AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Hey guys,

how would you built a list that says "100% bloodgullet".

I am looking for a thematic but still competitive list for 1k and 1k5 games.

Slaughtermaster, Butcher and Gluttons are set in stone i guess.
Bloody Balewind yes please. Bloodmagic Is always nice.

Firebellies are a big no go because grilled meat? Yuck! Where is the blood?!

BCR doesn't sound right, but maybe a Frostlord found his bloody way to the tribe? (I have one but want to stay on theme. But Frostlords are so damn good...😅)

The call for blood isn't only heard by "normal" Ogors, so maybe a Gorger? A Gargant?

I would love to hear your ideas.:)

On 3/8/2020 at 8:40 AM, Eevika said:

SlaughterMaster.jpg.a4054cce96f189948be9d6fc927cd369.jpg

Finished my Slaughter Master today. Minis from Atlantis Miniatures

Looks really amazing man, nice job. I really love the Atlantis miniatures Ogres and I bought a Butcher myself  for my upcoming army. I searched all over the internet to find some size comparisons with the gw ones and I couldn't find anything. How do the Atlantis Ogres fit with the GW ones in terms of size? 

21 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

You can fit in a Hunter with the Eurlbad if you want that deepstrike (as long as you're not using him for damage output with the Skaal):

Hide contents

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Alvagr Rune-tokens
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Hrothgorn (160)

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Units
3 x Hrothgorn's Mantrappers (0)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 84

I don't think that's a bad little army.

I don't remember the Mantrappers and Hrothgorn doing much of anything good, do they?  I think the best reason to have a plain Hunter is to have Winter Ranger as the CT as general.   Also with the Eurlbad seems like having 4 Mournfangs per unit is more beneficial than another Frostlord.  That'll be more mortal wounds, and wounds for the enemy to chew through, though they lack that 5++.   

How about another SHBR within the Eurlbad?  Still has the big trampling charge and the SH attacks, plus the Eurlbad MW potential.  

Is it good to stack the Brand of the Svard with Black Clatterhorn, or spread the +1 to hit to another Stonehorn Hero so we have 2 hitting with 3+ horns?  Is there a Mathhammer algorithm for that?

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I don't remember the Mantrappers and Hrothgorn doing much of anything good, do they?  I think the best reason to have a plain Hunter is to have Winter Ranger as the CT as general.   Also with the Eurlbad seems like having 4 Mournfangs per unit is more beneficial than another Frostlord.  That'll be more mortal wounds, and wounds for the enemy to chew through, though they lack that 5++.   

How about another SHBR within the Eurlbad?  Still has the big trampling charge and the SH attacks, plus the Eurlbad MW potential.  

Is it good to stack the Brand of the Svard with Black Clatterhorn, or spread the +1 to hit to another Stonehorn Hero so we have 2 hitting with 3+ horns?  Is there a Mathhammer algorithm for that?

First of all, Black Clatterhorn is only for the horns. It's a minor detail since the horns deal more damage than the hooves but it's a bit weaker than Brand of the Svard. I did some very quick maths for two mounts with a bonus each VS one with the artefact+ the trait and the other with nothing.

There's no difference: the hooves end up the same in both configuration since only the artefact gives a bonus. The horns end up being 5+3 hits vs 4+4 so there's no difference either.

I'd rather spread the mount trait and the artefact so I can give the The Rime Shroud to the Frostlord. With some many KO, Seraphons, lumineths, shooty CoS and SCE in the top tables of recent tournaments, denying most of the abilities that proc on an unmodified 6 to hit became pretty useful.

Edited by spenson
  • Thanks 1

Good point on the Clatterhorn.   Throw in a Slaughterpriest in a Goremand that could help 2 FLoSHs   hit horns on 2s with some luck.

The Rimeshroud, I haven't even looked at that one.  Cool!  That would help vs those Stormcast longstrike and ballista bows too.  Would be great to have a cheapo Skal to net a Chamon Plate of Protection on someone too.

