AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

On 8/22/2020 at 7:15 PM, Lord Krungharr said:I like that army list.  You have many tools at your disposal.

I would probably go with the Billowing Ash Cloud spell on the Firebelly and keep him running up close to the iron guts or stonehorn.  

Take the vulture on the Huskard    Good for sniping little heroes and it avoids the to hit roll altogether    Also he’s only 300 points now per the FAQ/Errata    

I would also probably change the Metalcruncher to Black Clatterhorn; if the Stonehorn runs into a tar pit horde of low save guys metalcruncher wont do much.  The rend-2 Frosthoof Mount trait can be pretty good too actually.  

Do you have a few bits you from which can make a cauldron?  Then one of your butchers could become a Slaughtermaster.   Same points but extra utility away from the mawpot.  

Thanks for your feedback. My huskard model only has a crossbow and no vulture. Maybe I try it next time. I love mortal wounds especially against Nighthaunts. The Metalcruncher really worked well.

I need to work on a cauldron for the slaughtermaster.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:12 PM, Grugg said:

Just noticed you have 2 artifacts: the mandatory splatter-cleaver on the FL but also have another on the first butcher.

Unless I'm mistaken, you have no battalion so you need to drop the wizardflesh apron.

In the campaign I conquered a region with a storm vault so I could  take an extra artefact.

I won the game, but I nearly lost it when I attacked with my Thundertusk when I should not have. The huskard is just plain  bad in close combat, he was killed by 13 Ghrimgast reapers in one close combat round. But ist was my mistake.

the Match Winners were the stonehorn (of course) and the firebelly ( fiery whirlwind is so strong).

My magic was working quite well, but I thought I did not had the resilience. I won with my firebelly having one wound, everything else died. Had  a small advantage in victory points.

Firey Whirlwind eh?  I'll have to relook at that, didn't seem notable at first glance.  Maybe I'll switch out my Tyrants or Leadbelchers for him to give it a 'whirl' :D

Forgot that Nighthaunts have bunches of 4+ saves and don't care about rend.  My buddy plays them often.  Trying the Eurlbad Friday, that's tons of MW from the Mournfangs I hope.

On 8/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, MKsmash said:

Fyreslayers is...tough. Their Hearthguard berserkers do a lot of damage. A lot. With mortal wounds. Attacking twice. Additionally, they're difficult to kill. Targeting their heroes will weaken them, but it'll still be dificult. Fyreslayers is probably the best melee army in the game.

Slaanesh has big nasty things called Keeper(s) of Secrets. They move fast and hit hard. Slaanesh also has good magic and some mean tricks, such as making you fight last. If you survive all this, they're relatively easy to kill. Be warned though: for every 2 Keepers you kill, he'll someone another one. Slaanesh has a lot of summoning, and it will be all KoS's.

Bloodgullet will give you the tools you need to buff your units. I have found no reason to use Meatfist - bad ability, bad artefact, mediocre CA, and mediocre CT.

Use FLoSH's - they're fast, powerful, and hard to kill. Ironguts are also solid, doing lots of damage. I would not take Leadbelchers against Fyreslayers, their shots won't be enough to be effective. They wouldn't be bad against Slaanesh, though. Gluttons will at the very least provide a great screen, they should be able to do damage. Fyreslayers are very strong in general, Slaanesh is pretty good but punishes the high wound count of Mawtribes.

Good solid advice there mate.....thank you. I'll heed your wise words.....so leadbelchers and ironblasters for slaanesh and stick with ironguts and frostlord on stonehorn for the fyreslayers 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Gutlord just to expand on that, Fyreslayers are game-breaking in melee.  You need to set a trap to be able to fight them at all.

If you let them charge you, they will kill your Frostlord.

If you charge them, they will spend a CP, fight first and kill your Frostlord.

There are a couple of ways around this, but it all involves throwing something under the bus, so you'll need some expendable units, such as Gnoblars or minimum Mournfang.

A classic set up would be to put some Gnoblars in front of you and set up 2.5" back.  He charges you and can only reach the screen, murders them, and now it's your turn to swing.  Your problem will be that FS get to swing again, and a single pile in from a Stonehorn is unlikely to do enough after their 4++ shrug to prevent them wiping you with their second swing (especially since you haven't charged).

Last time I played against FS, I was running a Bloodgullets list with  3 Stonehorns (various types), 12 Gluttons, a Butcher and some minimum Mournfang.  I slammed the Mournfang into his Hearthguard sideways on, then charged in the buffed Gluttons around the edge and only put one of them within 1/2" of the HGB.

