AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

8 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

The 5-monster lists play very cagey and lean heavily on the capture-10 gameplay/objectives, often retreating, measuring defensively to not get charged early game, etc.

Huh! That hasn't been my experience at all, I run my BCR as in-your-face bullies and keep the opponent locked in their deployment zone until they die, for the most part. But I always run two Frostlords, which have considerably more hitting power than the list posted above. I've certainly never had to be "cagey".

I look forward to actually watching the video - sounds like an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Hey guys, sorry if it's been discussed before... But how do you feel about a Mega-Gargant inside Mawtribes?

Is it worth it? Which type is best? Do they fit into the army well enough? Any tricks or tips?

I think the only one I'd ally with Mawtribes would be the Kraken-Eater for the objective kicking, and kicking it backwards towards a bunch of Gluttons.   He wouldn't be too much more than a Frostlord on Stonehorn, but of course the trade off is he's only a single model for objective scoring.  The damage output on the charge and during combat is similar to a FLoSH so it's not super bad there, and of course 35 wounds is pretty tanky even without a 3+/5++; but the gargant can't be buffed by a Slaughtermaster or Butcher or Huskard of course, nor healed by the Mawpot.  

I did a roll off last night between 8 Ironguts and a MegaG.  MegaG killed 5 Ironguts when he got to charge and go first.  Ironguts only got the G down about 1/2 when they charged and went first.......except when they got +1 to hit from the Slaughtermaster and Bloodfeast for +1 attack, CP reroll 1s to hit, and had Ribcracker go off on the G.  Then G died 21 wounds over what it required.

But can Ogors take a merc MegaG of any sort as an ally?  The other grand alliances have to take specific named ones.  I guess I didn't read that part in the battletome (and I have been running the 5 Stonehorn/1 Thundertusk army for my monster list).

55 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

But can Ogors take a merc MegaG of any sort as an ally?  The other grand alliances have to take specific named ones.  I guess I didn't read that part in the battletome (and I have been running the 5 Stonehorn/1 Thundertusk army for my monster list).

Destruction can ally in all three named:

'KRAKEN-EATER MEGA-GARGANTS can only be taken as MERCENARY units by Order and Destruction armies, or by armies from factions that are part of the Order or Destruction Grand Alliance. '

And this text is there for the Death and Chaos one as well. 

@Charlo, I'm fully with his Lordship. I think Krakeneater adds the most for us. But it's roughly equal to the Frostlord. Frostlord is a bit harder I think. But the Krakeneater gives you a bit of ranged threat, the ability to step over screens, pick out those daemon banner bearers so they can't spawn back etc. 

It's a cool model though, so might be a bit of a utility vs strength comparison. Although what is truly better you'd need someone who played both. My money is on the Frostlord though. 

• Like 1

If you are going down the mass ironguts route, I strongly recommend either 20x gnoblars or several units of frost sabres. Ironguts hit like trucks but are quite fragile so need some protection. Also, with 2 inch reach they can easily swing over the top of the Gnoblars. 

I find one of my most common CP expenditures is the 6 inch run on my gnoblar screen on turn 1 or so. Its not like there are a ton of great command abilities on most of our models anyway. 

I almost feel like the battalion is unnecessary. With those points (and the tyrant who doesn't carry his own points), you could instead pick 20x gnoblars, a hunter and 2x frost sabers. Now even if you don't get turn order, you can sneakily take an objective with your frost sabres (and risk nothing), force them to hang back with your hunter, and are protected on your turn by the gnoblars. 

So something like

Frostlord on stonehorn

Butcher

Slaughtermaster, general

Hunter

Irongutsx8

Irongutsx4

Irongutsx4

20x gnoblars

2xFrost Sabres

2x Frost Sabres

Gives you 4 pretty good threats with a good bit of support. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frowny said:

If you are going down the mass ironguts route, I strongly recommend either 20x gnoblars or several units of frost sabres. Ironguts hit like trucks but are quite fragile so need some protection. Also, with 2 inch reach they can easily swing over the top of the Gnoblars. 

I find one of my most common CP expenditures is the 6 inch run on my gnoblar screen on turn 1 or so. Its not like there are a ton of great command abilities on most of our models anyway. 

I almost feel like the battalion is unnecessary. With those points (and the tyrant who doesn't carry his own points), you could instead pick 20x gnoblars, a hunter and 2x frost sabers. Now even if you don't get turn order, you can sneakily take an objective with your frost sabres (and risk nothing), force them to hang back with your hunter, and are protected on your turn by the gnoblars. 

So something like

Frostlord on stonehorn

Butcher

Slaughtermaster, general

Hunter

Irongutsx8

Irongutsx4

Irongutsx4

20x gnoblars

2xFrost Sabres

2x Frost Sabres

Gives you 4 pretty good threats with a good bit of support. 

Ooh, I like the looks of that army.  Guess I could paint up 20 Gnoblars pretty quick with contrast paints.  I knew those little jerks would get me to get them someday.  I'll give that a try next time I get to play.  

Nothing to add to the discussion (typical of my posts), but I am excitedly joining the (maw)tribe!

Long story short: I traded IDK for SCE which I then traded for Beastclaw Raiders.

They were my favourite army from the start as they are clearly the natural evolution of Bretonnians. I did not collect them when I re-entered the hobby as they always seemed like a good army to sway my friends with. When I learned my friends had no taste, I regretted not playing them and now I have rectified my poor decisions and have traded up in the world from a battle force to a complete 2000 point army (depending on how I build things). I also really wanted a good guy army to contrast my Chaos army and nothing is more good than some folks looking for a nice tasty meal.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard the midnight meat train!  I had a similar route to the Mawtribes....the Material Continuum provides (as the Ferengi say).

