AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

3 hours ago, FPC said:

1 being held (that could fit any Ogor left arm I believe) and one holstered. I bought 2 SC Beastclaw boxes and are probably just not going to use those pistols for the Mournfangs.  I'm less worried about the WYSIWYG on their leader than I am on the Maneaters, since they're 

4 hours ago, Tyrant said:

I picked up a Feast of Bones box and a whole stack of Ironguts, Gluttons, and Leadbelchers. Up until now I've been struggling to find the one Sigmar army that I just HAD to play, tinkering with the odd idea like an all Dragon Ogor force, or all Trogs. Gutbusters are the first Sigmar army that jumped out and demanded I build them ASAP, or else.

To that end.

Does anyone know which, if any, kits come with a good number of Ogor flintlock pistols? I want to convert a box of gluttons into Maneaters, and I'm trying to piece together enough oversized cutlasses and Flintlocks to give them a vaguely swashbuckler mercenary vibe. Preferably some guns that I can mount on belts or under arm slings, and some I can put in hand, with left and right handed cutlasses. Been shopping around for a bit now with only mild success.

The mournfang box has 2 copies each of pistols in left hands and holstered pistols. The leader bits (and i think all the command bits?) have 2 copies in the box

1 hour ago, Forrix said:

I'm surprised his damage out was low. Looking at his warscroll he looks like a very killy hero for 160 points.

It isn't that surprising if you compare him to a 55p irongut boss or a 60p maneater. Don't get me wrong, he isn't that bad, but I see no need in him in a competitive list.  His CA really lost some worth too.

If the Tyrant was 130-140 I'd be more likely to consider him, but he's a tad too costly. We have plenty of cheaper, better heroes. His biggest problem is a lack of attacks or any exceptional traits or artifacts. Sure his six-shooter is fun, but when making a serious list I don't know where he fits in.

2 minutes ago, Mutton said:

If the Tyrant was 130-140 I'd be more likely to consider him, but he's a tad too costly. We have plenty of cheaper, better heroes. His biggest problem is a lack of attacks or any exceptional traits or artifacts. Sure his six-shooter is fun, but when making a serious list I don't know where he fits in.

Only place he really shines is with a gruesome trophy rack in a shooting list.  Ironblasters dual shooting with that should make a mess of most monsters.

Why all the Tyrant hate? The warscroll got better, the amazing command ability got even better, and you get to choose the Big Name now. He's still my go-to for General for all armies I make, such as this:

Bloodgullet

Tyrant (General, Red Drop, Splatter-Cleaver) 160

Butcher (Blood Feast, Ribcracker, Shrunken Priest Head) 140

Slaughtermaster (Molten Entrails, Greasy Deluge, Flesh Apron) 140

Stonehorn Beastrider (Blood Vulture) 300

Leadbelchers x4 160

Ogre Gluttons x12 (Paired Clubs, Lookout Grot, +1 Bravery Banner) 400

Ironguts x 4 220

Ironguts x4 220

Goremand 140

Tyrant's Gutguard 120

2000/2000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ryanguy88 said:

If I'm reading the Pitched Battle Profiles correctly, it looks like  Beastriders will be battleline and NOT behemoth in an Ogor Mawtribes army if the general is a Beastclaw Raider.

So a valid list would be 
1x Frostlord on Stonehorn

- General

1x Frostlord on Stonehorn

2x Thundertusk Beastriders

2x Stonehorn Beastriders

Making it 2000 points, 2 leaders, 4 battlelines, 2 behemoths.

Am I reading that right? 

Whoa, that's amazing!  I love low model count armies.  Even if the models are HUGE.  That new rule where the monsters count as 10 models for objectives is a really big boost to Ogors too.  And them being hungry or eating.  Seems like a fun army, as it was before.

2 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Why all the Tyrant hate? The warscroll got better, the amazing command ability got even better, and you get to choose the Big Name now.

Before, the way to run him was with the Gutgouger and +1 to wound to proc his double damage ability---he could pretty reliably dish out 12+ damage in combat. With his new scroll, he's statistically likely to only do around 6, and the +2 Bravery to all Ogors who are eating make his command ability less necessary (even though the ability itself is much better).

3 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Why all the Tyrant hate? The warscroll got better, the amazing command ability got even better, and you get to choose the Big Name now. He's still my go-to for General for all armies I make, such as this:

Too expensive, not nearly enough damage for what he should be capable of doing. Great model though. 

All the people calling the Tyrant subpar, too expensive, not good enough. Should play a couple of games first I feel. The tyrant was so clutch before and the bravery boost only applies part of the time. 12 man gluttons (or 10 leadbelchers) will be the core of most gutbutcher armies and as soon as you have to spend more than one cp on battleshock he’ll save you a point. Which can be better invested in re-rolls of 1. 

the whole ghyran strike tyrant is the same story. Very cool combo but it was almost always run in combination with a second tyrant that did the battleshock immunity. But that combo isn’t there anymore so the comparison is irrelevant. 

now, I haven’t played any games with the new book either. But I definitely played enough  games with gutbusters in the past two years to believe he has great value still. And I’m willing to bet he’s going to be included in most competitive lists. 

not to mention the options of making your screens and objective holders immune to battleshock if you so choose. Because the Might is Right rule is an absolute blessing. But 100 pts of gnoblars is still more bodies than 120pts of gluttons and so I wouldn’t be surprised as gnoblars will still have their role to play. Supported by a tyrant. 

just my two cents. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Cranky Dwarf said:

Kinda ironic how the only model they replaced was one that is now subpar. A new butcher would have been nice and much more useful.

