AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

I feel this is the only real list that can reliably take down slaanesh.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Underguts
LEADERS
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Command Trait : Mass of Scars
- Artefact : Gruesome Trophy Rack

Slaughtermaster (140)
- Artefact : Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Lore of Gutmagic : Greasy Deluge

UNITS
40 x Gnoblars (200)
10 x Leadbelchers (400)
10 x Leadbelchers (400)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
4 x Ironguts (220)

BATTALIONS
Tyrant's Gutguard (120)

You can tinker with how many Ironblasters you want. But fewer than 3 and you won't one shot a keeper.

Edited by Pitloze
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

You can tinker with how many Ironblasters you want. But fewer than 3 and you won't one shot a keeper.

Even 4 Ironblasters under CA + trophy rack are not guarantee to kill a keeper within a turn, but you have many others MW sources to finish it anyway 

On 11/5/2019 at 10:33 AM, HollowHills said:

Anyone else watch The Honest Wargamer review of the Ogor Mawtribes battletome? 

I was a bit underwhelmed by the battletome but feel even worse about it now. Doesn't seem like there is anything in the army that is going to allow them to be competitive in the current environment. 

I also read through the ossiarch Bonereapers battletome and it's mad to see the difference in rules. 

Im used to this. Having a ton of Gitz and seeing the Skaven and FeC releases that came right after that book 

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

An update to my monster mash BCR list. Mammoths were the reason I started BCR years ago, and now I see them really good. I love the Stone skeleton rule more than it was before. I expect to test this against a heavy shooting KO list asap.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

HEROES

Icebrow Hunter (120) - General - Command Trait : Winter Ranger  
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
UNITS
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
3 x Gorgers (240)
3 x Gorgers (240)
2 x Gorgers (160)
BATTALIONS
Skal (100)
TOTAL: 1980/2000

Start the game; everyone is in deepstrike. Farm command points while your opponent worries about worthless garbage like "objectives" and "victory points". Turn 2, you stay in deepstrike; remember, Slaanesh can't farm depravity if Slaanesh can't find you. Turn 3, you stay in deepstrike; your opponent can't kill any of your models if they don't even know where they are. Turn 4, you stay in deepstrike; you can't lose an objective if you never had it in the first place. Turn 5, you stay in deepstrike. Your general? In deepstrike. Your heroes? In deepstrike. 100% of your units? In deepstrike. At this point, you should have around a dozen command points, if not more; you will not spend them, because you will stay in deepstrike. You do not leave deepstrike.  MFin gorgers, baby.

But seriously, did you play this list? It actually looks like it could be quite powerful. Well Maybe not the Butchers. But at least one big block of Dogs and a hunter and a CP farm artifact and/or trait. You could do a TON of attacks applied surgically on T2 and still bank yet another CP to strike first on their turn if needed. Something like this although understandably a little less all-in

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

The 4 ironblaster, +1 to hit and double shots combo has 42% to do 14 or more wounds to a 4+ save. That’s without protective saves from artefacts. 
84E32E44-3B8A-4459-9797-94C74720F870.jpeg.2c446115c2003cfa9086f133ac2094dc.jpeg

Which is very good when you add in that natively they average around 5MW combined on the charge and with the spell up it’s 14MW. 

Then a keeper could only locus one of them so if it only has a wound or two left a non locus one can just pop it. 

their shooting is actually not massively worse than 9 long strikes double tapping in hammers of sigmar. While having twice the wound count and the charge MW and melee output. 

When I first saw them I thought they were still garbage. However when fully buffed I think they can be the core of a legitimate list and gives melee ogres a ranged threat which will force other melee armies into potentially bad positions. 

• Like 1

After the Doom&Darkness and Honest Wargamer reviews I came up with this defensive style list. I'm hoping it's enough to secure multiple objectives and win on scenarios. Is it enough?

Bouldergut Mawtribe - Shyish

General: Butcher - Cleaver, Greasy Deluge, Lord of Beasts

Stay behind the lads, debuff the scary stuff, help the Frostlord Turn 1 with the mandatory Command Trait

Frostlord on Stonehorn - Ethereal Amulet relic, Black Clatterhorn mount trait

Big poppa double duty as anvil and hammer, not the General so not worried about losing him. Can dominate a flank or support the push in the midfield.

Huskard on Thundertusk - Blood Vulture, Brand of Svard relic, Alvgar Ancient mount trait, Pulverizing Hailstorm

Will support the Ironguts with his Fight Last bubble. Sit them on an objective and dare the opponent to get near. Supporting the battlefield with MWs - Hailstorm going off on 3+ helps a lot there. Brand of Svard dumps here with nowhere else to go, might help a little.

