AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Hi guys I am building a mawtribes based on the old blackblood from chronopia, so dark skin and Arabian look. What I cannot bear is the uglyNess of the  frost Saber. Do you know of any (even non gw) miniature to use in place of the official ones? Even other appropriately Arabian beast. 

hi, i would be looking for a 1000 competitive points list to start with the ogor, not being able to afford many useless pieces i wanted to understand what to buy and what not, i was thinking of 12x glutton - a butcher some ironguts, and some other hero on foot,

ty all

Have you a raw idea on Wich tribe to follow? You have the hth one(meat fist) , the magic one (bloodgullet) and the shooty one(underguts). Based on the one you may choose you may want different characters or troops. 

The first love big glutton units, and tyrant. The second capitolize on butcher, I'll advise 2 or 3 but a tyrant is helpful. The third want a shitload of lead Belcher. 

So if you take 

Tyrant

Butcher

6 glutton 

4 iron guts 

4 lead Belcher 

1 ironblaster 

You have a varied solid base to expand wherever you want and the piece for choosing a few battalion warscroll. 

You are short of 80 points, a gnoblar unit for masses or 4 frost Saber for fast unit, flanking with an hunter. 

@Ciotola could you stretch to 3x Start Collecting BCR?

You could run the 1000 point army I wrote about recently on the blog.

http://plasticcraic.blog/2020/05/22/matched-play-at-1000-points/

And the cost of a Start Collecting isn't much more than a Stonehorn, so you'd actually end up with a viable 2000 point army too:

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

thanks for the advice, currently i don't have the manual at hand and i don't know anything about ogor, i'm undecided between 1000 flesh eaters points and 1000 ogre points.

about the ogres I would like to play with magicians heroes who support my melee units (both troops and cavalry), I don't particularly like the hordes (no gnoobars) I prefer to play elite armies

1 hour ago, Ciotola said:

thanks for the advice, currently i don't have the manual at hand and i don't know anything about ogor, i'm undecided between 1000 flesh eaters points and 1000 ogre points.

about the ogres I would like to play with magicians heroes who support my melee units (both troops and cavalry), I don't particularly like the hordes (no gnoobars) I prefer to play elite armies

If that’s the playstyle then it’s probably the bloodgullut tribe. It’s all about the magicians (they get an extra spell and can do two spells instead of one each turn). The butchers also get an extra command ability to improve the ogor gluttons. So 12 gluttons with a butcher is a very solid start to an bloodgullut army. 

but the gutbusters are more expensive than the beastclaw. But if they are more fun go for it. 
small tip though. Ogor gluttons will increase in price in June. So you might want to order some this weekend. I personally ordered some stuff from element games. Great service and a small discount on everything. 

42 minutes ago, Kramer said:

If that’s the playstyle then it’s probably the bloodgullut tribe. It’s all about the magicians (they get an extra spell and can do two spells instead of one each turn). The butchers also get an extra command ability to improve the ogor gluttons. So 12 gluttons with a butcher is a very solid start to an bloodgullut army. 

but the gutbusters are more expensive than the beastclaw. But if they are more fun go for it. 
small tip though. Ogor gluttons will increase in price in June. So you might want to order some this weekend. I personally ordered some stuff from element games. Great service and a small discount on everything. 

more expensive in terms of money or scores for what they do on the field? 

Edited by Ciotola

2 hours ago, Ciotola said:

more expensive in terms of money or scores for what they do on the field? 

