AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

1 minute ago, Latty said:

Their factories are shut down, everything that goes out of stock isn't being re-produced until further notice.

In the meantime, a placeholder with roughly the right size should be ok to start gaming. This could even be an incentive to try and build your own personal terrain piece 😉

So i just got the armybook, one Tyrant, one unit of 6 gutbusters and 4 leadbelchers to start with my AoS army. Do you have any advice what to buy next to reach 1000p? I´m thinking to get our get started box and one butcher but should I get something else or more?  

16 minutes ago, Ulfast said:

So i just got the armybook, one Tyrant, one unit of 6 gutbusters and 4 leadbelchers to start with my AoS army. Do you have any advice what to buy next to reach 1000p? I´m thinking to get our get started box and one butcher but should I get something else or more?  

Ironguts are always worth their points. Even an unit of 4 can kill almost everything 👍🏻

4 hours ago, Ulfast said:

Ironguts are phenomenal mate, I always field 8 (although that's for 2k battles)......the damage output is ridicules. Are you sticking with gutbusters or would you consider throwing some beastclaw raiders in there? If so a frostlord on stonehorn has always done me proud. But if it's just 1k you are interested in I would say you cant go wrong with a butcher or slaughtermaster......same points for both, you have access to magic and dispel which is always useful, they are great fun to kit bash if you dont like the original GW model, they are pretty hard in combat and are cheap at 140pts. 

On 9/8/2020 at 8:12 PM, Jabbuk said:

So, what happened to the Great Mawpot? I'm interested to get into Mawtribes faction but the thing has been out of stock for so long now, what's up with that? I'd like to be able to get that terrain piece as well. Does anyone know anything?

Nurgle basically happened to the real world ;) 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Rats, I should have picked up the Mawpot I saw yesterday at a store, don't have one yet.  Though in the few games I've played with Mawtribes so far I never had anyone left behind to unleash its magic healing anyways.  Maybe that's best done like turn 2 for early healing?

It feels like you really need to dedicate a hero to directly sit on the pot all game, and depending on the battleplan it might not be in a useful spot.

Bloodgullet butcher with balewind next to the pot can pump out some decent damage though, provided it is in a decent location.

45 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Rats, I should have picked up the Mawpot I saw yesterday at a store, don't have one yet.  Though in the few games I've played with Mawtribes so far I never had anyone left behind to unleash its magic healing anyways.  Maybe that's best done like turn 2 for early healing?

I always do it early, but if you play with Gutbusters keeping a butcher back is worth it. At least works for me, most of the times.

But if you do that you usually fill it up easy enough. It's also set up away from enemy territory. Which occasionally means setting up further forward than just your own deployment zone. Which can be a help. I also happily use it to block movement to my back objectives 😂

New member here, searched the forums but couldn't find anything.  Have been having a lot of fun with my ogre army but always seem to struggle against a local seraphon player with the scaly skin ability.  It effectively nerfs the entire ogor army. Is there any way to get around this, any suggestions?

5 hours ago, RagingEngie said:

New member here, searched the forums but couldn't find anything.  Have been having a lot of fun with my ogre army but always seem to struggle against a local seraphon player with the scaly skin ability.  It effectively nerfs the entire ogor army. Is there any way to get around this, any suggestions?

Yeah, not really. Scaly Skin is really rough for Ogors to deal with. The main thing you can do is avoid 2-damage weapons, which lose 50% of their effectiveness (while 3-damage weapons only lose 33%, etc). Also focus on all the ways you can deal mortal wounds instead of traditional damage.

That, and take some solace in the fact that at least the Scaly ones can't teleport or summon more lizards! Seraphon are a really strong army in general.

• Like 1

I will start to reach 1000p but later on my goal is at least 2000p, perhaps even more! Ironguts sounds like a good idea with a butcher and slaughtermaster. Later on I want some beastclaws too. I really enjoy this army. I have glued all together and hope to get some basic ground spray on tonight so I can tomorrow start painting them :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RagingEngie said:

Haven't played them yet, but every model they lose hurts. So I second what @Kadeton says, and will add. plan for the Ogor charge as well. 
2x6 Leadbelchers might have a lot of functionality, but a unit of 12 can suffer a lot of hits and still do mortal wounds on a 4+ when charging. for example.
Monsters are great for that as well. 

Or, if you have the models, 2x60 gnoblars and a tyrant 😂
Swamp them in bodies! 

And as always when playing gutbusters. Really don't forget the objectives. It's so easy to just charge in, but if you want to win against a though army like seraphon. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ulfast said:

Most players seem to prefer Gluttons in blocks of 12. The discount is good, and they become a perfect target for your buffs.

