AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

25 minutes ago, FPC said:

Maybe I’m crazy....but has anyone thought about running a huge unit of 8 Mournfang? I know it’s a lot more than the same wounds worth of Gluttons, but with the right buffs I think it could be worth it. This would probably hinge on getting the Huskard +1 to wound prayer going tho. Not exceptionally reliable. Thoughts? 

If you run the Mournfang tribe and use the vulture to wound a unit, then the Mournfangs will reroll wound rolls against that unit. Then give them +1 damage to their mount attacks with a Butcher and +1 damage to their husks with the Huskard on Stonehorns command ability and they can dish out some nice damage. The problem is there is no way to increase their hit chance, which is 4 on the tusks and it would be difficult to get 8 models in range of most units.

4 minutes ago, Fiche said:

If you run the Mournfang tribe and use the vulture to wound a unit, then the Mournfangs will reroll wound rolls against that unit. Then give them +1 damage to their mount attacks with a Butcher and +1 damage to their husks with the Huskard on Stonehorns command ability and they can dish out some nice damage. The problem is there is no way to increase their hit chance, which is 4 on the tusks and it would be difficult to get 8 models in range of most units.

How does a Butcher give +1 damage? A spell?

23 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

What do you think about the Maneaters? 

They didn`t change but Ironguts also hit on 3s now.

I don`t see a reason to take maneaters over Ironguts (Maybe only if the 40 point differential opens up another combo you otherwise wouldn`t be able to do).

But they are not too bad in a non competitive game.

They are fine, I guess.

This post is just my "hot takes" or what I think is good in our book.

I think a big part of our list building will be dropping the bcr or gutbuster mentality. The only thing in the book that requires certain models are our battalions.  Everything else is inter-changeable, and in some places actually better.  For example, Winter Bite Subclan, this clan gives out -1 to hit with range weapons in your entire territory. That is a huge thing as more and more armies pick up decent shooting. You know what else loves protection as they run down the field, Gluttons. Running 2 big blocks of Gluttons under Winter Bite and sling a firebelly in there for a lucky billowing ash and you have 24 Gluttons rocketing across the field virtually immune behind a -2 to hit bubble ensuring they reach combat at almost peak performance. 

Your big BCR stuff is virtually immune to damage if they don't get one rounded when run under the blood gullet sub faction. Between thundertusk healing, butcher healing, slaughtermaster pots, and their relic that heals everything around them when dealing unsaved wounds(Put this on frostlord, not butchers) you can run 2-3 big bois who are amazingly resilient.  Nevermind all the support they get from said butchers. Buffs to their damage, debuffs to units armor saves, bonus to hit, extra attacks etc etc. 

Junkmob may be in the running for one of the best battalions in the game. This battalion is so lean and cheap that it can fit into almost any army list. 1-3 Gnoblars, 1-2 Scapapults and a cheap battalion cost of 100 pts. At bare minimum this battalion runs you 320 points, for 20 bodies to hold a back line objective, a catapult to reach out and harrass their objective holders/screens.  Not to mention the free CP and extra relic which is needed as sadly most of the clan relics are subpar. I would probably run 40 gnoblars and one launcher for 420 points of bodies. Make those immune to battleshock and run forward gumming up the enemy plans. 

12 man block of Gluttons is our best unit option, period, no contest. It pound for pound delivers everything this army needs at a relative low cost(for our army). When you factor in all the easy buffs we have this gets dialed up to 10. Plus attacks, Plus Hits, Bonus damage, Exploding Sixes, Negative saves, etc etc all force multiply very well on these guys. 

Don't let 4 to hit convince you on sleeping on Leadbelchers. These guys are the same price as Gluttons(i dont think they get a max stack discount), for one less attack, but an extra rend. 12 Gluttons with exploding sixes get 36 attacks hitting on 3/3/-/2, using a dice calculator against a unit with a 4+ armor this results in 30 hits, 20 wounds, they save 10 and take 20 damage. 12 Lead Belchers have 24 attacks at 3/3/-1/2. This dices out to 16 hits, 10.67 wounds 7.11 unsaved for 14.22 dmg.  If you add in its d3 shooting, 24 shots(d3 average of 2 shots each) 12 hits, 8 wounds 5.33 wounds. This puts them at 19.55 dmg vs Gluttson 20 damage. If they stand still and shoot d6 before charging in, they average out to 21 hits, 14 wounds 9.33 unsaved damage. So all in all, max gluttons and Max Leadbelchers perform very similar in stats. They both excel in different areas, such as Gluttons pull ahead with +1 to attack coupled with exploding sixes, where leadbelchers can shine against units with better armor, and when standing still before charging. 

1 Firebelly is almost auto include at 120 points. Its a wizard so it helps with some scenarios, it benefits from the mawpot, its not overly expensive and its spell lore is AMAZING. If you need anti horde, its got you, if you need anti elite unit, its got you, if you are feeling lucky its got a massive -1 to hit bubble (if you can cast it, best spell hardest to cast of the lore,  sad panda)

I think Blood gullet tribe, with a butcher slaughter master and firebelly has some legs.  Have the slaughtermaster cast cogs and butcher stand on the balewind vortex and the skin apron to give him all the spells lets him sling out 4 spells covering a big chunk of the board. Kinda eggs in the basket type deal and will probably fall flat against any armor with +++ to cast like Nagash or DoT. 

