AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Hrogthron seems very strong to me. Remember, a hunter and single dog is already 140, so the trap and gnoblars are only 20 pts. 

A single deepstrike is useful for objectives and the 2 small units (wolf and gnobs) seem useful for screens, holding backfield objectives or keeping away deepstrikers.

If I wasn't always making my hunter my general and losing the command trait I would take him without a doubt.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Frowny said:

Hrogthron seems very strong to me. Remember, a hunter and single dog is already 140, so the trap and gnoblars are only 20 pts. 

A single deepstrike is useful for objectives and the 2 small units (wolf and gnobs) seem useful for screens, holding backfield objectives or keeping away deepstrikers.

If I wasn't always making my hunter my general and losing the command trait I would take him without a doubt.

I think he’s awful. For the same 160 I’d rather just run an Icebrow and 2 dogs and lose the Gnoblars

Hrothgorn himself is worse than a Hunter. His ranged attack options are worse as he lacks the spear. He can’t have artefacts dumped onto him and he doesn’t have the Lead the Skal command ability which is situationally okay. 

I think I’d rather then second Sabre over the Gnoblars too 

1 hour ago, Rakkzul said:

So just bought my 1st BCR box, and I'm assembling the Mournfangs... Some lists run hand weapon+ironfist, some run 2 handed weapon... Should I build them in pairs? 2 with Hand weapon+ironfist and 2 with 2 handed weapon

Thx 

Personally I’d say: (besides going for rule of cool)

4 man unit with gargant hackers
2 man units with hand weapon + iron fist. 

its really close, smaller squads you can’t choose both to strike first, and harder to buff both. If you want them to do the damage go for 4 with gargant hackers and stack every buff you can find. 

• Like 1

I just picked up an ogor army, and am looking to find what is considered competitive for Ogor Mawtribes. Looking through this thread I have seen some say that multiple FLOSH with either an icebrow hunter or one of the frost lords as the general.

Here is my take on a competitive list:

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Slaughtermaster (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
8 x Ironguts (440)

Battalions
Goremand (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

I would like to see what others think.

8 minutes ago, Sephiroth00055 said:

I just picked up an ogor army, and am looking to find what is considered competitive for Ogor Mawtribes. Looking through this thread I have seen some say that multiple FLOSH with either an icebrow hunter or one of the frost lords as the general.

Here is my take on a competitive list:

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
Slaughtermaster (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
8 x Ironguts (440)

Battalions
Goremand (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 128

I would like to see what others think.

Looks good. But just from a purely competitive standpoint. You’re better of dropping 2 leadbelchers and upgrading your huskard to a Frostlord. 
lesdbelchers don’t do much in small squads in my experience (great at 10 man though) and Frostlord is a straight up better damage dealer than the huskard. Which arguably has a place to buff mournfang, but you have none. 

yhe big question with this list is, if you have the power to really break through lines to get to objectives if needed. That’s where the hunter usually comes in. Even only as a threat he’s worth his points in gold. 
But plenty of things to hit and survive with. 

The issue with dropping the two leadbelchers is that would take me below the three required battlelines for 2000 points. I could drop four of the ironguts, which gets me 220. Eighty for the stonehorn lord, and then 140 to spend on whatever. I could get a butcher, but that would take me to four drops. I am not sure what I should do with those points. Any suggestions?

I always find it really difficult to build lists like yours which try to go in several directions - you've got basically nothing you can flex to adjust your list.

Heck, I'd be tempted to drop the Huskard entirely, replace him with another 8 Leadbelchers and swap to Underguts instead, just keeping the ethereal Frostlord as your "splash" into BCR.

To get the most out of Boulderhead, you're basically looking at a completely different list. (Start with two Frostlords and a Eurlbad, go from there.)

That said, play the army that you want to play!

45 minutes ago, Sephiroth00055 said:

The issue with dropping the two leadbelchers is that would take me below the three required battlelines for 2000 points. I could drop four of the ironguts, which gets me 220. Eighty for the stonehorn lord, and then 140 to spend on whatever. I could get a butcher, but that would take me to four drops. I am not sure what I should do with those points. Any suggestions?

Oh missed that! True that indeed. Point hungry army indeed. I’ll have a think. But @Kadeton might be right. You might need to start from scratch. 
check the rol of every unit. 12 Ogors are great and the offer board control and staying power. Ironguts less so but more punch. Same goes for the non eatheral stone horn. So do you drop something there? Or just duck out of  magic all together? Because as a buff piece the slaughtermaster is quite expensive and as a wizard the classic combo butcher on balewind is better. 

My best smashlist so far is: 

Butcher, ethereal stonehorn, 10 leadbelchers, 8 ironguts, 12 ogors, in butcher band and a balewind. 
two drops, 140 wounds, 1960 points. Still undecided on spending the remaining 40 on 2 sabre tusks for screening and objective grabbing, extra endless spell or just fish for the triumph. 

but honestly if we play a ‘competitive’ game I always start my list building with a hunter and 4 cats and go from there. Most fun thing from a gameplay perspective and arguably the most worthwhile as well. 

