Ossiarch Bonereapers, hideously overpowered?

HollowHills

If you kill the unit champ they can't even use their abilities. Yes I understand they can return models. 

Y'all need to chill. This is the same fight I had when HoS were released. Everyone wants books updated but refuse to update how they play the game themselves. 

For example the KoS problem is basically resolved by Hallowheart, BS, BW and BR.

2 hours ago, Mr Spadge said:

They are a tough army to shift, that is slow moving but hits crazy hard.... which sums up fyreslayers as well.. . And fyreslayers dont seem to be dominating the scene so maybe there's more to it?

They‘re constantly in the top three or four (iirc) by spamming Hearthguards.

Edited by JackStreicher

39 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I don't see how either of these resolves the Keeper of Secrets issues.
Though I don't know what BW is supposedto be.

@whispersofblood that's why you don't use so many abbreviation in one short sentence... XD

O, I don't know how these solve Keepers either, but those are translations of the abbreviations.

Bonespitters, Big Waagh and Ossiarch Bonereapers.

They all are counter to the reason why HoS use a Keeper. Reliable damage through rend and high dmg numbers, speed and depravity point generation via wound count and kills.

Hallowheart is obvious they just nuke keepers and have limited to no multiwound models on the board.

Bonespitters are interesting because on paper they look like they would be a good match up via HoS. But board control, anti-hero and anti-monster rules make the reverse true. I expect by December once BS and Big Waagh start hitting the tables in sufficient numbers that HoS armies will look significantly different or consistently be dropping games to these factions. Also HoS don't have a clear answer to the Rogue Idol as a defensive piece and it can quite effectively zone out one or two keepers on its own. 

People seem to not have caught on that BS and Big Waagh can put out 180 3+/4+/-1 rend shots out for less than 800 pts.

These factions also naturally play a much longer game and aren't dependant on early game oppression and destruction to secure victory. A HoS player wants their opponent to go for it and play the game at a high pace so that depravity generation is condensed early game generating late game superiority.

• Thanks 1

The problem with bonereapers is that if you can field a unit of 15 deathriders, 2 40 man units of mortek, three catapults. Two harvesters, a liege kavalos, arkhan, katakros, a boneshaper or two, and immortis guard batallion of two units of 6 and some morghasts there is literally no army that can beat them in a tournament at 2000 points. 

of course that army is like 6000 points but no one cares about point values. Abilities look super scary together and that’s all we can see 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

To everyone who is telling people who are complaining about OBR to stop complaining: HAVE YOU FOUGHT THEM YET?!?!?!?

I recently had my first match against the Petrifex Elite, playing as my Mawtribes. I put all the rend that I could into the list, and it did nothing. The only kills I got was to one of his Mortek units (after 4 turns against 1 unit of 10), 2 Immortis Guard ( who I only killed with some lucky MW's), and his Leige Kavalos, who died because he made a poor tactical decision and ran straight into me. The only weakness I can see is against mortals, as you will be doing little-to-no normal wounds because of 2+ and 3+ saves.

Their damage output is fantastic, bravery isnt an issue, magic is good, shooting is present... the list goes on. It was not a fun game. 

I have no difficulty saying that as they are right now, they are broken.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

If you kill the unit champ they can't even use their abilities. Yes I understand they can return models. 

Y'all need to chill. This is the same fight I had when HoS were released. Everyone wants books updated but refuse to update how they play the game themselves. 

For example the KoS problem is basically resolved by Hallowheart, BS, BW and BR.

I have no idea what this post is saying. No offense, but man, the shorthand!

44 minutes ago, MKsmash said:

After one game. Got it.

What was the battleplan? Did you play to the objectives, or just try to kill?

I played with my Ironjawz vs. Seraphon last night. In turn one I got both mawkrushas to charge and killed a bunch of stuff. Before my opponent even had a turn, he said "Man! How do you ever lose with this army? That's OP!"

But we kept going.

It turned out to be a nail biter that went to turn 5 with a single passed armor save being the only reason I ended up winning.

Turned out that playing the objectives mattered more than just killing.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, MKsmash said:

To everyone who is telling people who are complaining about OBR to stop complaining: HAVE YOU FOUGHT THEM YET?!?!?!?

I recently had my first match against the Petrifex Elite, playing as my Mawtribes. I put all the rend that I could into the list, and it did nothing. The only kills I got was to one of his Mortek units (after 4 turns against 1 unit of 10), 2 Immortis Guard ( who I only killed with some lucky MW's), and his Leige Kavalos, who died because he made a poor tactical decision and ran straight into me. The only weakness I can see is against mortals, as you will be doing little-to-no normal wounds because of 2+ and 3+ saves.

Their damage output is fantastic, bravery isnt an issue, magic is good, shooting is present... the list goes on. It was not a fun game. 

A OBR player in my local gaming group had a 2000p game against Ogors and got crushed by a Gutbuster heavy Ogor army. 

5 minutes ago, Dolomyte said:

I actually think crematorian might be the better tournament list 

Maybe, I'm probably dazzled by flat bonuses that Petrifex gives. But Crematorians seems like a strong choice with Mortal wounds and healing to back Mortek up.

Edited by Harioch

13 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I mean, can't we at least wait for the initial FAQ before we start the raging?

We shouldn't have to wait for a FAQ to judge a faction that was supposedly playtested and sent into production "balanced". These comments are regarding the state of the army right now on release; if a FAQ or Errata changes that then obviously it will be re-evaluated.   

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

We shouldn't have to wait for a FAQ to judge a faction that was supposedly playtested and sent into production "balanced". These comments are regarding the state of the army right now on release; if a FAQ or Errata changes that then obviously it will be re-evaluated.   

Yes but there are some areas where there's a question mark over interpretation of the rules. For example, right now multiple harvesters can be argued to activate their ability on the same dead model. This, of course, increases the potential output of a group of them considerably and makes a dramatic difference to their healing/returned model function. 

@Sleboda Fine.  One game. Sure. I guess I can't judge them based on that. Also to be fair, can't say that the entire army is overpowered, I should have just stated that I though the Petrifex were overpowered. Perhaps I was raging. However, we were playing with objectives (Battle for the Pass).

@Gecktron Do you know what his list was? I would much appreciate it if you could get it.'

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Oh man! I guess Bonereapers stink and ogors are broken. 

Okay, perhaps I may have been wrong.... But is that really necessary?

To beat the Petrifex, I think mortal wounds are needed. For example, Khorne would have a lot less difficulty fighting them.

Edited by MKsmash
reasons

37 minutes ago, MKsmash said:

@Sleboda

@Gecktron Do you know what his list was? I would much appreciate it if you could get it.'

Something like this: 

Crematorians

Leaders
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
Arch-Kavalos Zandtos (220)

Battleline
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
Gothizzar Harvester (200)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 108

18 hours ago, Dolomyte said:

The problem with bonereapers is that if you can field a unit of 15 deathriders, 2 40 man units of mortek, three catapults. Two harvesters, a liege kavalos, arkhan, katakros, a boneshaper or two, and immortis guard batallion of two units of 6 and some morghasts there is literally no army that can beat them in a tournament at 2000 points. 

of course that army is like 6000 points but no one cares about point values. Abilities look super scary together and that’s all we can see 

100% this 😂