AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

How does everyone here rate Huskard on Thundertusk in  Boulderhead with Alvagr Ancient? It seems like a decent support piece for your FLOSH. It's prayer isn't super reliable but on turns where you roll decent with your Ice and prayer + Vulture it splashes a decent amount of mortal wounds. It also brings some strike last support.

6 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

How does everyone here rate Huskard on Thundertusk in  Boulderhead with Alvagr Ancient? It seems like a decent support piece for your FLOSH. It's prayer isn't super reliable but on turns where you roll decent with your Ice and prayer + Vulture it splashes a decent amount of mortal wounds. It also brings some strike last support.

In my last few matches, I've been running Thundertusks because those are the models I have until the Stonehorns make it to the painting table.  They've performed much better than my expectations.  In both of my last 2 games, my Huskard on TT has been a champ.  Those mortal wounds add up, and the +1 to wound prayer has helped the Frostlord push through.

Alvagr Ancient was an all-star.  I was running it on my FLoTT, and it helped to compensate for his shortcomings relative to a FLoSH.  It created an unsolvable problem for my opponent, who had no shooting and no way to push my monsters off the objective, other than to just push in and give me the advantage.

However, Alvagr Ancient always needs support.  It obviously doesn't do much if it's on a HoTT with nothing but fists and tusks to strike first.  In my case, I at least had the Frostlord on top and the Brand of the Svard to get some work done before priority came back around.  In the ideal case, I'm not running my combat hero on a TT, so I would always need to make sure that I have other hard-hitting assets around to punish opponents for pushing in to my Huskard.

Edited by elescapo
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, elescapo said:

In my last few matches, I've been running Thundertusks because those are the models I have until the Stonehorns make it to the painting table.  They've performed much better than my expectations.  In both of my last 2 games, my Huskard on TT has been a champ.  Those mortal wounds add up, and the +1 to wound prayer has helped the Frostlord push through.

Alvagr Ancient was an all-star.  I was running it on my FLoTT, and it helped to compensate for his shortcomings relative to a FLoSH.  It created an unsolvable problem for my opponent, who had no shooting and no way to push my monsters off the objective, other than to just push in and give me the advantage.

However, Alvagr Ancient always needs support.  It obviously doesn't do much if it's on a HoTT with nothing but fists and tusks to strike first.  In my case, I at least had the Frostlord on top and the Brand of the Svard to get some work done before priority came back around.  In the ideal case, I'm not running my combat hero on a TT, so I would always need to make sure that I have other hard-hitting assets around to punish opponents for pushing in to my Huskard.

Thanks for sharing! I'm taking that idea to heart with the below list. The Huskard on TT is there to support the Stonehorns and like you said, to also control objectives. The Ironguts are there to control the midfield and to cleanup after the Stonehorns. I think it creates a lot of problems for your opponents. The 8 man Ironguts cannot be ignored. If they get a charge off at full strength, they are a force. Big screening armies will be a struggle but I think it has tools to compete with most lists.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Warbossironteef
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Forrix said:

So the GW website now has Slaughtermasters being listed as sold with 50mm round bases. Anyone order one recently and can confirm? I working on a proxy one and want to get the base right.

Slaughtermaster or butcher? Because I can tell you now the slaughternmaster ain’t gonna fit and needs an oval. 

12 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Thanks for sharing! I'm taking that idea to heart with the below list. The Huskard on TT is there to support the Stonehorns and like you said, to also control objectives. The Ironguts are there to control the midfield and to cleanup after the Stonehorns. I think it creates a lot of problems for your opponents. The 8 man Ironguts cannot be ignored. If they get a charge off at full strength, they are a force. Big screening armies will be a struggle but I think it has tools to compete with most lists.

Capture.JPG

The toughest units out there will laugh off the 2 FLoSH still, unfortunately. If both of them contact a unit of 30 Hearthguard Berzerkers and get off all their attacks before being degraded by the counterswing, they'll only kill less than 6 on average. The counterswing will maim or kill one, and the first attack on the opponent's turn will certainly finish one off, and the other will struggle to kill even 2 after being degraded and missing the charge damage.

Then there's the next 30...

OTOH, 8 Bloodfeasted Ironguts will outdamage both FLoSHs by themselves on the same target, but still only kill about 9.

Edited by EldritchX

Please I need some info, I want to start a competitive army , I know mawtribes are not top tier, but what do you think of that list?

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes (underguts)

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack

Battleline
4 x Ironguts (220)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)

Battalions
Butcher's Band (140)

Total: 1500 
Allies: 0 / 300
Wounds: 103

I think is an awesome volume of shooting, that would deal with things like KoS or bonereapers shooting down heroes.

But I need some feed back before I buy 2 more ironblasters hehe

Edited by peasant

16 hours ago, EldritchX said:

The toughest units out there will laugh off the 2 FLoSH still, unfortunately. If both of them contact a unit of 30 Hearthguard Berzerkers and get off all their attacks before being degraded by the counterswing, they'll only kill less than 6 on average. The counterswing will maim or kill one, and the first attack on the opponent's turn will certainly finish one off, and the other will struggle to kill even 2 after being degraded and missing the charge damage.

