AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

2 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

That could be cool looking. Use the stormcast ballista as their cannons unless its too big.

Maybe even Mongolian style Ogor archers? Would fit the multi-shot rules even better maybe. 
And, yeah, a big harpoon launching Ballista for really big game hunting 😃

11 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Had another game last night with my Underguts and another crushing victory.  Wiped out a Bonereapers army by turn three.

I was running a slightly different list, not relying on MSU as much.

Tyrant: General (Scars) and Gruson Trophy Rack, Metal Cruncher

Firebelly: Ash Cloud

Frost Lord on Stonehorn: Gnoblar Blast Keg

4 Iron Guts,

2 * 4 Lead belchers

4 * 1 Iron Blasters

2 * 2 Lead Belchers

Tyrants Gutguard battalion.

His list was not the usually Bonereapers fare with 3*2 Morghasts! Also 3*10 Mortek, 3 Immortis, 3 Stalkers, 1 Crawler, 1 Leige Kavalos, a Soulmason and the +1 to hit endless spell.  He use the run and charge faction for even more speed.

We played total conquest and during deployment we both split our armies between the left and right sides.  He sensibly kept his hero well away from the Ironblasters, so the trophy rack had basically zero effect all game.  

One side I just put the Frostlord and 8 Lead belchers, with the rest of the army huddled around the Mawpot/Firebelly.

I actually finished deploying first and happily gave him first turn. His turn was relatively uneventful, he marched forward a bit, his Crawler shots bounched off the Frostlord and one unit of Morghast ate a unit of 2 leadbelchers.

I moved forward aggressively to maximise turn one shooting and put pressure on both sides.  The frost lord gobbled up a unit of Morghast and my shooting blew away another unit and 12 Mortek Guard.  The Iron Guts got a long range charge off against the Stalkers and between impact hits and combat wiped them out.  

He got the next turn, killed 2 orgors with shooting but failed the Kavalos' charge into the Frost Lord, leaving a unit of Mortek to get eaten by him.  Other than that he charged one Ironblaster but only did a few wounds.  A 2 Ogor unit of Lead belchers were heros, being charged by 2 Morghasts (who has take 4 wounds previously) but wiping them out before they could charge: never underestimate an Ogor!

My turn two was completely devastating, wiping out all but three units via a combination of shooting, charge wounds and high damage attacks. Having lots of different damage sources in different phases means you can efficiently apply just enough damage to wipe out units and really cut armies apart when your up close and personal. The only real failure was the FrostLord whole charged the Kavos and killed him before striking (Thunderous Charge and Metal Cruncher), then happily pilled into the Immortas proceed to do 1 damage then get killed in return!

At this stage the game was basically over I had 3 objectives and we only had the Crawled, Hero and Immortas left.

Good game and again surprised at how well Underguts play on the battlefield.  I suspect that with some tuning they could compete at the top tables.

That list is really badass man, I like it a lot. I've been looking for a list that was shooty but with some BCR in it too. I'm wondering what you use to screen though, have you thought of gnoblars or gluttons? Why not use those at all? Also, are you in underguts or tribeless?

7 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

That list is really badass man, I like it a lot. I've been looking for a list that was shooty but with some BCR in it too. I'm wondering what you use to screen though, have you thought of gnoblars or gluttons? Why not use those at all? Also, are you in underguts or tribeless?

I use Underguts, otherwise the Ironblasters are just meh.

I did think it would suffer from lack of screens but with so much redundancy and only one soft target, it's no been an issue.  Almost any unit in there is ok for a screen, since they are basically all expendable. Depending on what units your worried about you can either spread out to minimise the number of units engaged or cluster up so each unit will only taken damage from a few models.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

I'm trying to think of a list that would have shooting, hunter as ambush in skal and some BCR as well.

Does that list make sense at all? If not, could you point out some blatant mistakes?

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Underguts

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Battleline
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Total: 2000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 141

Edited by Jabbuk

9 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Hi guys,

I'm trying to think of a list that would have shooting, hunter as ambush in skal and some BCR as well.

Does that list make sense at all? If not, could you point out some blatant mistakes?

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Skal (100)

You better Focus on underguts ir Skip It. But I cant help thinking It wont work 

10 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Hi guys,

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Skal (100)

This list...needs a little work. The huskard and Mournfang are only good if you're taking Boulderhead and not useful to you in Underguts.  You should take 1-2 more Ironblasters.

