AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

2 hours ago, Fundre said:

Hey guys,

Rules question, billowing ash spell from the firebelly has a aura effect of 12". If I place the firebelly on a balewind vortex, does the aura effect of billowing ash increase by 6" or not? My game group is arguing it only effects the casting range of spells but I disagree

This is pretty definitively answered in the designers' commentary:

So, yes, but be warned that they will have a chance to dispel Balewind in their turn and deny you the effect if you rely on the increased range.

Screenshot_20191217_193037.jpg

Edited by EldritchX
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, EldritchX said:

This is pretty definitively answered in the designers' commentary:

So, yes, but be warned that they will have a chance to dispel Balewind in their turn and deny you the effect if you rely on the increased range.

Screenshot_20191217_193037.jpg

Cheers mate!!!! I love it when I'm right.

THANKS

• Like 1

I had a mini tournament last weekend with my pure BCR. The list i brought was this:

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard  
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
- Mount Trait: Frosthoof Bull
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts  

Battleline
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Total: 1980 / 2000

I met a flesh eater list and won, and a stardrake + prime list and won. I lost against a nasty skryre list with 9 stormfiends and double WLCs.

My humble analysis after this event is that the ”monster counts as 10 models”-rule is awesome! Makes holding objectives so much easier. Also the ”dig deep your heels” ability makes for much more reliable damage output. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Patriark said:

I had a mini tournament last weekend with my pure BCR. The list i brought was this:

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General

Battleline
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers

I met a flesh eater list and won, and a stardrake + prime list and won. I lost against a nasty skryre list with 9 stormfiends and double WLCs.

My humble analysis after this event is that the ”monster counts as 10 models”-rule is awesome! Makes holding objectives so much easier. Also the ”dig deep your heels” ability makes for much more reliable damage output. 

Not taking metalcruncher makes my stonehorn heart sad :( 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Patriark said:

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General

Battleline
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers

Is that list even legit? i mean i think you only have 1 battleline, the frost sabres as  your general is a the icebrow hunter. Mourfang and stonehorn are only battleline if your general is a beastclaw raider. You could somehow fix it by moving the general to one of the stonehorns and breaking the mournfang in 2x2 units

10 minutes ago, Bululu said:

Is that list even legit? i mean i think you only have 1 battleline, the frost sabres as  your general is a the icebrow hunter. Mourfang and stonehorn are only battleline if your general is a beastclaw raider. You could somehow fix it by moving the general to one of the stonehorns and breaking the mournfang in 2x2 units

Icebrow Hunters have the BCR keyword. No fixing needed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bululu said:

The hunter has the beastclaw raider keyword so afaik the list should be legit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EldritchX said:

Icebrow Hunters have the BCR keyword. No fixing needed.

4 minutes ago, Patriark said:

The hunter has the beastclaw raider keyword so afaik the list should be legit. 

13 hours ago, Patriark said:

Nice! didnt know that one! that opens some more list for me that i didnt thought off!

Had my first game with Underguts on Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

This is the list I ran:

Tyrant: General, Mass of Scar, Fateskeeker

Firebelly with Billowing Ash Cloud

Icelord on Stonehorn, Gnoblar Blastkeg

3 * 4 Leadbelchers

6 * 2 Leadbelchers

3 Ironblasters

My Opponent was Beasts of Chaos, with tonnes of Enlightened: 12 on disks and 6 on foot, Tzaangor Shaman, Shaman, Beastgrave Warband, 10 Gors, 40 Ungors, 10 Ungors, and two units of five Centigors. All except the warband in the Tzeetch Battalion

Mission was border war, so relatively straightforward.  I deploys with strong centre, all the characters, behind the Ironblasters then leadbelchers spread widely across the res of my deplyment zone: units of 4 near the front for some first turn pot shots and units of 2 screening flanks and blocking ambush.

He spread his force widely with Gors and 5 Centigors in Ambush and the Ungor screen stretching across the front of his deployment area.

His gave me first turn and importantly I managed to cast Billowing Ash Cloud.  Most of my army waddled forwards to tag the objectives and make potshots against the screen with leadbelchers.  The Ironblasters were more agressive so I could pop the command ability and blast some enlightened. Had reasonably hot dice and downed 4 enlighted on disks, neutering two 3 beast units.

His turn was unenventful, he moved forwards and charged with his screen (gumming up the Ironblasters), deployed both ambushed units, charged with some centigors and positioned the enlighted for charging next turn.  Not much damage done by either side in combat.

He wins priority and takes the double turn. In go the enlightened on mass engaging most of my army (avoiding the Frostlord and Tyrant). A combination of the Ash Cloud and carefull activation (to minimise re-rolls for the enlightened) means the causalities aren't was bad as I was expecting: 10 Leadbelchers and one Ironblaster. Worth saying having lots of small units really helped here with some units massively overkilled and others surviving relatively unscathed.  My combat was reasonably effective, taking down 2 more disk enlighted, one on foot and about 20 other assorted beasts. 

My turn two, I failed to get Ash Cloud this time, but it'd done it's job. The pot had a massive effect, healing 14 wounds in total.  Movement was easy, with only two units of Belchers and the Heros out of combat. The shooting went well, killing 3 more enlighted and freeing two more units of Belchers from combat.  Gnoblar blast keg even took out 8 models from the Ungors.

At last I got to do my first ever Ogors charges with the new book. It was glorious. 6 units charging (1 monster) did 15 mortal wounds, decimating the remaining enlightened.  The combat phase saw me mopping up all but the dregs of his force and when I won priority for the next turn he conceded.

