AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

On 2/20/2020 at 12:35 AM, grimgold said:

So getting back into AoS after selling off my nighthaunt, I have two SC: BCR boxes and the Ogor half of feast of bones, and probably an extra box (I was thinking leadbelchers to give me some options). So I was thinking something along the lines of the attached list, do you guys think there is a better way to configure the models, like should I grab a box of iron guts instead of leadbelchers?

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Thunderbellies
LEADERS
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- General
- Command Trait : Storm Chaser
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Shatterstone
- Mount Trait : Black Clatterhorn

Tyrant (160)
- Artefact : Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols
- Big Name : Fateseeker

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
1 x Ironblaster (120)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)

- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
BEHEMOTHS
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)
BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

OMTonthecheap

Competitive-wise, Ironguts are much stronger than mournfang in damage output. I would suggest keeping the two handed weapons of your mournfang and pick up 1 or 2 extra units of gluttons and kitbash the weapons onto there to turn them into ironguts. The leftover mournfang bits can still be built using glutton leftover bits and some cutting to create 1-handed variations mournfang for friendly games.

Edit: Also frostlord on stonehorns are stronger than huskards. Somebody did all the calculations on this forum a few weeks ago. So dont glue your huskard and create both a frostlord and huskard so you can swap them around in the future if rules change. They sit on the stonehorn quite stable anyways without glue.

Lastly, I think 2 frostlords on stonehorns are superior to a huskard + beastriders in general.

Edited by Kugane

6 hours ago, Ruvich said:

Did anyone gave Hrothgorn's Mantrappers a go in their Roster? If so, what's your experiences/opinion's about him?

I have used them in two battles recently. First was against a graywater fastness army and hrothgorn was awesome.....ambushed the runelord then made their way over to the cogsmith, took him out then held the objective.

Second battle was against bonereapers......hrothgorn was flattened by katakros but I spaced the gnoblars out 12" away to gain the objective so kinda sacrificed him in that one. The hidden trap killed 3 mortek guard too.

He is pretty good for 160pts. Great for ambushing wizards, the frost saber is useful for grasp of the everwinter if he survives till next hero phase. Bit disappointed with the harpoon trap launcher....it needs a minus 1 rend to be fair.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gutlord said:

I have used them in two battles recently. First was against a graywater fastness army and hrothgorn was awesome.....ambushed the runelord then made their way over to the cogsmith, took him out then held the objective.

Second battle was against bonereapers......hrothgorn was flattened by katakros but I spaced the gnoblars out 12" away to gain the objective so kinda sacrificed him in that one. The hidden trap killed 3 mortek guard too.

He is pretty good for 160pts. Great for ambushing wizards, the frost saber is useful for grasp of the everwinter if he survives till next hero phase. Bit disappointed with the harpoon trap launcher....it needs a minus 1 rend to be fair.

Noice! That's Pretty great to hear that he might find some double uses in underworlds as well as in pitched battle. Is it possible to integrate him into a skal, since he uses the "Icebrow Hunter" Keyword ?

30 minutes ago, Ruvich said:

Noice! That's Pretty great to hear that he might find some double uses in underworlds as well as in pitched battle. Is it possible to integrate him into a skal, since he uses the "Icebrow Hunter" Keyword ?

Not the keyword unfortunately, it as to be bold, so it's just the name "Icebrow hunter" 

• Thanks 1

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

Thinking of doing this list instead of the more common Boulderhead list I was thinking of.

Its somehow just really calling me.

• Like 2

0aab1cd65c791d8db84cef02716f92b5.png

Heya! I've got a 1000pt tournament coming up, and this is the list I'm going to bring. The only thing I can't decide on is whether to give my FLoSH a Thermalrider Cloak or an Ethereal Amulet. Thermalrider does make my FLoSH a very fast boi, but Ethereal Amulet makes him not die ever which is kind of nice. I've used Ethereal once before against Stormcast and I tabled my opponent but did end up losing on points. What's the consensus on Thermalrider vs Ethereal? I'm not sure what the local meta is, but meeting at least SC and OBR is a safe bet.

I can only really change around the traits/artefacts on the FLoSH and the Mawtribe, because these are all the models I've built and painted so far.

Edited by Alfcam

3 hours ago, Alfcam said:

0aab1cd65c791d8db84cef02716f92b5.png

Heya! I've got a 1000pt tournament coming up, and this is the list I'm going to bring. The only thing I can't decide on is whether to give my FLoSH a Thermalrider Cloak or an Ethereal Amulet. Thermalrider does make my FLoSH a very fast boi, but Ethereal Amulet makes him not die ever which is kind of nice. I've used Ethereal once before against Stormcast and I tabled my opponent but did end up losing on points. What's the consensus on Thermalrider vs Ethereal? I'm not sure what the local meta is, but meeting at least SC and OBR is a safe bet.

