AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

38 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

I don’t know about Underguts being anything like that.  It kind of forces you into the trap of focusing on shooting, and even with the bonuses from underguts Ogors don’t come close to the shooting potential from Cities, KO, or Tzeentch.  Leadbelchers in particular are Gluttons with a shooting attack, not dedicated ranged units.

I the same manner Ironblasters are chariots with a gun. You just need a spell to go off though. But then you have a great charging unit with good impact hits. So you could argue that it doesn't out shoot the shooting list, but it outfights those lists. Don't know if it's worth it but on paper it looks like a decent/good all comers list. 

@Jabbuk I don't know if it's truly the hidden gem but i'm building up my ironblasters to try. I do know from my last few games that 10 Leadbelchers and 12 Gluttons are both very useful. So a Underguts list with 2x10 leadbelchers, 4 ironguts as foot troops. Tyrant with 3/4 Ironblasters. Butcher/slaughtermaster, 2x20 Gnoblars. Something like this. A lot of options to switch things up to get in a Frost Lord if you want for example. Also want to try 3 Ironblasters before commiting to a 4th. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chyortskazal said:

May I ask what your normal underguts list is?   I have a bloodgullet list, and I just invested in some more ironblasters to also be able to field an underguts focused list, so curious to see what you have been running with success!

Currently running this: 

Tyrant: general, trophy rack, fateseeker

Frost Lord on Stone horn: blast keg, metal cruncher

Firebelly: Ash Cloud

4 Ironguts

2* 4 lead Belchers

2 * 2 lead Belchers

4 Ironblasters

Tyrants gut guard.

Did a few short battle reps a few pages back. 

• Like 1

What do you think guys?

Butcher could make a lot of magicks un balewind and can use the command ability in gluttons. In other flank the StoneHorn on a killing spree auto healing with the bloodspatter (and healing nearby ogors).

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Butcher (140)
- General
- Cleaver
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1500 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

I played in the Champions tournament today at LVO, and got absolutely destroyed (0-3 today).

I had some really rough pairings, with my first match against the top ranked ITC player in AoS, and two OBR matchups afterwards. The first OBR matchup was nagash + petrifix, and the third round was petrifix + arkhan. Low moment of the matches was getting a stonehorn one shot by a mortek crawler at the top of 1.

Any...general advice for me going forward? Feeling pretty bummed about finishing out my two games tomorrow.

Here's my list:

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
- Army Mission: Attrition

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Butcher (140)
- General
- Cleaver
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Butcher's Band (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ajax_xaja said:

I played in the Champions tournament today at LVO, and got absolutely destroyed (0-3 today).

I had some really rough pairings, with my first match against the top ranked ITC player in AoS, and two OBR matchups afterwards. The first OBR matchup was nagash + petrifix, and the third round was petrifix + arkhan. Low moment of the matches was getting a stonehorn one shot by a mortek crawler at the top of 1.

Any...general advice for me going forward? Feeling pretty bummed about finishing out my two games tomorrow.

Here's my list:

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- General
- Cleaver

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Butcher's Band (140)

Lord of Beasts definitely should have gone on one of the stonehorns. And you could have dropped both ironguts in favor of more bodies for board control. 

How does a crawler one shot a stonehorn?

4 hours ago, ajax_xaja said:

Here's my list:

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- General
- Cleaver

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Butcher's Band (140)

I don’t want to waste time nitpicking the list itself, it is what it is, and can’t be changed now.  What I would say is that a crawler one shotting a FLoSH is obviously just rotten luck.  I actually had to re-read the warscroll, and the only way that could have happened is if they hit and wounded with all 3 normal attacks, you failed all 3 saves, and then failed almost all of your feel no pain saves.

That kind of thing happens, and it’s the nature of dice.  Just clear your head, recompose yourself, and go at it again.  I don’t want to armchair quarterback your list, but if you want feedback for next time I’m happy to offer my thoughts.

I'd definitely appreciate the list feedback to be honest. Unfortunately, Lord of Beasts needed to be on the Butcher since he's the general, and I needed enough battleline.

The mortek crawler was definitely bad saves and bad fnps, but it's not as bad as you'd think either. He was able to trivially give the crawler an extra attack from arch kavalos every shooting phase.

I'll definitely have a go at it today, and retweak for the next local tournament.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:04 PM, Jabbuk said:

I'm about to build my Scraplaunchers or Ironblasters from my FoB kits and am unsure which to build. I was listening to Warhammer Weekly analysis of the Mawtribes time and they seemed pretty sold on Scraplaunchers, including a Junkmob and that it was really cheap. 

I guess Scraplaunchers are more useful when your meta is full of large low armor chaff and that the Ironblasters are more suited to one shot single targets? I'm looking at using those in and underguts. 

Thoughts?

Hey, maybe magnetise it. I just started mine and first test looks good.

