AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

On 6/22/2020 at 8:54 AM, JDLIII said:

Can I get an opinion or two on how good or bad this list can be? I’m curious if I’m lacking anything or it will be able to hold its own. Thank you.

Allegiance: Destruction
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Chaintrap
Icebrow Hunter (120)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
Eurlbad (140)
Skal (100)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

And think it’s pretty good. 
I personally haven’t played mournfang yet but you might want to consider going 3x2 to have a bit more presence. So while your stone horns move forward and the sabretusks threaten to deep strike or screen you can still occupy your own objectives. 
if that’s more useful than having one four man squad with banner and horn I don’t know. But it’s something to consider. 

24 minutes ago, simakover said:

Hello, is ogor army builded on foot good or not after GHB 2020? 

Personally I still think so. I don't didn't need points changes to think that though. But it does depend on how you define good and what you want from it. 

Foot ogors do need you to play more tactical than to charge forward and outkill your opponent. But all the troops in big groups are great. Love 12 gluttons to clear hordes and just be super survivable. I love 10 Leadbelchers in a unit even more. They are great in combat do some extra damage from ranged and are very versatile. And they have great rend. 8 Ironguts absolutely decimate everything they touch. Usually are a target for your opponent though. Not a big deal as that means your other units are surviving, scoring and killing. 
Leader wise the Tyrant has no real role besides giving Ogors or Gnoblars battleshock immunity. Butcher is good in the Bloodgullet tribe because you can cast the Maw for some damage and a support spell. I also really like the Slaughtermaster in the goremand battalion. To chances to get a +1 to hit for a nearby unit. Ironguts that hit on 2+... yes please!
I do feel that an Ogor list on foot needs a hunter with some cats. Because you have not the speed nor fly to threaten backfield objectives and targets otherwise. I usually save setting up my Hunter to the last and then decide if I want them in ambush. Or use the cats to screen my important units. 

All in all, imo of course, I think they are good. But on paper its a 3-2 or 4-1 army and if you just want to win the big tournaments it's likely not with Ogors. But on the other hand I think we are a nice counter to KO, Tzeentch, seraphon and Lumineth. We got the bodies that a lot of d3 Mortal wounds spells don't really worry me. KO can do massive damage, but they will fold if you get to them and with their thunderers having a range of 18" that's pretty doable. In the meantime you just swarm the objectives with 8+ Ogor units. But I have yet to play against them other than KO, so that's just me guessing.

If you want to have fun and never feel like you auto lose Mawtribes is great. You win more than you lose in my experience. It's pretty forgiving when figuring the army out and it's fun to paint. 

hope this helps. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Personally I still think so. I don't didn't need points changes to think that though. But it does depend on how you define good and what you want from it. 

Foot ogors do need you to play more tactical than to charge forward and outkill your opponent. But all the troops in big groups are great. Love 12 gluttons to clear hordes and just be super survivable. I love 10 Leadbelchers in a unit even more. They are great in combat do some extra damage from ranged and are very versatile. And they have great rend. 8 Ironguts absolutely decimate everything they touch. Usually are a target for your opponent though. Not a big deal as that means your other units are surviving, scoring and killing. 
Leader wise the Tyrant has no real role besides giving Ogors or Gnoblars battleshock immunity. Butcher is good in the Bloodgullet tribe because you can cast the Maw for some damage and a support spell. I also really like the Slaughtermaster in the goremand battalion. To chances to get a +1 to hit for a nearby unit. Ironguts that hit on 2+... yes please!
I do feel that an Ogor list on foot needs a hunter with some cats. Because you have not the speed nor fly to threaten backfield objectives and targets otherwise. I usually save setting up my Hunter to the last and then decide if I want them in ambush. Or use the cats to screen my important units. 

All in all, imo of course, I think they are good. But on paper its a 3-2 or 4-1 army and if you just want to win the big tournaments it's likely not with Ogors. But on the other hand I think we are a nice counter to KO, Tzeentch, seraphon and Lumineth. We got the bodies that a lot of d3 Mortal wounds spells don't really worry me. KO can do massive damage, but they will fold if you get to them and with their thunderers having a range of 18" that's pretty doable. In the meantime you just swarm the objectives with 8+ Ogor units. But I have yet to play against them other than KO, so that's just me guessing.

If you want to have fun and never feel like you auto lose Mawtribes is great. You win more than you lose in my experience. It's pretty forgiving when figuring the army out and it's fun to paint. 

hope this helps. 

thanks, im now have only a ogor-ossiarh part of box, qhant push it to 1000 pts

10 hours ago, simakover said:

thanks, im now have only a ogor-ossiarh part of box, qhant push it to 1000 pts

What models do you like the best? 
because you have some choices then. 
you can make 4 leadbelchers and 4 gluttons or 2 leadbelchers and 6 gluttons. (If I remember correctly).

and of course a ironblaster or a scrap launcher. 

what are you thinking of going for? 