I can only really change around the traits/artefacts on the FLoSH and the Mawtribe, because these are all the models I've built and painted so far.

He is your only hero so I think you have to go Ethereal for the survivability. Frostfell aura or Nomadic Raider both sound pretty good to me for traits. 

• Thanks 1

Quick question (and I know this has been discussed but would like confirmation)......if your gluttons are equipped with iron fists and are struck by a -2 rend attack, can you still roll your saves? (even though its impossible to actually save and prevent losing wounds) I go up against ossiarch bonereapers a lot and they dish out loads of high rend attacks....was hoping to roll a ton of 6s before small 3 man blocks of gluttons go down.

47 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Quick question (and I know this has been discussed but would like confirmation)......if your gluttons are equipped with iron fists and are struck by a -2 rend attack, can you still roll your saves? (even though its impossible to actually save and prevent losing wounds) I go up against ossiarch bonereapers a lot and they dish out loads of high rend attacks....was hoping to roll a ton of 6s before small 3 man blocks of gluttons go down.

Yes the order is roll the dice (same goes for to hit etc), then do your rerolls. Then apply modifiers and unmodified effects. 

so for you you roll the X amount of saves. Say you have mystic shield on them for more chances at a six and he has minus 1 rend. he does 6 wounds. 
the order then is:

you roll 6 dice. You re-roll the 1’s. Then you look at the dice and apply the modifiers and count the number of unmodified 6’s. 

Edited by Kramer

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

No worries.
I don’t know how powerful it will be but you could even try for a triumph and try for  the re-roll every saves. But it’s a 1 in 6 chance. But it would be good though. 

Yeah, I used big 12 blocks of gluttons with double weapons against OBR and I only took down 1 mortek guard out of 10! So I think MW is the way to go against armies like that. I was thinking lots of small units of gluttons with iron  fists to use as screens?

1 hour ago, Gutlord said:

Yeah, I used big 12 blocks of gluttons with double weapons against OBR and I only took down 1 mortek guard out of 10! So I think MW is the way to go against armies like that. I was thinking lots of small units of gluttons with iron  fists to use as screens?

Maybe as screens but... then for 100 gnoblars you have more space covered. More bodies. Or frost sabres that are so much faster than OBR. 

This is all theory on my part but from what I’ve seen and heard mortek still fold against rend. So I’d rather save the points and go big on ironguts and a butcher with the ribcracker (? -1 sabe spell)

I just don’t like fishing for sixes. 😅

edit: just as a general afterthought. Gluttons are simply a bad matchup to mortek guard. Pretty much every ogor unit in the book is a better match up due to having rend. 

Edited by Kramer

1 hour ago, Gutlord said:

The interesting thing with ironfists are that you do all save rolls before allocating wounds, meaning that someone can overkill you and you return based on the total damage. Gluttons of 3 suck because they don't get banners and bellowers. 

If you run into a buffed 20 man unit of mortek and they bombard you with attacks it might work, but this is very situational and still costs you 120p. Against -1 rend (so only saving on 6), 12 gluttons return ~9.3 mw before dying. 3 gluttons would return 2.3 mw. For this to work you need your opponent to really overkill you to make any real difference and it's easily played around, e.g. by not piling in with the mortek.

8 hours ago, Sauriv said:

The interesting thing with ironfists are that you do all save rolls before allocating wounds, meaning that someone can overkill you and you return based on the total damage. Gluttons of 3 suck because they don't get banners and bellowers. 

If you run into a buffed 20 man unit of mortek and they bombard you with attacks it might work, but this is very situational and still costs you 120p. Against -1 rend (so only saving on 6), 12 gluttons return ~9.3 mw before dying. 3 gluttons would return 2.3 mw. For this to work you need your opponent to really overkill you to make any real difference and it's easily played around, e.g. by not piling in with the mortek.

Cheers for the advice guys, been proper sulking over versing bonereapers, ha (my brother in law battles me every week with them and wins every time). Might have to build an underguts list?.....🤔

26 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Cheers for the advice guys, been proper sulking over versing bonereapers, ha (my brother in law battles me every week with them and wins every time). Might have to build an underguts list?.....🤔

Shooting should get them pretty well. Sniping out their support too. basically fighting mortek guard of any shape or form head on will be a loss for almost any unit in the game. Try and avoid it and if you do, maximise your positioning and movement so you can attack with all your unit and they cant pile in far enough to get all their attacks back in. <this works best with BCR cause of being monsters

3 hours ago, Arcce said:

Shooting should get them pretty well. Sniping out their support too. basically fighting mortek guard of any shape or form head on will be a loss for almost any unit in the game. Try and avoid it and if you do, maximise your positioning and movement so you can attack with all your unit and they cant pile in far enough to get all their attacks back in. <this works best with BCR cause of being monsters

Cheers mate. Will consider the shooting approach and if it comes to combat leadbelchers are pretty hard anyway