He activated first because FS, but almost all of his attacks had to go into the Mournfang.  He massacred them and killed maybe one Glutton.  The other 11 Gluttons piled in 6" (thanks to Bloodgullets) and wiped the unit in return 😃

After that he charged in with his second unit of HGB and wiped the Gluttons, and I spent the rest of the game running away from his only scary unit, fighting his Heroes / Aurics / Vulkites, and scoring objectives.  I won the game, and I'd be pretty confident in the matchup going forward, but I wouldn't have been able to compete without that setup to lift one of his two big threats early on.

Key when setting this up is remembering the HGB have 2" melee range, so you have to keep most of your guys well back, but with a 6" pile in you should be able to make it work.

Another thing to remember is that your Blood Vultures can be key.  Depending on how many Aurics he can fit into his list (which aren't cheap), and the Battleplan, they'll often have one unit of HGB that only has a lone Hero supporting them.  If you can Vulture off that Hero before you engage, they become much easier to deal with.

Let us know how you get on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has Anyone ever tried fielding Trolls or Gargants in your lists?
What was your experience? Ar they a useful adition to our fat boys?

I tried my first gargant last week and it sucked big time. It was only working as a distraction carnifex until my opponent knew that he is trash and can mostly be ignored.

BUT a Gargant looks ****** amazing beside a big unit of Ogors!🥰 And i think the same would apply for a Troggboss with some Trogg friends.

268391D0-FC45-4938-BAE8-C493A4F14038.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 8/28/2020 at 12:37 AM, PlasticCraic said:

@Gutlord just to expand on that, Fyreslayers are game-breaking in melee.  You need to set a trap to be able to fight them at all.

If you let them charge you, they will kill your Frostlord.

If you charge them, they will spend a CP, fight first and kill your Frostlord.

There are a couple of ways around this, but it all involves throwing something under the bus, so you'll need some expendable units, such as Gnoblars or minimum Mournfang.

A classic set up would be to put some Gnoblars in front of you and set up 2.5" back.  He charges you and can only reach the screen, murders them, and now it's your turn to swing.  Your problem will be that FS get to swing again, and a single pile in from a Stonehorn is unlikely to do enough after their 4++ shrug to prevent them wiping you with their second swing (especially since you haven't charged).

Last time I played against FS, I was running a Bloodgullets list with  3 Stonehorns (various types), 12 Gluttons, a Butcher and some minimum Mournfang.  I slammed the Mournfang into his Hearthguard sideways on, then charged in the buffed Gluttons around the edge and only put one of them within 1/2" of the HGB.

He activated first because FS, but almost all of his attacks had to go into the Mournfang.  He massacred them and killed maybe one Glutton.  The other 11 Gluttons piled in 6" (thanks to Bloodgullets) and wiped the unit in return 😃

After that he charged in with his second unit of HGB and wiped the Gluttons, and I spent the rest of the game running away from his only scary unit, fighting his Heroes / Aurics / Vulkites, and scoring objectives.  I won the game, and I'd be pretty confident in the matchup going forward, but I wouldn't have been able to compete without that setup to lift one of his two big threats early on.

Key when setting this up is remembering the HGB have 2" melee range, so you have to keep most of your guys well back, but with a 6" pile in you should be able to make it work.

Another thing to remember is that your Blood Vultures can be key.  Depending on how many Aurics he can fit into his list (which aren't cheap), and the Battleplan, they'll often have one unit of HGB that only has a lone Hero supporting them.  If you can Vulture off that Hero before you engage, they become much easier to deal with.

Let us know how you get on!

Quality advice there mate, thank you! I do have 40 gnoblars (love that 2.5" screen idea) and always wanted an excuse to field them......looks like this is the time.

My area will be out of local lockdown next week so I should be taking them on next weekend....I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Has Anyone ever tried fielding Trolls or Gargants in your lists?
What was your experience? Ar they a useful adition to our fat boys?

I tried my first gargant last week and it sucked big time. It was only working as a distraction carnifex until my opponent knew that he is trash and can mostly be ignored.

BUT a Gargant looks ****** amazing beside a big unit of Ogors!🥰 And i think the same would apply for a Troggboss with some Trogg friends.

268391D0-FC45-4938-BAE8-C493A4F14038.jpeg

Awesome looking army thier mate.....I have used a gargant but only good for aesthetics really. I'm waiting for the Sons of Behemat release so I can field a mega gargant......hopefully for the points cost they should bring a lot of destruction to the table

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Awesome looking army thier mate.....I have used a gargant but only good for aesthetics really. I'm waiting for the Sons of Behemat release so I can field a mega gargant......hopefully for the points cost they should bring a lot of destruction to the table

Yeah, thanks mate.😉

I am in love with my Bloodgullet Ogors too. They worked their way up to be my favourite army leaving FEC, KO, BOC and OBR behind.

So we feel the same about the Gargant. Hopefully the rules for the Mancrusher Gargant will be a blast, so i can field this monster properly and my opponents will still fear him after they first played against him.

