AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

New orgor player here. I just started by picking up the bcr starter box.
I'm far more of a casual gamer/hobbiest but I'd like to make my ogor army as competitive as possible (and I don't feel this is that bad as my understanding is this is an upper mid-tier force and will still require skill unlike some demons or sepharon lists).

What's the most competitive build people would suggest that I could take to a tournament?

The most common competitive build is Eurlbard  low Drop armies with Stonehorns. Being very low drops means you can set yourself up for the double turn and Ogors/Stonehorns on the double turn  are pretty good. Eurlbard armies also have the benefit of being easy to purchase because it uses everything from the Start Collecting Box.

I face a lot of shooting armies and I've really been enjoying Winterbite. Ironguts fit nicely into this army  because they dont need a lot of buffs and are self sufficient (probably still 10-20 points overcosted though). I've been testing this army a lot and been winning pretty much all my games. I just need to wait until tournaments start again in my area to really test it.

It is balanced and has a nice little anti-melee combo in the Thundertusk and 8xironguts. A Thundertusk with Alvagr Ancient can be bubble wrapped with Ironguts and then if anything charges the Ironguts they would fight last thanks to the Thundertusk's artefact. It's been a nice central board piece for against Melee focused opponents.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Winterbite
LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Alvagr Rune-tokens
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (300)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Frostfang
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Wintertouched
UNITS
8 x Ironguts (440)
8 x Ironguts (440)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
BATTALIONS
Skal (100)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

Edited by Warbossironteef
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

26 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

A Thundertusk with Alvagr Ancient can be bubble wrapped with Ironguts and then if anything charges the Ironguts they would fight last thanks to the Thundertusk's artefact. It's been a nice central board piece for against Melee focused opponents.

That's a nice combo! -1 to hit while you move up and you can afford to position aggressively as anything charging would get itself deleted before doing anything.

Does the higher amount of drops in that list cause issues? With such a large invest in every unit for ogors I can see why double turns are extra impactful for the army.

Question on endless sells

I have thought about taking a fungoid cave shaman as an ally in my ogre army, can I take the gloomspire gits endless spells. One of them grants acsess to all spells in the gloomspire list...... not sure if they are any good but it sounds like fun. Add that to 50% of the time getting an extra command point and I think it could be a good idea

Thoughts?

On 12/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, Rors said:

That's a nice combo! -1 to hit while you move up and you can afford to position aggressively as anything charging would get itself deleted before doing anything.

Does the higher amount of drops in that list cause issues? With such a large invest in every unit for ogors I can see why double turns are extra impactful for the army.

For sure being a 2 or 3 drop would be better. You can go all in on Ironguts in Tyrantgut guard and keep it to a 2-3 drop with FLOSH and a unit of Gnoblars. It might be a better version of this list but I'm testing out a more TAC version with some extra movement from Skaal and the Thundertusk + Ironguts combo.

The Alvagar Ancient Thundertusk helps against alpha strikes from melee armies that outdrop you and the -1 from shooting helps against getting doubled by shooting armies.

Alright fellow tyrants.

Just a quick question to which the answer has probably already been given in this thread at some point. I have looked through FAQs and have had no joy so I'll turn to you guys.....

Say I have a 12 man block of gluttons, do I get 2 standard bearers (1 tribal banner and 1 beast skull)? Also will I get 2 bellowers that stack and reduce the enemy bravery by 2?

Any light shed on this will be greatly appreciated. Cheers 🍻

12 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Alright fellow tyrants.

Just a quick question to which the answer has probably already been given in this thread at some point. I have looked through FAQs and have had no joy so I'll turn to you guys.....

Say I have a 12 man block of gluttons, do I get 2 standard bearers (1 tribal banner and 1 beast skull)? Also will I get 2 bellowers that stack and reduce the enemy bravery by 2?

Any light shed on this will be greatly appreciated. Cheers 🍻

Bellowers don’t stack. Not even from multiple units. As the wording is: within 6” of ANY bellowers. Meaning the effect gets triggered once. 
but yes, one in every six can be a bellower, so you can take two in a unit of twelve.

Regarding banners better news. For every six gluttons you have in a single unit you get one tribal banner and one beast skull banner. so both banners per 6 gluttons. 
Which means in a unit of 12 you could get both banners twice. 

The wording also allows you to have one model carry both banners at once. Which is a bit gamey IMO although it looks better. So that’s something I would discuss with regular opponents. 

