AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

37 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Thx but that makes me even more wonder lol. Breainstorming now. Headache. I have 18 to build. Dunno if I go ironfist or dual weapons.🤪

Well, I'd say build at least 12 dual weapons to start.  They probably have the most utility and stand a chance of ruining just about anything they come up against, except for some of the very toughest opponents.  You could then build the remaining 6 with either set, and also consider you'll want some banners and "musicians" in there too! 

6 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Anyone else watch The Honest Wargamer review of the Ogor Mawtribes battletome? 

I was a bit underwhelmed by the battletome but feel even worse about it now. Doesn't seem like there is anything in the army that is going to allow them to be competitive in the current environment. 

I also read through the ossiarch Bonereapers battletome and it's mad to see the difference in rules. 

I think The Honest Wargamer is skewed towards very high end competitive play in his outlook (considering he covers GTs and such). If you were hoping to regularly have a solid shot at 5-0 with Ogres this book is an absolute let down. Pairing its release with a book that could regularly go 5-0 emphasizes this even more. I do think we'll see the occasional Mawtribes on the podium, its just going to be a once in awhile thing. He did sell me on Leadbelchers.

I think there's room for points cuts in a lot of areas too. Basically, most of the monsters except the FrostLord on Stornhorn seem a little overcosted to quite a bit overcosted but okay warscroll wise. You could cut their points decently and they'd still be at a points level that makes sense for big monsters. Stonehorn beastriders would probably start to make their way into my even at 280. Though Thundertusk beastriders are just doomed.

Edit: Another point but I don't feel making a new post so soon: I'm not sure on the order and timeframe these books were actually written but I feel like there are distinctly different design philosophies being simultaneously pursued by the rules writing team. In Orruk Warclans we saw the Mega Boss on Maw-crusha warscroll get simplified into 3 attack profiles: The ranged attack, the Mega-Boss Attacks, and the Maw-Crusha attacks. In Beastclaw the Stonehorns still have their Horns and Crushing Hooves (which is still random number of attacks with random damage) separated out into two profiles. The Frost Lord likewise, still has his spear attack profile then the mostly pointless Punches and Kicks.

In terms of general balance it feels like the writers were very careful with Mawtribes not let anything be over powered. The -1 hit Mawtribe is specifically in Friendly territory and only against shooting. In Bonereapers, they were just like "+1 save sound cool? Yeah, just slap it on everything all the time". I've said this before but it bears restating: There is some sort of communications breakdown going on in GW. Whether its due to information silos or personality conflicts or whatever the Left Hand and the Right Hand are off doing their own things.

Edited by Forrix
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Aryann said:

Edit: How to insert a build from w-h.com builder?

On the website, in the line where it shows your points total for the list is a circled question mark.   Click that to display your list, and then you have the option to Copy the list as presented.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I think The Honest Wargamer is skewed towards very high end competitive play in his outlook (considering he covers GTs and such). If you were hoping to regularly have a solid shot at 5-0 with Ogres this book is an absolute let down. Pairing its release with a book that could regularly go 5-0 emphasizes this even more. I do think we'll see the occasional Mawtribes on the podium, its just going to be a once in awhile thing. He did sell me on Leadbelchers.

I think there's room for points cuts in a lot of areas too. Basically, all the monsters except the FrostLord on Stornhorn seem a little overcosted to quite a bit overcosted .Yet you could cut their points decently and they'd still be at a points level that makes sense for big monsters. Stonehorn beastriders would probably start to make their way into my even at 280. Though Thundertusk beastriders are just doomed.

Technically, that means 9 month of overcosted Ogors 😕 ...if they adjust down their points.

Pairing its release with a book that could regularly go 5-0

Not so sure about this....for now. Ossiarch is a solid release, a resilient army but not a super heavy hitter as far as I've read/seeen. Future will tell us.

Hi all! I know next to nothing about ogors but painting a bunch of big boys was appealing so I snagged their half of Feast of Bones. Problem being, I have no idea how best to build to 1000 points. I'm not super competitive and given that this is a super side project it would be nice if this army didn't break the bank. Would grabbing a unit of Ironguts, the Tyrant's Gutguard, and another command point be ok? I feel like that's not enough dudes for 1000 points. Any input is greatly appreciated. Cheers. 

51 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Technically, that means 9 month of overcosted Ogors 😕 ...if they adjust down their points.