Battleline:

Ironguts x4

Huskard Guard. Win the game by killing anything that comes close to the objective. Weak to getting shot.

Leadbelchers 6x2 (or 4x3?)

Gluttons but with shooting 👌

Gnoblars x40

I wish I could fit a Tyrant in here for that morale immunity but oh well. Screen and/or hold another objective down with a...

Scraplauncher 

Junkmob Battalion

Second cheapest Battalion (which I need) behind Skal but these pesky gits can hold down an objective and still contribute with shooting. 

2,000 on the nose. It isn't meta-dominating but to me it has the tools to win more games than lose. What do you think?

16 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

Which is very good when you add in that natively they average around 5MW combined on the charge and with the spell up it’s 14MW. 

Then a keeper could only locus one of them so if it only has a wound or two left a non locus one can just pop it. 

their shooting is actually not massively worse than 9 long strikes double tapping in hammers of sigmar. While having twice the wound count and the charge MW and melee output. 

When I first saw them I thought they were still garbage. However when fully buffed I think they can be the core of a legitimate list and gives melee ogres a ranged threat which will force other melee armies into potentially bad positions. 

I would call it worse. No deepstriking, no mortal wounds In shooting. But that’s besides the point. Yes also believe it’s worth trying out. And the overal investment isn’t that bad. The choice for me would be do I take those or 8 ironguts? Tyrant is there to ****** slap things anyway so him having to stay back isn’t that bad. You could even bring a firebelly with cloud of ash for protection against shooting. 

thinking about it. The only other play we have against big strike first things is yhetees. Does require good movement and it won’t kill much in the first round. 
Six yhetees will do around 8ish wounds.  But the 6” pile in will be kry

Edited by Kramer

2 hours ago, Frowny said:

But seriously, did you play this list? It actually looks like it could be quite powerful. Well Maybe not the Butchers. But at least one big block of Dogs and a hunter and a CP farm artifact and/or trait. You could do a TON of attacks applied surgically on T2 and still bank yet another CP to strike first on their turn if needed. Something like this although understandably a little less all-in

Even fully buffed, 10 sabers and a hunter do around 12ish wounds per round, the damage calculator says. With a very wide variation, so not very reliable. For  320 points. 

Ok, they can pick and attack vulnerable units. But  I am still not sure they are worth it. Built them anyway. 😄

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

Even fully buffed, 10 sabers and a hunter do around 12ish wounds per round, the damage calculator says. With a very wide variation, so not very reliable. For  320 points. 

Ok, they can pick and attack vulnerable units. But  I am still not sure they are worth it. Built them anyway. 😄

The command ability can be spammed though to add extra attacks if you u have the spare CP. not a super threat but they can handle backfield smaller units.  

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

No that’s too unreliable, especially as you want impact hits vs Slaanesh to with a bit of luck bracket them before combat. 

on a completely different note. Does anybody have a good/cheap 40mm base source? 

Wargamebaseworld.com. shipping takes 2-3 weeks to the US but super cheap and has a good selection including stuff like magnets and sprue cutters. I just put in an order every now and then to keep the most common bases on hand so i dont have to wait.

• Thanks 2

Been building a lot of lists. BCR hasn't changed much tbh. They are not as bad as people make them out to be. But some armies can deal with them and some armies simply can't. BCR are  decent at taking (back) objectives now. You probably want to give 1st turn away more often than before. Because as a whole BCR got a lot slower. I actually think the mawpot heal does more for BCR than it does for Gutbusters, maybe even gamechangingly so. Don't try and push everything in at once, since stonehorns lost run&charge it won't happen. But even in waves they can do a lot of damage. One wave of 4mournfang + Huskard on stonehorn that spends an CP can get really swingy. You have to bring one wizard to use the pot. And molten entrails can be insane if you get it off at the right time. Maybe thermal rider cloak is better than amulet now just to get that crazy assault in. But probably not.

However, I'm actually a bit scared that Underguts might be the only legit competitive option we have. Ironguts, Gluttons, Frostlord on Stonehorn and Yeti's are good units. But in the current meta they might suffer since they can't apply their damage in a direct way. Either chaff gets in the way or we have to fight last. Gnoblars are also a must but I don't consider them "good". Any chaff that comes along just to to die and doesn't provide anything besides that (like bloodreavers giving blood tithe points) is just lame. Yet they do make the Tyrant useful, and 40/60 wounds is beefy enough.

I don't really want to buy 20 leadbelchers though. I think Underguts might do okay with 10 leadbelchers and 12 gluttons. But 3/4 Ironblasters + trophy rack is a must (and luckily Ironblasters are actually affordable points and $$$ wise). What makes Underguts so great is that along with all that shooting you still get a decent melee profile and ability to hold and take objectives.

