AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

I think GW is very afraid of making Artillery too powerful. except skaven I mean the Khorne writer was 100% intentional that Wrathmongers affected Skull Cannons supposedly. And then the FAQ shot it to the ground. And Greywater is seen as one of the weaker Cities of Sigmar.

That being said, come on a book is better than no book! I get it, people want to be up there with FEC or Slaanesh or Skaven, but as a BoC player (not slaanesh beasts mind you, I know I can abuse that!) I'm glad to have a pretty chunky book with all sorts of things to play around with. And it looks like Ogors are also pretty chunky.

I mean it could be worse, like using all your swifthawk agents as proxies!

• Like 2

Note from the above warscrolls:

Gorger gets +1 to hit with his claws and ambush ability is 9" instead of 12", otherwise unchanged

Yhetti's are totally untouched other than some wording clean-up on abilities. They've always been  good so that's fine, just give us a plastic model please...

Ironguts have been discussed, one thing I didn't catch before was the banner buff, it's d3 models instead of one, still an eh ability

Gnoblars: Screeching horde only requires 10+ models but no longer has a +2 attack tier. Also +1 to hit at range.

Frost Sabres: Wording cleanup only

Maneaters: Gulp attack added

Frostlord on Stonehorn: Aside from the already previewed change to earth-shattering charge, stone skeleton is now a 5+ FNP

Huskard on Thundertusk: Blood Vulture simplified to just 2+ 1 mortal wound, Frost Wreathed Ice massively reworked to favor attacking hordes instead of sniping heroes, Winters Strength buffed to +1 wound

Huskard of Stonehorn: Heavily reworked command ability that potentially allows massive damage from Mournfangs but references an ability on their scroll.

Icebrow Hunter: +1 to hit on club attacks and gulping attack added, Ambush ability changed so he doesn't need a battalion to bring one unit of cats, gained a command ability that gives +1 attacks to one unit of kitties. He's not hugely buffed, but ambushing with a large group of cats is probably not totally useless now.

Firebelly: Cascading Firecloak no longer does damage at the end of each combat phase, but gives the Firebelly +1 save

Slaughtermaster: +1 to hit with stump blades, plus a bite attack and 3 grot attacks.  He's a whirlwind of trash attacks. Cauldron basically unchanged, completely new spell that buffs gulping bites on Gluttons. Decent

Butcher: Has split weapon profiles now for some reason? You get rend or damage. My guy happens to have a hammer, so damage it is.  Also +1 to hit, an extra weapon attack, buffed weapon damage and the gulp, so quite a bit more capable in melee than before. Keeps the classic maw spell.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Walrustaco said:

Stonehorns lost run and charge.

So they did, good catch. Forgot that was buried in the wording of Earth-shattering charge.

Frost-Wreathed Ice change is, overall, a large nerf. 12 dice against a 20+ model unit averages to about 6 damage, and that's the optimal scenario. Which is fine, but they didn't buff Thundertusk melee or anything really as compensation. Hopefully the price goes down considerably.

Would be nice to get the Mournfang profile, I suspect they got a decent size buff, but impossible to confirm right now.

Looking at the rest of these...I can't help but be a bit crestfallen. Hardly anything was changed in warscrolls that desperately needed changes. Why does the cauldron butcher still need to be random? In any other book it'd be "pick one of the following effects." Why did they nerf the Thundertusk snowball, but not buff his melee or anything? Why are Maneaters cool models but still completely uninteresting rules-wise?

I don't want Ogors to be the next Slaanesh or Skaven, but like...did some of these even get looked at for more than a minute? Still holding out hope the book delivers more stuff to counterbalance some of this, so let's pray to the maw and find out.

10 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Why does the cauldron butcher still need to be random? In any other book it'd be "pick one of the following effects." Why did they nerf the Thundertusk snowball, but not buff his melee or anything? Why are Maneaters cool models but still completely uninteresting rules-wise?

Because they are finecast models that GW wants to slowly phase out imo

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Looking at the rest of these...I can't help but be a bit crestfallen. Hardly anything was changed in warscrolls that desperately needed changes. Why does the cauldron butcher still need to be random? In any other book it'd be "pick one of the following effects." Why did they nerf the Thundertusk snowball, but not buff his melee or anything? Why are Maneaters cool models but still completely uninteresting rules-wise?

I don't want Ogors to be the next Slaanesh or Skaven, but like...did some of these even get looked at for more than a minute? Still holding out hope the book delivers more stuff to counterbalance some of this, so let's pray to the maw and find out.

Maneaters should have unique warscrolls for each variant. That could have been hilarious, but they keep missing the opportunity.

• Like 1

The Thundertusk is uh, kind of bad now. 

It is slow, doesn't do much damage in melee and really doesn't do a huge amount shooting on average either.

I still think the Stonehorn will be solid, losing run and charge sucks, but the mount traits might make up for it.

Basic ogres look really damn solid

Edited by Black_Nexus

9 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Anyone got the Mournfang warscroll? 

I've been trying variations of this URL but no luck as yet:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos-mawtribes-warscroll-Mournfang-Pack-en.pdf

If you want to have a few guesses, just try changing the Warscroll name towards the end of the URL there :)

Might not have been uploaded yet though!

Edited by Gareth 🍄

Super excited to see what our battalions do, and also dont forget, we still have bits from our mawtribes that we haven't seen yet: artefacts, command abilities. There should even be generic gutbusters and BCR artefacts.

Theres mount traits, which should salvage the monsters. Also unseen command traits and our 2 spell lores!

• Like 2

The Slaughtermaster Cauldron being random is the biggest disservice I can imagine. What a total let down. It should've just been take D3 mortals to choose an effect to represent the guy lopping his own flesh off to cook. I'm sure when you get +1A it'll be worth it but without taking multiple that's hard to do...

Otherwise though the book looks cracking! Just baffles me that these AoS 1.0 GA abilities aren't changed...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Super excited to see what our battalions do, and also dont forget, we still have bits from our mawtribes that we haven't seen yet: artefacts, command abilities. There should even be generic gutbusters and BCR artefacts.

Theres mount traits, which should salvage the monsters. Also unseen command traits and our 2 spell lores!

I also suspect we'll see a list of prayers for the Huskard, beyond just the two on his scroll.