AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

Tailored lists are impossible if you just want to test out units. But totally with you on the leadbelchers. 

would you add a hunter with some cats in? To have some turn 1 backfield pressure? Or a firebelly for Ash cloud turn one ? 
We do have a lot of easy battalions so a two/three drop army shouldn’t be impossible. 

If you know you are going vs greywater probably use the - 1 hit mawtribes. Killing them won't be a problem so you don't need the extra buff spells. You just need to survive that first volley or two.  Probably also FLoSH with ethereal amulet if you have one. It might die to all that shooting but at - 1 to hit and ethereal it should soak up enough firepower to let your other stuff into combat. 

3 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Gorgers probably just need to come down a few points. A unit of two stands reasonably good odds of sniping a wizard or clearing a 10 man objective holder

3 hours ago, Dr Ben said:

Gorgers probably just need to come down a few points. A unit of two stands reasonably good odds of sniping a wizard or clearing a 10 man objective holder

The main problem I have with the gorger is that it fills the same role as the Hunter/sabres combo, even if you buff them there is still this role override problem. I'd rather have them change role completely to offer something new and different.

4 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

Sadly, the firebelly doesnt really fit my icy theme. Maybe a homemade one, wearing furs and blowing an ice cloud... Hmmm... 🤔

Nick Bayton (of GW fame) painted regular Firebelly as that and it looks really cool - it should be in some 2018 White Dwarf.

7 hours ago, Dr Ben said:

would you add a hunter with some cats in? To have some turn 1 backfield pressure?

This would've made the game far easier. They would've died quickly, but they definitely would've provided distraction and damage. Same with a gorger or 2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Since Slaughtermasters have the Butcher keyword do they count as Butchers for the Bloodgullet mawtribe and the Butchers band battalion?

Sorry, for the doublepost, but yes they do. If they didn't they couldn't gain Artefacts as the Mawtribes Artefacts specify Tyrant or Butcher only.

3 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Sorry, for the doublepost, but yes they do. If they didn't they couldn't gain Artefacts as the Mawtribes Artefacts specify Tyrant or Butcher only.

Not quite true, Slaughtermasters have the Butcher keyword, which qualifies them for anything which requires that keyword (Bloodgullet, butcher artefacts), keywords like this are always in bold text.

The Butcher's band asks for a Butcher, no bolded text, so it requires the warscroll named 'Butcher' and not a unit with the Butcher keyword.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Painkiller95 said:

The main problem I have with the gorger is that it fills the same role as the Hunter/sabres combo, even if you buff them there is still this role override problem. I'd rather have them change role completely to offer something new and different.

They do play the same role,one is gut busters the other BCR I guess. The main difference I can see gameplay wide is that the gorgers are more likely to make their charge than the hunter but less than the Frost sabres. Also I have gorgers :) (converted skin wolves anyway) 

Finally got my hands on the new book and I love it!

But some questions:

• Can a Huskard on Thundertusk "cast" 2 prayers? 1 of the 3 Everwinter prayers and 1 of the 2 on his own warscroll?
  • Mournfang can be taken with 2 models in a unit. Can a unit still contain a Hornblower and Banner bearer? Because in the warscroll it says 1 in 4 can be a Hornblower or Banner bearer
  • Ironfist, does a roll of a 6 also prevent the damage taken?

Does GW update official base sizes after every book release? Because as it stands now the Butcher officially comes on an 40mm base size. Yet in the book they placed him on a 50mm base (on the GW website he comes with a square base). 50mm bases are a pain to get. So if I can get away with putting him on a 40mm I will.

12 minutes ago, Dongilles said:

Finally got my hands on the new book and I love it!

But some questions:

• Can a Huskard on Thundertusk "cast" 2 prayers? 1 of the 3 Everwinter prayers and 1 of the 2 on his own warscroll?
  • Mournfang can be taken with 2 models in a unit. Can a unit still contain a Hornblower and Banner bearer? Because in the warscroll it says 1 in 4 can be a Hornblower or Banner bearer
  • Ironfist, does a roll of a 6 also prevent the damage taken?