For the Gutbusters, I have 4 Leadbelchers and 8 Ironguts.  If I have limited Ogor bodies remaining, should I make more Ironguts or more Leadbelchers to balance them out?  Seems like people favor bigger units of Leadbelchers anyways....but Ironguts!  Guess they could work so well in tandem, my slow rational brain says Leadbelchers.   But my quick reactionary brain says Ironguts.  Generally I'd run Bloodgullet with all my Gutbusters in play; and a Goremand when using BCR with Gutbusters.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

10 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Good point on the Clatterhorn.   Throw in a Slaughterpriest in a Goremand that could help 2 FLoSHs   hit horns on 2s with some luck.

The Rimeshroud, I haven't even looked at that one.  Cool!  That would help vs those Stormcast longstrike and ballista bows too.  Would be great to have a cheapo Skal to net a Chamon Plate of Protection on someone too.

For the Gutbusters, I have 4 Leadbelchers and 8 Ironguts.  If I have limited Ogor bodies remaining, should I make more Ironguts or more Leadbelchers to balance them out?  Seems like people favor bigger units of Leadbelchers anyways....but Ironguts!  Guess they could work so well in tandem, my slow rational brain says Leadbelchers.   But my quick reactionary brain says Ironguts.  Generally I'd run Bloodgullet with all my Gutbusters in play; and a Goremand when using BCR with Gutbusters.

I'm not sure about KO, but the stormcast longstrikes, the Chameleon Skinks and the lumineth archers are played A LOT right now. They will not focus the frostlord if he has this artefact since it reduces their damage quite a bit.

21 hours ago, Archibald said:

Hey guys,

how would you built a list that says "100% bloodgullet".

I am looking for a thematic but still competitive list for 1k and 1k5 games.

Slaughtermaster, Butcher and Gluttons are set in stone i guess.
Bloody Balewind yes please. Bloodmagic Is always nice.

Firebellies are a big no go because grilled meat? Yuck! Where is the blood?!

BCR doesn't sound right, but maybe a Frostlord found his bloody way to the tribe? (I have one but want to stay on theme. But Frostlords are so damn good...😅)

The call for blood isn't only heard by "normal" Ogors, so maybe a Gorger? A Gargant?

I would love to hear your ideas.:)

Filling out the slaughtermasters battalion + a butcher on a balewind and you’ve filled 1,5K. 

F3673631-68DD-4FDC-AF17-BCDEF2F4F793.png.bb6857917828db1c3e93fc82affa5fe2.png

leadbelchers for holding an objective 

, butcher gluttons combo on one end or second wave. 
ironguts slaughtermaster combo into his best Units. Double fish for the +1 to hit on 8 ironguts is insane. Blood will be flying around there make no mistake. 

probably better off dropping the balewind and adding 4 cats as screens. Hey, something needs to fetch the birds when the leadbelchers go the mortal realms equivalent of duck hunting. But that makes you three drop.  Depends on your opponents if that makes a difference. 

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Filling out the slaughtermasters battalion + a butcher on a balewind and you’ve filled 1,5K. 

F3673631-68DD-4FDC-AF17-BCDEF2F4F793.png.bb6857917828db1c3e93fc82affa5fe2.png

leadbelchers for holding an objective 

, butcher gluttons combo on one end or second wave. 
ironguts slaughtermaster combo into his best Units. Double fish for the +1 to hit on 8 ironguts is insane. Blood will be flying around there make no mistake. 

probably better off dropping the balewind and adding 4 cats as screens. Hey, something needs to fetch the birds when the leadbelchers go the mortal realms equivalent of duck hunting. But that makes you three drop.  Depends on your opponents if that makes a difference. 

Thanks for the reply Kramer.:)

I will test that list in a game against LRL or Orruks today and will report back.

The Balewind will stay for now because i just got the model (for 40€ on ebay🤪) and it looks just too awesome.