• Like 1

Had a fun game vs the Gitz yesterday with I think 140 Gobbos, and a big Spider wizard plus 3 Fungoid Shaman, and a little Spider Wizard, couple units of Fanatics, and a Loonboss.

I had Eurlbad w 2x4 Mournfangs (Vultures on both SHs), Tyrant/Skytitan Pistols running with 4 Leadbelchers, Hunter (general/Winter Ranger) with 6 Frost Sabres, Slaughermaster w Bloodrock Talisman.  

Starstrike Mission, I let him go first.  He got Scuttletide and Pendulum spells off and probably a few others but can't remember, as it didn't much matter when I crashed the Huskard and 4 Mournfangs into his left flank (big spider and 40 gitz).  Took til end of turn 2 but those were all gone by then and I had 2 points for the first objective that fell.  He did stab my other Mournfangs to death with his Loonboss backed 60 gitz unit (that's a nasty nasty combo) and I couldn't snipe the Loonboss due to crappy Ogor shooting+Look Out Sir+Dead Tricksy (a Loonboss thing).  But turn 3 I came over and trampled that little ****** with my SHBR whilst my Hunter/cats and Tyrant ate that unit of 20 Gitz to capture another objective and by then I was so far ahead on points he couldn't have caught up so we called it.  The fanatics didn't do anything at all as they popped out in my charge phase but then my trampling killed them off before they could strike and his second unit killed some Leadbelchers turn 3 but then got swatted by the Tyrant.

If he would've had another Loonboss with the 40 Gitz unit he could have for sure given me a bigger challenge.  His wizardry proved somewhat useful, but with an endless spell limit of 3 now, his plan to jam  me up with them was impossible.  

I really liked the Mournfangs; they do damage in both turns, in a few phases and are resilient and killy and fast.  Leadbelchers haven't done anything for me in my smattering of games with Ogors so far.  Tyrant was okay but I think a smashy Tyrant is better for non-Underguts, probably use him with Ironguts for a battalion/relic.  Slaughtermaster came in handy again, I really liked the Bloodrock Talisman even though I only get to unbind/dispel 1 per turn.

Next game I'm using 6 big monsters to see what happens.  Not sure if I'll use Boulderhead or BloodGullet just for the Splatter Cleaver, Nicedrop is decent too.  Boulderhead though for 3 Mount Traits and extra wounds and reroll charges CA is also solid.   Hmmmm

I'm thinking about getting some Fellwater Troggoths to ally with my Ogors, as Leadbelchers are just not doing it for me.  Of course they're shorter range but the healing, and hit on 2+ with rend-2 vomit, plus excellent melee attacks and -1 to hit them really makes me like the Fellwaters.  Guess they can't benefit from any of the Ogor buffs but Gutbusters really don't get a great Trampling Charge.

150/3 Fellwaters and 160/4 Leadbelchers.  Guess that's more wounds and model count with the Leadbelchers though.  Crazyness?

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm thinking about getting some Fellwater Troggoths to ally with my Ogors, as Leadbelchers are just not doing it for me.  Of course they're shorter range but the healing, and hit on 2+ with rend-2 vomit, plus excellent melee attacks and -1 to hit them really makes me like the Fellwaters.  Guess they can't benefit from any of the Ogor buffs but Gutbusters really don't get a great Trampling Charge.

150/3 Fellwaters and 160/4 Leadbelchers.  Guess that's more wounds and model count with the Leadbelchers though.  Crazyness?

I never played fellwater troggirhs. But I’ve taken a unit of 10 leadbelchers to almost every game in 2020 and they always deliver for me. 
They have a melee punch. Utility through their range attacks. Bodies. Trampling charge on a 4+. And very important, rend. 
but what I’ve seen in batreps, don’t think I even know anybody that owns fellwater trolls, they are a real roadblock unit with that -1 tot hit. Would be interesting to see how they fare for you. 

On 8/30/2020 at 4:09 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Next game I'm using 6 big monsters to see what happens.  Not sure if I'll use Boulderhead or BloodGullet just for the Splatter Cleaver, Nicedrop is decent too.  Boulderhead though for 3 Mount Traits and extra wounds and reroll charges CA is also solid.   Hmmmm

I can't really see Bloodgullet being worth it when you're not running any Butchers - you lose out on half their faction abilities! The Splatter-cleaver is unarguably awesome, but don't ignore the Brand of the Svard either, it's a big damage boost for any Stonehorn Hero. Boulderhead is where it's at, IMO. :)

• Like 1

Mmmyeah, and all those wonderful Mount traits too!   Would be be fun to see how such a sturdy fast nonmagical army fares against a heavy magical army.  Plenty of time to try both ways!

I think with the bloodgullet healing Route I would try to fit in the emerald lifeswarm and minimum Goremand too for extra Troggoth guts. 