I am sure new models will come next year for most armies, now that almost all armies are sorted out.  We already have a new tyrant, new hunter is on the way, so the next Ogor mini will be a butcher I think. Until then, kitbash away. 😁

Oh, and I will definitely try out the 6shot tyrant, looks like a fun plinker 😄

Edited by Beastmaster

Depend of your list / batailon.

Butcher looks like a good buffer to Ogor / monster (slaugtermaster did the same but you have the random proc of the cauldron on more)

Firebelly's lore was awesome ... Great pressuring / dealing and obvisouly an op -1 to hit aura for ennemy.

If u just want a wizard for some dispell / endless spell rhe fungoïd shaman his already nice for 90pts.

Edited by Zorki

I must say that the Slaughtermaster is looking quite powerful. The cauldron is very nice, his spell is great for buffing Gluttons, especially when combined with Meatfist or Bloodgullet, and his Battalion is great for minimizing drops. 

Speaking of BLoodgullet, it is crazy powerful. I think magic is the way to go for Mawtribes, maybe with a Tyrant, Ironguts, some Gluttons, and a big mammoth or two.

• Like 1

Just a fun easy to play Underguts list. Anyone else thinking about them? Not as GT Tournament winning but for club nights. 

Spoiler

Underguts

120 - Tyrant gutguard 
160 - Tyrant - Mass of Scars - Sky Titan Pistols
440 - Ironguts 8x
240 - IronBlasters 2x

120 - Firebelly - General - Cloud of Ash - Gnoblar Blast Keg
320 - Leadbelchers 8x
320 - Leadbelchers 8x
100 - Gnoblars 20x
180 - Maneaters 3x
2K on the dot

Block a space for the Ironblasters with the Mawpot and Gnoblars. +1 to cast for the firebelly. Leadbelchers running around and charging as soon as possible. Ironguts to crack the tough nut. Maneaters with Run and Charge (and shooting) as linebackers. Tyrant bullies the gnoblars and then goes off to do what ever. Seemed fun to me and only requires me to add/proxy some leadbelchers. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Just a fun easy to play Underguts list. Anyone else thinking about them? Not as GT Tournament winning but for club nights. 

Hide contents

Underguts

120 - Tyrant gutguard 
160 - Tyrant - Mass of Scars - Sky Titan Pistols
440 - Ironguts 8x
240 - IronBlasters 2x

120 - Firebelly - General - Cloud of Ash - Gnoblar Blast Keg
320 - Leadbelchers 8x
320 - Leadbelchers 8x
100 - Gnoblars 20x
180 - Maneaters 3x
2K on the dot

Block a space for the Ironblasters with the Mawpot and Gnoblars. +1 to cast for the firebelly. Leadbelchers running around and charging as soon as possible. Ironguts to crack the tough nut. Maneaters with Run and Charge (and shooting) as linebackers. Tyrant bullies the gnoblars and then goes off to do what ever. Seemed fun to me and only requires me to add/proxy some leadbelchers. 

Not worked out the details but pondering something similar.   Probably going for more Ironblasters and a trophy rack on the tyrant for some serious anti-monster shooting..

• Like 1

I was just looking at the meatfists and pondering multiple tiny units to trigger the empowered charge.

For example,

1520points,  9 groups of leadbelchers x2.

Add a tyrant and a slaughterpriest and a few other toys to taste.

On the charge they will average 40mw. That's unit destroying types of damage. And then they still fight and shoot 

Just thinking that msu actually gets more damage in for the charge than do bigger blocks.

Has anyone tried this kind of approach?

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

I was just looking at the meatfists and pondering multiple tiny units to trigger the empowered charge.

For example,

On the charge they will average 40mw. That's unit destroying types of damage. And then they still fight and shoot 

Just thinking that msu actually gets more damage in for the charge than do bigger blocks.

Has anyone tried this kind of approach?

How is that doing 40MW? You know that meatfist isn't letting you do mortals on a 5+ right? It's just letting you roll an extra dice each time you charge to try and roll a 6+ on.

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

Checking your maths, because I'm not sure I understand.
2 leadbelchers = 80 points.
80*9  = 720.
Doing 18 units of 2xLeadbelchers would be 1440.  so 1520 points would get you 19 groups.  Guessing it was a typo?  
Average charge roll of 7,  mortal wounds on a 5+ gives an average of 2.33 mortal wounds per unit of two leadbelchers.  
2.33 x 19 units = 44.333  Mortal wounds per charge.

Yeah, that's not so bad.  I can see a few problems.  Failed charges would hurt -- not only would it lower the mortal wound output, but it would then create an obstacle for further units' charges.   Getting swarmed by a big giant blob would also be disastrous -- and that's kind of the "competitive" thing these days. AoE Endless spells would also be a problem.  But maybe throw some of the rest of the points at some dispellers.  Could be a fun list, at the very least..  

Just now, Walrustaco said:

How is that doing 40MW? You know that meatfist isn't letting you do mortals on a 5+ right? It's just letting you roll an extra dice each time you charge to try and roll a 6+ on.

1d4chan might be wrong, but the rule printed there is:

Battle Traits: Fleshy Stampede: Add 1 to the dice roll for any MEATFIST units using the Trampling Charge ability.

This would imply that you roll the dice equal to the charge value,  then all 6+ on the (dice value + 1) create a mortal wound. (Looking for a 5+ on the dice).