Kharadron Overlords – Warcry House Rules

Revlid

As I'm a fan of the Kharadron Overlords, I've taken a crack at giving them a warband for Warcry! As well as fighter cards and an ability sheet, this includes a full Campaign, a Background table, and Allies. All feedback is 100% welcome! Let me know what you think might need a second look.

(if I ever do something like this again, rest assured I'm going to pick something with fewer weapon options – Warcry's simple attack resolution is not hugely friendly to representing different-but-equal gear like the Grundstok guns...)

FKUdHLr.png

Warcry-KharadronOverlords-SMALL.pdf

Edited by Revlid
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, Kramig said:

I was waiting for this job! 

Just a question: why no endriggers? I would have put 2 skywarden and 1 endrigger as choise

I was a tricky decision! Ultimately it came down to a number of factors:

1. Their various weapon options give Kharadron Overlords a huge number of potential fighters – even ignoring the drill cannon/grapnel gun (because I couldn't find good enough images) and cutting out Endrinriggers still leaves them with 15, one more than the Daughters of Khaine (previously the heftiest faction in the game). Something had to give – it couldn't be Arkanauts, and I wanted to include at least one flying fighter to give the Kharadron Overlords some movement options. That meant cutting either Endrinriggers or Grundstok Thunderers, and in my early drafts I preferred the effect Grundstok had on the roster.
  2. The Warhammer Underworlds warband has representatives from Arkanauts, Grundstok, and Skywardens – but no Endrinrigger, so for synergy purposes it was an easier cut.
  3. For fluff purposes, Skywardens make sense as wayfaring explorers and scouts in the Eightpoints. Endrinriggers, on the other hand, exist solely to repair ships. Even their pistol is an overpowered nailgun! So it made less sense to include them in a game that would never include a ship.
  4. Endrinriggers didn't really add much, mechanically. I wanted to use the Skywardens' skymines trick for an ability, so the gunners would all need to be Skywardens too. That meant Endrinriggers would at most be a slight Skywarden mod (bit better gun in an already range-heavy army, bit worse melee for a fight meant to have a fast-moving melee focus). Adding them wasn't worth the hassle.

Let me know what you think about the rest of the warband, in any case!

Edited by Revlid
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

How many points would the Underworlds warband be in Warcry? I have their box from Nightvault but never assembled them so don’t even know what they include. How close would that get you to a complete warcry team?

The Underworlds warbands are generally too small to make full Warcry warbands. Thundrik's Profiteers would be:

• Grundstok Thunderer with Aethershot Rifle (130)
  • Arkanaut with Arkanaut Cutter and Privateer Pistol (75)
  • Arkanaut with Aethermatic Volley Gun (105)
  • Skywarden with Skypike and Vulcaniser Pistol (185)
  • Aether-Khemist (Ally, 175)
  • Total = 670

You can make the Skywarden or Arkanaut into a Leader for an extra 50pts, but you're still 280pts short – and that's including an Ally. Without an Ally, you're looking at 545 points, which means you've got 455 points to fill – probably with more Arkanauts, to get cheap bodies, Skypikes for CC/abilities, and their two long-range guns. The Underworlds box is about half a Warcry warband, basically, but it's a solid supplement to whatever KO build you had in mind.

Edited by Revlid

Cool, thanks. That was exactly why I was asking; I know the underworlds bands generally give you 1/2 to 3/4 of a complete team but wanted to know where it would put me in order to start planning out how/where to expand from there. Still have four chaos bands left to build before I move onto homebrewed groups but I’ve gotta plan out my purchases and build order.

• Like 1