The Painting Contract - November 2019

TheOtherJosh

Sorry for the delayed update, and that there's not much to it at the moment. I was going to paint last weekend, but then I got sick as a dog and couldn't really be bothered to do anything but sleep lol. 

I did build a Wild Drycha. I've made some progress on my Soulrender, which is definitely still WIP. I'm trying to figure out how I want to base the blue armor. I could use the regular silver highlights, or I could try something different like a neon green to kind of give it a more undersea feel. 

I also managed to get another Reaver past the basing stage, for seven in total, but the pics I took only include the six completely based so far. I hope to start painting again this weekend.

BwTG68y.jpg

tbAmm5q.jpg

XLItMAP.jpg

rty7jkT.jpg

• Like 6

What did I say I would do for October September that I inevitably failed catastrophically?

- 20 Clanrats (Horned Rat's blessings upon Contrast) STATUS: halfway complete

- finish Clawlord STATUS: no progress

- finish Arch Warlock STATUS: almost done

- finish Warlock Bombardier STATUS: finished!

- make a start airbrushing primary colours onto Stormfiends and Verminlord Warpseer STATUS: no progress

- airbrush primary colours onto Gnawholes STATUS: no progress

So let's scale this back drastically, given that we're already more than halfway through the month.

I promise-promise, on my lack of honour, that I will 

- finish those 20 Clanrats

- finish the Arch Warlock

Anything else is a bonus! All that said, I did finally put the finishing little touches on the bases of my Doomwheel and Warp Lightning Vortex, so tiny paw pat on the back for that. If I get the airbrush out then I might have a look at the Gnawholes as they'd be relatively easy to get done...

Edited by Kirjava13

On 10/29/2019 at 10:43 PM, l1censetochill said:

My first time posting in one of these, but I figure why not? Now that my first 2k points are done, I could use some extra motivation to keep hobbying.

I've got an unfortunate amount of travel happening in November, so that will definitely slow my painting down quite a bit. However...

For the month, my pledge is to finish painting at least one squad of Liberators and my Lord-Relictor. I'll also get a head start on priming (won't be able to do it outdoors for much longer here!). So I'll build my second squad of Liberators , another Celestar Ballista + crew,  Astreia Solbright, and at least 3 endless spell models and get them primed by the end of the month so I can paint them when I'm back.

Plans might change depending on whether or not I end up acquiring additional models or not. We'll see. I think that's enough to be starting with, though!

Finished up my contract today - might seem early, but I'm leaving the country in 2 days and will be gone until December, so I was actually cutting it close! I posted the Relictor previously, here he is alongside my finished squad of Liberators. I used the fantastic Berek the Indomitable model for the Prime w/ Grandhammer, and was especially happy with how he turned out.

Overall, glad I signed on for this. Given how little time I had to paint this month, the contract helped to keep me focused. And I'm all primed to start next month when I get back, too!

IMG_3924.JPG

• Like 7

Just finished the Mortek Guard from Feast of Bones. These were such nice models to paint! Enough going on that they were interesting to paint, but not tons and tons of little extra fiddly bits (looking at you Corvus cabal...) and the details on the models were so crisp!

I’ve got a full free weekend home alone, so hoping to get the Nexus and Endless Spells finished off, they’re all in differing stages of half done at the moment...

185AB8E7-B2D4-45E8-892A-8ED930A72B9A.jpeg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

Not too much progress. My hobby room has turned into the room of someone needing shelter from abuse, so I have to find make a new one. Working at my desk is a bit awkward; paint, pack up everything, unpack everything, paint, pack etc etc.

I can free some room in my attic though, which I just haven't had the energy to do.

So, I have a bit of sad news... apparently, some of my older models that I varnished a couple of months ago by brush had a bad reaction to the cold weather here... and they have frosted by a noticeable amount. It really sucks because I've had these models for about a year now. 

The models affected:
2x Allopexes
My Squad of 5 Ishlaen Guards, which were some of the first models I painted. 

Fortunately, nothing else has been affected by this. Still really bumbed out by it. I think they stand up enough that I can still put them on the table. But I will ultimately replace them when I can.

After selling my Daughters of Khaine, and now this, my collection of painted models has grown and shrunk simultaneously this year. I cannot wait to get more stuff painted and based this year. And since it's winter, got nothing to do but paint more stuff :).

