It's time to mourn. Fimir and Tamurkhan being discontinued

Eevika

29 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Wonder how many of the big Khorne Dragon they've sold. Would love a whole range of Titan-Class AoS models, but AoS in general seems to have barely any Forge World stuff in games compared to 40k. Suppose the fact 30k stuff can mostly be played in 40k helps a lot too. Would also be good to get better rules for chaos dwarves - there's a few of them in tournaments right now but a few new models and high power level rules would be great.

I am tempted to get the dragon just a bit too tight on money to make the purchase right now. It would be lovely to have a range of massive beasts

21 hours ago, Icegoat said:

GW are clearly looking to kill off forge World have been for a few years now. Or at least for definite the AOS arm. Why be in competition with yourself when you can now make plastics that are better sculpts and much more user friendly than old tired resin. Once they have their new factory up and running forge world will swiftly dissappear. The squatting of these unique and great armys is going to continue more and more. 

There's changes afoot within Forge World which have yet to be announced to the world.  Forge World as it stands doesn't fit with the rest of the organisation, it's a catch all for a portion of resin production, miniature design and the Age of Darkness ruleset.  What I envisage happening is that Forge World will simply be a badge that gets stuck onto resin miniatures and you'll have separate teams doing the design for each game system (we're not far of that being the case now).

If we're brutally honest, producing full army ranges and rules never really worked that well, they had an awful reputation within the gaming community and often were banned from events.  Speaking to various people over the years, new miniatures always hinged upon the success of what had come in the past - so if nobody bought any Fimir models then there wouldn't be any in the future, but that caused a chicken and egg vicious circle.

20 hours ago, Overread said:

Even if you've already done your bit, talking and showing off the models can be a big thing to help promote them. Not everything in the hobby has to be the tactically and statistically best thing to use. Sometimes you just gotta put down a super cool looking greater demon or some wolf-sized rats or a massive costs an army in one go" dragon for Chaos etc... Sometimes we have to be the solution. 

100% agree - on the 25th of last month we had a massive amount of resin on the table for the 40k game on WHTV.  A huge mixture of effectiveness, but it looked fantastic!

19 hours ago, novakai said:

that seem kind of disingenuous though that the customer are the problem when FW never takes any of their criticsms or feedback to heart, like if FW fall is 100% their fault and not the customers that don't want to buy their stuff

Sorry to nit-pick on this, but if you don't buy something you're not actually a customer, you're a window shopper.  I'd also say that GW as the parent company has taken on board some of the feedback passed and all of the rules are now being produced by the relevant development teams rather than by FW themselves.  This has resulted in rules that are a lot more in keeping with the game systems the models appear in.

35 minutes ago, jackmcmahon said:

Is it those models in particular or all of fw being stopped?

All we know at the present time is that the small Fimir range and slightly larger Tamurkhan models are going on last chance to buy.  At the moment they're still available on the website though.

• Like 2

There's also the oddity that a lot of the demon models got removed from the AoS and 40K storepages and hidden in the Warmaster tab under Horus Heresy. My gut feeling is that whatever intern did the website update updated the new tags but didn't add the old ones (likely expecting them to remain) and then when the update went live those models no longer had those tags. 

Though that bieng the possible case I'm confused why FW hasn't put the tags back (its somewhat odd that on the AoS site they've even got a banner showing off their keeper even though its no longer listed under AoS).

It's lots of little things like that which could seriously help FW or at least not hold it back. I just really hope that GW and FW sort out what's happening and can push forward with a clear direction. Right now as a customer I feel like FW is getting messed around with a LOT. As a result I'm left really unsure what its future is both on the general level and at the individual product level (and most of the products I want from them are way too expensive to just panic buy

4 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

100% agree - on the 25th of last month we had a massive amount of resin on the table for the 40k game on WHTV.  A huge mixture of effectiveness, but it looked fantastic!

I'd really love if they'd show off more of the big models like that. The price on the ancient monster for Seraphon always looked really high to me; but when you see one standing next to a full seraphon army or in person you realise that its freaking huge! Same is likely true for the Chaos Dragon. Internet product photos, because they are all resized to the same size, tend to give the impression that many models are a lot similar in size than they actually are in real life, relative to each other. 

Look at how many were surprised how modest the new Ossiarch Mortek Guard models were, which is no surprise since most o the product shots we'd had of them were either them on their own or against other new models in the range. IT was only once we saw them going to toe to toe with many other models that we got a better sense of their size and scale. 

