AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Does anyone know the base size of frost sabres? I am going through their scroll and did some calculations and they seem to be quite good for their cost. Deepstriking a big unit can deal quite some damage early on - on average 3 to 4 times as much as an ironblaster. They can potentially delete problematic units early.

On top of that they can be buffed. So depending on their base size and ability to get in range they may be a solid unit. Perhaps even good enough to bring a sabre group of 12.

60x35mm oval

also, as an fyi the gw webpage states the base size for basically everything right on the description.

it makes getting a lot of them in contact rather hard, especially since they need to be wholly within 12 of the hunter who himself is unlikely to make the charge. I think more than. 6 you have trouble fitting them 

So originally I wanted to run Underguts with a good amount of Leadbelchers but think I'm holding off until GW decides to release them again. Heres what Ive been thinking of running now.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
-Mawtribe: Underguts

Icebrow Hunter (120)
-General
-Command Trait: Mass of Scars
-Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg

Firebelly (120)
-Lore of the Sun-Eater: Fiery Whirlwind

Tyrant (160)
-Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack
- Big Name: Fateseeker

Units

2x Frost Sabres (40)

2x Frost Sabres (40)

1x Ironblaster (120)

1x Ironblaster (120)

1x Ironblaster (120)

1x Ironblaster (120)

20x Gnoblars (100)

6x Ogor Gluttons (240)

Behomoths

Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions

Skal (100)

Potentially not enough of a front line. I could pull out a stonehorn for some extra gluttons but not sure if the benefit for that is there or not. I do like the idea of some ambush Hi-jinks with the Icebrow Hunter carrying around a bomb to use on a horde unit holding back to hold an objective. 

On 1/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, Kramer said:

I honestly hope it grows on me. The tyrant was brilliant in how it took the existing style. The hunter looks more like a non GW ogor. GW ogors in contrast always have the, relatively, small nose and gut plate. The hunter has that big Brutish nose instead and the gut plate is hidden. 

hope it’s just me thoug and everybody else is really excited about him. 

Bear trap crossbow is dope though 

The face doesn't seem that far outside the range of possibilities we see in the models, which to be honest could do with a bit more diversity.  The ogre plastics suffer from the same kind of issue as space marines, plenty of similar-looking bald men with the same expression and similar facial features. It would be nice if he was shaggier but this does add to the list of ogre heads which could be used to break up the ranks a little, alongside the beastrider heads and the new blood bowl dudes.

But I  do get you, I'm kind of cooling on him a little for his lack of furs and the lack of that wild stone age aesthetic the old one and the art had. Still like him, will still be getting one (if nothing else it's a hunter and frost sabre for something like £10-15 quid cheaper than it used to be, with added gnoblars) but depending on what the 360 shows for his back, I'll be adding in the heftiest fur cloak I can find and maybe swapping out the head for... something. I'd love to use the old one's head but the neck joint and the angle would be a struggle. Might just GS on some more facial hair.

• Like 1

Hi hungry hungry friends,

I have a tournament coming up in a couple weeks, and am going to take the Beastclaws. What are your thoughts on this list?

Mawtribe: Boulderhead - 2000 points

Huskard on Thundertusk 
- General
- Command Trait : Lord of Beasts }
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait : Alvagr Ancient 
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
Huskard on Stonehorn 
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait : Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak
- Mount Trait : Metalcruncher
Icebrow Hunter

2 x Mournfang Pack - Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Frost Sabres  
Stonehorn Beastriders

Mawpot

Eurlbad 

Svard Huskard babysits the Mournfang, Thermalrider Huskard acts as a bit of a cruise missile going after vulnerable targets (18 inches of flying movement helps), T'Tusk Huskard holds the backline and the Hunter goes into reserve and does some late-game objective hunting or Special Ops when/if required.

I'm kinda limited by stuff I have and can get painted so I know its not an ideal list, especially for a tournament (no magic, lol), but I'd like to hit the mid-tables and enjoy the weekend making monster noises as I shuffle my fatties around the board.

Thoughts?

xoxo

Not sure if i am alone on this but fter seeing that the Ogor dice were oversized and. It fits but i want to use the dice in games.  Now that games workshop wants $ 35 for the new tzeentch dice.  Getting custom dice made is the same price as games workshop dice I figured I would just do that. I assume they already trademarked the tzeentch symbol. Since any type of great maw symbol is out I need to find a silhouette image of some type of fanged mouth.

I was thinking of going with chessex getting red scarlet with white pips and symbol

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=633680610409317&id=633632507080794&set=a.633649493745762&source=56&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3D

Then something like this minus the eyes and nose or maybe like the Ironguts banner top.

https://www.teepublic.com/sticker/5923744-toothy-monster-snarl-silhouette-white

Could double as a flesh eaters court or non bouncy squig dice.

I was going to get some for myself and as a gift for a fellow mawtribes player. I wanted to make sure he would like them and play them rather than e itend up being a ugly Christmas sweater kind of thing. What do you guys think good bad idea? 