I'm working on my Beastclaw this weekend, trying to get my Eurlbad done for whenever my next game will be.  Gonna try Bloodgullet from Chamon instead of Boulderhead this time:

Slaughtermaster (Greasy Deluge/Molten Entrails)

Butcher (Ribracker/Bloodfeast)

FLoSH (general/Nice Drop/Splatter Cleaver/Metalcruncher)

HoSH (Vulture/Plate of Perfect Protection)

2x4 Mournfangs

SHBR

Eurlbad

2000 on the dot.  Not sure about Metalcruncher vs the Clatterhorn, but I figure from Chamon that makes sense.  And it does its work before combat starts, along with the cram session of the charge phase.  Mournfangs are huge!   

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, Kramer said:

Destruction can ally in all three named:

'KRAKEN-EATER MEGA-GARGANTS can only be taken as MERCENARY units by Order and Destruction armies, or by armies from factions that are part of the Order or Destruction Grand Alliance. '

And this text is there for the Death and Chaos one as well. 

@Charlo, I'm fully with his Lordship. I think Krakeneater adds the most for us. But it's roughly equal to the Frostlord. Frostlord is a bit harder I think. But the Krakeneater gives you a bit of ranged threat, the ability to step over screens, pick out those daemon banner bearers so they can't spawn back etc. 

It's a cool model though, so might be a bit of a utility vs strength comparison. Although what is truly better you'd need someone who played both. My money is on the Frostlord though. 

I am enjoying the warstomper myself. My opponents pucker and throw their entire army at him. Makes the objective game easy and it’s had nothing to do with effectiveness of the warstomper. It’s a dice game and the average dice generally behave as expected. It’s the unexpected omfg rule that’s been winning me games.

E99E38B0-661F-490B-939F-D5223C92032F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 11/1/2020 at 3:45 AM, Drazhoath said:

Tomorow I will have a game against OBR with Katakros and Nagash. Both with 2+ save, reroll 1, better hit, healing as f*** and so on...

The only Chance I see is to avoid Nagash and play the objectiv game. Or should I chase Katakros? I dont know...

What else is in the army - not much?  What will you be running?

Generally, I'd be looking to fight everything else and ignore / play objectives around the two big ones.  

• Like 2

I had two Stonehorns charge into nagash once, then the frost spear finished him off.   Seemed almost too easy.  

But Katakros has some tricks, just not quite sure what. Seems like he buffs dudes mostly, and until he’s taken many wounds he is pretty weak in combat actually.   

Then what else would they have, like 30 Mortek guards?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I had two Stonehorns charge into nagash once, then the frost spear finished him off.   Seemed almost too easy.  

But Katakros has some tricks, just not quite sure what. Seems like he buffs dudes mostly, and until he’s taken many wounds he is pretty weak in combat actually.   

Then what else would they have, like 30 Mortek guards?

Yes, the two big dudes, 30 Guards and one katapult.

We canceled it because of corona but in a few weeks we try again.

I think to use 1-2 heavy hitters (Frostlord/Irongutts) and the rest many small units for capturing objektives is a good idea 😁😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bayul said:

I'd like to give my planned Beastclaw Raiders army a Fyreslayers aesthetic with lavish orange mohawks and beards. Are there enough (4) bald heads on the Mournfang Pack sprue?

Ogor heads should never be a problem to find on eBay, since every Ogor pack contains so many.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bayul said:

I'd like to give my planned Beastclaw Raiders army a Fyreslayers aesthetic with lavish orange mohawks and beards. Are there enough (4) bald heads on the Mournfang Pack sprue?

only special ogors have head hair like some the maneater models but the more elite units have helmets. Such as Ironguts and Mournfang. Should be easy enough to get a hold off like @Beastmaster says. So aim for glutton and leadbelchers heads would be my advice.

Also a good trick is to check the GW site as it shows a picture of every sprue. And to answer your question. No it's just the Champion as far as I can tell. 
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/beastclaw-raiders-mournfang-pack

In the glutton box I count 9 heads for 6 bodies.

• Thanks 1

I prefer double hand weapons. 

Receiving 1 dmg attacks without rend to your 12 ironfist will return on average 10 mw. (4*12*1.33/6) and for higher damage attack your gluttons will die sooner with fewer save rolls, so less damage returned. 

Buffed gluttons in Bloodgullet can do some heavy lifting, especially with double hand weapons and they dont need to die to gain its benefit so they can gain even more value somewhere else on the battlefield. 

A "trick" you can do is taking 3 gluttons with ironfists and charge right into a buffed horde unit with many attacks like mortek guards and let them destroy those gluttons. Because you do all save rolls before actually allocating the damage you have the potential to return alot because they are overkilling them. This is something i wouldn't rely on though. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 8:48 AM, Sauriv said:

A "trick" you can do is taking 3 gluttons with ironfists and charge right into a buffed horde unit with many attacks like mortek guards and let them destroy those gluttons. Because you do all save rolls before actually allocating the damage you have the potential to return alot because they are overkilling them. This is something i wouldn't rely on though. 

This is what I did against a unit of 40 witch aelves......killed 10 in the end with iron fists but that's the best possible scenario to use them. I guess if you have 120 pts to spare and you want just 3 gluttons to sit on an objective then the ironfists make more sense but any units of 6 or more gluttons.....I'd take the double weapons and hit the enemy hard first.