2 hours ago, Eevika said:

I am tempted to get the dragon just a bit too tight on money to make the purchase right now. It would be lovely to have a range of massive beasts

Same. Its just a bit too much to justify in my current situation. Hell if it was 500 cdn or less I would have snapped it up immediately for the novelty

7 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Wonder how many of the big Khorne Dragon they've sold. Would love a whole range of Titan-Class AoS models, but AoS in general seems to have barely any Forge World stuff in games compared to 40k. Suppose the fact 30k stuff can mostly be played in 40k helps a lot too. Would also be good to get better rules for chaos dwarves - there's a few of them in tournaments right now but a few new models and high power level rules would be great.

It's unfortunate before the end times the plan was for 4 chaos lords tamurkhan the khorne lord we got and 2 we never got to see. The fw fantasy range didnt sell well though but the old chaos dragon, the land boat and mammoth where fantastic models. Their biggest hey day during storm of magic expansion did lead to an uptick but probabbly also lead to gw realizing fw fantasy long run was not going to worm. 

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Forge World as it stands doesn't fit with the rest of the organisation, it's a catch all for a portion of resin production, miniature design and the Age of Darkness ruleset. 

I have always felt we have been very lucky when it comes to the availability of models. In contrast, I have maybe 12 months to get my son a lego kit. We've had years to buy these models. (Though yes, a lego kit can be put together in hours where an army can take years so GW does need to keep things for years for their model to work).

With the current main range so huge (what, we are up to 20 battle tomes now and 40K and Middle Earth?) and containing super large units, Forge Worlds former role has been overtaken somewhat.

Lots of fw ranges dont have complete viability or lack support. The hit or miss quality of their rules also affected their sales.

Some of their 40k/30k products bordered on the auto include for competitive setting and sold like hot cakes.

On the other hand the fantasy and later aos stuff was... for the most part not that great (except 8th edition chaos dwarves f those guys)

God know I'd love a skin wolf lord or hero like found in total war or those unreleased fimir heroes. But alas it is not to be, cool aos stuff always got on back burner in favor of 30k since it could be milked on both ends of spectrum 

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

In the mails people received.

I haven't received one yet. It's a shame, as you can probably tell by my username, I'm sad. But it's not something I haven't considered; honestly I'd rather it end now than be drawn along thinking those new models will come out some day. I have my Trolls, which is good enough. Question is, do I sell my Fimir collection or let them gather dust til the day they're considered a rarity?

Some of the regional FW websites are showing the models as no longer sold; others are still showing them in stock which might only reflect the last stock (or that the site hasn't had an order and thus had the prompt to update the stock listing yet). 

@Knight Scáthach of Fimm if I were you I'd hang onto the models and keep them nicely stored or displayed. You can often use them as proxy for others in your armies and who knows the Fimir might return one day to the Realms or as a new form with a new name that can very easily counts-as for the old models. GW's plans for the future are unknown to gamers and honestly they seem to change readily enough that new things can appear from as if nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Mali said:

I'm wondering when they do go, would it be better to proxy the models for Ogors or some Chaos units or keep using their actual warscrolls.

Their current warscrolls don't work too well, as I am led to believe, chances of geting an update on them when the models are gone is worse than playing the lottery.

I worry for Legion of Azgorh now.

I wish GW could purchase one of whatever machine FW uses, stick it in a factory in China somewhere, and save that army.

FW refuses to update keywords to make the models usable (e.g. Skin Wolves) or refuses to update rules/lore to make them enjoyable and/or immersive, and then blames the resulting low sales to justify removing some excellent sculpts (something they can do well) and throwing their own loyal customers under the squat bus.

Some decent sculpts aside, Forgeworld are an utterly worthless company, and I feel sorry for those who have made big commitments to their ranges. Even if the LoA squatting never comes to pass, it will have been no fun buying, hobbying and playing with a Sword of Damocles hanging over them in the meantime.

Edited by Kyriakin

13 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I worry for Legion of Azgorh now.

I wish GW could purchase one of whatever machine FW uses, stick it in a factory in China somewhere, and save that army.

FW refuses to update keywords to make the models usable (e.g. Skin Wolves) or refuses to update rules/lore to make them enjoyable and/or immersive, and then blames the resulting low sales to justify removing some excellent sculpts (something they can do well) and throwing their own loyal customers under the squat bus.

Some decent sculpts aside, Forgeworld are an utterly worthless company, and I feel sorry for those who have made big commitments to their ranges. Even if the LoA squatting never comes to pass, it will have been no fun buying, hobbying and playing with a Sword of Damocles hanging over them in the meantime.

Eh, I bought into legion of Azgorh because the models were cool and I wanted a unique army that would be different to play. I think most people who invest heavily in niche armies and forgeworld models pretty much know where they stand.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Couple more AoS miniatures sold out in Forge World. Basilisk and Warpfire Dragon, in addition to the Fimirs and Tamurkhan. (Not all are yet gone in all regions, if you're checking)

I don't think this is a coincidence anymore, looks like anything could be next. I just hope this means they're getting rid of something that doesn't sell, not getting rid of everything.