AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

On 6/19/2020 at 9:57 AM, Eorek said:

To be honest... even if cats were more expensive than Gorgers I'd still run cats due to the synergies with the hunter, how they fit into a skal and the potential screening you get from them. 

It seems to me that Gorgers' main strength is being able to drop single model units and testing your luck on MWs from trampling charge. Example, drop three single Gorgers as deepstrike, charge each at your target, on a good day two of them will make it with rerolls, and then you've got 18-24 dice to roll for trampling charge. Seems like a good way to ****** off your opponent.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Latty said:

It seems to me that Gorgers' main strength is being able to drop single model units and testing your luck on MWs from trampling charge. Example, drop three single Gorgers as deepstrike, charge each at your target, on a good day two of them will make it with rerolls, and then you've got 18-24 dice to roll for trampling charge. Seems like a good way to ****** off your opponent.

Valid points, Although this would require your opponent to make some real majour mistakes... Mistakes you can capitalize on with cats aswell,  which also will fill other roles. 

I am not sure though, might build a few gorgers and have a go with them, but I remain sceptical... How does one make Oni/yokai themed gorgers is the big question now...

Hiya.

Is the following artefact for the Frostlord only or the mount aswell?

Alvagr Rune-tokens: Once per battle, at the start of your hero phase, the bearer can use this artefact. If they do so, until the start of your next hero phase, you can re-roll hit and wound rolls for attacks made by the bearer and re-roll save rolls for attacks that target the bearer.

/D

On 6/22/2020 at 6:03 PM, Latty said:

Exactly. But the biggest problem of the Gorgers is that they have to appear turn 1. So they are effective just if your opponent make a deployment mistake. 

On 6/22/2020 at 6:03 PM, Latty said:

Besides being forced to arrive turn 1 (and we get first turn as we struggle with low drops especially with 3 gorgers) is that 18 to 24 dice is only 3 to 4 MW. So how much is that actually worth? It's a nice bonus though! Don't get me wrong. 

But I'm with @Eorek. Cat's with a hunter allows you to be more flexible with the same list. You can set everything or nothing in ambush. Arrive turn one or turn 4. It's so much more flexible. And forces choices on your opponent starting with the deployment. That's worth so much. 

Found a Feast of Bones this weekend when I ventured out to the FLGS for the first time in months, so I guess I’m all aboard the Ogor train! 😱

Having lots of fun converting these big lads already. Building the Scrap Launcher instead of the Iron Blaster leaves this guy free to become a Butcher! 

42949D22-5CB2-499D-AD33-0713B336995A.jpeg

1 hour ago, tamthethird said:

Found a Feast of Bones this weekend when I ventured out to the FLGS for the first time in months, so I guess I’m all aboard the Ogor train! 😱

Having lots of fun converting these big lads already. Building the Scrap Launcher instead of the Iron Blaster leaves this guy free to become a Butcher! 

42949D22-5CB2-499D-AD33-0713B336995A.jpeg

Enjoy! 
depending how much you value the lore, and seeing as you might have missed it if your new to the army, the butchers and slaughtermaster are the only ogor without gut plates.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 11:36 AM, Kramer said:

Besides being forced to arrive turn 1 (and we get first turn as we struggle with low drops especially with 3 gorgers) is that 18 to 24 dice is only 3 to 4 MW. So how much is that actually worth? It's a nice bonus though! Don't get me wrong. 

But I'm with @Eorek. Cat's with a hunter allows you to be more flexible with the same list. You can set everything or nothing in ambush. Arrive turn one or turn 4. It's so much more flexible. And forces choices on your opponent starting with the deployment. That's worth so much. 

Is it worth taking that Skal battalion for the ambushing cats?   Extra CP and relic are nice.  Lower drops to maybe get to go first.   Wonder if I could fit that and four ironblasters and a goremand and Tyrant in 2k points?   

I have the ironblasters and a butcher and 9 gluttons so far.  Picked up the battle tome also today.  

The gluttons have iron fists.  I’ve had decent luck with bloodwarriors and Azgorh spiteshields doing the same thing in the past.  But double weapons possibly getting extra hits seems solid on paper too.  What do experienced Ogors like for Gluttons?  And can we take a banner and a beast skull in 6 models?  Or just 1 or the other ?

I’m wondering if mixing gutbusters and beastclaw Raiders units in an army could have some flexible utility.    A stonehorn makes a potent distraction carnifex.   And can score an objective pretty well on its own!

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Is it worth taking that Skal battalion for the ambushing cats?   Extra CP and relic are nice.  Lower drops to maybe get to go first.   Wonder if I could fit that and four ironblasters and a goremand and Tyrant in 2k points?   

I have the ironblasters and a butcher and 9 gluttons so far.  Picked up the battle tome also today.  

The gluttons have iron fists.  I’ve had decent luck with bloodwarriors and Azgorh spiteshields doing the same thing in the past.  But double weapons possibly getting extra hits seems solid on paper too.  What do experienced Ogors like for Gluttons?  And can we take a banner and a beast skull in 6 models?  Or just 1 or the other ?

I’m wondering if mixing gutbusters and beastclaw Raiders units in an army could have some flexible utility.    A stonehorn makes a potent distraction carnifex.   And can score an objective pretty well on its own!

I'm good with only one battalion. And I rather take the Slaughtermaster one. In the new ghb the malign portents artefacts look like to be dropped. So the value of the battalions might drop a bit. 

In your case I would first get three more gluttons. That way you can play 2x6 or 1x12 gluttons for the horde discount. 

double weapons vs. iron fistis is a bit personal I feel. I have 12 of both and usually take 1x12 with double weapons. When they get in they usually get selected first and need to power through something. But I can definitely see the argument for iron fists. For example if you charge two units in the turn. It makes sense to pick the unit with iron fists last. Or if you take 2x6 for screening units and objectives. Then they will usually get hit first. 

Stonehorn is way more than a distraciton carnifex. It actually does real work. So yes, mixing works very well. It's when you try to make a low drop list that you are kinda forced to go one or the other imo. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HostilSpike said:

By the Gods, I hope these hero creation rules mean I can finally make Frostlords/Huskards on Mournfang...

Wouldn't see why not? You can select Ogor, and a monstrous mount. 😁

I'm more excited by the thought of an Tyrant on Mournfang.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

If one were to run all Beastclaw Monsters, would one prefer all Stonehorns or all Thundertusks?  Or do both belong in a pure monster mash?

Till now the Stonehorns are considered by far better than the Thundertusks. With the probably point reduction we will see... 

14 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

Till now the Stonehorns are considered by far better than the Thundertusks. With the probably point reduction we will see... 

Still stone horns. sadly. 

The bigger question for me is will we see many mounted characters when the common artefacts disappear? 

Maybe if we pick a Realm for our army, then we'll automatically have access to the Realm spell?  That would something I guess.  I expect the standard Realm artefacts to be pretty meh now too.  Ghyrstrike from Ghyran and Ignax's Scales/Thermalrider Cloak from Aqshy have been my go-to favorites (for Chaos stuff though).