• Thanks 1

Nice one dude,

I'll make sure I scout through my bits box for that beast skull banner and get my charges re rolled 😄 

I'm also assuming that the abilities still apply when you start losing models....as in if you lost 2 gluttons in the previous turn, the rule of '1 in 6' still applies?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gutlord said:

Nice one dude,

I'll make sure I scout through my bits box for that beast skull banner and get my charges re rolled 😄 

I'm also assuming that the abilities still apply when you start losing models....as in if you lost 2 gluttons in the previous turn, the rule of '1 in 6' still applies?

Yeah absolutely. When they are on the table they are on the table. Of course when you allocate enough wounds to the  banner bearer and he dies... then so does the ability he offers. Which is why you might consider two of each to help with that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Yeah absolutely. When they are on the table they are on the table. Of course when you allocate enough wounds to the  banner bearer and he dies... then so does the ability he offers. Which is why you might consider two of each to help with that. 

Nice one mate.....you've been a big help there🍻

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 8:19 AM, PlasticCraic said:

I ran Ogors at a 2-day event in Canberra last weekend, check it out if you're interested!

https://plasticcraic.blog/2020/12/03/everwinter-tournament-review/

@Rors I linked this on the last page, covering a competitive Eurlbad build that I did well with recently (playing for the win on Table 1, Game 5).  

There are a few diverse competitive builds in this book, but something like that list would be what has seen the most consistent success.

• LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Rors said:

@PlasticCraic

Thanks! That's a really cool tournament run down and a good result for beastclaw.

What matchups would you say is best and worst for your list?

Thanks!

Best: Sons of Behemat, you can make them go first and swamp one part of their army at a time

Worst: wound spam (e.g. Blight Kings), your output overall is only intermediate and not high.  If they can alpha bunker and make you fight away from objectives, you'll struggle to get through them

As for the top stuff in the meta (KO, Seraphon, Tzeentch), I've played KO a lot and it matches up OK.  You've got a game on your hands.  Seraphon and Tzeentch I think you'd struggle against a good player tbh, they are just too good.  You'd have a chance if your opponent makes mistakes and / or runs an inefficient list.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 12:20 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Thanks!

Best: Sons of Behemat, you can make them go first and swamp one part of their army at a time

Worst: wound spam (e.g. Blight Kings), your output overall is only intermediate and not high.  If they can alpha bunker and make you fight away from objectives, you'll struggle to get through them

As for the top stuff in the meta (KO, Seraphon, Tzeentch), I've played KO a lot and it matches up OK.  You've got a game on your hands.  Seraphon and Tzeentch I think you'd struggle against a good player tbh, they are just too good.  You'd have a chance if your opponent makes mistakes and / or runs an inefficient list.

Only good thing we have vs Tzeentch is that 12 gluttons can (if buffed) punch through 50 wounds of pinks in one go.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the Eurlbad with 2x4 Mournfangs, and am I crazy or does that have the potential to do over a hundred mortal wounds just from the battalion effect over a game?  That of course assumes all the models are in combat for both turns every round. But wondering how other people’s MW output has been with this battalion. 

I’m gonna have a game hopefully next weekend.   Planning on Bloodgullet with FLOSH w Nice Drop and Splatter Cleaver and Clatterhorn, then 2 Slaughtermasters.   2000 on the dot.   

I wanna try that HoTT Ancient Ironguts combo though too

Since I can't quite fit a Eurlbad with 2x4 Mournfangs and two Frostlords into a 2000-point list (and I really like my Frostlords), I've been running a 4-pack and 2-pack. The Eurlbad tends to put out a significant number of mortal wounds over the course of the game just from the Mournfangs, and it gives a nice boost to the otherwise lackluster Huskard as well. It's very noticeably a better investment than the extra two Mournfangs I could have got for those points instead, and the extra CP and artefact are gravy.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kramer said:

I still think Ogors, especially mawtribes, are a kinda anti KO pick. 
it feel nice when you can compete with a top army 😁

Yeah, I've played against KO quite a bit recently (with Beastclaws), and the KO really have to play smart and get a bit lucky to win. The game is definitely stacked in the Ogor's favour. I find we can hold our own against most of the top armies - LRL in particular have a real uphill struggle.

The only one I've had proper trouble with are the updated Idoneth. The shark nets preventing pile-in can be a big problem, the turtles hit harder than a Frostlord, and if you can't overwhelm them before turn 3 they will destroy you in their "always strikes first" melee phases. That's a tough game.

