AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

18 minutes ago, Eevika said:

40x Plague monks with Sword and Staff. Glottkin +1 attack, Plague furnace +1 attack, Charge +1 attack, Blades of Putrifaction mortals on 6+ to hit and then we finish off with full rerolls to hits with a Verminlord Corruptor. Thats 360 attacks and you just reroll all hit rolls that are not a 6. You avarage at 110 mortals according to my calculations. 

Oh that’s cool. But that’s also 1.100 pts according to my calculations. So for those point i could screen with 12 bulls, which do get destroyed by the 110 MW. But I still have 700 points left to invest in the counter charge. Or better yet. Two units of 40 gnoblars so you can also Double screen in case of a double turn. 

its such a Death Star unit (with good fighting support units I grand you) that it becomes a game of positioning. Getting everything in range, screening, who gets the charge.  If you do get the charge 12 bulls will decimate the unit. And subsequently be destroyed by the on death attacks but I feel the Skaven player will have lost the most. 

but it’s true we don’t have a Death Star build as far as I can see. It’s all much more self contained. Don’t knwo how that’ll play out. Personally I do like that more, but I understand that might be needed for top 1 spot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Oh that’s cool. But that’s also 1.100 pts according to my calculations. So for those point i could screen with 12 bulls, which do get destroyed by the 110 MW. But I still have 700 points left to invest in the counter charge. Or better yet. Two units of 40 gnoblars so you can also Double screen in case of a double turn. 

its such a Death Star unit (with good fighting support units I grand you) that it becomes a game of positioning. Getting everything in range, screening, who gets the charge.  If you do get the charge 12 bulls will decimate the unit. And subsequently be destroyed by the on death attacks but I feel the Skaven player will have lost the most. 

but it’s true we don’t have a Death Star build as far as I can see. It’s all much more self contained. Don’t knwo how that’ll play out. Personally I do like that more, but I understand that might be needed for top 1 spot. 

Its definitely a one trick list but thats why you have 2x40 monks to play around with and use the rest of the remaining points on screens to make sure your rats dont die fast. 

But back on topic with the mawtribes it definitely seems to lack a clear combo. You have to walk a butcher with your Gluttons but then the Butcher is a super easy target with only 7 wounds and a 5+ save. Im probably going for a fluffy list with Ogors so not too stressed about that. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 6:09 PM, Mutton said:

You almost have to wonder if that's what was originally intended. As it is, it's possibly the worst 'benefit' I've ever seen for one of these sub-factions. Hell, Kraith for DoK is better than Meatfist...and Kraith is a joke.

Real power in Meatfist is not the charge bonus but spamming gluttons in general. The additional die may not be a lot but still does its job. Meanwhile, the command ability that grants another Gulping Bite Attack together with the Slaughtermaster Spell seems like to be the main combo behind meatfist. This gets 2 Attacks per Ogor that does MW´s and Heals on a 6 to wound, in additional to their overall good damage output.

If this is really worth it, is another question. But I totally see a fluffy list which uses 2-3 maxed Gluttons Squads, eqch having a Slaughtermaster in the back to buff them in some sort.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Slaanesh says hello.

This is why they're top dogs at mo.

Yup. 

42 minutes ago, Charleston said:

f this is really worth it, is another question. But I totally see a fluffy list which uses 2-3 maxed Gluttons Squads, eqch having a Slaughtermaster in the back to buff them in some sort

I think two slaughtermaster battalions with a full unit of ironguts/gluttons. Take 2x2 leadbelchers as tax, Two chances of +1 to hit, two casters, two drop. Ticks a lot of boxes. Haven’t done the math but should be doable right? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Yup. 

I think two slaughtermaster battalions with a full unit of ironguts/gluttons. Take 2x2 leadbelchers as tax, Two chances of +1 to hit, two casters, two drop. Ticks a lot of boxes. Haven’t done the math but should be doable right? 

