AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

5 hours ago, Karragon said:

The new Thundertusk shooting attack is underwhelming against anything that isn't 20+ models, which isn't all that common.

Wait what armies are you usually playing? I close to never see max sized units unless it’s utility units like khinarai or when playing against elite armies like gutbusters and stormcast. 

3 hours ago, FPC said:

For some reason gargant hackers remained 4+ to hit, so it seems like clubs/prey hackers are the way to go. That being said, if you need rend, gargant hackers should be fine.

EDIT: just did some quick maths. Against a 4+ with nothing special (rerolls for anything, FnP type saves, etc.) their damage is nearly identical. And, you’re actually going to average more damage with the tusks.

That’s kind of how it always was. The gargant hackers were just less reliable and if they both roughly do the same. People chose clubs. Now with more buff options and 4 mournfang units I’m happy with my gargant hackers all of the sudden 😆

New list idea. I like the idea behind Boulderhead enhancing the Frostlord. I was looking at a Eurlbad but I didnt have the wound count or bodies I liked. This is more of a hybrid. I could drop the TTusk and Gnoblars to add in other stuff maybe.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
Icebrow Hunter (120)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
Skal (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 140

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

New list idea. I like the idea behind Boulderhead enhancing the Frostlord. I was looking at a Eurlbad but I didnt have the wound count or bodies I liked. This is more of a hybrid. I could drop the TTusk and Gnoblars to add in other stuff maybe.

- General
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
Icebrow Hunter (120)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
Skal (100)

Wounds: 140

Yeah I have similar  boulderhead  list idea but I think you definitely want to run double FLoSH as the brand is such an stonehorn based melee artifact. Plus FLoSH can potentially live long enough to make use of the CA to still fight at top bracket. 

12 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Yeah I have similar  boulderhead  list idea but I think you definitely want to run double FLoSH as the brand is such an stonehorn based melee artifact. Plus FLoSH can potentially live long enough to make use of the CA to still fight at top bracket. 

True but I like the HoTTusk for the range and he can get Hailstorm better which is just more MWs flying around. But I see what your saying. Im going to play around on warscroll builder some more

11 hours ago, HostilSpike said:

Is it really worth going Boulderhead when you're already getting the second Mount Trait from your battalion?

Its more for the other bonuses then just the additional mount traits

Okay went a bit of a different direction with this list. Should look appropriately terrifying on the table. Maximize on those Trampling Charge and Grasp of the Everwinter roles. MWs all over the place  

Leaders
- General
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Icebrow Hunter (120)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
Eurlbad (140)

Wounds: 108

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Okay went a bit of a different direction with this list. Should look appropriately terrifying on the table. Maximize on those Trampling Charge and Grasp of the Everwinter roles. MWs all over the place  

Leaders
- General
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Icebrow Hunter (120)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
Eurlbad (140)

Wounds: 108

Reply seems to have disappeared, apologies if both appear. Was suggesting that as hunter and cats don’t benefit from anything in the mawtribe, and your goal is to maximise trampling charge etc, and that I think you want to maximise monster heroes in boulderhead, I would drop the hunter, cats, and one of the mournfang pairs for another FLoSH with the black clatterhorn trait, and potentially move the brand to him. Also only three 3 drops in all.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

2 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Reply seems to have disappeared, apologies if both appear. Was suggesting that as hunter and cats don’t benefit from anything in the mawtribe, and your goal is to maximise trampling charge etc, and that I think you want to maximise monster heroes in boulderhead, I would drop the hunter, cats, and one of the mournfang pairs for another FLoSH with the black clatterhorn trait, and potentially move the brand to him. Also only three 3 drops in all.

Ahh I see what your saying. The reason for the Hunter + kitties was a bit of tactical flexibility if such a thing exists with Destruction lol deepstrike and all that but another big beasty could work too  

edit: just made up that list real quick and 86 wounds is kinda low but the stonehorns can be tough

Edited by Malakithe

I painted up this ogor on maw-krusha as a gordrakk stand in as ogors are the true masters of destruction, then they changed his warscroll  and we can not ally him in  Now he nevers sees the board anymore unless I go full fat destruction and lose those MW on charge 😭

IMG_20191116_190954-01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

10 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Ahh I see what your saying. The reason for the Hunter + kitties was a bit of tactical flexibility if such a thing exists with Destruction lol deepstrike and all that but another big beasty could work too  

edit: just made up that list real quick and 86 wounds is kinda low but the stonehorns can be tough

I would be more concerned that a single unit of chaff could hold up all of your charges and potentially cause you to get counter charged and never trample for the rest of the game.