3E8195C8-ED53-4760-99AB-1C141874079D.jpeg

4D84B317-B046-4B76-846D-360CDABFFFF2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

30 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Thanks for the reply Kramer.:)

I will test that list in a game against LRL or Orruks today and will report back.

The Balewind will stay for now because i just got the model (for 40€ on ebay🤪) and it looks just too awesome.

3E8195C8-ED53-4760-99AB-1C141874079D.jpeg

4D84B317-B046-4B76-846D-360CDABFFFF2.jpeg

Looking very good! 
great minds think alike, i got one and bloodied it up as well! 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I took my Monster Mash list to a tournament on the weekend, and thought I'd give a report on how it went!

The first round was The Blade's Edge in Ghyran, and I was matched against Sylvaneth, an interesting Winterleaf list including Alarielle and a big block of 9 Kurnoth Hunters with scythes, boosted by the Chronomantic Cogs and the Spiteswarm Hive. My previous experiences with Sylvaneth had conditioned me to think they were a bit weak, so while I was sure they would be able to charge my line on turn 1, I figured I could counter-punch hard and carry the game. This was a serious under-estimation! The Hunters came in boosted by a Triumph (re-rolling hits), Alarielle (re-rolling 1s to Wound), +1 Attack (from the Arch-Revenant's command ability), and fighting twice (using the Frozen Kernel), and killed two Beast Riders and a Frostlord - fully half my army - on turn 1. My remaining monsters managed to kill almost all the Hunters as well as Alarielle, the Arch-Revenant, a Treelord Ancient, another summoned unit of Hunters and a big unit of Spite-Revenants, but I was eventually tabled. I never managed to fight my way out of my deployment zone, so his teleporting Tree-Revenants ran away with the objectives and the game. All in all, I was really impressed with the Sylvaneth in this game - I think I would have won if I'd been more respectful of their threat range and hitting power and deployed accordingly, so it was a great learning experience.

Second round was Knife to the Heart in Ulgu, and I was up against a Slaanesh list with two Keepers, the Masque, a Chaos Lord, forty Marauders and two blocks of twenty Daemonettes. My opponent was themselves a Beastclaw player, so advanced quite cautiously in the first turn - unfortunately, not cautiously enough. They slightly over-extended with one Keeper, which took a charge from two Beast Riders and died before getting to swing, and I managed to get one Frostlord into each unit of Daemonettes and wipe them both out with minimal damage taken (I got quite lucky on saves and shrugs). I then won priority for turn 2, and charged all six monsters into the big unit of Marauders, killing about 25 of them just from impact hits! At the beginning of my opponent's second turn, all he had left was one Keeper of Secrets, and he conceded. Apparently the Beastclaws were far more deadly than he expected, and it's inspired him to get his own Beastclaw list finished. :)

Third round was Forcing the Hand in Ghur. I matched against Lumineth, a Zaitrec list with Teclis and lots of Auralan infantry, which had performed very well in earlier rounds. However, it had almost no answer to my monsters. We shrugged off most of the incoming fire from the Sentinels and healed up the damage with the Mawpot and the Huskard, then hit their front line of Wardens at the bottom of turn 2, wiping them out. When I won priority on turn 3 my opponent immediately conceded - my monsters were barely damaged, he'd lost all his melee troops, and I was about to crash into his Sentinels and take all his objectives, leaving him no way to score.

My take-aways from the day:

• The monster mash list is absolutely brutal. It's incredibly fast, and if it gets a few charges off it will hit the opposing army so hard that it's difficult to recover. If it gets a double turn, it's pretty much immediately game over.
  • However, it's not unbeatable. It's weakest against lists with a similar game plan - hit fast, hit hard - but it can be bogged down and contained if you can throw enough survivable chaff at it. It's also somewhat vulnerable to hostile crippling magic, although you've generally got enough serious threats that your opponent can't deal with them all.
  • I'm not actually sure that the all-monster list is better than the Eurlbad version. The Mournfangs would have been really great for screening against the Sylvaneth charge, for example, and still inflicting some damage with their Ironfists in return. The extra Command Point, artefact and mortal wounds would also have been really nice. On the other hand, the Stonehorns are faster and their charges are just so devastating...
  • Watch out for those trees!
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

53 minutes ago, Grugg said:

Has anyone tried using a troggoth hag in an ogor list?

