inofficial AoS siege rules discussion

Aginor

Hey y'all!

I've mentioned once or twice that I have made up a few rules for sieges to use in AoS battles with my buddy, because we were disappointed by the siege rules in the GHB. A few users were interested in how we do that.

So here they are.
They are very basic though, and I am aware that they are horribly unbalanced because they basically undo some powerful abilities some armies have.  I'd be interested in making them better and perhaps produce some siege system for everyone to use.

Terrain pieces like walls, watchtowers or anything else that blocks movement is a fortification. Fortifications have hit points. So they can be destroyed, but not by everything. Since we don't have weapon types in AoS we just did the following:

- 20 hit points (can depend on size. We gave small walls less hit points and big fortifications could have more)
- 3+ save
- 4+ save against mortal wounds
- immune to rend
- optional: reduces damage per attack to 1
- optional: halves non-artillery ranged damage, rounding down (so most archers would do zero damage)

Any unit with the keyword "artillery" or "monster" can damage walls with its normal attacks, including rend.

To prevent units of some armies (like my Seraphon) from teleporting behind the walls the idea was to let proper walls count as models of the defender.

The defender places his fortifications before the normal setup. I had point prices prepared for the walls but they weren't really balanced so I won't post them. The goal was to balance the attacker's army so they would need an army that is around 50%-100% bigger than the defending army. We played a 1500 points attacking Ironjawz army vs. a 1000 points Seraphon army and the IJs barely won. I was defending with a wall made of five terrain pieces.

Another idea was battering rams.
The attacker can either bring a ram or declare a monster of his army to be a ram (like a Bastiladon for example). My idea was to let it do heavy damage to walls.

Armed fortifications like defense towers would work with the watch tower warscroll but have fixed weapons (I built a weapon platform with the weapons of a Stegadon and a small terrain piece that would act as a static engine of the gods for example , I'll post a few pics soon) that could be used whenever a unit was garrisoning them.

I had no good ideas for tunneling/starving yet.

Ok, that's it for now. Sadly I lost my papers but that should be most of the rules. I'll add more if I remember them again. :D

Edited by Aginor
  • Thanks 3

Here is a picture of my fighting platform. It would use the Stegadon's "sunfire throwers" attack. But you could easily just give it some rocks to throw down or a kettle with boiling oil or so.

20170805_182452.jpg.0fed69843888442325afe14f2ef23479.jpg

This is the static EotG. It needs a wizard or priest hero to man it.

20170520_161342.jpg.57bce2778a45e8ee8faa122016c7dbea.jpg

And here are some fortifications:

20170502_225218.jpg.404ac03774aa658cdb1249e18564129b.jpg

And here is a shot from one of the games we played. (First edition AoS, hence the Skink Chief on the platform). The Seraphon are defending their improvised defense post.

(And I just noticed that I was still playing on the bare table, seems I didn't have my Kraken mat yet).

The Ironjawz (not pictured. Mixed force with a Maw-Krusha, some Ardboyz and Gore-Gruntas IIRC) ended up breaking through, destroying two terrain pieces IIRC. It was fun.

20170807_223438.jpg.23cabc804f7cbf3096266f8b8cb2f53e.jpg

Edited by Aginor
  • LOVE IT! 1