I saw an army list of Mawtribes using a Mercenary Cogsmith and Cannon.  I looked in the GHB2020 and Pitched Battle profiles but didn’t see any Mercenary stuff.  Where are those battalions now?  Or are they gone?  Would be a way to keep Boulderhead or BloodGullet and still get some good ranged sniper support.   

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

What models do you like the best? 
because you have some choices then. 
you can make 4 leadbelchers and 4 gluttons or 2 leadbelchers and 6 gluttons. (If I remember correctly).

and of course a ironblaster or a scrap launcher. 

what are you thinking of going for? 

In thinking about scrap launcher and 2 belchers

14 minutes ago, simakover said:

In thinking about scrap launcher and 2 belchers

Yeah scraplauncher is better on his own than the cannon. I personally think the canon is cooler but might be a bit better if you take a lot. 
Good choice. 

if you are looking to expand I would advice some ironguts or a butcher/slaughtermaster first. Of course you can also convert one/both instead of making the leadbelchers. But that’s all up to you. 

have you painted anything so far? 
the tyrant model in that box is amazing to paint. 

18 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Yeah scraplauncher is better on his own than the cannon. I personally think the canon is cooler but might be a bit better if you take a lot. 
Good choice. 

if you are looking to expand I would advice some ironguts or a butcher/slaughtermaster first. Of course you can also convert one/both instead of making the leadbelchers. But that’s all up to you. 

have you painted anything so far? 
the tyrant model in that box is amazing to paint. 

just 2 belchers

Tomorrow is Saturday so we have to play a game of warhammer, in this case it will be AOS and I will play ogres against Poster Boys .... sorry, Stormcast hehehe

tomorrow night I will put a photo if you want

for this occasion my list is....

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
- Artefact: Alvagr Rune-tokens
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Chaintrap

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 86

• Like 3

Thoughts? For a 32 player tournament. If I win 2/5 I'm happy. 1058132627_Screenshot2020-08-01at08_13_02.png.8e8e1a022ed30c901cce2dfb2c23c5e4.png

Personally I wanted to have something to threaten the backfield and something to threaten long range for when I unavoidably get turn 1. But I just can't fit everything in. I'm also thinking of this 'goofy' list.  My Four threat phalanx:

431583257_Screenshot2020-08-01at08_16_57.png.360fed62931018eca02941a34269d347.png

• Like 1

Finally I will play a list a little less competitive and taking advantage of the drop in points of the HTT I decided to remove the battalion and bring 5 beasts

- General
Huskard on Thundertusk (300)
- Blood Vulture
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers

Extra Command Points: 0

IMG_20200801_160847.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

21 hours ago, Kramer said:

Thoughts? For a 32 player tournament. If I win 2/5 I'm happy. 1058132627_Screenshot2020-08-01at08_13_02.png.8e8e1a022ed30c901cce2dfb2c23c5e4.png

Personally I wanted to have something to threaten the backfield and something to threaten long range for when I unavoidably get turn 1. But I just can't fit everything in. I'm also thinking of this 'goofy' list.  My Four threat phalanx:

431583257_Screenshot2020-08-01at08_16_57.png.360fed62931018eca02941a34269d347.png

Personally I think you need an extra Ironblaster to capitalise on the Trophy Rack and Underguts ability. I’d drop the Gnoblars to save 100 points and switch from Goremand to Gutguard to trim the extra 20 points and get a third cannon in. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 11:09 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I saw an army list of Mawtribes using a Mercenary Cogsmith and Cannon.  I looked in the GHB2020 and Pitched Battle profiles but didn’t see any Mercenary stuff.  Where are those battalions now?  Or are they gone?  Would be a way to keep Boulderhead or BloodGullet and still get some good ranged sniper support.   

The way I understand things, the Mercenary rules are still technically legal, however, some of the units included in it got moved to Legends with GHB 2020 and can no longer be used in Matched Play.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, James101 said:

Personally I think you need an extra Ironblaster to capitalise on the Trophy Rack and Underguts ability. I’d drop the Gnoblars to save 100 points and switch from Goremand to Gutguard to trim the extra 20 points and get a third cannon in. 

Yeah it’s something I’ve been thinking about as well.  Started with 4 cannons, went down to 3 for a few games and now I even feel 360pts is too much an investment. 
for me, after 8 or 10 games with underguts, the real value of the cannons is that it forces your opponent closer and maybe the monster charges if you get the spell off. 
Even four didn’t kill the big things. If it’s damage you won’t I would be better off with 4 ironguts. But they don’t have the range to threaten back field. Although not every single hero monster is ethereal anymore. So that helps 😅

I’ll have a think about it. Without the Goremsnd I’ll just take a butcher. 

