One model (from each faction) to rule them all...

JPjr

Not that I need more random unpainted models clogging up the house but I've a vague idea in 2020 (and beyond, going by my current rate it could take me up to the heat death of the universe) to try and paint one model from each faction. Mainly so I always have something a bit different to turn to if I'm getting burned out painting endless squigs, skeletons etc. But also just so I have a, vaguely hmmm ok not really, valid excuse to buy stuff I wouldn't normally (Yay capitalism!).

So anyway what would you pick from each faction to best represent it in some way. It doesn't need to be the biggest (my wallet would certainly appreciate a few smaller models like with the Idoneth Deepkin, both the Eidolon & Turtle are majestic but Lotan & the Tidecaster also capture so much of what I like about them), certainly doesn't need to be the best in tabletop terms, but something that really nails the character and vibe of that army and of course is fun to paint...

There's a few I've got in mind already (as I own them) and I think do the job, like Mangler Squigs, and I've got a rough idea of what I'd choose but fascinated to see what others might suggest. So... Copy, paste, edit, GO!

Please.

ORDER
Stormcast - 
Daughters of Khaine - 
Kharadron Overlords -
Cities of Sigmar -
Sylvaneth -
Seraphon -
Idoneth Deepkin -
Fyreslayers - 

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - 
Blades of Khorne -
Disciples of Tzeentch - 
Maggotkin of Nurgle -
Slaves to Darkness -
Skaven - 
Beasts of Chaos - 

DEATH
Nighthaunt -
Ossiarch Bonereapers -
Flesh Eater Courts -
Legions of Nagash - 

DESTRUCTION 
Orruk Warclans - 
Gloomspite Gitz - 
Ogor Mawtribes -

For that kind of project I'd really go for center piece models or characters to be honest. They just offer more fun details to look at compared to your basic infantry guys or whatever.

Also it's probably not particularly helpful to make a fix plan of what to buy for all factions just yet considering that over the time you're working through that list GW is likely to release new models for some of those factions anyway. So better start with the latest released factions and plan to do the oldest factions last to give GW time to release something awesome and new you might want to get instead of what there is today.

So going by what I said above I'm going to list only a few factions:

DEATH
Ossiarch Bonereapers - Gothizzar Harvester. My absolute favourite model of the new faction with lots of fun details (just take a look at the 3D view in their webstore). Katakros would be another obvious choice, however imo any character would do as well.

Nighthaunt - Black Coach or Reikenor the Grimhailer, but again any of the characters would work too.

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - I'd go with either Shalaxi/Keeper of Secrets or The Masque, though a unit of Fiends would work nicely too imo. Also, again, characters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Skaven DOOMWHEEL 

It just screams Skaven on the top of its lungs. 😄

ha yep, lots of great choices with the rats but the Doomwheel is so ridiculous it's currently in my no.1 slot for them.

17 minutes ago, Panzer said:

DEATH
Ossiarch Bonereapers - Gothizzar Harvester. My absolute favourite model of the new faction with lots of fun details (just take a look at the 3D view in their webstore). Katakros would be another obvious choice, however imo any character would do as well.

Nighthaunt - Black Coach or Reikenor the Grimhailer, but again any of the characters would work too.

Yeah agree on the Harvester or Katakross, luckily this is an army I'm actually going to collect at least a small army of, so at some point will hopefully own both anyway!

The Black Coach is phenomenal and one I've wanted to pick up for a while but I do have Lady Olynder sat here waiting to be painted so she's next in line there.

31 minutes ago, Panzer said:

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - I'd go with either Shalaxi/Keeper of Secrets or The Masque, though a unit of Fiends would work nicely too imo. Also, again, characters.

Yeah with most the Chaos ranges the Greater Demons have to all be in contention, saying that with most of the others there are other, smaller, options I could happily opt for (I've always loved Beasts of Nurgle for some reason, filthy puppies) but yeah the Keeper is such am incredible model it's a shoe in.