As I dig into this and get my games in this week, I'm sure ill have more insights.  What is everybody else having fun with?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I have the following issue: Beeing broke as the average university student in germany happens to be, I am really concidering to take the 4 Leadbelchers in the feast boxed set and to convert some into Butchers and Slaughtermasters. Yet this would mean to Sacrifice a potential cool Battleline Unit for smaller games, which would make me stuck with always playing FLoSH+Mournfangs+Gluttons in each List I own. I am also toying with the idea to loot the Lord of the Rings Range and to convert these three guys. The front one has the perfect position to let him drag a cauldron, the one in the back is neat with his apron, only the guy on the right is fugly as hell. All in all I am not sure if thoose guys will opticaly match Ogors enough, also from the size (i didn´t find any reference beside the fact that thoose are 60mm bases)99121466007_TheTrollsNEW01.jpg.68f751429c28967ad8b7cdfda394c888.jpg

14 hours ago, ccconner777 said:

Hey all, I have a conversion question. I want to use the 2 hand weapons from my Mournfang kit combined with foot ogor bodies from the glutton kit (that i dont have yet) to convert 4 ironguts. However the arm bits that go with the 2 handed weapons in the mournfang kit are needed to build the one handed mournfang models, so my question is has anyone done this conversion or knows if there are arms in the standard ogor kit that are compatible with the 2 handed mournfang weapons? Like, are the same arms that will connect properly with those 2 hand weapons in both kits? If not, i'll have to save the mournfang kit arms for the conversion and just use one hand weapon arms from the ogor kit on the mournfang.

I did it for a conversion for a friend way way back. Yes it’s possible but you’re going to have gaps In the wrists that you can relatively easily fill with green stuff.  If your unfamiliar with using green stuff this is actually a quite good place to start. 

If you use the parts left over after building the command group it shouldn’t be too much of a risk to try it. I’ll see if I can get a picture but I’m afraid most of his collection has gone to goodwill so I don’t think he still has it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

What do you think about the Maneaters? 

Before the book they were great backfield defenders. 3 to 6 with the long striders ability (and shots) can deal with a lot of deepstriking units in the game. If that’s still the case I don’t know, but that’s how I’ll be trying them out. 

1 hour ago, Lucank said:

They didn`t change but Ironguts also hit on 3s now.

I don`t see a reason to take maneaters over Ironguts (Maybe only if the 40 point differential opens up another combo you otherwise wouldn`t be able to do).

But they are not too bad in a non competitive game.

They are fine, I guess.

Didn't they also hit on 4's before? I can't remember. They did get the gulping bite and they are the only unit in our army that can run&charge on their own now. Which might be huge since they can count for 6 models to cap an objective.

I'm going to use them regardless because all my tyrants are basically demoted to maneaters haha.

The firebelly sculpt is lovely (unlike the tragic butchers) so I've never felt a need to kitbash one, shouldn't be too hard though really, there are plenty of flame-y bits out there, or failing that fire is fairly easy to sculpt.

So long as your conversion has some fire/smoke on it you won't have any complaints I'd imagine.

5 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

An ogre Tyrant breaks into your house, eats all your food, insults your cooking,  then holds a Sky Titan Repeating Pistol to your head and tells you that you have to create a Mawtribes army that incorporates all the battalions from the book in 1 (one) 2000 point list.

wat do?

I get 6 shots to the head because they dont fit! Cant fit all the gutbusters battalions in one, youd have to drop one of them I think.

45 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

Anyone ever tried to kitbash an firebelly?

I think that’s a hard one to do. I think you’d either need to cannibalise other kits with flames in then or be able to sculpt them.  There are very cool things possible though and cool change to do some OSL. 

BTW, my army list so far:

Winterbite Mawtribe 

Tyrant

Butcher

Butcher

Hunter

9 Ogor (3/3/3 or 6/3, MSU)

10 Frostsaber (don’t know how to divide them)

Thundertusk Beastriders

Skal Battalion

Mawpot

=1520 p

I am completely new to this, just picked the miniatures I really like. Basic idea is to have the butchers, mawpot and thundertusk as artillery, with Ogors and sabers as hunters within the threat range of the casters and shooters.

Some yhetees would be really fitting I think, but those sculpts.... Meh.

Ideas? Opinions?

9 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

BTW, my army list so far:

Winterbite Mawtribe 

Tyrant

Butcher

Butcher

Hunter

9 Ogor (3/3/3 or 6/3, MSU)

10 Frostsaber (don’t know how to divide them)

Thundertusk Beastriders

Skal Battalion

Mawpot

=1520 p

I am completely new to this, just picked the miniatures I really like. Basic idea is to have the butchers, mawpot and thundertusk as artillery, with Ogors and sabers as hunters within the threat range of the casters and shooters.

Some yhetees would be really fitting I think, but those sculpts.... Meh.

Ideas? Opinions?

Add 3 Ogors in one unit to have the discount. You pay 12 Ogors 400 points. 

Then I would add a Slaughtermaster, useful to buff your units. 

The Yeethees are useful for their speed and for the 6" pile in.  I like so much the models, even if lots of people don't. With the right paint work they will become nice.