updated as they are always inventing stuff. Simple buffs will not be enough due to in lore how they designed these ships. 

We need a new hero who makes another unit battleline, we need a basic melee troop, and more advance one. Finally a dedicated from the ground up combat ship would be fantastic no transport capacity. Then finally the obligatory terrain and possibly an endless spells style thing (endless machinery?) and we’ll be in a decent spot with some build diversity. 

Will we get any of this? I doubt it. I have a feeling KO won’t get anything in our new book. GW is making it abundantly clear who they dislike. 

You think GW dont like KO  or their players? Are you being serious?

44 minutes ago, CDM said:

You think GW dont like KO  or their players? Are you being serious?

Given how uninspired our Shadespire warband was. Also the fact that at almost every opportunity they nerfed us into oblivion yes. The fact that when asked for Facebook feedback we were the top 3rd most upvoted/liked/whatever comment was how bad we were and in dire need of a fixing? Did we get a response from them in all these years? A simple acknowledgement of how bad we are or something? Every time they claim to "buff us or band-aid" our points they do it in just such a way that we never leave the position we are in because they do points changes on everyone else. 

Yes I think until I see some cold hard evidence to the contrary GW does in fact hate us and I have a bad feeling our 2.0 book is going to be a rush job and have no models. Those are the cold hard facts and until I see otherwise I would advise everyone to stay way from KO. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

@Barkanaut you realise Slaves to Darkness didn't have any Battletome through the whole life of AoS so far and Chaos is the BIG enemy of the whole Mortal Realms. In addition most armies didn't get many if any new models. Cities lost models; Orruks didn't get any; many got only one (Skaven and Flesh Eaters still haven't got the retail release of models in duel army boxes from the start of the year). 

KO might not be Stormcast, but honestly they are no more "hated" than any other army. 

Several AoS armies are smaller than KO. Look at Fyreslayers or Flesheaters; both armies with fewer models than KO in general. Meanwhile armies like Skaven and Serphon have loads of legacy models.

Suffice to say that aside from Stormcast, Khorne and one or two others; most armies in AoS are due for updates in terms of models. Be it broadening the range or replacing old sculpts with new ones. 

Also don't forget Seraphon have been without a tome for 2.0 for as long as KO have and yet last christmas their battleforce sold out about the quickest. So GW are also looking at the real sales data for armies. They, honestly, have a better handle of what armies are selling well more so than most gamers (since our views are often heavily influenced by the community(ies that we directly interact with.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1