5 minutes ago, Sonnenspeer said:

The new Chaos Lord for Slaves to Darkness. As a lot of people here are going to buy more then one StD SC Box, you may get him for a good price.

yep. will be spoiled for choice with Slaves to Darkness as the new models are all lush and I'd happily buy/paint any of them (in fact I'm definitely getting the SC box) but you never know what's still to come there...

47 minutes ago, JPjr said:

There's a few I've got in mind already (as I own them) and I think do the job, like Mangler Squigs, and I've got a rough idea of what I'd choose but fascinated to see what others might suggest. So... Copy, paste, edit, GO!

Please.

ORDER
Stormcast - CELESTANT PRIME!
Daughters of Khaine - Maybe Morathi? Or snake/winged ladies
Kharadron Overlords - Admiral or Ironklad
Cities of Sigmar - A freeguild General
Sylvaneth - Drycha or some sort of Treeman. Or Arch-Revenant
Seraphon - Slaan or Astrolith bearer or some monster
Idoneth Deepkin - King or Eidolon or turtle
Fyreslayers - Grimwrath berserker

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - Dunno
Blades of Khorne - Korghos Khul 
Disciples of Tzeentch - Changeling
Maggotkin of Nurgle - some Nurgle mortal hero
Slaves to Darkness - New Lord of Chaos
Skaven - Hell Pit Abomination or Arch Warlock or DOOM WHEEL or Verminlord
Beasts of Chaos - Cygor

DEATH
Nighthaunt - any of the named characters or Lord Executioner from Soul Wars
Ossiarch Bonereapers - Zandtos or Liege Kavalos
Flesh Eater Courts - Arch Regent or Varghulf or King on Terrorgheist
Legions of Nagash - Nagash or Mortarch (Including Krell and Vlad)

DESTRUCTION 
Orruk Warclans - Warboss or Idol of Gork (or Mork)
Gloomspite Gitz - some wonky character from Gobbapalooza, but it seems you already collect them
Ogor Mawtribes - new Tyrant or Firebelly or Butcher with Cauldron

• Thanks 1

ORDER
Stormcast - the birthday models are great. 
Daughters of Khaine - Morathi
Kharadron Overlords - Brokk has amazing potential. He leans over his own weapons. So great model for OSL. 
Cities of Sigmar - if you can get the old metal executioners. They were the most fun I had painting the last two years. 
Sylvaneth - allariel
Seraphon - the bastiladon with snakes. 
Idoneth Deepkin - the turtle. 
Fyreslayers - I recently painted old metal daemon slayers as hearthguard bezerkers. They are a blast to paint. So if that counts...

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - Shalaxi is the best model in the range period. IMO 
Blades of Khorne - 
Disciples of Tzeentch - 
Maggotkin of Nurgle - harbringer or the tentacle hero have my eye. 
Slaves to Darkness - new hero looks amazing. 
Skaven - so many options. Like the arch warlock or thanquol. Both iconic and both offer cool painting challenges with OSL 
Beasts of Chaos - the shaggoth hands down  

DEATH
Nighthaunt - last olynder seems like a cool challenge. 
Ossiarch Bonereapers -not feeling them personally. 
Flesh Eater Courts -
Legions of Nagash - Krell’s on my list. 

DESTRUCTION 
Orruk Warclans - I have a real weak spot for the bonesplitters boss hero. Tongue out of the mouth so excited to be fighting. Basically a puppy with an axe. Great chance to practice tattoos. 
Gloomspite Gitz - the big boss gobbo. He’s so dope. 
Ogor Mawtribes - squad of Maneaters. such characterful models. 

• Like 2

These are just going to be my personal favourites, everyone will have slightly different opinions, and there are factions where I'm not familiar enough with the range to really draw a conclusion.