Hello,

This not the top tier list like Boulderhead, 2 frostlord & co. But do you think i can start some amateur / médium level tournament why that list ?  Which i can change ? I'm focusing on objectif hunter with classic x6 frost sabres, Hrothgorn for ambush / screen. Classic combo on wizard.

Big name : +3 for save

Tyrant(1).PDF

Edited by Zorki

38 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Oh missed that! True that indeed. Point hungry army indeed. I’ll have a think. But @Kadeton might be right. You might need to start from scratch. 
check the rol of every unit. 12 Ogors are great and the offer board control and staying power. Ironguts less so but more punch. Same goes for the non eatheral stone horn. So do you drop something there? Or just duck out of  magic all together? Because as a buff piece the slaughtermaster is quite expensive and as a wizard the classic combo butcher on balewind is better. 

My best smashlist so far is: 

Butcher, ethereal stonehorn, 10 leadbelchers, 8 ironguts, 12 ogors, in butcher band and a balewind. 
two drops, 140 wounds, 1960 points. Still undecided on spending the remaining 40 on 2 sabre tusks for screening and objective grabbing, extra endless spell or just fish for the triumph. 

but honestly if we play a ‘competitive’ game I always start my list building with a hunter and 4 cats and go from there. Most fun thing from a gameplay perspective and arguably the most worthwhile as well. 

Which mawtribe do you use for that list? Also do you think that the balewind vortex is worth it for just one butcher? Can you briefly explain the combo to me?

15 minutes ago, Sephiroth00055 said:

Which mawtribe do you use for that list? Also do you think that the balewind vortex is worth it for just one butcher? Can you briefly explain the combo to me?

Well honestly ‘classic combo butcher on balewind’ is just a fantastic alliteration ;) 

but it boils down to: we have great buff/debuff spells but ****** range and high casting rolls. And our 140pts wizards are one cast. So what I do, and check YouTube’s doom and darkness to see it in action, is set up my butcher next to the mawpot on a balewind. Now I have more range, can cast twice*, and something protecting a home objective. Now it needs some protection but that also usually means I get to heal an extra time which is a nice added bonus. Two heals is average for my games I think.

So far I've played it as bloodgullet. Command ability works nice with the Gluttons. The extra spell works nice with the extra cast. The Command trait would be nice but rarely in range. Splattercleaver is an extra heal potentially, but rarely helps me. 

But again, this is a 'smash' list. If I don't know the scenarios I'd go for a more balanced list and I'd really want a hunter with my cats :) 
*which is why I’m considering another endless spell

1 hour ago, Zorki said:

Hello,

This not the top tier list like Boulderhead, 2 frostlord & co. But do you think i can start some amateur / médium level tournament why that list ?  Which i can change ? I'm focusing on objectif hunter with classic x6 frost sabres, Hrothgorn for ambush / screen. Classic combo on wizard.

Big name : +3 for save

Tyrant(1).PDF 1.11 MB · 0 downloads

What’s your plan with the second hunter? Great model but he might be a bit redundant if you already bring a hunter :) 

together with the gut guard battalion (you want the wounds on the tyrant not the ironguts) you could save 280 points. And you’re not using your 3rd artefact choice as is currently ;) 

Some error on my list, right.

My plan was to manage objectif, do you think 2 ambush are worth it ?

I already change my list, for something more "usual" swaping the butcher but to be honest with you that just for including the Hrothgorn's Mantrappers. Loosing the butcher with 2 spells was rought.. I love the  Hrothgorn's Mantrappers model for sur 🤣

Tyrant(2).PDF

48 minutes ago, sabres1226 said:

Why do you consider a hunter an auto-include for balanced lists? Just the back line harrasment?

It's the only jack of all trades we have. Just some of the things that I did with them recently/are incredibly useful in different situations:

1. Kept him and the cats as my last drop. My opponent, Shooty Skaven, spread out several units to keep his shooting save. Saved me going through an extra layer of screens. Preventing a turn of Warp lightning to the face is massive. (also meant that his 5 wound wizards were further forward but that was a bad play on his side)

2. Played vs KO with the new book. So jumping frigate full of thunderers was a big threat to me in Scorched earth. Especially with it being length wise now. But I kept my Hunter in ambush and that kept him playing too careful. Waited a turn and moved in with a chance of a double. Didn't get it, scraped out a minor. If I got it, it would have been a Major. Without the hunter he could have left his back two objectives free. I'm pretty sure he would have Flown High behind me in that case just to split my forces. 

3. More of an general one. During set up I have three options:
- Set cats and hunter in Ambush and not only have them up my sleeves. But forcing my opponent to make though choices.
- Set up the cats as a fast screen but the hunter in Ambush. Little bit of both. Protecting a hero for that scenario, or to heal near the pot, etc. 
- Set them all up on the field if the scenario requires/warrants it. And still have useful screens and objective grabbers in the cats, and HERO unit. which is useful for several uses. 

and I could go on, but the point is probably clear. Super useful units if you have to play several opponents and scenarios with one list. :) 

I watched some of Doom & Darknesses videos, and came up with this list:

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- General
- Tenderiser
- Command Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Molten Entrails
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Greasy Deluge
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Goremand (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 147

Not sold on the Quicksilver swords, but I had 40 points left over, and didnt know what to do with them. Let me know what you guys think.