6 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Am I blind or is there no note in the book as to battleline SH / TT not counting against the behemoth limit? I don’t want to buy more models unless I know I can run some fun lists so hopefully I’m either missing it or they will FAQ. 

thinking 

HoSH

2x HoTT

3x SHBR

20 gnoblar 

Yes, you can do this. You can even do something crazy like:

FLoSH

FLoSH

SHBR

SHBR

SHBR

SHBR

On 11/14/2019 at 3:30 PM, Skoll said:

Has there been any consideration of allying troggoth units other than the hag? 

The book has some issues with armor, so i was considering perhaps 1 or 2 units of rockguts (who are really just too cheap for what they do) to goon around and crack armor, they also have mortal wound potential and if memory serves me right. They can even swing from behind a line of gluttons.

I’m gonna run a unit of 6 Rockgut Troggoths regardless of effectiveness, just because I love the models. Seriously, when I was flipping through the books I freaked out when I saw I could ally them. It was the open play day for our local AoS group and one of the people there said that their favorite part of the day was seeing just how happy I was with that.

I’ll tell you about it when I get a chance to run them but it will be a while before I do. I’m getting to the “I don’t want to play with unpainted models” stage of the hobby and I’m still lagging behind on my other armies.

To me it looks like as long as you have your battle line taxes covered, they should be able to be run in place of Leadbelchers.

• Like 1

After playing with my Gutbusters for the first time I'm reconsidering my stance on Mournfangs. I thought they were okay. But Gluttons and Ironguts are so much better as a battleline units that it's not even funny. On the other hand. If they gave 3+ to hit across the board to Mournfang why would you ever take Ironguts? For 220 vs 280 you get 3 more inches of movement and two types of attacks.  On the charge you would have gotten 24 3+/3+/-1/3 (assuming you had a Huskhorn nearby) attacks. Ironguts in groups of 4 only get 13 swings

I think GW realized this and decided to keep the 4+ on the Mournfang on the "irongutsy" weapons so they don't take their role. But now we have a unit that simply won't get better with points drop. Because they are an elite battleline unit. So dropping the points so far that they are worth it is silly.

I think Mournfang should have gotten monster charges from a spell/prayer/CA (if Rhinox can do it with a spell Mournfang should as well). And 1 extra inch of movement so it rounds out at 10 (12 out of combat) to compensate for the crappy hits.

Edited by Pitloze

1 hour ago, Pitloze said:

After playing with my Gutbusters for the first time I'm reconsidering my stance on Mournfangs. I thought they were okay. But Gluttons and Ironguts are so much better as a battleline units that it's not even funny. On the other hand. If they gave 3+ to hit across the board to Mournfang why would you ever take Ironguts? For 220 vs 280 you get 3 more inches of movement and two types of attacks.  On the charge you would have gotten 24 3+/3+/-1/3 (assuming you had a Huskhorn nearby) attacks. Ironguts in groups of 4 only get 13 swings

I think GW realized this and decided to keep the 4+ on the Mournfang on the "irongutsy" weapons so they don't take their role. But now we have a unit that simply won't get better with points drop. Because they are an elite battleline unit. So dropping the points so far that they are worth it is silly.

I think Mournfang should have gotten monster charges from a spell/prayer/CA (if Rhinox can do it with a spell Mournfang should as well). And 1 extra inch of movement so it rounds out at 10 (12 out of combat) to compensate for the crappy hits.

I played my first two games with the new book last night and sadly have to agree with you. I love Mournfang but they just feel worse than all of the other options available. Their strength appears to be mobility but their faster base movement seems a lot less relevant now that everything else is moving that extra 3" for being Hungry.

Only counting as 2 models for objectives despite the huge bases also means that they really struggle contesting objectives vs chaff.

1 hour ago, HostilSpike said:

I played my first two games with the new book last night and sadly have to agree with you. I love Mournfang but they just feel worse than all of the other options available. Their strength appears to be mobility but their faster base movement seems a lot less relevant now that everything else is moving that extra 3" for being Hungry.

Only counting as 2 models for objectives despite the huge bases also means that they really struggle contesting objectives vs chaff.

Only 2 games with Ogors so far but I’ve loved Mournfang. A few things not mentioned that I like about them compared to Ironguts:

-Built in Ironfist. Mournfang are going to be in the thick of things, and reflecting the occasional mortal is nice. 

-+1 to charge. Not huge but when you fail an Irongut charge by an inch it’ll feel huge.

-Extra speed. 6” vs. 9” might not seem huge but I think it is. In Boulderhead near the general Mournfang are moving 12” when hungry (its +2”, not 3). Plus if you really want to pile on, 3” from keening gale if you’re lucky.