1 - Yes, that's correct.

2 - I don't have the book handy, but if that's the wording then I would guess that you can only put banners and horns in larger units.

3 - Not always, the 6s for mortals effect is separate to the saving roll, which works as normal. (Though note this means you should still roll ironfist saves against attacks with enough rend to blow through the armour cos you can still bounce mortals on 6s)

Hello people. I am interested in getting into age of Sigmar and find that I really like the playstyle of the Ogor Mawtribes. Low modelcount, and astonishingly powerful behemoths tick all my boxes. I know I want to field at least three Behemoths. Please, how is this looking for a serious list to get involved in the competitive scene at my LGS?

Beastclaw Raiders: Boulderhead Mawtribe

- Command Trait: Lord of Bones/Beasts (1d4 Chan suggests the former, whilst people below state the later. Either-way, I refer to the ability that reads: Friendly BOULDERHEAD MONSTERS that are wholly within 12" of this general at the start of the movement phase can move an extra 1" when they make a normal move during that phase.

1x Frostlord on Stonehorn (General)

- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

- Artefact: Brand of the Svard

2x Huskard on Stonehorn

- Blood Vultures

1x Mournfang Pack

- Gargant Hackers

12x Ogor Gluttons

- Paired Blades

1x Tyrant

3x Leadbelchers

2000/2000

Am I missing any obvious synergies here?

Generally speaking, how potent do we think this faction will be? Or am I better served going Flesh courts and Zombie Dragons to peruse my behemoth crushing dreams?

3 hours ago, Haradion said:

Hello people. I am interested in getting into age of Sigmar and find that I really like the playstyle of the Ogor Mawtribes. Low modelcount, and astonishingly powerful behemoths tick all my boxes. I know I want to field at least three Behemoths. Please, how is this looking for a serious list to get involved in the competitive scene at my LGS?

Beastclaw Raiders: Boulderhead Mawtribe

- Command Trait: Lord of Bones/Beasts (1d4 Chan suggests the former, whilst people below state the later. Either-way, I refer to the ability that reads: Friendly BOULDERHEAD MONSTERS that are wholly within 12" of this general at the start of the movement phase can move an extra 1" when they make a normal move during that phase.

2x Huskard on Stonehorn

- Blood Vultures

1x Mournfang Pack

- Gargant Hackers

12x Ogor Gluttons

- Paired Blades

1x Tyrant

3x Leadbelchers

2000/2000

Am I missing any obvious synergies here?

Generally speaking, how potent do we think this faction will be? Or am I better served going Flesh courts and Zombie Dragons to peruse my behemoth crushing dreams?

1 quick note: an army may not include duplicates of the same mount trait (Ogor Mawtribes tome p78) & you only hve 1 until you take a battalion. Same as artefacts.

I love new ogors but am worried for any melee army in the current activation wars. 

Still think the good lists(of which i think there will be quite a few) are greater than 50% win rate.

Solid 3 of 5 wins tourney army.

Edited by Turragor

Some good points. I can't actually find a reference in the rules that says you can't take duplicate Mount Traits, merely duplicate artefacts. Would you be so kind as to source that for me?

In the meantime, how is the following list looking? Am I making the right call with the Huskards? Or ought I to go to Raiders instead and use the points to upgrade the Ironblaster into a unit of Leadbelchers perhaps?

I note that I am current lacking in magic and not making full use of the mawpot. 

Beastclaw Raiders: Boulderhead Mawtribe

- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts

- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

1x Huskard on Stonehorn

- Mount Trait: Metalcrusher

- Blood Vultures

1x Huskard on Stonehorn 

- Mount Trait Old Gristletooth

- Blood Vultures 

2x Mournfang Pack (2 each)