Ossiarch Bonereapers, hideously overpowered?

HollowHills

There‘s a lot being very strong (the scenery is by far the strongest of all scenery pieces across all armies)

effects like run and charge or +1 save for the whole army are also almost too potent.

they‘re very tanky AND they deal a good amount of damage.

it all comes down to points and as we all know: GW too often epically fails concerning that.
Since they‘re the latest faction with a lot of kits I expect them to use rules and powerlevel as selling factor. 
all said and do e I assume they will be undercosted (points - absurdly so even) while being overcosted money-wise, I know that since we‘re talking about GW here.

Edited by JackStreicher

@JackStreicher the points are up the Greenman Gaming video doing the rounds shows them and they are summarised in this post here

Morghasts even went up by 10 points to 210 and people already considered them expensive at 200. 

Their troops and cavalary are equally very expensive. Overall they feel expensive with only things like the trebuchet feeling cheap (though that's somewhat compared to its size). Otherwise they seem quite well high costed. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Overread said:

@JackStreicher the points are up the Greenman Gaming video doing the rounds shows them and they are summarised in this post here

Morghasts even went up by 10 points to 210 and people already considered them expensive at 200. 

Their troops and cavalary are equally very expensive. Overall they feel expensive with only things like the trebuchet feeling cheap (though that's somewhat compared to its size). Otherwise they seem quite well high costed. 

Now I only need all them profiles to put all the points into context. Thx @Overread=}

@Brakhdo you have the crawler rules? (I’d like to see for myself)

Edited by JackStreicher

11 minutes ago, Brakh said:

App is updated with new warscrolls

Ty, has the price of the models been leaked as well? There might be a correlation to be seen.

so far the crawler seems okay. Giving that thing a almost auto-kill for any infantry hero is bad game design (it‘s plainly unfun).

the catapult shots are way too good against any unit with bad armor, but they‘re rather bad against 4+ armor.

200 points might seem to be okay though (I would‘ve rated it inbetween 180-240 Without playtests)

Edited by JackStreicher

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Ty, has the price of the models been leaked as well?

Here you go.

72554129_463316554529248_3468085950062526464_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQlh3SW8rAdNuW6_XTCXhQ0rRhJlZtTN08_EOVe_CViHQNWvf01PaS1_ljYysL3AAjh1oXZ2FMtfAQ-aeJpZnZbt&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=6754067704567fbf5c7294b41882fdb9&oe=5E1A64A3

Honestly, the points for what the army does seem to be fair. The efficiency comes from bringing things back. And if you have multiple heroes bringing your expensive cav or battleline back, you are going to be a meatgrinder of an army.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Supasnake said:

Here you go.

72554129_463316554529248_3468085950062526464_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQlh3SW8rAdNuW6_XTCXhQ0rRhJlZtTN08_EOVe_CViHQNWvf01PaS1_ljYysL3AAjh1oXZ2FMtfAQ-aeJpZnZbt&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=6754067704567fbf5c7294b41882fdb9&oe=5E1A64A3

Honestly, the points for what the army does seem to be fair. The efficiency comes from bringing things back. And if you have multiple heroes bringing your expensive cav or battleline back, you are going to be a meatgrinder of an army.

The only model being way too cheap is the harvester, the dmg potential is absurd - twice-thrice as good as a hydra while not costing that much more. That one should to 240 pts.

apart from that I think you are right, the points seem fair. Now we have to wait for playtesting! =}

• Like 1

I'd like to revise my initial impression to a certain degree.

I see the army being in a weird spot. Potentially there is like 1 or 2 combos, that will certainly be good, but their point cost design is too inconsistent. Some of the units are good priced, but the real deal bringers are a little expensive for what they will actually do on the board. On the paper it reads pretty good, but on the field it will be another thing, really.

3 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Will the box be limited edition, again?

So I'd suspect it again to be like #loongate to be not availabe in shops AGAIN for release, but to be on ebay for absurd prices.

