One model (from each faction) to rule them all...

JPjr

some great ideas, thanks all. hopefully some of you may join me on this ridiculous journey...

so obviously subject to change but my current hit list is...

ORDER
Stormcast - Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger (because I already own this model and it's pretty cool)
Daughters of Khaine - a box of Melusai (unless I win the lottery and then Morathi)
Kharadron Overlords - Got to be a big ****** flying gunship hasn't it? But I'll park this till later on (I do have Thundrik's Profiteers to get on with too).
Cities of Sigmar - For me it has to be a Steam Tank I reckon
Sylvaneth - Like DoK if I suddenly come into money I'd go for Alarielle but I do have some Kurnoth Hunters here from Loon Curse.
Seraphon - Much as I love the big dinos I'm going for the Skink Starpriest
Idoneth Deepkin - Eidolon if feeling flush but probably Tidecaster
Fyreslayers - thank you to those who have suggested Gotrek, I know he's not really a FS but I'm not a fan of Magmadoths or many of the others but do like this model! 

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - Keeper of Secrets is just too hard to look past (kinda fittingly)...
Blades of Khorne - I think the Skulltaker is about the Khorniest of Khorne.
Disciples of Tzeentch - Torn between the Ogroid an the Gaunt Summoner
Maggotkin of Nurgle - Beast of Nurgle, love those filthy puppies.
Slaves to Darkness - Will wait and see as what's been revealed so far is cool and I'll grab the SC box anyway.
Skaven - DOOMWHEEL!
Beasts of Chaos - Tempted to cheat a little bit and say a Chaos Gargant but I might pick up Beastgrave soon anyway and I like the shaman there.

DEATH
Nighthaunt - Kurdoss or the Black Coach are my favourites in this range, but I do already have Olynder & the mounted Knight of Shrouds waiting to be painted...
Ossiarch Bonereapers - Katakross I guess at some point, stunning model, though oddly not the most representative of the whole range I'd say...
Flesh Eater Courts - not really into the Zombie Dragons, so still no idea here at all, the Arch Regent is ok if its ever made generally available
Legions of Nagash - I do have Arkhan here needing painting so...

DESTRUCTION
Orruk Warclans - The Weirdnob Shaman, for many reasons I love this lad.
Gloomspite Gitz - I have The Mangler Squigs and I think sum up these crazy ****** though I'd love to paint the Gobbapalooza.
Ogor Mawtribes - Going to say the new Tyrant model, because my feats of Bones box just arrived but super super tempted now to grab a start collecting Beastclaw box as I'd love one of the big BCR monsters.

Around 1 a month, should keep me going for 2 years or so...

🤑🤔

Edited by JPjr

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

Someone hasn’t been listening to the audio dramas.

Well, that is me, of course.

I thought there were noticable differences between Gotrek and the Fyreslayers, but those could well be solved already. If Gotrek names himself a Fyreslayer, I'm not going to tell him he's wrong. At least not in charging distance.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

Well, that is me, of course.

I thought there were noticable differences between Gotrek and the Fyreslayers, but those could well be solved already. If Gotrek names himself a Fyreslayer, I'm not going to tell him he's wrong. At least not in charging distance.

His charging distance has no limit, he just needs a bit until he gets there. :P 

55 minutes ago, Overread said:

Gotrek is very loud about the fact that he's a dwarf and not a Fyreslayer ;)

Not at the end of the second Realmslayer audiodrama anymore. ;) 

If you’re forced to choose the best model from each army there is only one real criteria: Who has the fanciest hat! Here are my choices:

Order

Cities of Sigmar: Freeguild General on Griffon

Daughters of Khaine: Morathi (not sure if it is really a hat but it is on her head!)

Fyreslayers: Grimwrath Berzerker

Idoneth Deepkin: Aspect of the Storm

Kharadon Overlords: Brokk Grungsson

Seraphon: Saurus Eternity Warden

Stormcast: Vandus Hammerhand

Sylvaneth: Alarielle is the only one even wearing a hat

Chaos

Beasts of Chaos: Great Bray-Shaman

Blades of Khorne: Aspiring Deathbringer With Goreaxe And Skullhammer

Disciples of Tzeentch: Kairic Adept

Slaves To Darkness: Archaon (runner up: Chaos Familiar in wizard hat)

Hedonites of Slaanesh: Shalaxi Helbane

Maggotkin of Nurgle: Sloppity Bilepiper

Skaven: Skryre Acolyte

Death

Flesh-Eater Courts: None of th-ALL OF THEM ARE WEARING MAGNIFICENT HATS!!!!

Nighthaunt: Varclav the Cruel

Legions of Nagash: The Necromancer formerly known as Heinrich Kemmler

Ossiarch Bonereapers: Nagash

Destruction

Gloomspite Gitz: Skragrott

Mawtribes: Pirate Maneater

Orruk Warclans: Wurrgog Prophet

• Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Cities of Sigmar - Nomad Prince

As people have mentioned you have a wide variety of choice within Cities of Sigmar - but you'll probably want a hero rather than a unit if you intend to paint just the one model! The Nomad Prince is the most recently produced of the available Cities of Sigmar hero models, and it shows imho. He's an absolutely fantastic model with a great pose and a fun variety of textures and materials to paint - feathers, hair, wood, metal, antlers, gems, leather, etc. He embodies the nobility, tenacity, and diversity of a Free Cities army (and as a bonus won't hurt the wallet too badly or take up a lot of space on your shelf).

