AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

@Frowny same here. So I do both ;) 

20 gnoblars and 4 frost sabres and a hunter. Now mind you I haven’t painted my underguts list fully nor my frost lord. So i have a bit more points to spare. 

Here's a question about Gnoblars, GW website says that they come with square bases. Have they been updated to have round bases?

8 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Here's a question about Gnoblars, GW website says that they come with square bases. Have they been updated to have round bases?

they come in square bases since the pictured isn't updated and the product description say comes with 24 20mm square bases so you have to buy the 25mm round bases yourself

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Looks so good, dude. Love the skin variations. I really like your bases. Could you share how you did them? I'd like to do some nice bases on my future Mawtribes army (2020 project)

They are incredible quick to make.

First some Cork pieces glued them I use the prduct in the photo. After that I glue tiny Stones and randomly apply agrellan (gw) Paint that cracks. Finally I dry brush with earthy tones, agrax wash and dry brush again... Ah I always glue some bushes

IMG-20200112-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20200115-WA0037.jpeg

IMG-20200112-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20200111-WA0031.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

A player called Nathan Watson just won Tempest 2020 with this Eurlbad list:

IMG_20200119_184221.jpg.7283c6a58409c43e8f7b54b5f821689e.jpgIMG_20200119_184228.jpg.87bf6cd7e607e4bdb9b61ea4a58ff118.jpg

He went 5-0 and played another Mawtribes round 1 (a jorlbad + skal). Both players took some variant of thermalrider stonehorn.

Round 2 was vs Beasts of Chaos.

Round 3 was vs the 3rd place Tzeentch player. Who took like 18 flamers in a changehost.

Round 4 was vs the 6th place Slaanesh player.

Round 5 was the 2nd place Tzeentch guy.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I find it interesting that after the book, every key content creators were saying that BCR kind of got shafted by the new book and Gutbusters got really improved. Yet, all the winning lists I see in tournaments are almost entirely consisted of BCR and huge beasts. I'm following a few channels as well on YouTube that are specialized in Ogors because they've been playing them for a long time and it really seems BCR is the way to go in the current meta. As a new comer who also really likes the foot Ogors, I wish the Gutbusters side would also be at least as competitive as the BCR. 

Would be curious to hear what are your thoughts on this? Maybe I'm totally wrong, I often am.

That being said, it's really amazing to see a Mawtribes player win with 5-0. Really happy for him and us.

Edited by Jabbuk

12 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

I find it interesting that after the book, every key content creators were saying that BCR kind of got shafted by the new book and Gutbusters got really improved. Yet, all the winning lists I see in tournaments are almost entirely consisted of BCR and huge beasts. I'm following a few channels as well on YouTube that are specialized in Ogors because they've been playing them for a long time and it really seems BCR is the way to go in the current meta. As a new comer who also really likes the foot Ogors, I wish the Gutbusters side would also be at least as competitive as the BCR. 

Would be curious to hear what are your thoughts on this? Maybe I'm totally wrong, I often am.

That being said, it's really amazing to see a Mawtribes player win with 5-0. Really happy for him and us.

It's more like Stonehorns are good I think. I'd be really interested to learn how Nathan played that list, especially the mournfang units.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jabbuk said:

I'm following a few channels as well on YouTube that are specialized in Ogors because they've been playing them for a long time and it really seems BCR is the way to go in the current meta. 

Which channels? Sounds interesting 

45 minutes ago, Jmason said:

Which channels? Sounds interesting 

The main one I follow is Doom & Darkness. Amazing content creator, amazing guy, longtime player of Ogors. I suggest everyone here to check him out on YouTube. He posts batreps, analyses, etc.

Another guy is HeyWoah. Him and Doom are both longtime Ogor players. HeyWoah is more BCR though. Doom lately has been preparing for Cancon and posting batreps consistently.

Edited by Jabbuk
  • Thanks 1

I think many people underestimate the impact of throwing X dice, where X is the number you rolled during the charge and each 4+ is a mortal wound.