Probably, but the only model you won't get to get for OBR is Vokmortian and he isn't nearly as necessary or useful for the army like the Arch-Revenant is.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Ty, has the price of the models been leaked as well? There might be a correlation to be seen.

so far the crawler seems okay. Giving that thing a almost auto-kill for any infantry hero is bad game design (it‘s plainly unfun).

the catapult shots are way too good against any unit with bad armor, but they‘re rather bad against 4+ armor.

200 points might seem to be okay though (I would‘ve rated it inbetween 180-240 Without playtests)

Even if you buff the catapult with +1 attack at full health it averages 11 wounds with no rend. For 200 points plus a hero buff it seems good but not great. Especially as if it gets tagged in melee it can’t shoot at all due to its minimum range. 

• Like 1

The real deal is the mortrek guard. If you think that 440 for 40 of these guys with 3+/3+/6++ (5++ with boneshaper artefact) And Possible 5+ vs mortals (spell), with immunity to battleshock, rend, and movement 7 is weak...

Also batallion are super cheap so you can include it and not only get a command point EACH BATTLEROUND but also lower your drops.

The other choice i agree are pretty expensive (riders, morghasts and such). However those who complaint should have a look at other armies that are in a painful status right now.

Also do not forget 2+ r1 nagash and 3+ arkhan with all 6 spells from the lore+ realm spells. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

The real deal is the mortrek guard. If you think that 440 for 40 of these guys with 3+/3+/6++ (5++ with boneshaper artefact) And Possible 5+ vs mortals (spell), with immunity to battleshock, rend, and movement 7 is weak...

Also batallion are super cheap so you can include it and not only get a command point EACH BATTLEROUND but also lower your drops.

The other choice i agree are pretty expensive (riders, morghasts and such). However those who complaint should have a look at other armies that are in a painful status right now.

Also do not forget 2+ r1 nagash and 3+ arkhan with all 6 spells from the lore+ realm spells. 

This is what I noticed as well. Horde mortrek spam is easily worth 440 points and I suspect will be the meta combined with the crawlers and some healing/resurrecting shenanigans. 

Still unsure on whether it will dethrone anyone else but if you get these guys on objectives it sure looks like a hearthguard beserker situation but more armywide.

2 hours ago, Emissary said:

Probably, but the only model you won't get to get for OBR is Vokmortian and he isn't nearly as necessary or useful for the army like the Arch-Revenant is.  

I'd suggest that Vokky guy is pretty decent with his "you won't fight this turn" thing :D

So the tyrant will be released?

Edited by Battlefury

Just now, Battlefury said:

I'd suggest that Vokky guy is pretty decent with his "you won't fight this turn" thing :D

So the tyrant will be released?

He's decent, but the Arch-Revenant is really good and shows up in a lot of lists.  I think Vok will be less so.

They just said that it was the first chance to get the tyrant, but who knows when it will be released separately.  At least for that model there were already the older ones that can be used.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheCovenLord said:

This is what I noticed as well. Horde mortrek spam is easily worth 440 points and I suspect will be the meta combined with the crawlers and some healing/resurrecting shenanigans. 

Still unsure on whether it will dethrone anyone else but if you get these guys on objectives it sure looks like a hearthguard beserker situation but more armywide.

Everything is damn expensive though.  I've been trying to come up with an initial list and it's hard due to the points cost.  It adds up extremely quick.

I think the dominant lists will be 2x40 mortek guard in the petrifex army. Massively durable hoarded to march forward, and still tons of points for fast movers, buffers or kalvalos himself. People are playing 60xhearthguard in fyreslayers already and these don't seem much different while also being faster and cheaper.

1 hour ago, Skelebags said:

In its defense, the 2 special shots are once per battle.

1 hour ago, Brakh said:

In 2k game you can get up to 4 of them. Cursed stele that once per game ability, allows shooter to choose model. Nasty coherency breaker? ;)

The battletome Warscroll has no mention of the abilities being once per game. I’m assuming that is coming from the app as I haven’t checked that yet

3 hours ago, TheWolfLord said:

The battletome Warscroll has no mention of the abilities being once per game. I’m assuming that is coming from the app as I haven’t checked that yet

It's on the app warscroll. Under dread catapult. Each Dread catapult can only make one Cauldron of Torment and one Cursed Stele attack per battle.