OBR: Can a Mortek Hekatos have a Greatblade

Hellstorm42

Question

I'm looking at the Mortek Guard and it says that 1 model in the unit can be a Mortek Hekatos, which has 1 additional attack and that 1 in every 10 models can have a Soulcleaver Greatblade. Can I pick the same model to be the Mortek Hekatos and have the greatblade, so he has 1 additional attack with that weapon? I don't see any restrictions on this but I want to make sure that this is legal before I begin modeling. 

5 answers to this question

On 11/3/2019 at 11:01 PM, Overread said:

This is one of those "yes you can" situations where I have a bit of a feeling that its not what GW intends and it could be Errata/FAQ corrected. In all their displays of the army and in all their chatter the greatblade unit is always different to the Hekatos. The Hekatos, Banner holder and greatblade holder are all displayed as 3 individual choices within the force, never doubling up on either. 

So I'd approach this one with a bit of caution since its very likely GW will rule in the future that they have to be a different model. 

At the same time GW could rule the other way and say that its very much intended to be the case. Either way I would recommend emailing GW with this question. The more people that email them this question (individual people not you spamming their inbox with 30 messages) the more chance there is that GW will address it in the FAQ that will likely be released in about 2 weeks time. 

It's working as intended

image.png.cb594e0fa61e43ca0289ee4d786cd589.png

But makes unit building rather ugly

This is one of those "yes you can" situations where I have a bit of a feeling that its not what GW intends and it could be Errata/FAQ corrected. In all their displays of the army and in all their chatter the greatblade unit is always different to the Hekatos. The Hekatos, Banner holder and greatblade holder are all displayed as 3 individual choices within the force, never doubling up on either. 

So I'd approach this one with a bit of caution since its very likely GW will rule in the future that they have to be a different model. 

At the same time GW could rule the other way and say that its very much intended to be the case. Either way I would recommend emailing GW with this question. The more people that email them this question (individual people not you spamming their inbox with 30 messages) the more chance there is that GW will address it in the FAQ that will likely be released in about 2 weeks time. 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

I know there is a whole thread on GW rule writing and this isnt a rant but it does puzzle me how this happens. They must proof read the books multiple times and they have to known people look out for inconsistencies like this and spamming the cavalry command ability. An afternoon  in the hands of a tournament player and they could come back to the rules team with a list of obvious inconsistencies like this they could clarify before print.

2 hours ago, XReN said:

It's working as intended

image.png.cb594e0fa61e43ca0289ee4d786cd589.png

But makes unit building rather ugly

Yeah, the Mortek Hekatos counts as a normal model in case of Soulcleaver Grandblades. And like @XReN said makes rather ugly builds (when specialweapons are on champions everytime because they are much better).

There is only one thing to be checked. "Is the weapon better on the champion?"

In case of the Mortek Guard, yes. Because he get's +1 on Melee Attacks.

It is not the case every time. For example in case of the Prosecutors of Stormcast Eternals the Prime only gets +1 Attack for Celestial Hammers melee Weapon, Stormcall Javelin missile weapon and Stormsurge Trident Missile Weapon. In that case the Prime doesn't get Extraattacks when hamming a Grandaxe, Grandblade or Grandhammer.

Or Blood Warriors where the Chaos Champion only gets an Additional Attack for Goreaxe(s) not for the Goreglaive.

In both cases the changes were made with a publication, not an Errata.