If both contact a unit of bezerkers they average 3,5 mortal wounds after the 4+ save, not the biggest difference but you forgot that part.

byt you also picked a fight you shouldn’t be taking on.  Which btw is 150% the point cost of one stonehorn so they better be good ;) your argument still stands imo but that’s 600pts + a hero of minimum 100pts. And as with any Death Star unit you should take apart it’s synergies or evade. 
Which is easier said than done. 

For reference this is what the damage is on a plain stonehorn on the charge, no traits or artefacts included and before the hearthguard after save. 
DAFB9FFA-E897-4ECE-A4AF-79B1ADC05CBB.png.d247851af7de828a61954f3b51cb92e1.png

• Like 1

Honstly, that seems pretty optimized for competitive, for the shooting style. I haven't actually seen someone play it though.

Some people like the tyrants gutguard instead of the butchers band. Then you could drop the gluttons for more leadbelchers to further lean into your advantage. I'm not sure its worth it though. 

I'm also not sure you need the extra command point. The only thing you want to do, really, is double shoot the cannons, so you really only need 1 per turn. Maybe some wolves for screening or suicide objective grabs. Maybe you can fiddle in 20 gnoblars for a bigger screen. 

Let me know how it works out...  I'm intrigued, as I haven't seen many competitive players with the underguts. It is kinda a build-itself tribe, but that doesn't mean it isn't strong.

• Like 1

Having played with Tyrant's Gutguard quite a bit outside of Underguts I find it just not worth it. The Tyrant, although a very cool model, just whiffs too easily. And his command ability is kinda niche now that bravery is less of a thing for Ogors. And I only use MSU gnoblars so I don't get much use out of him there. His dmg is there but the attacks are just too few. I tried a few artefacts on him but the only one that was worth it I felt was the Bloodgullet artefact. So he can heal the dmg he causes to the ironguts lol.

With the sky titan pistols he can clear out chaff. But meh. outside of Underguts (he's mandatory there) I'd rather take the Goremand/Butcher's band for the possibility at a 3 drop or less army.

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

If both contact a unit of bezerkers they average 3,5 mortal wounds after the 4+ save, not the biggest difference but you forgot that part.

byt you also picked a fight you shouldn’t be taking on.  Which btw is 150% the point cost of one stonehorn so they better be good ;) your argument still stands imo but that’s 600pts + a hero of minimum 100pts. And as with any Death Star unit you should take apart it’s synergies or evade. 
Which is easier said than done. 

For reference this is what the damage is on a plain stonehorn on the charge, no traits or artefacts included and before the hearthguard after save. 
DAFB9FFA-E897-4ECE-A4AF-79B1ADC05CBB.png.d247851af7de828a61954f3b51cb92e1.png

I didn't forget it, but the calculator I used had minor issues. The average damage from both SH charging is about 17.7, so maybe 9 killed. And about 16 from the Ironguts, so about 8 killed.

And I'm not sure it's a Deathstar when it's less than a third of the army and you can take two. Remember: just one unit can outfight BOTH artifact equipped FLoSH  at the same time.

Edited by EldritchX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MKsmash said:

Though you lol at this, it might be a great combo now that I think about it.

I mean it works. I only loled at it because 50% of the wounds my Ironguts usually get come from the Tyrant passing it on to them. My Tyrant killed as many Ironguts as the people in my playgroup have done, as the true bully he is. Only thing I'm not sure about if the mortal wounds from the hammer counts as wounds in regards to splattercleaver activating. If it does it's really great. But so far I played it as that it needs actual wounds to activate.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

I mean it works. I only loled at it because 50% of the wounds my Ironguts usually get come from the Tyrant passing it on to them. My Tyrant killed as many Ironguts as the people in my playgroup have done, as the true bully he is. Only thing I'm not sure about if the mortal wounds from the hammer counts as wounds in regards to splattercleaver activating. If it does it's really great. But so far I played it as that it needs actual wounds to activate.

The description for mortal wounds in the rules does say "after they have been allocated, a mortal wound is treated in the same manner as any other wound for all rules purposes", FWIW.

3 minutes ago, EldritchX said:

The description for mortal wounds in the rules does say "after they have been allocated, a mortal wound is treated in the same manner as any other wound for all rules purposes", FWIW.

Well then you get to heal D3 guaranteed if you can manage to roll one 6 out of 3 hit dice. Not bad.

Edited by Pitloze

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, Kramer said:

Slaughtermaster or butcher? Because I can tell you now the slaughternmaster ain’t gonna fit and needs an oval. 

Slaughtermaster. Really hope they update the base guide or the MawTribes FAQ since this is confusing. Butcher is still sold on a 40mm square base.

55 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Slaughtermaster. Really hope they update the base guide or the MawTribes FAQ since this is confusing. Butcher is still sold on a 40mm square base.

I just got a Butcher and it came with a 50mm round along with the 40mm square, as did the Firebelly. SM should come with the 105mm oval.

Edited by EldritchX

Hey guys,

Rules question, billowing ash spell from the firebelly has a aura effect of 12". If I place the firebelly on a balewind vortex, does the aura effect of billowing ash increase by 6" or not? My game group is arguing it only effects the casting range of spells but I disagree