ORDER
Stormcast - Probably the Knight Incantor from Soul Wars. She is probably my favourite stormcast all around.
Daughters of Khaine - Tough one. Morathi is a wonderful model, but its price tag is ridiculous. I'd maybe recommend the Melusi (in either build), as a more affordable alternative.
Kharadron Overlords - Definitely the Underworlds Warband. Its basically the faction in microcosm, with all the main types of non ship Kharadron units represented.
Cities of Sigmar - Tricky because they are so many different factions in one. For Humans I'd say the Greatswords kit is fantastic. For the Dwarves there is a lot of potential, and they don't really have any kits left which aren't fantastic. Maybe go for the Cogsmith, or the Hammerers. As far as Elves go I'm not sure I could pick. perhaps wild wood rangers for good elves and the darkling Sorceress.
Sylvaneth - It has to be Drycha I think, although Kurnoth hunters and the new Arch revenant are both great too!
Seraphon - I'll always have a fondness for the Engine of the Gods, but really I love everything in this faction so much, that its hard to pick. Maybe Chameleon Skinks for a smaller option, they are just great!
Idoneth Deepkin - The Tidecaster, and Lotan are both amazing, as is the Turtle. That was what convinced me to get them.
Fyreslayers - It has to be the Magmadroth.

CHAOS

Slaves to Darkness - The Darkoath Warqueen is a fantastic model. I really hope that we eventually get more slaves models in her style.
Beasts of Chaos - Some of the Beastlords are pretty cool, but I don't really know the faction that well.

Legion of Azgorh - The Magma Cannon is my absolute favourite, but you can't go wrong with a good old Iron Daemon.

DEATH
Nighthaunt - My favourite is probably the Executioner with the axe and hourglass. The one is soul wars is also cool, but the blister pack one stands out. I've not painted any of the large stuff yet though, so may change my mind when I get to the Heroes.
Ossiarch Bonereapers - I'd say any of the Mortisan priests look great. Not yet seen any in the flesh (or bone) so hard to pick a favourite.
Flesh Eater Courts - It has to be the Varghulf I think, such a dynamic model, and an awesome design.
Legions of Nagash - Probably the Wight King.

DESTRUCTION
Gloomspite Gitz - Very hard to say, but probably the Loonking himself.

• Like 1

Cool idea.

ORDER
Stormcast -  Knight Venator
Daughters of Khaine - Blood Stalker Champ
Kharadron Overlords - Brokk
Cities of Sigmar - Gotrek
Sylvaneth - Ylthari
Seraphon - Slann
Idoneth Deepkin -Lotann
Fyreslayers -  Fjul Grimnir

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - Syll' Esske
Blades of Khorne - Exalted Deathbringer w/Axe
Disciples of Tzeentch - Gaunt Summoner
Maggotkin of Nurgle - Gutrot Spume
Slaves to Darkness - Old World mounted Archaon
Skaven - Deathmaster or Arch Warlock
Beasts of Chaos - Metal/Resin Bray Shaman

DEATH
Nighthaunt -Olynder
Ossiarch Bonereapers -Vokmortian
Flesh Eater Courts - Arch Regent
Legions of Nagash - Krell

DESTRUCTION 
Orruk Warclans - Megaboss
Gloomspite Gitz - Skarsnik
Ogor Mawtribes - New Tyrant

• Like 2

I have limited scope, but still:

One model:

Cities of Sigmar: Either General on Griffin, or a Greatsworder with the excessively long feathered hat. Not what GW labels as the regular General.

Daughters of Khaine: A Witch elf, Though more humanoid than others, this is the basis of the others.

Seraphon: Oldblood on Carnosaur: Lizards riding lizards, and this sculpt is nicer than older ones.

Sylvaneth: Spite Revenant: Warped tree spirits coming for you. Quite nice.

Nighthaunt: Lady Olynder, elegant and nicely creepy. Dreadblade Harrows are another option.

Gloomspite: A Boingrot Bounder, squigs and terrible plans in one

Tzeench: Ogroid Thaumaturge. Not that is typical of Tzeench, I just love the model very much.

Beasts of Chaos: Beastlord with manripper axes, It's a nice and brutal model

One set:

Just get the Underworld Warbands, they are a good representation. For the factions that have none, best to pick a set that gives you a few build options. Exception below, because I am nothing if not inconsistent:

Cities: Greatswords. Simply so many options, or Demigryph Knights, again because I really like the set (such expressive armour on the beasties)

• Like 1

I'm going to "try" and shy away from the big models because pretty much every faction has a BIG AWESOME THING that sort of votes for itself. Though as  result some armies I just couldn't think of something that would be really iconic. Still here's a few to consider :)

ORDER
Stormcast - Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon to show off the mythical, plus the mount has a more flowing natural pose and sculpt than the Stardrake, which is bigger, but the way its sculpted its a bit "angular" for my liking (granted some of that is the chest armour). Celestant-Prime for the angelic because nothing shows off that better than this model
Best choice though - Pack of  Gryph Hounds! Because they are the goodest boys for the (supposed) goodest of factions. 