11 hours ago, Kramer said:

I never played fellwater troggirhs. But I’ve taken a unit of 10 leadbelchers to almost every game in 2020 and they always deliver for me. 
They have a melee punch. Utility through their range attacks. Bodies. Trampling charge on a 4+. And very important, rend. 
but what I’ve seen in batreps, don’t think I even know anybody that owns fellwater trolls, they are a real roadblock unit with that -1 tot hit. Would be interesting to see how they fare for you. 

Maybe that’s what I’m missing , just MOAR leadbelchers.   If I get fellwaters I know I’m just gonna end up making a whole Troggoth army.   And then have to get more models and a tome and endless spells etc.  .... 

10 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Would be be fun to see how such a sturdy fast nonmagical army fares against a heavy magical army.

I played my six-monster list against Seraphon last week - the Beastclaws proved very oppressive for my opponent, locking him into his deployment zone for the whole game and hogging the objectives. Lord Kroak managed to nuke three of the six off the board, but was still overwhelmed by turn 4.

I also played against Kharadrons last night, where the Stonehorns managed to tank a double-turn of shooting from an Ironclad, Frigate, Khemist, Gunhaulers, Thunderers, Skywardens, Endrinriggers and an Endrinmaster. They still had enough oomph left to knock all the boats out of the sky and trample everyone.

Really enjoying the Monster Mash so far!

• Like 1

Monster Mash is the goal for any BCR player. Just so strong. I have been trying all types of variations of lists, trying to get that take on all-comers feel.

This is what I will run next I think

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Molten Entrails
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Ribcracker
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Greasy Deluge
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Huskard on Thundertusk (300)
- Blood Vulture
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm

Battleline
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 79

2 hours ago, Arcce said:

Monster Mash is the goal for any BCR player. Just so strong. I have been trying all types of variations of lists, trying to get that take on all-comers feel.

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
Slaughtermaster (140)
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

I really like this list, I think the potential healing from bloodgullet is strong - the splatter cleaver on FL on SH is such good value for keeping it in the fight.

I'd be really interested to see how the endless spells work in the list. I've been thinking of using cogs and lifeswarm in my own lists. Have you found yourself able to cast them with the potential for oppressive magic (slaan/croak and archan in my local game group with bonus to unbind)?

3 hours ago, Grugg said:

I really like this list, I think the potential healing from bloodgullet is strong - the splatter cleaver on FL on SH is such good value for keeping it in the fight.

I'd be really interested to see how the endless spells work in the list. I've been thinking of using cogs and lifeswarm in my own lists. Have you found yourself able to cast them with the potential for oppressive magic (slaan/croak and archan in my local game group with bonus to unbind)?

I worry about seraphon with Slaans but other than that i am not worried. with Mirror I can stay near pot for casting bonus for buff/debuffs and out of denying range for cogs

11 hours ago, Arcce said:

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
Slaughtermaster (140)
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Ooh now that’s interesting!   We wouldn’t be able to have Metalcruncher and Black Clatterhorn, only one mount trait unless it’s Boulderhead I think.   

Ive never used the Spell Portal.  That would be great for Gutmagics.   Time for a few more cats and another Slaughtermaster.  

13 hours ago, Kadeton said:

I played my six-monster list against Seraphon last week - the Beastclaws proved very oppressive for my opponent, locking him into his deployment zone for the whole game and hogging the objectives. Lord Kroak managed to nuke three of the six off the board, but was still overwhelmed by turn 4.

I also played against Kharadrons last night, where the Stonehorns managed to tank a double-turn of shooting from an Ironclad, Frigate, Khemist, Gunhaulers, Thunderers, Skywardens, Endrinriggers and an Endrinmaster. They still had enough oomph left to knock all the boats out of the sky and trample everyone.

Really enjoying the Monster Mash so far!

Awesome!  I’m very eager to get that ready for my next game(s).    Maybe it’s good I sprained my ankle and have to rest for a couple days 😬

1 minute ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Ooh now that’s interesting!   We wouldn’t be able to have Metalcruncher and Black Clatterhorn, only one mount trait unless it’s Boulderhead I think.   

Ive never used the Spell Portal.  That would be great for Gutmagics.   Time for a few more cats and another Slaughtermaster.  

Awesome!  I’m very eager to get that ready for my next game(s).    Maybe it’s good I sprained my ankle and have to rest for a couple days 😬

Each battalion you take lets you pick another mount trait.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I better go reread the rules.  That makes a battalion ever more worth taking!

Charly is right!! I never noticed it either but:

Page 78 - ogor mawtribes book:

You can choose one extra hero to have a mount trait for each warscroll battalion in your army.

1 hour ago, Grugg said:

Charly is right!! I never noticed it either but:

Page 78 - ogor mawtribes book:

You can choose one extra hero to have a mount trait for each warscroll battalion in your army.

Just so you know. That rule is in every army book with mount traits. So don’t be surprised if other armies do the same.