IMG_5734.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 hours ago, ajax_xaja said:

I'd definitely appreciate the list feedback to be honest. Unfortunately, Lord of Beasts needed to be on the Butcher since he's the general, and I needed enough battleline.

The mortek crawler was definitely bad saves and bad fnps, but it's not as bad as you'd think either. He was able to trivially give the crawler an extra attack from arch kavalos every shooting phase.

I'll definitely have a go at it today, and retweak for the next local tournament.

Gotcha.  Here’s my feedback as far as the list goes:

In a meta that includes OBR and new Tzeentch, you are almost required to go heavy on Stonehorns.  I was working towards a list similar to the one that won Tempest before it won Tempest (although the thermal rider cloak may be the piece of the puzzle I was missing).  Stonehorns are hands down the best unit in Mawtribes.  Having four stonehorns lets you smash most units into the ground, and when one of them has a 19” flying move, it can move over the enemy army to reach stuff like crawlers, harvesters, or other important support pieces.

Specifically to your list, I don’t think you aren’t getting enough mileage from Boulderhead to make it worthwhile over Bloodgullet.  You get two mount traits anyway, you will out-range the general and his command trait quickly (or have to stay close, negating the speed of stonehorns and the command trait itself), and you only have 2 targets for the command ability.  I would either lean into the Beastclaw side of the book and stay Boulderhead or switch to Bloodgullet.

Also, I would swap your mount traits.  You have two of the best ones, but stacking Brand and Clatterhorn is almost too much of a good thing.  Swapping the traits means that both frostlords hit with their horns on a 3+.

Fellow Gutbois I come with questions. I have recently finished painting my BCR so I shelved them for the moment to focus on my Gutbuster side. So far I've not been that impressed. I do however think Bloodgullet has strong legs. Especially with the pot, balewind vortex and arcane terrain in your territory. Now I have to say that I never played in a tourney before. But I feel most of the current competitive Bloodgullet lists do stuff that BCR can do better. So I want to try something else. Basically a Nurgle style list.

I want to maximize debuff spells. So far I have this on the shortlist:

1. Bloodgullet of course
  2. 1 butcher, 1 slaughtermaster with Bloodfeast, ribcracker, greasy deluge and fleshcrave (could be swapped out)
  3. Balewind vortex + pot.
  4. Troggoth hag (I have her, and we have troggoth allies, might as well make good use of them)
  5. Geminids.
  6. Firebelly with the -1 to hit aura spell.

That is 880pts.

Any other allies, spells, shenanigans I can bring to get even more good debuffs? And any suggestions how to fill the rest of the list out? I think that with all that -1 to hit I can maybe get away with not bringing gnoblars and letting Gluttons take that roll. With a 5+ save they usually just melt, but if the enemy get less hits in they might float some wounds.

I already tried the hunter + cats package. I didn't like it for Bloodgullet.  Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: I might as well ask it here. The Gitz cauldron endless spell. Do those point costs add to my allies cap?

Edited by Pitloze

3 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Fellow Gutbois I come with questions. I have recently finished painting my BCR so I shelved them for the moment to focus on my Gutbuster side. So far I've not been that impressed. I do however think Bloodgullet has strong legs. Especially with the pot, balewind vortex and arcane terrain in your territory. Now I have to say that I never played in a tourney before. But I feel most of the current competitive Bloodgullet lists do stuff that BCR can do better. So I want to try something else. Basically a Nurgle style list.

I want to maximize debuff spells. So far I have this on the shortlist:

1. Bloodgullet of course
  2. 1 butcher, 1 slaughtermaster with Bloodfeast, ribcracker, greasy deluge and fleshcrave (could be swapped out)
  3. Balewind vortex + pot.
  4. Troggoth hag (I have her, and we have troggoth allies, might as well make good use of them)
  5. Geminids.
  6. Firebelly with the -1 to hit aura spell.

That is 880pts.

Any other allies, spells, shenanigans I can bring to get even more good debuffs? And any suggestions how to fill the rest of the list out? I think that with all that -1 to hit I can maybe get away with not bringing gnoblars and letting Gluttons take that roll. With a 5+ save they usually just melt, but if the enemy get less hits in they might float some wounds.

I already tried the hunter + cats package. I didn't like it for Bloodgullet.  Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: I might as well ask it here. The Gitz cauldron endless spell. Do those point costs add to my allies cap?

How about Winterbite? Drop fleshcrave and blood feast if you're insistent on debuffs. Yhetees and Thundertusks have inbuilt -1 to hit. 

13 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

How about Winterbite? Drop fleshcrave and blood feast if you're insistent on debuffs. Yhetees and Thundertusks have inbuilt -1 to hit. 

You know. That is not a crazy idea. Cheapest thundertusk hero is still quite expensive. But I can play around with it for a bit.