I have the model and want to use it (understanding its a lot worse than taking a stonehorn for the same points).

Honestly stumped on list ideas... Maybe a bloodgullet tribe as a start?

trollhagbloodgullet.pdfUnavailable

The hag has no real synergies with any stuff in our book so I would say that it doesn't really matter which tribe you go with. When i played with my own hag as an ally I played Underguts because the gameplan was to play slow and careful (the hag is somewhat slow so a good match for that tactic). This was when gryph feather charm was available so she was very tanky at the time. 

Stonehorns are better (as you already stated) as both a model and the access to synergies from buffs, mount traits and so on, but if you want to play with a hag don't over-think the list building. She can have a hard time keeping up with faster units but other than that go nuts 🤪 focus more on the combos of the 1600p side of mawtribe units instead. 

2 hours ago, Grugg said:

Has anyone tried using a troggoth hag in an ogor list?

I have the model and want to use it (understanding its a lot worse than taking a stonehorn for the same points).

Honestly stumped on list ideas... Maybe a bloodgullet tribe as a start?

trollhagbloodgullet.pdfUnavailable

Echoing the previous response, I would say that it really doesn’t matter what tribe you are in since she won’t get any buffs or benefits.  It is nice to essentially get Greasy Deluge and Ribcracker combined into a single spell, so I would probably either lean into Bloodgullet and focus on tossing out debuffs all over the place, or use her in Underguts where some magical assistance could be needed.

I’m just having trouble coming up with anything more cohesive at the moment.  I don’t have the model, so I’m just trying to see past the fact that I can get a Butcher, a Slaughtermaster, and 20 gnoblars for the same points.  For that matter, a dozen Gluttons is only 20 points more.

Not trying to poo poo your ideas, you have the model and want to play it, go forth and vomit on some folks!  I’m just saying I can’t really see it.

One thing I do like about the Hag is that she can teleport herself straight into vomit range (if you take the Arachnacauldron endless spell for access to the spell lore).  Gives you a bit of Hero sniping, and a teleport / redeploy threat, but it does mean flushing yet more points down the drain on an overcosted, one-cast wizard.  A Skaal can do something similar but with an extra CP and artefact thrown into the deal.

I love the Hag, and I've ran her loads over the years, but she's not in a great spot unfortunately.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Archibald said:

Just wanted to show of my newly painted Gorger.

I hope he will work as a backline anoyer especially against LRL Sentinels.

Looks great - especially like the bloody terrain. What did you use to make that nice snow effect?

Edited by EasyArmy

On 9/20/2020 at 11:26 PM, Kadeton said:

I took my Monster Mash list to a tournament on the weekend, and thought I'd give a report on how it went!

The first round was The Blade's Edge in Ghyran, and I was matched against Sylvaneth, an interesting Winterleaf list including Alarielle and a big block of 9 Kurnoth Hunters with scythes, boosted by the Chronomantic Cogs and the Spiteswarm Hive. My previous experiences with Sylvaneth had conditioned me to think they were a bit weak, so while I was sure they would be able to charge my line on turn 1, I figured I could counter-punch hard and carry the game. This was a serious under-estimation! The Hunters came in boosted by a Triumph (re-rolling hits), Alarielle (re-rolling 1s to Wound), +1 Attack (from the Arch-Revenant's command ability), and fighting twice (using the Frozen Kernel), and killed two Beast Riders and a Frostlord - fully half my army - on turn 1. My remaining monsters managed to kill almost all the Hunters as well as Alarielle, the Arch-Revenant, a Treelord Ancient, another summoned unit of Hunters and a big unit of Spite-Revenants, but I was eventually tabled. I never managed to fight my way out of my deployment zone, so his teleporting Tree-Revenants ran away with the objectives and the game. All in all, I was really impressed with the Sylvaneth in this game - I think I would have won if I'd been more respectful of their threat range and hitting power and deployed accordingly, so it was a great learning experience.