On 8/1/2020 at 5:03 PM, Iamanbo said:

Finally I will play a list a little less competitive and taking advantage of the drop in points of the HTT I decided to remove the battalion and bring 5 beasts

- General
Huskard on Thundertusk (300)
- Blood Vulture
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers

Extra Command Points: 0

IMG_20200801_160847.jpg

This is why i started ogor mawtribes. So few but big Monster Units. I love the picture as well. 

May i ask how you did the fur of the Frostlord (teal)? 

Although i wonder why noone is playing thundertusk. 

I had one game with (1250 pts) with 2 thundertusk and 1 stonehorn and i liked the snowball of the thundertusk. Too Bad i couldnot test the Stonehorn since it died in round 2 after failing 2 Charge rolls :(

I think the lack of damage dealing and lack of the 5++ wound/MW negation on the TTs is why Stonehorns are preferred.  Despite their extra points they’re just so much better.  

However I’m for sure magnetizing a kit to have a Huskard TT as the prayer and potential ranged attack plus the mount trait to make enemies strike last seems very tasty.   2 FLoSH/ HoTT/ 3 SHBR.  2k on the dot.  Boulder head of course.   

Yesterday I used:

BloodGullet/Chamon

FLoSH General w splatter cleaver/nice drop

HoTT w plate of perfect protection 

Slaughtermaster, Ribcracker n greasy deluge

Goremand

3x3 Fist clubs Gluttons

8 Ironguts

4 leadbelchers

game 1 vs Legion of nagash w Magash, bunch of dire wolves , big chainrasp and scythe gheist units, vampire Sorcerer and maybe another hero of sorts.  Over by top of turn two as I got the double turn.  Avalanched through both wolf units turn one, then charged in with Stonehorns on Nagash and Ironguts into scythes.   Impact hits alone almost killed Nagash as I rolled 9&10 for charge ranges there.   He called it right there.   Ironguts would have weathered some of the scythes but probably taken half the unit with them anyways.   

Game 2 vs Horrors galore in changehost.  Tough tough fight.  Horrors are ANNOYING!   The teleport is also frustrating.  Played the Blades Edge mission where if you go second you can remove an objective.   He got ahead on points and ended 10–14.  Pretty close.  I forgot about my Chamon plate otherwise the HoTT might have lasted longer.  

Their -1 to hit locus is also rough.  I charged the 20 pink horror unit and they still weren’t al dead by end of turn three but my big monsters were.  So much shooting but they held pretty well. I think I should have split forces to go after the smaller units to clean them up fast and early while perhaps feeding small units to the big horrors to occupy their shooting.   

Big monsters are super good but can still be whittled and tarpjtted.  The extra damage for charging is very important.  Splatter cleaver though is awesome on the FLoSH.  I got good mileage out of that.   Gotta keep that on a good weapon too, so maybe the tyrant could also have that.  A Huskard only punches and kicks, so the cleaver wouldn’t do squat on him. 

Slaughtermaster in the goremand was also super useful!   However I think I might put a butcher or firebelly in their next time or just use the Mawpot earlier if I can.  I kept my Slaughtermaster going forward to buff the monsters but then nobody was near the Mawpot to unleash the magic later on.   I got a couple spells off.  Not easy vs Nagash or Tzeentch!

looking forward to next time, perhaps with Mournfangs and a Skal as well.   The outflanking would have really helped in the Tzeentch game 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stromberg said:

This is why i started ogor mawtribes. So few but big Monster Units. I love the picture as well. 

May i ask how you did the fur of the Frostlord (teal)? 

Although i wonder why noone is playing thundertusk. 

I had one game with (1250 pts) with 2 thundertusk and 1 stonehorn and i liked the snowball of the thundertusk. Too Bad i couldnot test the Stonehorn since it died in round 2 after failing 2 Charge rolls :(

I made the Frost Lord's cape with:
Base: P3 Frostbite
Ink: Medium Blue
Lights: very diluted white
Unify Color with P3 Frostbite Aero

I think that the TT can be useful as a support for your Stonehorn, the TT does not hit well, the TT is not very resistant but it has a decent shot, it allows you to cure your Stonehorn that together with the cauldron can give you an extra turn of good blows .
Also defensively it allows you to always hit before your opponent if you do not charge or accompany a Frostlord and make sure that you will always hit before with Alvagr Ancient.
In competitive I do not use TT but for casual games if I like it already brings variety to the army, also in my case I have magnetized all the heads and almost all the bodies hehehe

My new magnets got delivered today; now I can swap between that way-too-long pokey spear and the mighty splatter cleaver with ease :)

For Mournfang weapons it seems like half prefer gargant hackers and half go with the clubs/prey hackers and fists.  The 4+ to hit plus 1 less attack gives me pause, I'm leaning towards the clubs/prey hackers.  Is the rend-1 of the gargant hackers  the winning detail?   

Either way seems like units of 4 is pretty awesome.