10 minutes ago, Sephiroth00055 said:

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- General
- Tenderiser
Slaughtermaster (140)

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Goremand (140)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Not sold on the Quicksilver swords, but I had 40 points left over, and didnt know what to do with them. Let me know what you guys think.

Looks very solid to me. I’ve preached the hunter long enough now ;)  

this list will do work. If you get the chance also give switching 12 gluttons for 10 leadbelchers a chance. Due to their rend it gives you but more options. And lowers your drops by one. Which might be useful. I’ve been very happy with 12 gluttons and 10 leadbelchers. Slightly different roles but more choices is worth it to me. Just don’t forget to play them as a combat unit with bonus shooting. But the leadbelcher thing might be personal preference. 

Personnaly i think on face to face you're cool... Maybe agains Fyreslayer and OBR Petriflex rip. KO will and another fap army will probably take some avantage because off your mobilty. Your only triks is .. go in. FoS set is amazing.

Double gluttons x12 pack, on the paper was funny. On the table don't really work. Because no screen, random double turn. You need more rend i think. Maybe swap 1 glutton pack for 8 ironguts 🤔

Edited by Zorki

1 hour ago, Sephiroth00055 said:

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- General
- Tenderiser
Slaughtermaster (140)

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Goremand (140)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Why is the Butcher holding the Splatter cleaver and the general? I would expect that you want the SM to be closer to your line (due to Spinemarrow and the Butcher hanging back on the Vortex. So by that logic isn’t the SM the better general / SC wielder as he is more likely to be up close to the action? 

10 hours ago, Kramer said:

It's the only jack of all trades we have.

Thank you for the response, that makes sense.
Overall, do you feel like mawtribes have a good amount of versatility at a semi-competitive level? 
I know that there’s a good list of armies that can only really be played one way and for me that can get boring pretty fast. 
What is your guys experience running different types of lists (heavy infantry [no pun],  heavy magic,  heavy shooting, etc.)

Do all of those army comps. have a different feel when you play them or does it all kind of fold into the same general style of play.

I appreciate feedback from anybody, I’m pretty indecisive when it comes to picking an army so I feel like finding an army that can play multiple different ways will help me avoid some of that burnout.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, sabres1226 said:

Overall, do you feel like mawtribes have a good amount of versatility at a semi-competitive level? 
I know that there’s a good list of armies that can only really be played one way and for me that can get boring pretty fast. 
What is your guys experience running different types of lists (heavy infantry [no pun],  heavy magic,  heavy shooting, etc.)

that's a tricky question. For me Ogors are a 4 out 5 book in almost every regard. And that's a great thing if you want versatility. Meaning Tzeentch is a 5 out of 5 Magic army, Skaven is a 5 out of 5 board control army etc. And Ogors can do a lot of those playstyles fairly well imo. But nothing really excels that much that it's the one way to go. Frostlord on eathereal stonehorn is the one thing we have that's 'auto include' in that sense. Which on the whole is a great balanced book. 

You could do a all cav army and do well. That placed fairly high in several tournaments if I remember my Honest Wargamer facts correctly.
A Bloodgullut list with some endless spells stacked around a mawpot with lots of Ogor bodies would be a great board control list. 
Underguts is great fun, don't know how competitive. But it's a great way to play. Hang back a turn and then explode outwards. 
And then you have the 'netlist' style that's somewhere in the middle of beastclaw and Mawtribes. Butcher for support and unlocking battleline, 1 or 2 Frostlords, Gluttons for board control, Ironguts to hit hard. 

that being said there is no denying it will always be an elite army that needs to do its damage in combat and has very little trickery options  

It's such a point heavy army that it's quite easy/fast to build into one or the other. Get three start collecting boxes and you have an 2K army that's functions quite well. Add a butcher/Slaughtermaster and from there add Glutton units one at a time and you have multiple lists in no time. 

TLDR: to answer your question. Yes at a semi competitive level I do believe mawtribes is very versatile. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 2:05 AM, Kramer said:

TLDR: to answer your question. Yes at a semi competitive level I do believe mawtribes is very versatile. 

Well,

You have convinced me. I joined the mawtribes today with a BCR SC..

How do you suggest I kit out the Mournfangs?

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, sabres1226 said:

Well,

You have convinced me. I joined the mawtribes today with a BCR SC..

How do you suggest I kit out the Mournfangs?

I think when you math it out the damage difference is quite small. So I went with great hackers in a unit of four as I dislike 1” range on such large bases. 
I however have 4 more to do and might just go for two units of two with clubs and ironfist. Haven’t decided yet.  It with multiple small units it’s very likely that one of them gets hit before they strike  so the fists might be nice  

And welcome to the tribes!! There are also some great dedicated mawtribes Facebook pages. 

Edited by Kramer