1960 for two sets of Goremond, Slaughtermaster,  12 Gluttons, 4 Ironguts & 2 Leadbelchers. You waste 1 artefact sadly

Edited by HostilSpike

9 hours ago, Entombet said:

I just wonder why some ppl think that 12 model 48 wounds unit will be hard to shift?, Its nothing that witch elves, plague monks and many more units cant handle in one turn of combat

I run two units of 24 squig herd in my Gloomspite which are 48 wounds at a 6+ save. Its been surprisingly durable and useful. Its not unkillable by any stretch but I've never lost them in one turn of combat and they usually hold out for a couple of battlerounds. On the MawTribes front I think they will be useful as an all rounder unit though I suspect gnoblar screens will be mandatory in any list aiming for top tables (also, there's the leadbelchers vs Gluttons debate, Gluttons win atm for me due to $$) to protect against the worst, like fully buffed up units of the above. I've just found facing such units with all their buffs up to be much rarer than the internet makes it out to be, even in tournaments.

On a side note, I'm tempted to try going Tribeless so I can run a Butcher with Questionable Hygiene wedged between a screen of Gluttons and a counter charging unit of Ironguts.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I run two units of 24 squig herd in my Gloomspite which are 48 wounds at a 6+ save. Its been surprisingly durable and useful. Its not unkillable by any stretch but I've never lost them in one turn of combat and they usually hold out for a couple of battlerounds. On the MawTribes front I think they will be useful as an all rounder unit though I suspect gnoblar screens will be mandatory in any list aiming for top tables (also, there's the leadbelchers vs Gluttons debate, Gluttons win atm for me due to $$) to protect against the worst, like fully buffed up units of the above. I've just found facing such units with all their buffs up to be much rarer than the internet makes it out to be, even in tournaments.

On a side note, I'm tempted to try going Tribeless so I can run a Butcher with Questionable Hygiene wedged between a screen of Gluttons and a counter charging unit of Ironguts.

Agreed I used to run allied gnoblars in old BCR as you need screens. 

on tribeless I think at lower points games it’s worth it to try but at normal 2K the tribes just give such a boost it’s hard to do it based on command trait and artifact which can get sniped off the board (outside tyrant guard tyrant). 

43 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

Agreed I used to run allied gnoblars in old BCR as you need screens. 

on tribeless I think at lower points games it’s worth it to try but at normal 2K the tribes just give such a boost it’s hard to do it based on command trait and artifact which can get sniped off the board (outside tyrant guard tyrant). 

Which isn’t a bad battalion though. Super easy to fill.  

Also with you both on screens. Still not sure on 20 vs 40 squads though. Do you guys/girls have a preference? 60 is to unwieldy for me. 

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Which isn’t a bad battalion though. Super easy to fill.  

Also with you both on screens. Still not sure on 20 vs 40 squads though. Do you guys/girls have a preference? 60 is to unwieldy for me. 

For me I just run 20s normally one squad but I also think I’m the biggest advocate for Skal in the world so I normally have around 5 x 2 cat units running around plus a bigger one for backfield threats. 

I would think 40 isn’t worth it as a lot of units could either A) blow through 40 as easily as 20 B) force you to use CP on IP C) be too big to move out the way when you want to open up a charge lane especially as nothing flies. However I don’t like talking in absolutes so I’m sure there’s a list / style where 40 or 60 is preferable. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

On a different idea train I’m surprised no one seems to be talking about Eurlbad as it got cheaper and a lot better (MW on to hit roll now). Something like below, and boulderhead gives the heroes so much in terms of a quality second artifact and always fight at top bracket with CP, plus the extra wound.

I had the same list p15 without any interest...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kurkulem said:

I had the same list p15 without any interest...

Must have missed it sometimes the pages fly by too quickly. I think in general with the new book people are more into the guts side over the BCR side bar a FLoSH with ethereal. 

I do think a list like this could do some good work though as I have around 5k with the armies joined together I’m trying out a lot of different combinations. 

So far I have the following lists to play 

generic mixed list

magic heavy 

4 ironblaster 

eurlbad 

multiple FLoSH (if you want to be silly can do 3 with double small Skal so they all get artifacts and plenty of CP)

EDIT

went and liked your page 15 list although gotta have the ethereal on the FL :) 

Edited by Reuben Parker
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

On a different idea train I’m surprised no one seems to be talking about Eurlbad as it got cheaper and a lot better (MW on to hit roll now). Something like below, and boulderhead gives the heroes so much in terms of a quality second artifact and always fight at top bracket with CP, plus the extra wound.