Not so sure about this....for now. Ossiarch is a solid release, a resilient army but not a super heavy hitter as far as I've read/seeen. Future will tell us.

In December they post a giant FAQ and usually a minor point rebalance.  It might come then?  (But I'd doubt it.)

28 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Yhetees get Mount traits???

Nah -- only heroes on monsters.

27 minutes ago, Felldir said:

Hi all! I know next to nothing about ogors but painting a bunch of big boys was appealing so I snagged their half of Feast of Bones. Problem being, I have no idea how best to build to 1000 points. I'm not super competitive and given that this is a super side project it would be nice if this army didn't break the bank. Would grabbing a unit of Ironguts, the Tyrant's Gutguard, and another command point be ok? I feel like that's not enough dudes for 1000 points. Any input is greatly appreciated. Cheers. 

The base Feast of Bones comes with 600 points.  Adding the Ironguts for 220 would give a solid hammer unit.  
I don't think you'd need another command point AND the Gutguard battalion, since battalions auto-give an extra command point).  Instead, I'd suggest at that point to drop the Leadbelchers and grab a Slaughtermaster.  That would put you at 1,000 total, and give a pretty solid (IMO) list. 

3 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

I don’t know the other armies too well: Are we actually the only army with three dedicated ambush units (frostsaber/hunter/gorger)? If so, that should be an interesting tool which not all are ready to counter.

Nighthaunt can also do a lot of these shenanigans.

I have two lists I want to try as soon as I have finnished rebasing my old Ogre kingdoms army 😊

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Slaughtermaster (140)
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
Goremand (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 174

For fun:

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
Slaughtermaster (140)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
-  Culling clubs
Tyrant's Gutguard (120)

Wounds: 144

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryanguy88 said:

The base Feast of Bones comes with 600 points.  Adding the Ironguts for 220 would give a solid hammer unit.  
I don't think you'd need another command point AND the Gutguard battalion, since battalions auto-give an extra command point).  Instead, I'd suggest at that point to drop the Leadbelchers and grab a Slaughtermaster.  That would put you at 1,000 total, and give a pretty solid (IMO) list. 

Sweet. Thanks man!

1 minute ago, Forrix said:

App is bugged. You have to have a BCR general for battleline Ironguts in it currently.

Thats annoying when making a list for saturday. Because on Community builder I cant choose two spells even though im Bloodgullet. 

No lists are 100% correct. 😁

Has anyone tried Maneaters? By math, they work out the hardest hitting in the codex if you assume they are charging after their throwing attacks. Kinda somewhere between a leadbelcher and an irongut. 

Limited because they are 30 dollars per model.'

It's me the only one who wants to try something like this? Quickly done, not refined.

- Mawtribe: Underguts
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Ironguts (220)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
Goremand (140)

Wounds: 174

BOOOOM HAHHAHA. I wonder the Ogres in this way.

Edited by Luzgurbel
  • Like 1

Just now, ryanguy88 said:

@Luzgurbel  You'll have to choose the Gnoblar Blast Keg as your first artefact with Underguts.

People have been floating the idea of running a battalion so as to give the Butcher the Blast Keg, and then give the Tyrant either a Gruesome Trophy Rack or the Sky-Titan Pistols -- but that means running less cannons.

See now, it's edited and fixed.

5 hours ago, Forrix said:

There is some sort of communications breakdown going on in GW. Whether its due to information silos or personality conflicts or whatever the Left Hand and the Right Hand are off doing their own things.

I think thats Warhammer's "thing". Each writer sort of gets to do whatever they want.

Or at least it was far more prominent back then.

Remember when Space Wolves got Free/Discounted Special Weapons? Almost no one else had that rule!

35 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

See now, it's edited and fixed.

Try 4 Ironblasters + Trophy Rack + Underguts CA, they are almost capable of kill a Keeper in one turn (around 13 average damages) ! 

And should try Blubbergrub Stench on your Butcher/Slaughter Master... shoot, shoot... crazy charge !

Edited by Arkahn

22 minutes ago, Arkahn said:

Try 4 Ironblasters + Trophy Rack + Underguts CA, they are almost capable of kill a Keeper in one turn (around 13 average damages) ! 

And should try Blubbergrub Stench on your Butcher/Slaughter Master... shoot, shoot... crazy charge !

You can unite 2 units of 4 Leadbelchers into 1 of 8, delete the other unit and add the 4th Ironblaster and use the insane combo you say. INSANE COMBO hahahaha.