AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

3 hours ago, FatherTurin said:

So here’s a question.  Abilities that involve striking first or making someone strike last usually have some extra language about how those abilities interact with each other.

Alvagr Ancient (the Thundertusk trait) does not.  So does that turn off Slaanesh’s always attacking first?  Since it doesn’t work when the Thundertusk charges it would require some work (either surviving a turn or getting charged), but a Huskard on Thundertusk with some Yhetees could be a very interesting obstacle for Slaanesh.

I assume youre referring to slaanesh's locus of diversion which makes an enemy unit fight last right? If thats what youre talking about, then both units fight at the end of the combat phase, and when fighting at the end of the combat phase the player whose turn it is fights with everything they have that is fighting at the end of phase and then the other player fights with everything they have that is fighting at the end of phase rather than taking turns like in the regular part of the combat phase. So if a keeper of secrets charges your thundertusk with Alvagr Ancient and both of them make the other fight last, the keeper will still fight before the thundertusk because it's the slaanesh player's turn, but another unit within 3" in the mawtribes army that is not fighting at the end of the combat phase could pile in and attack the keeper first. 

However when 2 abilities affect the same unit which cause the unit to fight at the beginning of the phase and fight at the end of the phase they cancel out. Thats a different situation than the locus of diversion though. Both of these answers are in the slaanesh faq if you want exact wording or to check my interpretation.

Edited by ccconner777
  • Like 2

How do you guys deal with BCR Lists and Magic?

I really dislike playing without any sort of magical defense as it always seems to end in a disaster, having like al heroes nuked and a -1 to hit or wound modifier everywhere. Yet beside a single one use artifact I don´t see any magical defenses in the whole BCR section. Can we get along without? Or is a footslogging Butcher and necessery pick?

Hello there.

I always wanted to do an Ogor army and with feast of bones (need to get rid of Bonereapers) and some other purchases. Im really enjoying making them and they look really fuin to play. Coming form Slannesh and Stromcast/DOK it be fun to run smaller numebrs lots of wounds.

I would like some advice though

1) Any good ideas what I can use to help make a Sluaghtermaster conversion? I don't wanna make that resin model looks far too fragile. And I'm tyring to find a nice Claudron or somthing I could use with a converted Glutton model.  Was maybe thinking the Gloomspite spell one, maybe even get Butcher seme spider grot attendants (say buitcher ate their gaint spider now grots follow them)

2) Rules question making a big unit of Gluttoins do I give them the Ironfists or double wepaons? With Bonerepaers out looks like in my are atheir gonna be alot good-save armies. So maybe mortal wounds are useful.

40 minutes ago, BionicRope64 said:

Hello there.

I always wanted to do an Ogor army and with feast of bones (need to get rid of Bonereapers) and some other purchases. Im really enjoying making them and they look really fuin to play. Coming form Slannesh and Stromcast/DOK it be fun to run smaller numebrs lots of wounds.

1) Any good ideas what I can use to help make a Sluaghtermaster conversion? I don't wanna make that resin model looks far too fragile. And I'm tyring to find a nice Claudron or somthing I could use with a converted Glutton model.  Was maybe thinking the Gloomspite spell one, maybe even get Butcher seme spider grot attendants (say buitcher ate their gaint spider now grots follow them)

2) Rules question making a big unit of Gluttoins do I give them the Ironfists or double wepaons? With Bonerepaers out looks like in my are atheir gonna be alot good-save armies. So maybe mortal wounds are useful.

Can’t speak to the cauldron question, I’m looking for a good one too, and I think getting a second great mawpot may be the way to go, but it may be a little big.

As for Gluttons, I’m going with double weapons.  Mortal wounds are good, but getting them with ironfists requires the enemy to hit, then wound, then you need to roll a 6 on your saves.  Meanwhile, if you charge a big block of 12 gluttons into an enemy, you are doing some mortals on the charge, then with the exploding sixes you are doing an average of 30 or so hits (more if you get the hit buff from a slaughtermaster), which averages 20 wounds.  Even without rend, on a 4+ save that’s an average of 10 failed saves for 20 damage.