-Buffs available to Mournfang and effect of various buffs.  Some great stuff out there for them.  Attacks from blood feast for both weapons (I know Ironguts have the bite but that’s only doing 1 damage), Huskard to-wound buff (somewhat helping with the 4+ to hit of the tusks),  extra damage from HoSH, Keening Gale. 

-Footprint. Mournfang are better at board control, tho this can make them a bit unwieldy.

Boulderhead only gives other Monsters the extra movement. Thunderbellies is the "Mournfang" tribe. This is the fastest Mournfang setup I can think of:

1. Take Jorlbad and don't roll bad.

2. Go tribeless and take Touched by the Everwinter to make your Huskard on Stonehorn a priest and let him pray for the 3" extra movement. Also don't roll bad.

3. Get a butcher near the great mawpot to cast Chronomatic Cogs. Don't roll bad.

Thunderbellies is kind of a trap. Wholly within 12" with a decent amount of terrain on the board makes it a lot harder to do than you think. Also, since Stonehorns lost run and charge they can actually outrun the Stonehorns. You don't want that. You want Both the Huskard AND the mournfang pack to impact at in the same turn so you can use the command ability for the Tusk damage.

I would argue that point #2 is worse than taking boulderhead for the amazing artefact and decent command ability.

A word of warning, don't put your whole army into their face turn 1 even  though you can. Think in waves. Because you don't want to blow your turn fighting chaff.

1 hour ago, Pitloze said:

Boulderhead only gives other Monsters the extra movement. Thunderbellies is the "Mournfang" tribe. This is the fastest Mournfang setup I can think of:

1. Take Jorlbad and don't roll bad.

2. Go tribeless and take Touched by the Everwinter to make your Huskard on Stonehorn a priest and let him pray for the 3" extra movement. Also don't roll bad.

3. Get a butcher near the great mawpot to cast Chronomatic Cogs. Don't roll bad.

Thunderbellies is kind of a trap. Wholly within 12" with a decent amount of terrain on the board makes it a lot harder to do than you think. Also, since Stonehorns lost run and charge they can actually outrun the Stonehorns. You don't want that. You want Both the Huskard AND the mournfang pack to impact at in the same turn so you can use the command ability for the Tusk damage.

I would argue that point #2 is worse than taking boulderhead for the amazing artefact and decent command ability.

A word of warning, don't put your whole army into their face turn 1 even  though you can. Think in waves. Because you don't want to blow your turn fighting chaff.

Right, missed the monster only part.  I would probably say loading so much into making Mournfangs as fast as possible is also a trap. It won’t necessarily be the best idea to speed them up and just charge head long into enemy lines (as you’ve said).  I was just suggesting before that their additional move over Ironguts is nice, and in a pinch you can get them up to higher speeds.

Totally agree that if you’re going to run any number of big beasties, Boulderhead is ideal.

• Like 2

I just received My first (2) SC! BCR and what???? WTF GW??? The assembling instruction manual only include the FLoSH ???? What? I order a full kit, yes, it is in a SC§ but GW doesn't include the full assembing? What is it this new way a treating your customes? It was the same in FoB not including the Immortis build. Is this a new habit of GW?

Is there someone with the pdf of full assembing of the Thundertusk&mounting options(dual seats etc..)?

PS: found it elsewhere (I hope it is complete) but this is unacceptable from GW

Edited by GeneralZero
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

I just received My first (2) SC! BCR and what???? WTF GW??? The assembling instruction manual only include the FLoSH ???? What? I order a full kit, yes, it is in a SC§ but GW doesn't include the full assembing? What is it this new way a treating your customes? It was the same in FoB not including the Immortis build. Is this a new habit of GW?

Is there someone with the pdf of full assembing of the Thundertusk&mounting options(dual seats etc..)?

PS: found it elsewhere (I hope it is complete) but this is unacceptable from GW

Not at all uncommon I'm afraid.  They include a different set of instructions with the boxed sets based on what it's supposed to make (read: what is depicted on the box).  I don't know if this is universal.   Can't recall if the Feast of Bones instructions has the Gnoblar launcher instructions in it.  Honestly tho, if you're ever lacking instructions, just email GW.  They're fairly easy to acquire.  There is also a reddit page that posts many.

54 minutes ago, FPC said:

Not at all uncommon I'm afraid.  They include a different set of instructions with the boxed sets based on what it's supposed to make (read: what is depicted on the box).  I don't know if this is universal.   Can't recall if the Feast of Bones instructions has the Gnoblar launcher instructions in it.  Honestly tho, if you're ever lacking instructions, just email GW.  They're fairly easy to acquire.  There is also a reddit page that posts many.

The FoB only came with the Ironblaster instructions, but the frames are the same so you still get to take advantage of the Scraplauncher parts in kitbashing.

• Like 1