Its like they are dealing an average of 3 mortal wounds per unit per charge even before any kind of battle starts. The odds of getting at least 1 amazing charge and wrecking an enemy unit is quite large. Not to mention charging heroes can be horrendous for opponents to deal with.

48 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I think many people underestimate the impact of throwing X dice, where X is the number you rolled during the charge and each 4+ is a mortal wound.

Its like they are dealing an average of 3 mortal wounds per unit per charge even before any kind of battle starts. The odds of getting at least 1 amazing charge and wrecking an enemy unit is quite large. Not to mention charging heroes can be horrendous for opponents to deal with.

with his army, he do MW when he charge, MW at the start of heroes phase, MW when doing a 6 to hit for most of his army...

During the entire game, it really add A LOT

• Like 2

https://tabletop.to/Tempest2020/

For all the lists. Tzeentch  did arguably better with every list in the top half

Also note that the 3rd last list also had 3 stonehorns, as did most of the lists in the middle  So maybe just that guy did really well.

But it is quite a lot of stonehorns people played. That alone is information, that many thought they were excellent. High damage plus counting as 10 models for objectives has been very strong for me, for what it's worth, as it mostly kills the target and if it doesn't, still takes the objective. I only own one though. And I'm kinda enjoying converting up the gnoblars for others.

21 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

IMG_20200119_184221.jpg.7283c6a58409c43e8f7b54b5f821689e.jpg

Hey guys. I will be playing a game tomorrow to train for a tournament in couple of weeks. I thought id try out the list above. I will be playing  against Fyreslayers with the ususal lodge and shenanigans.

Does anyone have any tactical tips for playing against the Fire dwarves?

When I've played with similar lists in the past I just rush into everything and kill stuff more or less. But that seems to be really bad against blobs of dwarves.  

What would you suggest?

2 hours ago, Dejnar said:

Hey guys. I will be playing a game tomorrow to train for a tournament in couple of weeks. I thought id try out the list above. I will be playing  against Fyreslayers with the ususal lodge and shenanigans.

Does anyone have any tactical tips for playing against the Fire dwarves?

When I've played with similar lists in the past I just rush into everything and kill stuff more or less. But that seems to be really bad against blobs of dwarves.  

What would you suggest?

Be careful with hearthguard berserkers. Kill 'em when you get the chance. Kill his squishies somehow.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:25 PM, Jabbuk said:

the way I look at it is that the gutbusters equivalent to a stonehorn is 8 ironguts. 
And while ironguts have a few advantages, (bigger board control, battleline if, count as more for objectives, does more damage, more wounds) the Frostlord has more advantages. its a hero which is massive for some scenarios, cheaper, you can customise them with traits and artefacts, smaller footprint, faster, after save And the absolute winner for me... The abilities don’t degrade.

Take 4 wounds on the ironguts. No more MW on 4+ when charging. 

For every 4 wounds on the ironguts the damage goes down. For the stonehorn just spend a command point. 

always counts as 10 models. 

so they are super reliable and on top of that the customisations with artefacts and traits. 

I still think there is a lot of play in gutbusters but it’s easy to see why the stonehorn is such an easy choice. 
(and a lot of people have them already I’m guessing) 

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 5:07 AM, peasant said:

They are incredible quick to make.

First some Cork pieces glued them I use the prduct in the photo. After that I glue tiny Stones and randomly apply agrellan (gw) Paint that cracks. Finally I dry brush with earthy tones, agrax wash and dry brush again... Ah I always glue some bushes

IMG-20200112-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20200115-WA0037.jpeg

IMG-20200112-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20200111-WA0031.jpeg

Hey, thanks so much for this detailed process. I'll try to get these products.. I have questions though regarding the process of glueing back the mini on the base, if you don't mind. I have never done complex bases like this and I'm wondering...

- Do you paint the mini without a base? Or you glue it to something to paint and then snap off?