If you want to go Beastclaw anyway, you can’t go wrong with a sc, which is quite a steal in price to points ratio. Mournfangs seem to do well at the Moment even in 2x2 or 1x4, and you get to build your first Stonehorn, which you’ll want anyway, and which is a nice opportunity to practice your magnetising skills. 😁

On 9/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, Jabbuk said:

So, what happened to the Great Mawpot? I'm interested to get into Mawtribes faction but the thing has been out of stock for so long now, what's up with that? I'd like to be able to get that terrain piece as well. Does anyone know anything?

Terrain/Endless Spells are made in China I believe, which might've compounded stock for it compared to other models they produce in the UK.

19 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Yeah, not really. Scaly Skin is really rough for Ogors to deal with. The main thing you can do is avoid 2-damage weapons, which lose 50% of their effectiveness (while 3-damage weapons only lose 33%, etc). Also focus on all the ways you can deal mortal wounds instead of traditional damage.

That, and take some solace in the fact that at least the Scaly ones can't teleport or summon more lizards! Seraphon are a really strong army in general.

Is Scaly Skin an army allegiance trait or a buff they give their army?  I haven't had the new Seraphon experience yet.  I've heard they have a bunch of little shooty guys and killer magic.  

Those Iron Fists and Grasp of the Everwinter (plus Trampling) sound like a good combo vs the lizards.

10 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Is Scaly Skin an army allegiance trait or a buff they give their army? 

It's an allegiance trait: they can choose Coalesced or Starborne.  

Coalesced gets Scaly Skin as part of the package, which makes Ogors look pretty sad.

But Starborne is more popular and the competitive go-to.  They're both amazing, but Starborne gives them free teleports every turn, and summoning.  As well as a CA within one of the Starborne tribes that lets Skinks fire overwatch after you charge, and then retreat.

• Thanks 1

Wow, overwatch?  Stormcast have something like that I think, but not the retreat part.  They can try to retreat, but if there's cats behind them the Skinkies will have nowhere to run!   Free teleports are hard to beat (see: Changehost).

Maybe when we get MegaGargants as allies that will rebalance the 'scales'.  😀buh dum dum

• Haha 2

So I've started thinking about painting up my beastclaw raiders, and the place I always start is listbuilding. I threw this together:

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Thunderbellies
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- Artefact: Shatterstone
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait: Storm Chaser
- Artefact: Alvagr Rune-tokens
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (300)
- Blood Vulture
- Prayer: Keening Gale
- Mount Trait: Rimefrost Hide
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
Skal (100)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

I want to run thunderbellies since I like the lore and paint scheme, and mournfang are cool, but the lack of realm artifacts seems to hit frostlords hard unless they're in boulderhead. Would it be crazy to make a list without a frostlord in it?

is there anything else I should try to fit into the list? I know I want a hunter to take advantage of the shatterstone.

Is the priest worth it at 300? Or is he still ineffective at that cost?

I've been including the Huskard Priest in my lists, and honestly he's still pretty underwhelming at 300 points.

Making a list without a Frostlord in it isn't totally crazy, but you are giving up by far the best unit in the book. As long as you're happy with a "softer" list and aren't trying to win any tournaments, you should totally be able to have fun with it.

If you put a Huskard on Stonehorn in, you could also take a Eurlbad battalion - it's a significant upgrade for all your Mournfangs.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

I've been including the Huskard Priest in my lists, and honestly he's still pretty underwhelming at 300 points.

Making a list without a Frostlord in it isn't totally crazy, but you are giving up by far the best unit in the book. As long as you're happy with a "softer" list and aren't trying to win any tournaments, you should totally be able to have fun with it.

If you put a Huskard on Stonehorn in, you could also take a Eurlbad battalion - it's a significant upgrade for all your Mournfangs.

Yeah thats what I was considering, but Eurlbad + Frostlord is basically 2000 points, if I took a Eurlbad with no Frostlord I would have points to fit in a few extras like a hunter with some cats, but then I wouldn't have the frostlord.

6 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

Yeah thats what I was considering, but Eurlbad + Frostlord is basically 2000 points, if I took a Eurlbad with no Frostlord I would have points to fit in a few extras like a hunter with some cats, but then I wouldn't have the frostlord.

You can fit in a Hunter with the Eurlbad if you want that deepstrike (as long as you're not using him for damage output with the Skaal):

Spoiler

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
- General
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Hrothgorn (160)

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Units
3 x Hrothgorn's Mantrappers (0)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 84

I don't think that's a bad little army.

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

52 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

You can fit in a Hunter with the Eurlbad if you want that deepstrike (as long as you're not using him for damage output with the Skaal):

Hide contents

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
- General
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Hrothgorn (160)

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Units
3 x Hrothgorn's Mantrappers (0)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 84

I don't think that's a bad little army.

I think that your list is pretty interesting. I'm sure that i will copy your list. Thank's.

• Thanks 1