AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

3 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

With the still limited knowledge we have, since these previews don't show everything in the tribes, I think Bloodgullet is the surefire best one of the Gutbuster factions. Extra spells and extra casts for your Butchers is simply amazing, as we know from Hallowheart. Meatfist feels like it doesn't give you much (+1 attack on bites is...okay? Since it's all units wholly within the area. The additional cp for your hero seems good, but then again, you want your Tyrant to be immediately killing anything he's in combat with. Underguts relies on how good the default Ironblaster is, combined with the point costs for it and the Leadbelchers (If the Belchers are like 90 points, I can see it working).

The Thunderbellies tribe looks lackluster to me unless Mournfang wind up extremely good. That artifact is just sad. The other two look good though so far.

Undergut has me very interested in how Ironblasters turnout (and points cost for leadbelchers). I could see myself going that direction. 18 inches means the leadbelchers might actually be able to shoot something without moving though I hope there's a way to boost their to hit.

I'm also wondering about battleline now.

6 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I think this is a subfaction ability and all of them get it. Even better in terms of overall strength but it neither confirms not denies mount traits

I would say it confirms mount traits because it specifically mentions them and gives a page number which would be nonsensical if they didn't have mount traits. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I think this is a subfaction ability and all of them get it. Even better in terms of overall strength but it neither confirms not denies mount traits

........ it specifically mentions mount traits and all getting rather than one (so one is for all factions and all is just for that sub faction), I would count that as confirmed! :)

Most of the subfactions seem interesting. Mass spells seems good leadbelchers maybe good then big fatties and the yeti, cat one fighting first and plus 1 to wound trait seems like it could have play (yeti currently being the best unit in the old book in terms of power to points). 

Edited by Reuben Parker

It seems like you can recharge the Mawpot if it is empty by slaying enemies:

OMT-Oct23-Battlebroth3sfg.jpg

While this consumes the cauldron’s contents, you can recharge the Great Mawpot by slaying nearby enemies. With one of these on your side, your ogors are going to be very hard to shift indeed…

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/25/rules-preview-new-endless-spells-and-scenerygw-homepage-post-3/

This could also be important for placement. If you place the Mawpot close to an objective (or if the enemies are in range of the refill ability), enemies might consider if they directly attack you, because if they get slain they might risk refilling the Mawpot

Edited by Infeston
  • Like 1

Do we know yet whether or not you must take a specific Mawtribe?  Like in Cities of Sigmar where you must pick a city?  I'm still curious if going "tribeless" will have it's benefits.  I'm mostly thinking as a former SCE player and how, if you wanted the amazing command ability Staunch Defender, you didn't use a named Stormhost.  If we have a similarly amazing CA, artifact, etc. that is an overwhelmingly good force multiplier, it might be something to consider.  While I doubt this will be the case, too much is still unknown.  For example, Bloodgullet says it boosts the ¨natural abilities of Ogor Gluttons with re-rolls.¨  Is that to hit? wound? both?  all or just 1s?  Too much still unknown to call.  Underguts could be great, but not if Ironblasters go unchanged.

FoB-Oct25-VEsselOfTheGulpingGod8serd.jpg

EDIT - A nice bonus to casters from the Mawpot.  Making the +1 to attacks that Butchers can take a little more reasonable, if still unreliable.

Edited by FPC

6 minutes ago, FPC said:

Do we know yet whether or not you must take a specific Mawtribe?  Like in Cities of Sigmar where you must pick a city?  I'm still curious if going "tribeless" will have it's benefits.  I'm mostly thinking as a former SCE player and how, if you wanted the amazing command ability Staunch Defender, you didn't use a named Stormhost.  If we have a similarly amazing CA, artifact, etc. that is an overwhelmingly good force multiplier, it might be something to consider.  While I doubt this will be the case, too much is still unknown.  For example, Bloodgullet says it boosts the ¨natural abilities of Ogor Gluttons with re-rolls.¨  Is that to hit? wound? both?  all or just 1s?  Too much still unknown to call.  Underguts could be great, but not if Ironblasters go unchanged.

I belive Cities were something different. This will go after the usual pattern of either general traits or picking a special one.

I wonde about the split here. No mention of a combined Tribe of BCR and Gutbusters or if we have to decide on one or can choose one from both etc.

I on my own love the caster ones. Upgrading all Butcher by one Tier sounds really powerfull. Meanwhile the Healing in the Army looks also quite sick. Still not sure which one suits my Ghost-Themed BCR the most

1 minute ago, Charleston said:

I belive Cities were something different. This will go after the usual pattern of either general traits or picking a special one.

I wonde about the split here. No mention of a combined Tribe of BCR and Gutbusters or if we have to decide on one or can choose one from both etc.

I on my own love the caster ones. Upgrading all Butcher by one Tier sounds really powerfull. Meanwhile the Healing in the Army looks also quite sick. Still not sure which one suits my Ghost-Themed BCR the most

The healing certainly does seem to be there in a meaningful way.  I wonder if this will encourage a more MSU style, or just some large blocks of Ogor goodness that are impossible to shift?