15 minutes ago, Drastion said:

Not sure if i am alone on this but fter seeing that the Ogor dice were oversized and. It fits but i want to use the dice in games.  Now that games workshop wants $ 35 for the new tzeentch dice.  Getting custom dice made is the same price as games workshop dice I figured I would just do that. I assume they already trademarked the tzeentch symbol. Since any type of great maw symbol is out I need to find a silhouette image of some type of fanged mouth.

I was thinking of going with chessex getting red scarlet with white pips and symbol

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=633680610409317&id=633632507080794&set=a.633649493745762&source=56&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3D

Then something like this minus the eyes and nose or maybe like the Ironguts banner top.

https://www.teepublic.com/sticker/5923744-toothy-monster-snarl-silhouette-white

Could double as a flesh eaters court or non bouncy squig dice.

I was going to get some for myself and as a gift for a fellow mawtribes player. I wanted to make sure he would like them and play them rather than e itend up being a ugly Christmas sweater kind of thing. What do you guys think good bad idea? 

I say go for. I would personally go for another image if possible but regardless it would make me very happy to be gifted them.  
regarding the image this is too much snarl not enough maw. But an image is easily made if you know anyone with illustrator/photoshop skills. 

Following on from something Rob on THW said recently (StD review I think...?) he reconds the "end game" for the drops meta is to just say ****** it and go for as many as possible and counter deploy.

I quite like this idea and wonder if Ogors are pretty great to do it. Also means a nice mix of Gutbusters, Beastclaw and perhaps even a cheeky Firebelly?!

You could even include something like the Skal for the cheap CP/ Artefact, or load up on little sabre units to bait enemy deployment and run a junkmob!

Thoughts?

Edited by Charlo

8 hours ago, Charlo said:

Following on from something Rob on THW said recently (StD review I think...?) he reconds the "end game" for the drops meta is to just say ****** it and go for as many as possible and counter deploy.

I quite like this idea and wonder if Ogors are pretty great to do it. Also means a nice mix of Gutbusters, Beastclaw and perhaps even a cheeky Firebelly?!

Yup, I think Ogors make a very strong approach for this and it opens up a MSU approach (multiple small units) that fwe other armies can pull off well.  

I've not had many games yet but my Underguts built around 8 units of two Leadbelchers is tearing up the tables and wiped out everyone I've faced. 

Latest version I ran was:

FLoSH, General (Mass of Scars, Gnoblar Blast Keg)

Fire Bell, Billowing Ash

3 Units of 3 Gluttons with Iron Fists

4 Iron Blasters

8 Units of 2 Leadbelchers

I've been double turned early in every game with basically every unit being a screen and Billowing Ash protecting the Frostlord and Ironblasters, it hasn't really mattered.  So may armies just struggle to take down that many units and with almost all of them having both Melee and Ranged threat it's very hard to play against. Help that you can easily screen out any teleportation as your Leadbelchers don't need to be close to each other to provide support, so you can screen out massive parts of the board without sacrificing much. 

Honestly I started Underguts as a more casual alternative to my Slaanesh, but they are turning out to be a power house.

• Like 1

Kramer

Yeah the image was just the first decent one I found through google.  The copyright is apparently wide as it cannot even look like a vague coppy. Apparently you cant even use a gutplate as a design even when it is just a few triangles.  I Do not have any artist friends or even a computer so I am kind of stuck with using google as my illustrator. 

4 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Yup, I think Ogors make a very strong approach for this and it opens up a MSU approach (multiple small units) that fwe other armies can pull off well.  

I've not had many games yet but my Underguts built around 8 units of two Leadbelchers is tearing up the tables and wiped out everyone I've faced. 

Latest version I ran was:

FLoSH, General (Mass of Scars, Gnoblar Blast Keg)

Fire Bell, Billowing Ash

3 Units of 3 Gluttons with Iron Fists

4 Iron Blasters

8 Units of 2 Leadbelchers

I've been double turned early in every game with basically every unit being a screen and Billowing Ash protecting the Frostlord and Ironblasters, it hasn't really mattered.  So may armies just struggle to take down that many units and with almost all of them having both Melee and Ranged threat it's very hard to play against. Help that you can easily screen out any teleportation as your Leadbelchers don't need to be close to each other to provide support, so you can screen out massive parts of the board without sacrificing much. 

Honestly I started Underguts as a more casual alternative to my Slaanesh, but they are turning out to be a power house.

This MSU style intrigues me. Right now I'm reading about the new Tzeentch Flamers, and how horrific their shooting power can be. Obscene firepower.

I feel like we could be in for a shooting meta. With changehost teleporting flamers and high-flying KO skyvessels popping up in our faces, maybe... just maybe, it's time to try Winterbite.

MSU by itself is a pretty good way to blunt massed shooting, but a -1 to hit on top of that doesn't hurt. Here's a dumb list I had in mind:

- Mawtribe: Winterbite

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Wintertouched
- Artefact: Frostfang
Firebelly (120)
- Lore of the Sun-Eater: Billowing Ash

Battleline
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 190

It's a 20 drop list, what do you think? 😂

Edited by Walrustaco
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

This MSU style intrigues me. Right now I'm reading about the new Tzeentch Flamers, and how horrific their shooting power can be. Obscene firepower.