Second round was Knife to the Heart in Ulgu, and I was up against a Slaanesh list with two Keepers, the Masque, a Chaos Lord, forty Marauders and two blocks of twenty Daemonettes. My opponent was themselves a Beastclaw player, so advanced quite cautiously in the first turn - unfortunately, not cautiously enough. They slightly over-extended with one Keeper, which took a charge from two Beast Riders and died before getting to swing, and I managed to get one Frostlord into each unit of Daemonettes and wipe them both out with minimal damage taken (I got quite lucky on saves and shrugs). I then won priority for turn 2, and charged all six monsters into the big unit of Marauders, killing about 25 of them just from impact hits! At the beginning of my opponent's second turn, all he had left was one Keeper of Secrets, and he conceded. Apparently the Beastclaws were far more deadly than he expected, and it's inspired him to get his own Beastclaw list finished. :)

Third round was Forcing the Hand in Ghur. I matched against Lumineth, a Zaitrec list with Teclis and lots of Auralan infantry, which had performed very well in earlier rounds. However, it had almost no answer to my monsters. We shrugged off most of the incoming fire from the Sentinels and healed up the damage with the Mawpot and the Huskard, then hit their front line of Wardens at the bottom of turn 2, wiping them out. When I won priority on turn 3 my opponent immediately conceded - my monsters were barely damaged, he'd lost all his melee troops, and I was about to crash into his Sentinels and take all his objectives, leaving him no way to score.

My take-aways from the day:

• The monster mash list is absolutely brutal. It's incredibly fast, and if it gets a few charges off it will hit the opposing army so hard that it's difficult to recover. If it gets a double turn, it's pretty much immediately game over.
  • However, it's not unbeatable. It's weakest against lists with a similar game plan - hit fast, hit hard - but it can be bogged down and contained if you can throw enough survivable chaff at it. It's also somewhat vulnerable to hostile crippling magic, although you've generally got enough serious threats that your opponent can't deal with them all.
  • I'm not actually sure that the all-monster list is better than the Eurlbad version. The Mournfangs would have been really great for screening against the Sylvaneth charge, for example, and still inflicting some damage with their Ironfists in return. The extra Command Point, artefact and mortal wounds would also have been really nice. On the other hand, the Stonehorns are faster and their charges are just so devastating...
  • Watch out for those trees!

Thanks for the report!  Sounds like a super fun army to use (looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow).  Did you leave the Huskard on Thundertusk back by the Mawpot early on then?  I was wondering how we could even activate it otherwise.  Guess he shouldn't be in combat if he can avoid it, though it's nice to have him close if the enemy charges so they hit last.

6 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Thanks for the report!  Sounds like a super fun army to use (looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow).  Did you leave the Huskard on Thundertusk back by the Mawpot early on then?  I was wondering how we could even activate it otherwise.  Guess he shouldn't be in combat if he can avoid it, though it's nice to have him close if the enemy charges so they hit last.

Yep, exactly. The Huskard is the slowest and the squishiest thing in the list, so having him hang back a bit is generally what happens anyway. I tended to have him start next to the Mawpot (which goes as close as possible to the enemy, depending on deployment zones) and move up just enough to stay in range of the pot on his first turn. But I would generally empty the pot as soon as I could (if any unit had taken any damage in any amount) and then leave it behind - the Beastclaws don't really need it. That said, in the game against the Sylvaneth I emptied and re-filled it four turns in a row, so if you're in a desperate fight in your own deployment zone it's really handy.

• Like 1