Some thoughts:

My opponent really struggle to know what to do about my force, having the shooting spread across all the army, all of which are at least ok in combat makes the list hard to deal with.  If opponents aren't aggressive enough they get shot off the table, two aggressive and they risk units getting isolated and taken apart piecemeal. 

2 strong units of Leadbelchers are great. Cheap enough to be disposable, solid in combat and enough shooting that they are happy stilling on an objective or zone screening all game while taking pot shots.  Also having lots of small units make the army hard to sweep aside, makes best use of the mawpot and makes the most of Ogor charging.

Being able to basically ignore battleshock means units can happily strike out on their own without hero support. After playing Beast of Chaos, functional bravery of 8 and low model count is great.

For my list, hordes armies are going to be hard. Even getting though those 40 Ungor was a chore, not looking forward to 100s of rats or Gobbs. Only unit that I can see helping with this is some Ironguts, happy to hear other suggestions though.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Glad it worked out for you. Interesting to see a list not taking a battalion for the trophy rack. Did you find yourself missing it?

Other possibilities include some smaller screens. Either 20 gnoblars to stand in front of your ironblasters turn 1 or splitting a few of the leadbelchers into even smaller units.

I really really like that the extra range gives this list something to do on t1 if forced to take the first turn. Which many people will do against you.

He might have made a mistake not engaging with more things like the enlightened turn 1. How would that have worked out for you?

3 minutes ago, Frowny said:

Glad it worked out for you. Interesting to see a list not taking a battalion for the trophy rack. Did you find yourself missing it?

Other possibilities include some smaller screens. Either 20 gnoblars to stand in front of your ironblasters turn 1 or splitting a few of the leadbelchers into even smaller units.

I really really like that the extra range gives this list something to do on t1 if forced to take the first turn. Which many people will do against you.

He might have made a mistake not engaging with more things like the enlightened turn 1. How would that have worked out for you?

In this particular matchup I didn't miss it at all.  The primary target was always going to be the enlighten which the troph rack doesn't help with.

Possibly not as clear as I could be, I had 6 units of 2 Leadbelchers, so as small as they come.  But yes I think at least one unit of Gnoblars would have been a good thing.

He could have been more aggressive with one big unit of enlightened on disks (6), but the foot ones were out of range and the others neutered.  I think he did the right thing keeping them back as they only would have reached one unit and would have been very easy to deal with if he failed the charge (only 7", but it happens) or lost priority.  Might have made it a closer game, but definitely high risk. 

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Possibly not as clear as I could be, I had 6 units of 2 Leadbelchers

I guess I thought it was 2 units of 6! He might have been able to fate dice gauranteed a charge if he wanted.

A thought- if you aren't using any big units to bully and you don't take the trophy rack, the Tyrant doesn't seem to offer much. Maybe Consider dropping him? You have lots of other tools you could buy with those points (another wizard, more leadbelchers or ironblasters, somegnoblars a battalion for ethereal amulet on the FLOSH would all be great for you)

40 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

my gnoblar conversion army.

That’s all the justification you need, right there. 😉

Tbh, I haven’t used them much, but when I did, found them a bit lacklustre, even against (almost-) unarmoured hordes. With (very) good rolls, they can do well, but mostly do 1-2 wounds before armour, 2-4ish against hordes. I also can’t think of a combo that makes them much better, given the current options. But that shouldn’t stop you from trying!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chrisdanish said:

Just a quick question that check my understanding.

Does the Earlbad battalion ( mw on 6s to hit) also affect any mounts like stonhorns and mourfang?

Cheers! 

Yes, its models in the battalion, with no stipulations. Normally if it affects mounts, or doesnt affect mounts, it will state it somewhere. If not, its all attacks. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rosa said:

Has anybody used the new blood bowl ogors for conversations?

Or are there any pics from someone who had? Could be a good basis for butchers and Hunters.

I've just bought the Blood Bowl Ogres to use two of them to make a butcher and a slaughtermaster :)

If I get chance over the xmas period to work on them I'll put some WIP photos on here :)

• Thanks 2

On 12/19/2019 at 5:44 PM, Verminlord said:

Does anyone use the scrap launchers?

I know the general consensus is they're not great but I'm trying to justify adding one or two to my gnoblar conversion army.

Are they at least effective against horde units with the d6 dmg or is the 4 to wound just too swingy?

Not used but much like anything, they basically need to be in numbers to do anything. They also help fill out a relatively cheap Battalion which is nice if you want Gnobs and some extra shooting. There is probably some nice synergy with them removing screens for the Fat Lads to clobber the juicy stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Been working on my 2k army and i am slowly getting ready (need like 3 more models built and painted)

I have no idea how strong it will be but the thought behind it is to try maxize some units.

The IBs can get double shots, rr1s from endless, bonus dmg vs heroes/monsters.
Also have the charge spell, its an easy to cast and 18" range.
Idea if needed is to have a screen, move slowly forwards every turn and later if the spell goes off go in for the kill and count as monsters on the charge.

Goremand is chosen so i can try fish for the +´1 hit two times for the big unit of gluttons.

Idk about pallisade, very situational but it was 30pts left to use something for.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Underguts

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Butcher (140)
- Tenderiser
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blubbergrub Stench

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
20 x Gnoblars (100)

Battalions
Goremand (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
The Burning Head (30)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 158

Any thoughts/feedback about this list and my thought process?

Underguts.PDF

Edited by FattBooM666