WPP82Xu.jpg

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

@ThalmorRepresentative

Why not strip them and start over?

Use what you learned since then and make them better. 

Hi Vasshpit, 

I've actually been considering what you suggested over the last couple of days, as others have suggested this as well. I believe I will try and save them😀, but I've never had much luck trying to strip anything. But I guess that depends on what's being used for the stripping process, and this time I'm more informed. 

Hope to do this soon!

On 11/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Hi Vasshpit, 

I've actually been considering what you suggested over the last couple of days, as others have suggested this as well. I believe I will try and save them😀, but I've never had much luck trying to strip anything. But I guess that depends on what's being used for the stripping process, and this time I'm more informed. 

Hope to do this soon!

Plastics tend not to strip quite as nicely as metals due to the caustic nature of the really good paint stripping agents. (Simple green is okay...)

Mainly because they have a propensity to soften and melt the plastics. 😑 

Definitely test your stripping methodology on a mini that you’re not as attached to ... 

5 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Plastics tend not to strip quite as nicely as metals due to the caustic nature of the really good paint stripping agents. (Simple green is okay...)

Mainly because they have a propensity to soften and melt the plastics. 😑 

Definitely test your stripping methodology on a mini that you’re not as attached to ... 

I've actually watched a stripping comparison video by Goobertown Hobbies, and I think I know just the stuff to use to strip these models with minimal damage :). We'll see.

The Reavers prepare for the hunt! Soon... they'll be ready.

7wfhb9D.jpg

JAIZ8je.jpg

OfWc6Dn.jpg

AiAd2Ld.jpg

wthRIUO.jpg

7h2XBAw.jpg

3JdO1R3.jpg

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 9:28 AM, Maxi99 said:

My pledge for this month is the following:

Magister

Corvus Cabal (need these done by the 16th for a warcry tournament)

Build and prime Bonereapers from Feast if Bones, if it arrives...

Bonereapers endless spells

This has been a very productive month! I managed to finish everything planned along with the Nexus and units of blue and brimstone Horrors.

Last couple of pics.

75FCC006-B806-400A-A0DD-EF61B25F8E16.jpeg

57853D29-0FB0-4698-BCA9-751808254352.jpeg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 10/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, Kramer said:

I’m back init boys! Meat’s on the menu and painting on the table. While waiting for the feast of bones I’m:

- finishing of some final touches on old deamon slayers who I’ll play as hearthguard bezerkers.

- prepare odd ogor bits and models I have lying around for paining.

then it’s ogor time!
- 2 leadbelchers (With a new skin tutorial I happen to know a certain tga member will release soon)

- ironblaster

- tyrant probably halfway through because I want to take my time  

- said bits and bobs if time allows. 

Forgot the Mawpot. Need to fit it in somewhere. 

Wait what happened? Okay in typical 'me' fashion my plan fell to pieces within the time it took for the Feast of Bones box to arrive. 😂 For one I decided to buy another Feast of Bones Ogor half to build 10 Leadbelchers instead of two, build and paint two ironblasters and 6 Ogors with double hand weapons so I can field a Underguts list as well. 

Secondly I decided to make a bit more effort on the models with help of the @Lysandestolpe skin painting tutorial. The bits and bobs ended up being 20 Gnoblars and the Overtyrant. 

So for what I actually did... 

- thought of the narrative for the Ogors and suitable bases and paintscheme
- Finished Daemon Slayers

F9C176DD-9FFB-49DF-9D54-4844363EC89A.jpeg.81b85a758406cc1f5981520fe0781ecf.jpeg
- Final touches needed on 20 grots
- Skin left on Ogor overTyrant
- Prepared one Feast of Bones box for painting
- Finished a glutton and then a leadbelcher test model

5BBFACFE-B81B-48C1-8F96-B0349D7AC0E4.jpeg.69972da9b4816594bc2525b1e85c9a06.jpeg

9AEB1883-B348-477C-9FF6-6FE6BFAA9DF6.jpeg.56db6d17f69cad6c6aa9e1c91951e8ce.jpeg

- Everything except skin on 4 Gluttons and 2 leadbelchers

Edited by Kramer