• Like 1

So I've played BCR for awhile, but the new release has me looking to expand into more Ogors. I'm really intrigued by some of the gun line options available now, and would love feedback on what I'm looking to build up to!

- Mortal Realm: Shyish
LEADERS
Tyrant (160)
- General
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic : Blubbergrub Stench
Frostlord on Thundertusk (390)
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait : Alvagr Ancient
UNITS
4 x Ironguts (220)
6 x Leadbelchers (240)

6 x Leadbelchers (240)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

BATTALIONS

Tyrant's Gutguard (120)

It feels like a lot of drops, but going second is what I prefer 90% of the time, anyway.  I'm hoping that the Frostlord on Thundertusk can work as a front line that no one wants to engage with thanks to the mount trait and... well being a Frostlord. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fabint said:

So I've played BCR for awhile, but the new release has me looking to expand into more Ogors. I'm really intrigued by some of the gun line options available now, and would love feedback on what I'm looking to build up to!

- Mortal Realm: Shyish
LEADERS
Tyrant (160)
- General
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic : Blubbergrub Stench
Frostlord on Thundertusk (390)
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait : Alvagr Ancient
UNITS
4 x Ironguts (220)
6 x Leadbelchers (240)

6 x Leadbelchers (240)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

BATTALIONS

Tyrant's Gutguard (120)

It feels like a lot of drops, but going second is what I prefer 90% of the time, anyway.  I'm hoping that the Frostlord on Thundertusk can work as a front line that no one wants to engage with thanks to the mount trait and... well being a Frostlord. 

That's a really cool list. I gotta say, I'm an Ironjawz player and I'm really on the verge of getting into Mawtribes. After watching Doom's review and TheHonestWargamer (which completely put me down about the faction btw) I really don't know where to stand about the units. On one side, you have Doom and HeyWoah who say that Gluttons are king and BCR has really get hit, on the other hand you have HonestWargamer who pushes the Gnoblars as being necessary to screen, and pushes leadbealchers as being really good. The Ironblasters though, listening to Doom, really seemed bad, unfortunately. What is your thinking behind taking them in? 

I really like your list btw, it seems thematic and strong, however it doesn't have the Gluttons who, after watching Doom's game on his channel vs IJ (and completely wiped the floor with them), have such staying power on the board, they really seem like a key component of a Mawtribes army. Please feel free to enlighten me.

19 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

That's a really cool list. I gotta say, I'm an Ironjawz player and I'm really on the verge of getting into Mawtribes. After watching Doom's review and TheHonestWargamer (which completely put me down about the faction btw) I really don't know where to stand about the units. On one side, you have Doom and HeyWoah who say that Gluttons are king and BCR has really get hit, on the other hand you have HonestWargamer who pushes the Gnoblars as being necessary to screen, and pushes leadbealchers as being really good. The Ironblasters though, listening to Doom, really seemed bad, unfortunately. What is your thinking behind taking them in? 

I really like your list btw, it seems thematic and strong, however it doesn't have the Gluttons who, after watching Doom's game on his channel vs IJ (and completely wiped the floor with them), have such staying power on the board, they really seem like a key component of a Mawtribes army. Please feel free to enlighten me.

To be fair, TheHonestWargamer didn't exactly say Gluttons were bad its just that he feels Leadbelchers fill the same niche and are just a bit better so he doesn't see a point in taking Gluttons from a min/max perspective.

Ironblasters I'm on the fence about. Both Ironblasters and Leadbelchers are shooting units that will need to get into melee if you actually want to get your points worth out of them (I would say Leadbelchers are a melee unit with a ranged attack tacked on). I can see an underguts + Tyrant with trophy rack build giving Ironblasters enough ranged power that when combined with their melee attacks makes them worthwhile but I don't think they will see the table outside of that build.

Also, I this might just be the bitter Khorne player in me but I'd wait for the FAQ before loading up on Ironblasters. I feel there is a very good chance that Trophy Rack will get errata'd to just work on melee attacks.

Edited by Forrix

Hello All,

Played Ogors about 4 years ago when they were still Ogres, and am looking to get back into it!  I was looking at a list like this.  Question I have is whether or not I should go with a specific Ogor tribe, or leave it generic?  Also, I could drop both Thundertusks in favor of other options?  Let me know what you think, and thanks!

LEADERS
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Command Trait : Furious Guzzler
- Artefact : Gruesome Trophy Rack

Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
Firebelly (120)
Slaughtermaster (140)

UNITS
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Ironguts (220)

BEHEMOTHS
Thundertusk Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)
Thundertusk Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

1 hour ago, Forrix said:

Also, I this might just be the bitter Khorne player in me but I'd wait for the FAQ before loading up on Ironblasters. I feel there is a very good chance that Trophy Rack will get errata'd to just work on melee attacks.

