AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Looking at this book I kind of hate how little synergy the two factions have with each other. BCR leaders seem to only buff BCR stuff. Paying 340-400 points and its buffs don't synergize well with mawtribes basic unit which doesn't have beastclaw raider tag lol. I think this is a completely mid-tier book because of this. 

49 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Looking at this book I kind of hate how little synergy the two factions have with each other. BCR leaders seem to only buff BCR stuff. Paying 340-400 points and its buffs don't synergize well with mawtribes basic unit which doesn't have beastclaw raider tag lol. I think this is a completely mid-tier book because of this. 

But they don’t even really buff their own BCR units that much......... re roll charge bubble or add damage to horns are meh CA

the big heroes are more loner face smash or sit back chucking out MW. The important part is that the buffs work the other way around slaughtermaster to big monsters.  The only thing your really missing out on is blizzard speaker being able to be used on guts and imho HoTT are just not that good in the new book (TT in general are pretty poor now).

Whether this book will be mid tier or not will not be decided by the fact BCR don’t buff guts. I do feel though that lists will tend to be heavy one force or another, mainly guts plus FLoSH / Skal or mainly BCR with some slaughtermaster and or gnoblars possibly 12 gluttons. I don’t think lists that are 50-50 will be as good this is also as the tribes have a guts / BCR focus. 

Keep the love up, I think this is a really good book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at what guts bring I can't bring myself to seeing people using BCR heavy armies. Likely a few key units. Honestly this is disappointing as a big BCR fan its like losing an army I love. Ah well as long as everyone else enjoys it. I just don't like the Guts style it feels a little too low fantasy for me. 

Edited by Barkanaut

I don't see much love for BCR, but I'm not sure why. I still think mournfangs look promising, although I'm just getting my army together, so don't have any real data to back this up.

I'm a little disappointed in our command abilities/buff abilities, especially on the BCR side. RR charges is nearly useless as its already a generic command ability. The Huskard prayers only go off on a 4+, and you can only do 1 per turn. Compare this to most others, where your average 'priest' can pray 2-3 times (hag queen, slaughterpriest). And this is on a 320 point model! I think the Huskard/Stonehorn has potential, but you'd have to build around it, likely with a single unit of 6-8 mournefangs, which is a bit expensive. Thundertusks also seem pretty useless, just not nearly enough ranged output for a 300 point model to justify it on that end. 

That being said, I think the Yeti's and frost sabres both have legs. More sneaky legs, but they definitely add something that you can't get on the ogors side, and requiring only their built-in support. I think a hunter general + frost sabres will be in a lot of lists to easily fix your battleline, and give you a deep strike threat, which the army otherwise lacks with a bunch of straight-up-the-middle ground pounders.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

I don't see much love for BCR, but I'm not sure why. I still think mournfangs look promising, although I'm just getting my army together, so don't have any real data to back this up.

I'm a little disappointed in our command abilities/buff abilities, especially on the BCR side. RR charges is nearly useless as its already a generic command ability. The Huskard prayers only go off on a 4+, and you can only do 1 per turn. Compare this to most others, where your average 'priest' can pray 2-3 times (hag queen, slaughterpriest). And this is on a 320 point model! I think the Huskard/Stonehorn has potential, but you'd have to build around it, likely with a single unit of 6-8 mournefangs, which is a bit expensive. Thundertusks also seem pretty useless, just not nearly enough ranged output for a 300 point model to justify it on that end. 

That being said, I think the Yeti's and frost sabres both have legs. More sneaky legs, but they definitely add something that you can't get on the ogors side, and requiring only their built-in support. I think a hunter general + frost sabres will be in a lot of lists to easily fix your battleline, and give you a deep strike threat, which the army otherwise lacks with a bunch of straight-up-the-middle ground pounders.

I’m pretty surprised, I think Boulderhead Mawtribe looks phenomenal. The 40k Equivalent of Dig Deep You Heels! completely shifted the Meta for years and I think people are really understating the advantage of how Might Makes Right applies to BCR; namely, that unlike Gutbusters, BCR monsters model count is always 10, regardless of how many wounds that unit has suffered, as opposed to losing models as they take damage. Especially since there’s no way to bring those models back unlike in most armies.

This may be a Grass is Always Greener thing for me though as I’ve only played Gutbusters and only recently at that.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Frowny said:

Also your Huskards on Thundertusks get 1 Blizzard Speaker prayer attempt(not globally limited to 1 per turn like the Everwinter prayers)and 1 prayer attempt for Everwinter prayers(pg 71); and they cumulatively buff each others’ Blizzard Speaker prayers, and three of the Mawtribes get a +1 buff to a specific Everwinter prayer.

So you can get your Blizzard Speaker prayers down to at least 2+(unsure of prayers autofail on 1s but if they don’t you can table failure out of possibility) and one of the Everwinter prayers down to 3+.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:19 AM, Jabbuk said:

Hi guys, I'm new to Mawtribes and am looking to start an army. I really love the new Tyrant model and overall I can appreciate the aesthetic of the army... The Butcher model though, has got to be the ugliest model I have ever seen and almost turned me off to buy the army altogether. I see in most lists that he's almost a must for most builds. I really like the Firebelly though. Can the firebelly substitute the Butcher in terms of build and synergy or I'm stuck with painting a horrible model? 