I’m hoping it’s possible to field a proper ogre army like the old days rather than just mashing BCR and Gutbusters together with no synergy between the two like the ironjawz and Bonesplittas. I do fear that we will just be Slaanesh fodder though because of the low save multi wound models, not that everyone else isn’t Slaanesh fodder anyway haha.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Nubl0 said:

I’m hoping it’s possible to field a proper ogre army like the old days rather than just mashing BCR and Gutbusters together with no synergy between the two like the ironjawz and Bonesplittas. I do fear that we will just be Slaanesh fodder though because of the low save multi wound models, not that everyone else isn’t Slaanesh fodder anyway haha.

Oh wow, I had not considered how all these regenerating wounds is going to be even worse for ogors vs slaanesh. Well...good thing I'm our group's slaanesh guy too. Haha!

So, out of curiosity, how hard would it be to convert Ogors into Leadbelchers? I’m thinking about splitting the new box with my friend who loves Death armies in general, and I’m thinking I may end up with the Leadbelchers faction. A really shooty army. Either that or a kitty focused army maybe? Anyways, ya, obviously depending on what can be battleline will affect what I can do, but I’m curious how possible it will be to get more guns out of the box than is intended. 

12 minutes ago, Fyrm said:

So, out of curiosity, how hard would it be to convert Ogors into Leadbelchers? I’m thinking about splitting the new box with my friend who loves Death armies in general, and I’m thinking I may end up with the Leadbelchers faction. A really shooty army. Either that or a kitty focused army maybe? Anyways, ya, obviously depending on what can be battleline will affect what I can do, but I’m curious how possible it will be to get more guns out of the box than is intended. 

The Ogor and Leadbelcher bodies are identical, it's just an arm and head swap - they fit perfectly. The set should come with the Leadbelcher cannon sprue which would give you enough bitz to make 4 Leadbelchers if you use two additional Ogor bodies. The existing plastic Ogor kits are all compatible with each another, even the riders on the big beasties have the same arm, head and gutplate fittings as the various Ogors on foot.

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

The Ogor and Leadbelcher bodies are identical, it's just an arm and head swap - they fit perfectly. The set should come with the Leadbelcher cannon sprue which would give you enough bitz to make 4 Leadbelchers if you use two additional Ogor bodies. The existing plastic Ogor kits are all compatible with each another, even the riders on the big beasties have the same arm, head and gutplate fittings as the various Ogors on foot.

Gareth speaks the truth. It is a supremely modular model line that not only makes kit bashing easy, but encouraged. On top of that the ironblaster is the same kit as the gnoblar scrap launcher and has a large amount of extra fun bits no matter which build you end up going with. Happy feasting!

• Like 1

Awesome! So worst case scenario, I can also purchase a bunch of bits online to convert all the other guys into a gun line as well! Cool, that is definitely a point in favor of going gun heavy for me!

Just something about an ogor gunline that makes me unnervingly giddy!

• Haha 1

Tyrant seems nice, still a rubbish command ability mind you. Also given that this set is 380 new Zealand how much do we reckon it will be pounds? My guess is seeing as the poor kiwis and aussies often get shafted on price it will be £140, seems to be the new standard they want for these sets.

Just now, Walrustaco said:

Ok, so the Tyrant. Obviously choosing big names we already knew. No idea what a garrison is. Feel like Fateseeker or Deathcheater are gonna be my go-to's. I don't know what his weapon loadout means for the old tyrant weapons we know and love, hoping they stick around and this is just a warscroll to let you play straight out of the box. The command ability now seems to be unconditional. He can die and it still continues. Amazing! @Nubl0 you're very wrong haha. Slap it onto a 12 man unit of gluttons and its 48 unshiftable wounds.

The Ironblaster is so very disappointing. Was hoping for flat damage 6 at the very least. Maybe the underguts command ability will make them passable. Oh well.

Leadbelchers we have seen already.

Gluttons. A lot of changes here. We no longer get our reroll wound rerolls when we charge. Bummer. Our lookout gnoblars now dont save against mortal wounds. Beast banners lost their poor ability and got an awesome useful reroll charge rolls ability. Ironfists got the expected unmodified change. Paired weapons got a change I love in built-in exploding 6s! Pity about losing the reroll 1s. But we hit on 3s so... not so much a problem.

Hail Shot I think will be the way to go for the Ironblaster unless it's out of range. It's a little better in melee than before, also. Charging it into combat may not be the worst thing depending on it's point cost.

With the ShootySubfaction two Ironblasters with the command ability put out 4 canon shots, or 24 Hail Shots. There might be some potential there.

The Gluttons are the big winners here with 3+ to hit now and exploding 6's with paired weapons. These guys are gonna be the mainstay of any Gutbuster army. That said, everything else is...yeah, kind of nothing? I don't know how to feel about Ironblasters. They're kind of the same, but kind of not with hail fire.

Might be jumping the gun here, but the new Tyrant warscroll feels much, MUCH worse. We all knew we wouldn't be able to keep the unmodified Gutgouger shenanigans, but man...he only has 5 attacks, 2 of which are on the profile of some wizards. Even with the 6's to hit doing bonus stuff, the math of his profile just scream doing 3 damage every combat and whiffing (I know, I use Dankholds, and they almost never do anything). As much as it pains me, I think the only reason you take this guy now is to use his CA (which is awesome now, admittedly), and then run him into wherever and let him die---he's definitely not a damage dealer anymore.

Don't like being a downer...maybe there are traits or other things in the book that'll make up for the lackluster scrolls. I'm still really happy about the regular Ogor Gluttons' vast improvement though.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 1