3 hours ago, Kadeton said:

e only one I've had proper trouble with are the updated Idoneth. The shark nets preventing pile-in can be a big problem, the turtles hit harder than a Frostlord, and if you can't overwhelm them before turn 3 they will destroy you in their "always strikes first" melee phases. That's a tough game

I haven’t played them yet so I’m curious how that match up works out.

but in general I agree. most Top armies right now have easy acces to mortal wounds or rend usually at range, and good magic and mobility. 
I think that’s why Ogors and blightkings do so well. The sheer number of wounds is a real bonus. 

Edited by Kramer

On 1/23/2021 at 3:45 AM, Kadeton said:

Since I can't quite fit a Eurlbad with 2x4 Mournfangs and two Frostlords into a 2000-point list (and I really like my Frostlords), I've been running a 4-pack and 2-pack. The Eurlbad tends to put out a significant number of mortal wounds over the course of the game just from the Mournfangs, and it gives a nice boost to the otherwise lackluster Huskard as well. It's very noticeably a better investment than the extra two Mournfangs I could have got for those points instead, and the extra CP and artefact are gravy.

I really really  want to finish up my Mournfangs now (the 2 Frostlords are ready!).   

I would naturally go with Boulderhead, but would Winterbite for this army build be worth using for that -1 to hit on enemy shooting while we're in our zone?   That would really be annoying for all those shooty armies these days.  Changehost, KO, doesn't Lumineth shoot stuff too?  Frostfang is pretty good on a frost spear too.

7 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I really really  want to finish up my Mournfangs now (the 2 Frostlords are ready!).

I would naturally go with Boulderhead, but would Winterbite for this army build be worth using for that -1 to hit on enemy shooting while we're in our zone?   That would really be annoying for all those shooty armies these days.  Changehost, KO, doesn't Lumineth shoot stuff too?  Frostfang is pretty good on a frost spear too.

It's definitely worth thinking about. In general I'd say that Boulderhead is still the better choice, but depending on how much first-turn shooting there is in your local meta then Winterbite might be a solid alternative choice.

You'd be giving up 1 wound on all your monsters, the Brand of the Svard, the Lord of Beasts trait, and the Dig Deep command ability. Unless you invest heavily into Sabres or Yhetees, you're not getting any value from the mandatory Winterbite trait and command.

Sadly Lumineth don't really care about -1 to hit, they're just fishing for natural 5+ results to deal mortal wounds. KO would probably hate it, though.

I think more than most battletomes, the Mawtribes tome has really blatant CHOOSE THIS TRIBE IF YOU WANT THESE UNITS signposting. Some armies have the option to take similar composition, but switch up their sub-faction to modify their playstyle a bit... we don't really do that so much. Most of the tribes only give any benefit to an extremely narrow set of units, and you'd need a really compelling reason to take anything else.

Straightforward and brutal is definitely the Beastclaw's greatest strength. Strike first, strike hard, no mercy. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kadeton said:

I think more than most battletomes, the Mawtribes tome has really blatant CHOOSE THIS TRIBE IF YOU WANT THESE UNITS signposting. Some armies have the option to take similar composition, but switch up their sub-faction to modify their playstyle a bit... we don't really do that so much. Most of the tribes only give any benefit to an extremely narrow set of units, and you'd need a really compelling reason to take anything else.

Straightforward and brutal is definitely the Beastclaw's greatest strength. Strike first, strike hard, no mercy. :)

Oh really? I actually find the opposite. Well not really opposite but at least 90 degrees different. 

For context currently I’m really into my KO, stormcast and Cities at the moment, but I also have Skaven and DoK armies. 

I find that most units can switch around between the sub factions. At least a lot better than my other armies. 
If I bring my beastclaw list I can actually put them into blood Gullet and add a butcher with some endless spells. The only thing I waste is the command ability but the trait and artefact are actually quite good. 
I’ve also played my underguts list in blood gullet. And if I drop my cannons for a frostlord it is also quite solid in boulderhead. and all of it can function in meatfist, but we don’t talk about the one😅

Everytime I look at the cities book I feel I need a different collection for. Every subfaction. 
and with KO, dok and Stormcast I just end up with the same two every time. Especially with KO that gives battleline if through its sub factions. 
Skaven is a different beast all together. 

but I do get what you mean. The underguts and winter bite really only benifit specific models and with thunder bellies it’s about halve the rules. 
still that’s 3 out of 6 that push you to go all in. The other 3 allow you do mic and match but asks you to bring 1 or 2 specific heroes. 
Btw not saying you’re wrong. Just found it interesting that we experience it differently. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1