Money. I personal think strength wise it’s equal. But beastclaw was certainly getting closer to top podiums before the pandemic. 

edit: 

some rough calculations.  For bcr you have a solid list with 3 start collecting a. But you likely want a butcher or a hunter with cats or something to give you options. So that’s roughly between 210 and 260 euros. 
for gutbusters in bloodgullut an example list could be: 1 butchers, 2 slaughtermaster, 2x12 gluttons, 8 ironguts and 2 leadbelchers (for the battalion). That would be 260 euros and I’m assuming you’d convert the two slaughtermasters from the two left over leadbelchers. But that’s 1880 after the battalion so you’d want something extra.

both are full retail so you could easily get 15% off through something like elemental games or more through second hand. But that goes for both  and for that reason I didn’t include the cost for mawpot and the book  

Edited by Kramer

ty all  .

this is my start :

2 unit of 6 gluttons  (or 1 unit of 9 and 1 of 3) 480 pt

1 tyrant (possible conversion to butcher)  140/160 pt

4 kitty  80 pt

extra cp 50 pt

tot 750/770 pt 

now I will have to read the manual to understand the rules and how to equip the leader, if you have any advice they are welcome on a 750 pt starting list to be expanded to a 1k points

d4fdf25b-5752-418d-a4e4-2acba60d4720.jpg.2ef41105aeda1a6e23a3d921b986d382.jpg

edit : how do i dress my gluttons?

all with double weapon or ironfist?
can i play a mixed unit to have a couple of ironfists and the rest double weapon?

i was thinking of converting 4 glutton to ironguts, buying a body on ebay.

list with ironguts:

leader

butcher 140 pt

9 glutton 360pt

4 ironguts 220 pt

4 kitty 80 pt

800 pt+ another hero on foot-> 940/960 pt

Edited by Ciotola
information

5 hours ago, Ciotola said:

ty all  .

this is my start :

2 unit of 6 gluttons  (or 1 unit of 9 and 1 of 3) 480 pt

1 tyrant (possible conversion to butcher)  140/160 pt

4 kitty  80 pt

extra cp 50 pt

tot 750/770 pt 

now I will have to read the manual to understand the rules and how to equip the leader, if you have any advice they are welcome on a 750 pt starting list to be expanded to a 1k points

d4fdf25b-5752-418d-a4e4-2acba60d4720.jpg.2ef41105aeda1a6e23a3d921b986d382.jpg

edit : how do i dress my gluttons?

all with double weapon or ironfist?
can i play a mixed unit to have a couple of ironfists and the rest double weapon?

i was thinking of converting 4 glutton to ironguts, buying a body on ebay.

list with ironguts:

leader

butcher 140 pt

9 glutton 360pt

4 ironguts 220 pt

4 kitty 80 pt

800 pt+ another hero on foot-> 940/960 pt

You either want to run the gluttons as 4x3 or 1x12. The big block of twelve gets the horde discount so is only 400 points it also gets mortal wounds on a 4+. The four units of three allows more flexibility and chances to proc the charge mortal wounds

In terms of loadout it’s all one or the other. Generally speaking iron fists in smaller units and double weapons in larger units. That said you don’t end up building many of either in certain blocks. In a 12 man unit you can run 4 standard bears, 2 musicians and a leader. So there’s only 5 of the 12 man unit with the weapon load out 

30 minutes ago, James101 said:

You either want to run the gluttons as 4x3 or 1x12. The big block of twelve gets the horde discount so is only 400 points it also gets mortal wounds on a 4+. The four units of three allows more flexibility and chances to proc the charge mortal wounds

In terms of loadout it’s all one or the other. Generally speaking iron fists in smaller units and double weapons in larger units. That said you don’t end up building many of either in certain blocks. In a 12 man unit you can run 4 standard bears, 2 musicians and a leader. So there’s only 5 of the 12 man unit with the weapon load out 

the command group cannot take weapon options then?

i run 1 leader (dual weapon or ironfist ?)
bellower (1 weapon)
icon (1 weapon ) 
other guy (2 weapon or ironfist ) 

it's right ?

42 minutes ago, Ciotola said:
the command group cannot take weapon options then?

i run 1 leader (dual weapon or ironfist ?)
bellower (1 weapon)
icon (1 weapon ) 
other guy (2 weapon or ironfist ) 

it's right ?