The idea is, you want the target dead before it can even swing back at you.  Also, inflicting mortal wounds is not something Ogors really struggle to do with the right units, so the off chance and bouncing something back with ironfists isn’t worth trading the exploding sixes.

I would take ironfists on mournfangs, though.  In that case it has little to do with the mortal wounds and everything to do with 3 attacks hitting on 3s being better than 2 attacks hitting on 4s, rend or not.

• Like 1

Hello guys.

Got my feast of bones and really happy with the models I got. 

I wanted to do a Ogor army (2000) from the feast of bones set, but I dont know in what direction do I go. The models from the box are all Gutbusters, so I dont know if I should just stick with that or try out something more with the Beastclaw Raiders (dont know how much they updated theire rules but I know they were quite bad). Thank you for any tips in advance. 

1 hour ago, BionicRope64 said:

Hello there.

Use cauldron of blood, cauldron from dok, place the catapults circular part under thr cauldron to make it bit more ogorlike.

1 hour ago, FatherTurin said:

I cut a ping pong ball in half and turned the top upside down inside, then you add a bunch of spiky bits and things to the outside. Use green stuff to make the soup.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maridius said:

Hello guys.

I wanted to do a Ogor army (2000) from the feast of bones set, but I dont know in what direction do I go. The models from the box are all Gutbusters, so I dont know if I should just stick with that or try out something more with the Beastclaw Raiders (dont know how much they updated theire rules but I know they were quite bad). Thank you for any tips in advance. 

For now, I would go with Gutbusters, as you already have some and I believe that things work better when you have all BCR or all Gutbusters. However, it ultimately depends on what you like more! Go with what looks cool to you!

2 hours ago, BionicRope64 said:

Hello there.

WHAAAAAT you quit Slaanesh to play Mawtribes????? Okaaaaay.....

1) Can't help you there, I'm not a crafty type.

2)In smaller units, there's not enough guaranteed damage, so you'll want to go with the Ironfists. However, you'll ALWAYS want to go for a unit of 12 with Gluttons, and in that case you'll want to go with the double clubs for max damage potential.

Not sure how effective this could be but might be fun.

Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
Butcher (140)
Butcher (140)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 147

• Like 1

@chyortskazal double smart 😂 great conversion but the name is the cherry on the cake. Brilliant. 

12 hours ago, FatherTurin said:

Can’t speak to the cauldron question, I’m looking for a good one too, and I think getting a second great mawpot may be the way to go, but it may be a little big

At @BionicRope64, I’ll send a picture in about an hour of the mawpot on the slaughtermaster base. I reckon it’s going to be too big. I also am converting my own but if your worried about the resin model breaking I don’t think you have to worry. So far all my resin models have been annoying to work with but not really weak points. It helps the ogors are chunkyer as welll. 

edit: cant find my 105mm base. This is the 120mm base on which is it already quite big  

B732E623-BF54-4D39-8381-67FF54E07813.jpeg.8d6b9f8fa5beccaaaf29da1b3e574263.jpeg

11 hours ago, Maridius said:

Hello guys.

Id say get the book first while you paint up feast of bones. I think it will depend on your playstyle. But the Beastclaw start collecting kit is good value. A frostwork on stonehorn is actually quite good. It also is 680 points + 600 pts from the feast of bones set. Add a butcher and a command point to that and you have a fun 1,5K army list. That would be my advice. Gets you playing the fastest and in such a way that you can try both halves of the army to see what you like. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi guys, I'm new to Mawtribes and am looking to start an army. I really love the new Tyrant model and overall I can appreciate the aesthetic of the army... The Butcher model though, has got to be the ugliest model I have ever seen and almost turned me off to buy the army altogether. I see in most lists that he's almost a must for most builds. I really like the Firebelly though. Can the firebelly substitute the Butcher in terms of build and synergy or I'm stuck with painting a horrible model? 

Also do any of you guys have really cool conversions or model from another universe we can use? Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Jabbuk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Hi guys, I'm new to Mawtribes and am looking to start an army. I really love the new Tyrant model and overall I can appreciate the aesthetic of the army... The Butcher model though, has got to be the ugliest model I have ever seen and almost turned me off to buy the army altogether. I see in most lists that he's almost a must for most builds. I really like the Firebelly though. Can the firebelly substitute the Butcher in terms of build and synergy or I'm stuck with painting a horrible model? 