3 hours ago, Ksym77 said:

If you’re forced to choose the best model from each army there is only one real criteria: Who has the fanciest hat! Here are my choices:

Order

Cities of Sigmar: Freeguild General on Griffon

Daughters of Khaine: Morathi (not sure if it is really a hat but it is on her head!)

Fyreslayers: Grimwrath Berzerker

Idoneth Deepkin: Aspect of the Storm

Kharadon Overlords: Brokk Grungsson

Seraphon: Saurus Eternity Warden

Stormcast: Vandus Hammerhand

Sylvaneth: Alarielle is the only one even wearing a hat

Chaos

Beasts of Chaos: Great Bray-Shaman

Blades of Khorne: Aspiring Deathbringer With Goreaxe And Skullhammer

Disciples of Tzeentch: Kairic Adept

Slaves To Darkness: Archaon (runner up: Chaos Familiar in wizard hat)

Hedonites of Slaanesh: Shalaxi Helbane

Maggotkin of Nurgle: Sloppity Bilepiper

Skaven: Skryre Acolyte

Death

Flesh-Eater Courts: None of th-ALL OF THEM ARE WEARING MAGNIFICENT HATS!!!!

Nighthaunt: Varclav the Cruel

Legions of Nagash: The Necromancer formerly known as Heinrich Kemmler

Ossiarch Bonereapers: Nagash

Destruction

Gloomspite Gitz: Skragrott

Mawtribes: Pirate Maneater

Orruk Warclans: Wurrgog Prophet

You must be an old Chaos Dwarf or Empire player (by the way, there is one really fancy hat in the wizard box).

• Like 1

Very cool idea. I'll give some recommendations based on my armies:

Seraphon: Bastiladon - While not as iconic or essential as the slann, is sums up the army quite nicely: dinos riding dinos shooting laser beams. It has a really distinctive shape and style, with the turtle shell, howdah riders, and artillery piece to boot. Runner Up: Carnosaur.

Disciples of Tzeentch: Lord of Change - The greater daemons really do sum up their alignment well, and the Lord of Change is an embodiment of Tzeentch's terrifying magical prowess. Runner Up - Gaunt Summoner.

ORDER
Stormcast -  lord celestant on dracoth
Daughters of Khaine - caldroun 
Kharadron Overlords - brokk
Cities of Sigmar - free people militia
Sylvaneth - treeman
Seraphon - carnosaur
Idoneth Deepkin - tidecaster
Fyreslayers - 

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - 
Blades of Khorne - slaughterpriest
Disciples of Tzeentch - ogroid 
Maggotkin of Nurgle - 
Slaves to Darkness - lord of chaos
Skaven - 
Beasts of Chaos - doombull

DEATH
Nighthaunt - knight of shroud
Ossiarch Bonereapers - katakros
Flesh Eater Courts -
Legions of Nagash - nagash

DESTRUCTION 
Orruk Warclans - megaboss
Gloomspite Gitz - 
Ogor Mawtribes -

ORDER
Stormcast - LC on Stardrake / Celestan Prime /  Vandus Hammerhand (depending on budget ;) )
Cities of Sigmar - Freeguild General on Griffon / Demigryph Knights / whitch hunter (if you can still find one)
Sylvaneth - Alarielle / Spirit of Durthu / Drycha / Arch-Revenant (depending $)

CHAOS
Blades of Khorne - Skarbrand / Korghos Khul / bloodsecrator / Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut
Disciples of Tzeentch - Kairos Fateweaver (amazingly pleasant to paint model) / Ogroid Thaumaturge (maybe too much muscle for Tzeentch but really cool model) / Changeling
Slaves to Darkness - Archaon / Chaos Lord (depending $)

DEATH
Nighthaunt - Reikenor / Lady Olynder / Black coach (maybenot perfect representat, but model is awersom)
Legions of Nagash - Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade / leader of the sepulchral guard

DESTRUCTION 
Gloomspite Gitz - Fanatics! (cant resist how in distress they look)

I have to disagree with those saying Allarielle for Sylvaneth.

To me, an Aelf riding a giant beetle sticks out like a sort thumb in an army that is otherwise 100% tree-based, and thus doesn't visually represent the faction at all.

Or, to put it another way, if you only saw that model (e.g. as a leak before an army was released) would you be able to guess the aesthetics of the rest of the faction? For Allarielle that is most definitely a "no". You'd think she was heralding a new Wood Aelf faction, where they are perhaps all riding around on a variety of forest critters, such as giant butterflies and crickets. 

However, depending on cost, time, painting ability and personal preferences, every other model in the range fits the theme and is thus an option - ranging from a Dryad all the way up t the Spirit of Durthu.

Personally, I'd go Drycha, but I have a preference for that Spooky Dreadwood theme.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 2

As a Sylvaneth player, I think the one model that can best represent the army is a Treelord Ancient.  The Wood Elves have been around forever and were led by the eldest of the trees, the Ancients.  From a mechanics perspective, it does just about everything army wants to do and it's a beautiful model.  

If cost is an issue, I'd recommend a Branchwraith at $15.  She's a sly little wizard and still represents the world of old.

Completely agree with @Kyriakin, Alarielle is not the best choice.  I think Drycha is a fine choice if that's the type of Sylvaneth you want represented.