He means the whole unit counts as having one or the other. 
command group still count as having the same weapons as the rest of the unit, unless specifically stated otherwise in the description. 

ao the whole unit gets double hand weapons or ironfists. 

Yeah the command group still count as having the weapon option. They just don’t look like it from how their built (you can’t give the standard bearer miniature either an iron fist or the second weapon because he’s holding the pole). So in a unit of 12 you only have 5 which look like they have a second weapon / iron fist. The whole squad of 12 counts as if they have them though. 

Of course, you can just optionally build less standard bearers and musicians. Which is more flexible (as easier to then field them in units of 3) but slightly worse when you run them as a 12

Hi everyone. Sorry for my English. Hi everyone. Sorry for my English. Tell me, I want to start play ogors. I like both gutbusteras and beastclaw riders. What boxes should I buy for variety and competitive play?(750-2000 pts)

1 hour ago, uratourist said:

So, I have an old Ogre kingdoms box and I found that I can make a perfect 1000 list if I just add heros. Would this be a decent starting point?

-1 Tyrant

-1 Butcher

-6 Gluttons

-4 Ironguts

-4 leadbelchers

-20 Gnoblars

It's got some good stuff in it. You get a Tyrant, Butcher, 20 Gnoblars and 4 Ironguts. You won't need another tyrant and most likely wont need more gnoblars.  You'll need more Gluttons and/or Belchers in the future, but it's nice that you have some to start with. 

19 minutes ago, kolos said:

Hi everyone. Sorry for my English. Hi everyone. Sorry for my English. Tell me, I want to start play ogors. I like both gutbusteras and beastclaw riders. What boxes should I buy for variety and competitive play?(750-2000 pts)

The Beastclaw Start Collecting gives a good amount, a few of those will give you a lot. Gluttons are good, Butchers/Slaughtermasters are great, Ironguts are awesome, Stonehorns are amazing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MKsmash said:

It's got some good stuff in it. You get a Tyrant, Butcher, 20 Gnoblars and 4 Ironguts. You won't need another tyrant and most likely wont need more gnoblars.  You'll need more Gluttons and/or Belchers in the future, but it's nice that you have some to start with. 

The Beastclaw Start Collecting gives a good amount, a few of those will give you a lot. Gluttons are good, Butchers/Slaughtermasters are great, Ironguts are awesome, Stonehorns are amazing.

Yeah! The box didn’t come with the heroes, but it came with everything else so it was a fairly good deal with my local shop still have it. Would  getting some kitties be better than getting more gnoblars? Just for screening and what not

How would an Archregent/Ghoul King (on foot) be for a mercenary ally? Obviously, I'd be taking it for the command point and the fact that Flesh-Eaters are the only ones that are as hungry as the ogres. I like the fluff aspect of the two working together, but are the extra bodies necessary?

21 hours ago, uratourist said:

Yeah! The box didn’t come with the heroes, but it came with everything else so it was a fairly good deal with my local shop still have it. Would  getting some kitties be better than getting more gnoblars? Just for screening and what not

You probably won't need more Gnoblars, so kitties are a good option. They're good for taking with an Icebrow Hunter to deepstrike in the backline. They're not really made for screening.

3 hours ago, MKsmash said:

You probably won't need more Gnoblars, so kitties are a good option. They're good for taking with an Icebrow Hunter to deepstrike in the backline. They're not really made for screening.

I use them for screening and it’s pro’s and cons. 
pro: they can move up fast enough so you can move forward and screen for turn two. They are great for late objective grabbing. The biggest pro, for me, is that in combination with a icebrow hunter it gives me great flexibility during set up. Set them all up in ambush, only the hunter and cats as screens and setting up everything on the table. and until I declare what I’m doing my opponent needs to account for all three options. 
cons: less bodies than gnoblars, less of a tarpit. especially in combo with a tyrant. 

imo they work great as screens. But pros and cons to both.