Daughters of Khaine - Bloodwrack Medusa. She embodies the twisted bloody nature of the force. Her body not just altered but mutated with multiple snakeheads bursting from her lower body, whilst blood drips and oozes from her. An more violent embodiment of the half slaanesh twisted and tormented state of some of the witches, whilst embracing the bloody worship of Khaine. She's iconic of the twisted nature by which Morathi rules the Daughters, for these are formed from the Queens who rival her and are "gifted" a bite from one of Morath's head serpents. 

Kharadron Overlords - not sure but probably one of their airships (suitably modified with more dwarves manning it)

Cities of Sigmar - no idea its too diverse and not settled enough in my mind to pick. Though the suggestion earlier of Gotrek is a fine suggestion! 

Sylvaneth - I tried but the treelord is just too good a choice for this faction. 

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - Fiends. The new Greater Demon is awesome, but for something smaller I feel that its either the prince and his deamonette or fiends and my practical non-tormenting side says go for the trilling fiends. A warped beast with a whip like tail; mighty claws; a licking tongue; beasts adorning one side and a more masculine chest the other. Twisted legs  and more - its just an awesome model that is pure slaanesh. 

Maggotkin of Nurgle - Hound of Nurgle. They embody the purest joy of befoulment that the great Grandfather Nurgle can bless upon the living. Their bodies riddled with rot, disease and maggots. Yet all they want from life is to bound across the open (battle)fields to hug, bounce, play, lick and spread their joy to those who have yet to embrace the wonder of Nurgle. Their only fleeting sadness is when their new best friend in the world screams and dies before them having become so overwhelmed with Nurgles blessings that they give their own lives. Of course its only a fleeting sadness for there are always more to bring the joy too. Nurgles Labradors! 

Skaven - Doom Doom Doomwheel! I have to agree its a mad bit of skaven engineering. Alternative and strong votes for the abomination if you wanted to take things less science and more flesh based (which is equally as skaven). 
Beasts of Chaos - 

DEATH
Nighthaunt - Got to agree that the Black Coach is wonderfully iconic, though a bit of an odd one since once it was the icon of Vampires now its the icon of Ghosts. 

• Like 1

My three cents:

ORDER

SCE - Lord Castellant, it shows guardian nature of Stormcasts and  it comes with a Gryph-Hound!

Fyreslayers - Doomseeker

KO - Arkanaut Admiral or if you want fancy hats - Brok Grungsson

CoS - Battle Wizard (Bright or Celestial)

DoK - Cauldron

ID - Lotann, another hero with a pet assistant

Sylvaneth - Branchwych

Seraphon - either Carnosaur, Bastiladon or Stegadon

DEATH

LoN - if finecast (or conversions) is not an issue, then Vampire Lord on Horse

NH - Knight of Shrouds

FeC - Abhorrent King on Terrorgheist

OBR - Gothizzar Harvester

DESTRUCTION

Gloomspite - Mangler Squigs

Orruk Warclans - Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (you can't get more orruky)

Ogor Mawtribes - Tyrant or Huskard on Stonehorn

CHAOS

Khorne - Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear

Tzeentch - Gaunt Summoner

Nurgle - GUO or Gutrot Spume

Slaanesh - Syll'Eske

Slaves to Darkness - Archaon (oh, boy) or Chaos Lord

Skaven - DOOMWHEEL!!!

Beasts of Chaos - Beastgrave Great Bray-shaman (Grashrak Fellhoof)

Legion of Azgorh - Daemonsmith

• Like 1

Warclans; Megaboss on Maw-crusha. It's big, smashy,  stompy, and so loud you'll explode. So basically everything an orruk aspires to be.