- How do you make sure that the mini is solidly glued to the base when you put it back? Isn't the surface very uneven with all the added stuff rocks, etc? How do we make sure there's enough surface contact?

Finally, what type of glue do you use for maximum adherence? I always use the plastic glue that melts plastic together as I don't want my stuff to break. Could you share a bit about that?

Edited by Jabbuk

I've also done well with my Eurlbad lists. Stonehorns are just really good. And the Amulet FLoSH is REALLY good. The biggest change that people (including most of the youtubers) missed is that Stonehorns are very capable of taking objectives in enemy territory and actually hold on to it.

Stonehorns especially shine on battleplans where you can burn enemy objectives. Either they kill what's on the objective or they simply take it by just being there and counting as ten.

Don't play like you're Khorne. You dont need to always be in combat. You don't always need to take the first turn. You don't always have to charge in just because you can. You can actually play to the objective now. So do it.

Edit:

Also have to say this. I was in the boat of "Just charge Thundertusks and you'll see good dmg from them". Stonehorns are miles better than Thundertusks even vs hordes. It sucks. I actually like what they went for. But they wiffed so incredibly hard on the prayers. If you have a 360 pts priest he needs to have prayers that are worth those points. I'm not hopeful they are going to adress that in the GHB2020. Because dropping points on thundertusks does not change anything.

Stonehorns will be the automatic choice until the next book drops in my opinion.

Edited by Pitloze

2 hours ago, Pitloze said:

I've also done well with my Eurlbad lists. Stonehorns are just really good. And the Amulet FLoSH is REALLY good.

What do we think about Amulet vs Thermalrider? Is being able to move over screens worth more than an unrendable stonehorn who has to fight through them?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

What do we think about Amulet vs Thermalrider? Is being able to move over screens worth more than an unrendable stonehorn who has to fight through them?

I would only consider thermalrider if I went tribeless. And even then as my second item after Ignax scales. There is a lot of -2 rend going around. The amulet is just too good. Again to what I said before. You need to be able to take objectives and hold them. Thermalrider is only good for taking objectives imo.

Edit:

Also, the Tzeentch and KO books have stuff that only work vs flying units. So Thermal might actually be a detriment vs them.

Edited by Pitloze

12 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Hey, thanks so much for this detailed process. I'll try to get these products.. I have questions though regarding the process of glueing back the mini on the base, if you don't mind. I have never done complex bases like this and I'm wondering...

- Do you paint the mini without a base? Or you glue it to something to paint and then snap off?

- How do you make sure that the mini is solidly glued to the base when you put it back? Isn't the surface very uneven with all the added stuff rocks, etc? How do we make sure there's enough surface contact?

Finally, what type of glue do you use for maximum adherence? I always use the plastic glue that melts plastic together as I don't want my stuff to break. Could you share a bit about that?

1- I always Paint miniatures and bases separately.

2- one advice: plan your base according yo the feet of the miniature . I use a Big drop of cianoacrylate glue right in the center of each foot. Be careful that glue remains under the foot when you make Contact to avoid seeing the glue dry.

3- in 2nd answer I Tell you the need to design your base to fit the feet. Keep un mind if the miniature fall from the table it's 100% sure It Will break in the union feet-base. The good news is the ogor feet are very wide so you can achieve a good glueing are. Please apologize my english and feel free to ask

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pitloze said:

I would only consider thermalrider if I went tribeless. And even then as my second item after Ignax scales. There is a lot of -2 rend going around. The amulet is just too good. Again to what I said before. You need to be able to take objectives and hold them. Thermalrider is only good for taking objectives imo.

Edit:

Also, the Tzeentch and KO books have stuff that only work vs flying units. So Thermal might actually be a detriment vs them.

Honestly, I was in the amulet camp since the realm artifacts came out, but I’m definitely going to try the Thermal Rider Cloak and see how it works.  An 18” flying move on a FLoSH (19” in Boulderhead) strikes me as...well, pretty good to say the least.

• Like 3