Also do any of you guys have really cool conversions or model from another universe we can use? Thanks for the help :)

You can convert any of the ogre models into a butcher. Lore wise Butchers abstain from using a gutplate, and that is pretty much the defining characteristic that makes them stand out from other models in the army. That being said, its pretty easy to just slap some greenstuff over the gutplate hole and tada, ogre butcher. You can probably use the butcher weapons even if you wanted. 

On 11/12/2019 at 4:55 AM, Sinfullyvannila said:

The Butcher goes on the same base as a Glutton and there are several extra butchery supply bits in the Glutton kit so you can make a pretty easy conversion.

It goes on the same base as a Tyrant, not a Glutton. Butchers, Tyrants and Maneaters all moved to 50mm, gluttons, leadbelchers and ironguts are all on 40mm. 

So had frist game ogors last night vs Cities of Sigmar (hallowheart).  Ended in a draw, but was a very fun game and learning experience. ironguts for the win, sole survivors and turned a close defeat into a draw.

Also  @Jabbuk

If it helps here is my unpainted and unfinished Slaughtermaster I made from mostly Glutton parts, Leadble herhead and gaint skull from the Skull set (not great photo)

20191111_190003.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, Aryann said:

I see that Ogors mostly come in old pre-AoS boxes (at least so they appear on GW site). Does it mean that they have square bases inside and I need to buy round bases seperately?

All of my ogres I purchased since release have come with rounds. Only one that came with squares was the slaughtermaster and it came with its square and oval base. 

On 11/9/2019 at 10:19 AM, Jabbuk said:

Hi guys, I'm new to Mawtribes and am looking to start an army. I really love the new Tyrant model and overall I can appreciate the aesthetic of the army... The Butcher model though, has got to be the ugliest model I have ever seen and almost turned me off to buy the army altogether. I see in most lists that he's almost a must for most builds. I really like the Firebelly though. Can the firebelly substitute the Butcher in terms of build and synergy or I'm stuck with painting a horrible model? 

Also do any of you guys have really cool conversions or model from another universe we can use? Thanks for the help :)

You can convert any of the ogre models into a butcher. Lore wise Butchers abstain from using a gutplate, and that is pretty much the defining characteristic that makes them stand out from other models in the army. That being said, its pretty easy to just slap some greenstuff over the gutplate hole and tada, ogre butcher. You can probably use the butcher weapons even if you wanted. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Thanks. Am I correct that Ogors come in old boxes? Not the "white ones"?

I think they send out Ironguts and Leadbelchers in those generic  white boxes with just the game logos on them, but the regular Ogors have a modern white box with a picture of the models.

Edit - like so:

67579721_10220285414548141_1047645083018461184_n.jpg

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Hebroseph said:

It goes on the same base as a Tyrant, not a Glutton. Butchers, Tyrants and Maneaters all moved to 50mm, gluttons, leadbelchers and ironguts are all on 40mm. 

Not that I don’t believe you guys, but is there official word on this? If you’re going off what you got in the box it could just as easily be a packaging error as anything else.

48 minutes ago, Wazzuli said:

@Beastmaster I feel like the Tyrant is worth his points just for Bully of the first degree, 1 cp to have a unit not take battleshock for the whole game for a few wounds is huge! I ran a unit of 9 gluttons (bc points) and they did fine too. 

I think the blowback is stemming from the Ogor models bravery being so high after the eating bonus now. Tyrant should definitely be useful with Gnoblars at the very least.

I haven’t actually used my Tyrant yet so I really couldn’t say one way or the other. I was running a Slaughtermaster and Butcher opposite spiderfang in the one match I played so I was in melee the whole time.

Don't know about official word yet but those of us in the Mawtribes Facebook groups who've bought Butchers lately received 50mm round bases (including me!), and here's a Butcher rebased to 50mm by GW - don't know if they plan to update their base guide or not but I intend to use the 50mm base they supplied with the model:

75407758_2489686481079513_8381010426191675392_n.jpg

70813798_2489686261079535_824596964501880832_o.jpg

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 1

Just now, Gareth 🍄 said:

Don't know about official word yet but those of us in the Mawtribes Facebook groups who've bought Butchers lately received 50mm round bases (including me!), and here's a Butcher rebased to 50mm by GW - don't know if they plan to update their guide or not but I intend to use the base they supplied with the model:

75407758_2489686481079513_8381010426191675392_n.jpg

Yeah I looked at that picture too but it seemed like it could have been a perspective issue at the time. The feet would be hanging over on a 40mil base though. So I think you’re right. Hopefully they update it soon.

5 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Also your Huskards on Thundertusks get 1 Blizzard Speaker prayer attempt(not globally limited to 1 per turn like the Everwinter prayers)and 1 prayer attempt for Everwinter prayers(pg 71); and they cumulatively buff each others’ Blizzard Speaker prayers, and three of the Mawtribes get a +1 buff to a specific Everwinter prayer.

So you can get your Blizzard Speaker prayers down to at least 2+(unsure of prayers autofail on 1s but if they don’t you can table failure out of possibility) and one of the Everwinter prayers down to 3+.

I hadn't seen that bit.

Still does not make me want to play thundertusks. 320 points is just far too much for 2 prayers and their terrible snowball. I guess I'm more frustrated with the low base output of the warscroll though. It does too little damage against almost every target for a 300 point model. For 300 points in any other army, you could be getting 4 prayers or even 6 prayers that go off on 3's or so, not 2 prayers, and occasionally they'd come with other with other useful buffing features.  Looking at a fyreslayers runesmiter (Who is really very similar) for only 240 points makes me sad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1