Stormcast Eternals; Lord-Celestant on foot or Vandus Hammerhand. Noble, heroic, more hammers than a smithy.

Seriously though, I do believe that these models show in a nutshell who these factions are.

• Like 1

Welp i guess my tastes are a bit cheaper than many if the tga

Stormcast: the easy to build sequitor prime

Cities of sigmar: Greatsword

Slaves to darkness: lord of chaos on foot

Skaven: grey seer or the leader of the shadespire warband

Nurgle: Lord of plagues

Khorne: any of the shadespire reavers

Beasts of chaos: beastigor or tzaangor enlightened

Tzeentch: gaunt summoner

Orcs: megaboss or savage big boss

Nighthaunt: either the cairnwraith or knight of shrouds

Death rattle: wight king

• Like 1

For smaller models I would go with:

ORDER
Stormcast - Knight-Questor from Silver Tower
Daughters of Khaine - Melusai
Kharadron Overlords - Endrinrigger
Cities of Sigmar - ?
Sylvaneth - Branchwych
Seraphon - Starpriest
Idoneth Deepkin - Tidecaster/Soulscryer
Fyreslayers - Grimwrath Berzerker/Doomseeker

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - The Masque
Blades of Khorne - Skulltaker
Disciples of Tzeentch - Gaunt Summoner
Maggotkin of Nurgle - Lord of Plagues
Slaves to Darkness - Chaos Lord/Darkoath Chieftain
Skaven - Warlock Bombardier
Beasts of Chaos - Bestigor from Beastgrave

DEATH
Nighthaunt - Cairn Wraith
Ossiarch Bonereapers - ?
Flesh Eater Courts - Crypt Ghoul
Legions of Nagash - Wight King

DESTRUCTION 
Orruk Warclans - Megaboss
Gloomspite Gitz - Squig Hopper
Ogor Mawtribes - ?

2 hours ago, flemingmma said:

Welp i guess my tastes are a bit cheaper than many if the tga

Stormcast: the easy to build sequitor prime

Cities of sigmar: Greatsword

Slaves to darkness: lord of chaos on foot

Skaven: grey seer or the leader of the shadespire warband

Nurgle: Lord of plagues

Khorne: any of the shadespire reavers

Beasts of chaos: beastigor or tzaangor enlightened

Tzeentch: gaunt summoner

Orcs: megaboss or savage big boss

Nighthaunt: either the cairnwraith or knight of shrouds

Death rattle: wight king

Sylvaneth: either a tree revenant or a spite revenant

Kharadron: endrigger or the admiral with the top hat

Slaanesh: masque or fiend

Flesh eater courts: regent or crypt ghast courtier

Seraphon: skink starpriest

Gloomspite: new loonboss

ORDER
Stormcast - female easy to build sequitor
Daughters of Khaine - a witch Aelf.
Kharadron Overlords - underworlds warband fighter reloading gun
Cities of Sigmar - nomad prince
Sylvaneth - a kurnoth hunter
Seraphon - slann mage priest
Idoneth Deepkin - lotann
Fyreslayers - gotrek

CHAOS
Hedonites of Slaanesh - enfernal enrapturess
Blades of Khorne - slaughter priest
Disciples of Tzeentch -  ogroid thaumaturge
Maggotkin of Nurgle - nothing - I hate those guys
Slaves to Darkness - Archaon
Skaven - grey seer
Beasts of Chaos - shaggoth

DEATH
Nighthaunt - dreadblade harrow
Ossiarch Bonereapers - Katakros's samurai helper
Flesh Eater Courts - ghoul king on foot
Legions of Nagash - underworlds sepulchral guard leader

DESTRUCTION 
Orruk Warclans - megaboss on foot
Gloomspite Gitz - brewgit
Ogor Mawtribes - the new tyrant

• Thanks 1

Only really have suggestions for the armies I play but here you go

Gitz: Dankhold Troggoth. I personally love troggoths and I think it captures a different side of gitz. Its cartoony and an amazing sculpt
Nurgle: Glottkin. The model is just amazing
Skaven: A Verminlord