Also do any of you guys have really cool conversions or model from another universe we can use? Thanks for the help :)

The butcher is  tragedy of a model, yes, wasn't even good when it was new.  And as you note you do want at least one (or a Slaughtermaster, which is also not the world's greatest model) in most lists.  The butcher has access to some of the more powerful spells in Mawtribes, and some decent artefacts, and I think is as close to a 'must take' as the book presents.  The firebelly also has strong spells, but no unique artefacts or command traits, so whilst you could use only Firebellies as your wizards in a list it would be a little less versatile than with butchers.

Fortunately a butcher is basically just an ugly ogor with a bunch of meaty gubbins, and the plastic ogor kits all contain a wealth of options suitable for pretty easy conversions.  You could use the haft of the standard bearer to make a grisly wizard's staff, and a bit of green stuff goes a long way in making a rough apron or adding some extra mass to a base ogor body, and the kits contain a whole bunch of extra heads, cleavers and accessories that make it pretty simple to cook up a decent looking butcher of your own.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

As it is a model with rules in the same faction so substituting the model I wouldn’t think so. 
Rules wise the butcher spells are really good. So the firebelly has some options but not the really nice Ribcracker which compensates for the lack of rend on gluttons. He does have a minus 1 to hit spell though. Which you could argue is better. 
what is the problem with the model? I find the heads... not the best. But that is an easy swap. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kramer said:

what is the problem with the model? I find the heads... not the best. But that is an easy swap. 

To me I think it's the head, yeah. I think the slaughtermaster is the one with the terrible face. He just looks derpy, and the fact he has no hands, to me makes no sense. I'd probably like to put something with a cowl or a helmet on him. Any advice? I don't know all the helmet and hoods the models have yet, as I have only seen the images on GW website.

Edited by Jabbuk

I haven't got a photo yet but if it helps. @Jabbuk I used one of the big skulls form the citidal skull set (one the gaint human skulls) as a mask and it left only the mouth exposed (use the no facial hair leadblecher head). Use that on a glutton body with cleaver from the Mourfangriders (the weapon the leader has) and used greenstuff to make a apron, that atcually turned into lots of green stuff for like skins/furs skirt look.

15 minutes ago, BionicRope64 said:

I haven't got a photo yet but if it helps. @Jabbuk I used one of the big skulls form the citidal skull set (one the gaint human skulls) as a mask and it left only the mouth exposed (use the no facial hair leadblecher head). Use that on a glutton body with cleaver from the Mourfangriders (the weapon the leader has) and used greenstuff to make a apron, that atcually turned into lots of green stuff for like skins/furs skirt look.

Sounds badass, man. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have another question regarding the assembly of Gluttons that I hope you guys can help with.  In the sprues for 6 gluttons, and on the picture on GW website, we see 2 Gnoblars. That being said, on the warscrolls, the only mention there is about these guys is the guy in the banner, the Lookout dude. 

What are these guys for and what are their stats, etc? Do we build 2 foot Gnoblars per 6 Gluttons? If someone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it.

46 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

So how do Ogre Mawtribes stack up power level to other armies? Also any big changes to the Beastclaw Raiders if I want to run them mono? 

It's still early to say I think but there's a batrep on Doom & Darkness channel where he takes on a good Ironjawz Ironsunz list and he obliterates them. I'm an Ironjawz player and I was like.. wait what? The sheer number of wounds on the field is massive. I think melee armies will have a tough time against them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

I have a question about something that I simply do not understand, specifically your 3rd sentence (as I've seen this before).  

"The Butcher model though, has got to be the ugliest model I have ever seen and almost turned me off to buy the army altogether."

I mean no offense @Jabbuk, but an ugly model turning off from buying an army? C'mon now.

I can get disliking a model, even HATING it, but stopping you from starting an army is just silly. 

If someone could explain to me all the all-out despise at the Butcher (and yhetees, for that), it would be much appreciated.