That will kill all competitive potential Mawtribes have. It's the only reliable way we have at dealing with Slaanesh.

3 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Been building a lot of lists. BCR hasn't changed much tbh. They are not as bad as people make them out to be. But some armies can deal with them and some armies simply can't. BCR are  decent at taking (back) objectives now. You probably want to give 1st turn away more often than before. Because as a whole BCR got a lot slower. I actually think the mawpot heal does more for BCR than it does for Gutbusters, maybe even gamechangingly so. Don't try and push everything in at once, since stonehorns lost run&charge it won't happen. But even in waves they can do a lot of damage. One wave of 4mournfang + Huskard on stonehorn that spends an CP can get really swingy. You have to bring one wizard to use the pot. And molten entrails can be insane if you get it off at the right time. Maybe thermal rider cloak is better than amulet now just to get that crazy assault in. But probably not.

However, I'm actually a bit scared that Underguts might be the only legit competitive option we have. Ironguts, Gluttons, Frostlord on Stonehorn and Yeti's are good units. But in the current meta they might suffer since they can't apply their damage in a direct way. Either chaff gets in the way or we have to fight last. Gnoblars are also a must but I don't consider them "good". Any chaff that comes along just to to die and doesn't provide anything besides that (like bloodreavers giving blood tithe points) is just lame. Yet they do make the Tyrant useful, and 40/60 wounds is beefy enough.

I don't really want to buy 20 leadbelchers though. I think Underguts might do okay with 10 leadbelchers and 12 gluttons. But 3/4 Ironblasters + trophy rack is a must (and luckily Ironblasters are actually affordable points and $$$ wise). What makes Underguts so great is that along with all that shooting you still get a decent melee profile and ability to hold and take objectives.

Dad ******? Boulderhead Stonehorns move 12+2+1 from Trait. That's 15" And you have +1 to charge from the mount trait. I don't believe that they are slow...

9 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

That will kill all competitive potential Mawtribes have. It's the only reliable way we have at dealing with Slaanesh.

Hence why they have to take it away :P. More to the point the Khorne change was similar in that it killed a potential competitive build and rendered Skull Cannons largely useless for seemingly no reason legitimate reason and after the rules writers said it was intentional for the cannons to benefit from Wrathmongers in a live stream. Though considering how negative reactions were to that they may be more hesitant about doing something similar again. I just wouldn't run out and buy 4 Ironblasters until we see the FAQ unless you just really love the model.

Slaanesh aside, I think the Frost Lord on Stonehorn w/ ethereal amulet is strong enough to keep Mawtribes close to a 50% winrate. A lot of army builds are going to struggle with that dude running into their face.

4 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Hence why they have to take it away :P. More to the point the Khorne change was similar in that it killed a potential competitive build and rendered Skull Cannons largely useless for seemingly no reason legitimate reason and after the rules writers said it was intentional for the cannons to benefit from Wrathmongers in a live stream. Though considering how negative reactions were to that they may be more hesitant about doing something similar again. I just wouldn't run out and buy 4 Ironblasters until we see the FAQ unless you just really love the model.

Slaanesh aside, I think the Frost Lord on Stonehorn w/ ethereal amulet is strong enough to keep Mawtribes close to a 50% winrate. A lot of army builds are going to struggle with that dude running into their face.

Sorry for the double post, Can't get the format right when I edit.

But the difference here is that we have an actual tribe build towards the Ironblaster gameplay. So they intended it this way. Also 3+ to hit pales in comparison to what CoS can dish out at range. That trophy rack is also a genuine reason for a Tyrant to be included into a comp list. In any other list you'd rather have a Frostlord on Stonehorn for the second artefact I agree.

I have to be honest I don't even want to play Underguts right now because I have 24 gluttons I bought and painted up that I haven't even got to see on the tabletop yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ccconner777 said:

Wargamebaseworld.com. shipping takes 2-3 weeks to the US but super cheap and has a good selection including stuff like magnets and sprue cutters. I just put in an order every now and then to keep the most common bases on hand so i dont have to wait.

Just looked at them. Looks amesome. Thanks so much. Their cobbled bases might be the solution for another project as well. 

31 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

Play it first. The ironblaster spam won't be the solution even with the trophy rack. It isn't reliable as is anyway. Slaanesh even on paper is crazy to beat. But to be fair that's why they are so crazy on top. I'm curious to see if top 3 will be possible. I'm still convinced that big blocks of ogors will be the thing opponents can't deal with. (except Slaanesh which is a weird conundrum)

But that's of course just my speculation.