Edit:

First draft of a winterbite list:

- Mawtribe: Winterbite

Leaders
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Allies
Firebelly (120)
- Lore of the Sun-Eater: Billowing Ash
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge
Frostlord on Thundertusk (390)
- General
- Trait: Wintertouched
- Artefact: Frostfang
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient

Battleline
6 x Icefall Yhetees (220)
3 x Icefall Yhetees (110)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 134

Edited by Pitloze

2 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

Why not a Huskard?

I went with the Frostlord because he is a nice home for the mandatory artefact. And I felt that the list was lacking raw damage. If I would swap out the Frostlord I would take a Huskard with call of the blizzard and put in the gitz cauldron with the remaining points so the Hag gets access to a teleport and itchy nuisance.

I could try both lists. I really think that you want that melee combat option the Frostlord has when stuff gets chaotic and you need to do monster stuff. But I'll try both lists in the coming weeks.

Edited by Pitloze
  • Thanks 1

Hiya!

I have two questions before my first tournament next month:

Eurlbad battalion: Does the 6s to hit count on ALL attacks from the units. So both gargant hackers AND tusks?

Metalcruncher: Do I use this at both mine and my opponents combat phases? (It only says "at the start of the combat phase")

Thanks y'all!

6 minutes ago, Dejnar said:

Hiya!

I have two questions before my first tournament next month:

Eurlbad battalion: Does the 6s to hit count on ALL attacks from the units. So both gargant hackers AND tusks?

Metalcruncher: Do I use this at both mine and my opponents combat phases? (It only says "at the start of the combat phase")

Thanks y'all!

Yes to both questions.

EDIT: To clarify, all melee weapons. If you have missile weapons they do not do mortal wounds.

Edited by SleeperAgent
  • Like 2

Anyone have the list that took 12th at the LVO? I’m assuming Eurlbad, but no idea really.

-edit- Nevermind. I found it.

List for Dave Bonselaar Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
Army Mission: ?

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Wizardflesh Apron
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast, ribcracker Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Fleshcrave Curse, greasy deluge
Battleline
8 x Ironguts (440)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists 12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
Units
20 x Gnoblars (100)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
Battalions Goremand (140)
Extra Command Points: 1 Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

Edited by eekamouse

1 hour ago, eekamouse said:

Anyone have the list that took 12th at the LVO? I’m assuming Eurlbad, but no idea really.

-edit- Nevermind. I found it.

List for Dave Bonselaar Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
Army Mission: ?

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Wizardflesh Apron
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast, ribcracker Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Fleshcrave Curse, greasy deluge
Battleline
8 x Ironguts (440)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists 12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
Units
20 x Gnoblars (100)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
Battalions Goremand (140)
Extra Command Points: 1 Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

Damn!!!!! This is pretty much the exact list I've been using for months! 

I am curious about how picky people can be about counts as models in regards to frost sabers.

I wanted to get some wild wargs and use them as frost sabers but with only two poses I figured I would just convert some. Was either going to do something goofy like gnoblar knights or more edgy and double base something that would look a bit like mortal kombats barakka. With only one model with that cavalry base size in the army I do not think it would be confusing to anyone. Just not sure if looking nothing like the stock model would become a problem.

I did gnoblar knights on wild wargs. It was very cost effective (wargs are only 18 for 6 and extra gnoblars are easy to come by) Adds enough variety that nobody every notices the fact that there are only 2 poses.

Does anyone know when they will post the Horthgorn's warscrolls? It actually seems somewhat likely that it will be valuable. They've really reduced the points on a lot of them recently. The KO and the BoC one are both quite useful for the role they fill 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drastion said:

I am curious about how picky people can be about counts as models in regards to frost sabers.

I wanted to get some wild wargs and use them as frost sabers but with only two poses I figured I would just convert some. Was either going to do something goofy like gnoblar knights or more edgy and double base something that would look a bit like mortal kombats barakka. With only one model with that cavalry base size in the army I do not think it would be confusing to anyone. Just not sure if looking nothing like the stock model would become a problem.

As long as you stick with warhammer figures (AoS and 40k) there should be no issue. Using LoTR minis isnt allowed in official GW events due to copyright claims. Same with 3rd party miniatures.

@Drastion

The correct answer is always "It varies". Games Workshop has no official standard for what sorts of conversions are allowed, even at their official stores it varies based on management and the TO.

For unit identification purposes, you're on track - if it is on the right base size, vaguely the right scale and your opponent is unlikely to confuse it for something it's not, most people will be okay. You'll still be better off if you confirm it with them as a courtesy.

And I have no idea what Kugane is referring to with 'copyright claims'. Games Workshop maintains the LotR miniatures license, and you own the miniatures you're using, so copyright is irrelevant.  What's going to matter is if you're playing in a WYSIWYG event or if your local play site has policies around conversions and proxies.