32354734-FFDE-4C27-9CFF-590EB0F5121B.png

Just wondering, if you are going for the mortals, wouldn’t an MSU style list work better?  4 units of 2 Mournfangs with Clubs gives you 4 pistol shots, then more attacks to fish for 6’s with (3 attacks per rider instead of 2 with the hackers).  Being able to spread them out more offsets the shorter range of the clubs.

Also, are the Gnoblars just there to camp an objective, to screen the slaughtermaster, or what?  Just trying to get a feel for the list.

4 minutes ago, Forrix said:

So not tactics related but wtf is up with Leadbelchers going for $24 (for 2) on ebay? I was hoping to get pick up some cheap ones due to Feast of Bones but MSRP is 4 for $40.

Probably just supply and demand.  They are a good unit with the new book, they are out of stock online, and Feast of Bones sold out as well, so they aren’t super easy to come by. 

Also, people just jack up prices to be jerks.  Look at people selling the old Ogre Kingdoms battalion for $200, and buying the units on their own only costs $145.

1 minute ago, FatherTurin said:

Just wondering, if you are going for the mortals, wouldn’t an MSU style list work better?  4 units of 2 Mournfangs with Clubs gives you 4 pistol shots, then more attacks to fish for 6’s with (3 attacks per rider instead of 2 with the hackers).  Being able to spread them out more offsets the shorter range of the clubs.

Also, are the Gnoblars just there to camp an objective, to screen the slaughtermaster, or what?  Just trying to get a feel for the list.

Mournfang numbers indeed could be played with. 4x2 as you say gives more MW and shots and more skirmish potential. Or 6&2 if you want another hammer unit that also takes the huskard buff well. I wasn’t dead set on the configuration of mournfang. 

Gnoblars and the cats are just screens / zoning and objectives. It really depends on mission and matchup vs a shooting list you want them near the slaughtermaster for LoS. Against people running deep strike they may just be strung out along the backfield to zone it out. Vs melee armies probably strung out along the front to try to setup favourable charge timings for the Stonehorns behind. 

I did think of using the 140 for another slaughtermaster but I think any and all lists need the utility some cheap bodies provide. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

I have talked about a list based on Eurlabd+Boulderhead a couple of pages ago. My list has 2 FLoSH (1 with Ethereal Amulet) +2 Stonehorns battleline and 2x2 Mourfangs. Little but with insane damage output.

5 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

I have talked about a list based on Eurlabd+Boulderhead a couple of pages ago. My list has 2 FLoSH (1 with Ethereal Amulet) +2 Stonehorns battleline and 2x2 Mourfangs. Little but with insane damage output.

Do you mean Huskard in place of the second FL? Otherwise I don’t see how the points work. I have thought about multiple beastriders in the Eurlbad but more mournfang won out due to volume of attacks to trigger more MW from the battalion.

also not sure if I was being blind but I couldn’t see a blurb in the book saying when our behemoths are battleline do they no longer count against the behemoth limit(same way as FEC)?

Something like this @Reuben Parker

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

• Like 1

I like the idea of big beasts and cavalry. But I honestly think  that in this objective game, it'd be to challenging in most battles. You have very few mminiatures (yes I know the count as 2/10) and no wizzards. Your list building limitation comes from the bataillon.  I'd think to get rid of something to include a slaughter master maybe...

24 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I like the idea of big beasts and cavalry. But I honestly think  that in this objective game, it'd be to challenging in most battles. You have very few mminiatures (yes I know the count as 2/10) and no wizzards. Your list building limitation comes from the bataillon.  I'd think to get rid of something to include a slaughter master maybe...

I think so as well, it will be challenging  but I had the miniwargaming game on while painting this morning. And, no they are not playing very competitively, but I still was super suprised with what the charging damage of the monsters is. It genuinely was so much more impressive than I thought. Especially as it isn’t hurt by bracketing. 
so maybe a mixed list might be better than I initially expected. Yeah a slaughtermaster.... 🤔

So here’s a question.  Abilities that involve striking first or making someone strike last usually have some extra language about how those abilities interact with each other.

Alvagr Ancient (the Thundertusk trait) does not.  So does that turn off Slaanesh’s always attacking first?  Since it doesn’t work when the Thundertusk charges it would require some work (either surviving a turn or getting charged), but a Huskard on Thundertusk with some Yhetees could be a very interesting obstacle for Slaanesh.