Try to fit in a slaughtermaster or a butcher.

I think the ultimate problem with this list is that it's too random. It has unfulfilled synergies (tyrant/Ironblasters) and an abnormal amount of BCR. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Hi guys,

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Just by removing mournfang pack for more cats and ironguts for more leadbelchers would give you  alot more synergies. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MKsmash said:

This list...needs a little work. The huskard and Mournfang are only good if you're taking Boulderhead and not useful to you in Underguts.  You should take 1-2 more Ironblasters.

Try to fit in a slaughtermaster or a butcher.

I think the ultimate problem with this list is that it's too random. It has unfulfilled synergies (tyrant/Ironblasters) and an abnormal amount of BCR. 

Following on from this advice you can drop the Ironguts to increase the 2 Leadbelchers to 4 and add a Butcher or Slaughtermaster.

From there I'd personally drop the Huskard & Mournfang for a Frostlord and more Frostsabres & Ironblasters. I figure if you're ambushing a unit of sabres it wants to be bigger than 2.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peasant said:

You better Focus on underguts ir Skip It. But I cant help thinking It wont work 

I agree with others. Leadbelchers are fine in all-comers lists, but to take advantage of underguts you need to commit slightly more

Some easy swaps are 

Mournfangs-> leadbelchers or ironblasters 

Gluttons-> Leadbelchers

Huskard -> FLOSH or stonehorn beastriders. He's kinda weirdly not as cheap as beastriders or killy as a FLOSH and not as durable as either

I think for frost sabres you need to commit to having enough of them to actually kill something when they arrive (like 6-8 in 1 unit). 

It would be easy to swap your Skaal for a tyrants gutguard if you want that instead. Skaal probably has a more useful actual ability though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I agree with others. Leadbelchers are fine in all-comers lists, but to take advantage of underguts you need to commit slightly more

Some easy swaps are 

Mournfangs-> leadbelchers or ironblasters 

Gluttons-> Leadbelchers

Huskard -> FLOSH or stonehorn beastriders. He's kinda weirdly not as cheap as beastriders or killy as a FLOSH and not as durable as either

I think for frost sabres you need to commit to having enough of them to actually kill something when they arrive (like 6-8 in 1 unit). 

It would be easy to swap your Skaal for a tyrants gutguard if you want that instead. Skaal probably has a more useful actual ability though.

Really appreciate everyone jumping in and commenting on the list. I was trying to make sense of the FoB box I have with a start collecting Beastclaw. I guess it's not focused enough and has many flaws :)

I felt like Skal is just really useful for the ambush threat. I was listening to podcasts on faction focus and the guys were saying that they basically take the hunter and some cats as mandatory in almost every build now because the threat and potential of it is excellent (since we lack any sort of teleport)

I'm also understanding from your comments that the list doesn't really need a Gluttons screen because Leadbelchers are basically gluttons but with guns. And I need more ironblasters. I was under the assumptions that ironguts were almost mandatory for strong hammer. I guess it's 8 irontguts or nothing? (For the bonus MW on charge?).

Finally, indeed I need some kind of caster for buffs. Butcher on Balewind? Since my list is more "static" than pure melee one.

• Like 1

I used to play sylvaneth and know the value of a random deepstrike. And with ogor am having trouble with how to work it in.

My thoughts this far:

There are 4 things you want a deepstrike to do

1 take an undefended objective

2 take a lightly defended objective

3 take a heavily defended objective.

4 assassinate a key target (little wizard or something)

Ogors can't really ever do 3 with out inordinate commitment so that's right out. You need like 400 pts of evocators for that

For 1 a single gorger or lonely hunter is fine. Cheap is important here because you want to pin something at least as valuable in the backfield

For 2 and 4 you need a bit of hitting power and reliability, so 1 gorger or 2 dogs won't do it and the skaal starts to be more appealing. So you either need like 3 gorgers or maybe 6 to 8 dogs, especially since you may want to have somewhere else fight first.

I keep wondering if a skaalis where I want to be. The extra unit of dogs doesn't every do that much for me... I'm considering just a gorger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabbuk said:

I felt like Skal is just really useful for the ambush threat. I was listening to podcasts on faction focus and the guys were saying that they basically take the hunter and some cats as mandatory in almost every build now because the threat and potential of it is excellent (since we lack any sort of teleport)

Absolutely. But the second part to get from that advice is that you don't have to ambush them. The great thing because of the speed and big bases is they function very well as screens. That can move up in front of your army. 