I feel like we could be in for a shooting meta. With changehost teleporting flamers and high-flying KO skyvessels popping up in our faces, maybe... just maybe, it's time to try Winterbite.

MSU by itself is a pretty good way to blunt massed shooting, but a -1 to hit on top of that doesn't hurt. Here's a dumb list I had in mind:

- Mawtribe: Winterbite

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Wintertouched
- Artefact: Frostfang
Firebelly (120)

Battleline
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 190

It's a 20 drop list, what do you think? 😂

This is wonderful. Made my day. Only thing I would change would to be to fit in a slaughtermaster. Otherwise, it's amazing.

1 minute ago, MKsmash said:

This is wonderful. Made my day. Only thing I would change would to be to fit in a slaughtermaster. Otherwise, it's amazing.

Honestly the only reason I dont have one is because it didnt feel right to waste that Winterbite command trait, hence the hunter and cats.

I think 3s of gluttons are not where you want to be. If I were going full msu like that I'd be playing more leadbelchers and underguts or embracing the winterbite and going with yetis. 

I disagree with the above... I think a slaughtermaster isn't that valuable for msu. What is he going to buff? 3 gluttons? Not that impressive.

I would also rearrange the cats into a 6x and a 2x. Tiny unit to cheaply grab objectives and a slightly bigger one to use the trait and maybe command ability

Currently I have

Winterbite

FLOSH, ethereal amulet, black clatterhorn

Hunter, general, mandatory winterbite command trait and artifact

2x Frost sabres

6x Frost sabres

Skaal

12x gluttons

3x yetis

3xyetis

3x yetis

4x ironguts

2x mournefangs

20x gnoblars

Going to try to replace all the mournfangs and gluttons with leadbelchers once I get some. Gluttons have been underperforming for me, good only against targets that cant fight back and failing totally against armor. The mournefangs also haven't really done anything for me. I wouldn't mind another hunter either. The FLOSH has been excellent, tanking like a champ and wrecking units singlehandedly.

A Huskard on Thundertusk is of course a priest, but we have some arguments how he works, as I believe he works like Khorne slaughterpriests for example regarding the prayers he can do per turn. E.g in the hero phase a boulderhead huskard on thundertusk can use pulverizing hailstorm as the everwinter prayer, then he can also do 1 of the prayers stated in his Blizzard Speaker ability.

RAW I do not see anything to contradict this, as the allegiance abilities state they know 1 everwinter prayer and can cast 1 everwinter prayer per turn if they are a priest (also rule of 1). Blizzard speaker is an ability and not related to everwinter prayers at all, so as I see it this works entirely seperate from everwinter prayers, so he can also cast 1 of thoe as stated on the warscroll.

Is there anything I missed here which would cause him to choose between using an everwinter prayer and using his Blizzard speaker ability?

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

A Huskard on Thundertusk is of course a priest, but we have some arguments how he works, as I believe he works like Khorne slaughterpriests for example regarding the prayers he can do per turn. E.g in the hero phase a boulderhead huskard on thundertusk can use pulverizing hailstorm as the everwinter prayer, then he can also do 1 of the prayers stated in his Blizzard Speaker ability.

RAW I do not see anything to contradict this, as the allegiance abilities state they know 1 everwinter prayer and can cast 1 everwinter prayer per turn if they are a priest (also rule of 1). Blizzard speaker is an ability and not related to everwinter prayers at all, so as I see it this works entirely seperate from everwinter prayers, so he can also cast 1 of thoe as stated on the warscroll.

Is there anything I missed here which would cause him to choose between using an everwinter prayer and using his Blizzard speaker ability?

Exactly my understanding.

39 minutes ago, Sauriv said:

I'm building my first 12 gluttons, holy ******, so many special models. Do you guys build all banners (2 beast skull, 2 tribal banner in a unit of 12) ? The unit feels so cluttered with so many special models. 

In a desperate bid to survive the current meta, ogors find more and more junk to put on poles to inspire their fellow gluttons. 

Edit: Not a bad idea to maximize your banner options. A low-key challenge is keeping your unit ogranized in a way so that when you remove models you dont accidentally break cohesion. Having more banners is going to minimize the chance you are forced to remove a banner you dont want to. My two cents.

Edited by PensivePanther

2 hours ago, Sauriv said:

I'm building my first 12 gluttons, holy ******, so many special models. Do you guys build all banners (2 beast skull, 2 tribal banner in a unit of 12) ? The unit feels so cluttered with so many special models. 

Short answer is no, I have 2 units of 12 Gluttons, and each one has 1 banner and 1 skull, and 2 bellowers (just coz they were modelled like that originally).  But, if I was playing super-competitively, then yes, as @PensivePanther says, you are better off putting as many special models as you can in units, as you don’t lose anything by doing so, and there are sometimes situational advantages.

A version of the MSU list. Honestly these MSU lists are hilarious and might look nuts on the table.

- Mawtribe: Underguts

Butcher (140)
- General
- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
Firebelly (120)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)