So you usually want the option of screening. It's practically a must. So that's cats or gnoblars.

Then if you take cats also take a hunter... you have the option and threat of deepstriking. Don't commit them early during set up and it might just force your opponent to protect his backfield. Which is a win for you because you might want them as a screen any way. 
Add to that their speed so you have a late game objective grabber unit in an elite army. If needs be of course. Which makes it great imo. It's something you might anyway and the hunter just adds options. 

Same can be argued for the gnoblers. Take that Tyrant so you can make them immune to battleshock. Take 40 gnoblars and suddenly you have a very hard to shift wall/block you don't have to worry about.

That in my mind is what the podcasts should be mentioning (just in case they didn't go all the way ;)

And further feedback on your list would be to just commit. Go for that 3rd and maybe even fourth ironblaster in time if you don't have it now. And add a butcher so you can take the spell that makes them count as monsters on the charge. (so 4+ mortal wounds). They will get into combat at some point and getting a two or more monsters charges into something elite is a scary prospect. 

On the Ironguts/gluttons/ironblasters. In my mind I've categorised them and try to match them as such where possible.
Irongut: kills elite. But to do so I usually want 8. 
Gluttons clears hordes or things that only go down to weight of die.
And Leadbelchers are in the middle. More of an utility unit in that sense.
Now this shouldn't be taken as absolute truth but that works for me. Hope this all helps. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

52 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I used to play sylvaneth and know the value of a random deepstrike. And with ogor am having trouble with how to work it in.

My thoughts this far:

There are 4 things you want a deepstrike to do

1 take an undefended objective

2 take a lightly defended objective

3 take a heavily defended objective.

4 assassinate a key target (little wizard or something)

I'd add a fifth/sixth which  hunter + cats does. (see my post above as well)

5 force your opponent to set up differently. 

6. have utility if ambush has little value (or you play total commitment)

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Absolutely. But the second part to get from that advice is that you don't have to ambush them. The great thing because of the speed and big bases is they function very well as screens. That can move up in front of your army. 

So you usually want the option of screening. It's practically a must. So that's cats or gnoblars.

Then if you take cats also take a hunter... you have the option and threat of deepstriking. Don't commit them early during set up and it might just force your opponent to protect his backfield. Which is a win for you because you might want them as a screen any way. 
Add to that their speed so you have a late game objective grabber unit in an elite army. If needs be of course. Which makes it great imo. It's something you might anyway and the hunter just adds options. 

Same can be argued for the gnoblers. Take that Tyrant so you can make them immune to battleshock. Take 40 gnoblars and suddenly you have a very hard to shift wall/block you don't have to worry about.

That in my mind is what the podcasts should be mentioning (just in case they didn't go all the way ;)

And further feedback on your list would be to just commit. Go for that 3rd and maybe even fourth ironblaster in time if you don't have it now. And add a butcher so you can take the spell that makes them count as monsters on the charge. (so 4+ mortal wounds). They will get into combat at some point and getting a two or more monsters charges into something elite is a scary prospect. 

On the Ironguts/gluttons/ironblasters. In my mind I've categorised them and try to match them as such where possible.
Irongut: kills elite. But to do so I usually want 8. 
Gluttons clears hordes or things that only go down to weight of die.
And Leadbelchers are in the middle. More of an utility unit in that sense.
Now this shouldn't be taken as absolute truth but that works for me. Hope this all helps. 

Amazing insights man, thank you so much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, peasant said:

My 1st ogor... Too bad I Will Focus on leadbelchers, but for a test is ok

IMG_20200118_212648.jpg

IMG_20200118_212631.jpg

Looks so good, dude. Love the skin variations. I really like your bases. Could you share how you did them? I'd like to do some nice bases on my future Mawtribes army (2020 project)

Maybe I should just drop the skaal then. 

I never get first drop anyway, so I'm not sure it does too much.

Regarding screens, I have loved my 20 gnoblars. I would love another unit of 20. Sometimes even just sitting in a skinny line along a board edge has one me games by blocking deepstrikes or edge of board appearing units. 

I'm not sure I'd want frost sabres as a screen though for their primary purpose. They cost slightly too much. 20 gnoblars and a command point covers 40 inches and moves 11 inches with the auto run. 8 frost sabres  costs and moves on average 12.5 in but onlycovers28 inches or so. 

• Like 1