AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Has anyone gone all in on a Skal list? Something like the below? Assuming it wouldn't go very well but I would be interested if someone has and how it went.

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)

Battleline

Units
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
10 x Frost Sabres (200)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 158

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, FattBooM666 said:

Going to a team tournament tomorrow, 4 man teams. 5 games starting on saturday.
Going with my underguts :) idk what i will get drafted against, there are some really strong lists there but I feel confident in my list.
I have chaff, ~ 200wounds, got some pressure from shooting, got some flanking/steal objectives/block hunter+sabres.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Underguts
Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General - Command Trait: Mass of Scars
Tyrant (160)
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
Battalions
Skal (100)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 197
Minimun drops: 10

I like it a lot, i would probably switch one of 12 gluttons to a frost lord on stonehorn so you have some melee rend and a distractive carnifex, but i think it will work great you probably will encounter difficult on high armor targets if they can deal with your ironblasters soon enough, like maybe petrifex with catapults though.

8 hours ago, GunslingerOy said:

Has anyone gone all in on a Skal list? Something like the below? Assuming it wouldn't go very well but I would be interested if someone has and how it went.

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)

Battleline

Units
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
10 x Frost Sabres (200)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 158

Maybe see if you can put them all in a skall each? That way you get more command points and maybe spam the command ability a bit 😂

Would be great fun though. 

22 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Maybe see if you can put them all in a skall each? That way you get more command points and maybe spam the command ability a bit 😂

Would be great fun though. 

No please don't do this xD

100p is worth 5 frost sabre models (yeah  ok, you buy them in pairs but you know what i mean) and 5 models has 15 attacks, does the extra cp you get out weight those 15 attacks?

If i would go an "all out frost sabre army" i would consider going tribeless (for that command trait on a hunter which gives d3 cp) or winterbite. but either way I would put aetherquartz brooch in and also buy an extra cp.

Maaaaybe go 2 battalions in winter bite to also get the artefact for hunters to get +1cp (first turn) and +1 save (so battalion + artefact gives 2 cp)

58 minutes ago, Sauriv said:

No please don't do this xD

100p is worth 5 frost sabre models (yeah  ok, you buy them in pairs but you know what i mean) and 5 models has 15 attacks, does the extra cp you get out weight those 15 attacks?

If i would go an "all out frost sabre army" i would consider going tribeless (for that command trait on a hunter which gives d3 cp) or winterbite. but either way I would put aetherquartz brooch in and also buy an extra cp.

Maaaaybe go 2 battalions in winter bite to also get the artefact for hunters to get +1cp (first turn) and +1 save (so battalion + artefact gives 2 cp)

Haha Fair enough. 

Edit: but as a general note, I will say that the comparison only works if you also get those extra 5 frost sabres into reach if you make a offensive comparison.

Edited by Kramer

Ok, so if I further leaned into this plan which I will only see myself doing if Giant army doesn't pay off... Each pack of Frost sabers are a different kinda of beast represented by a different themed Hunter. So thinking...

Spider riders minus the riders

Fenresine wolves (40k wolves)

Regular Frost sabers

The warcy bird beast (raptorxy or something)

Grph hounds

What is one or two more thing in I could go with? 

If anyone was looking to get some non GW gorgers or yhetees. Miniature Market is having another blowout sale on wrath of kings. Goritsi werewolves make great stand ins.

10 big Wolves   and 14 infantry  $10

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok05001.html

8 big Wolf  models for $8

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok05002.html

They may not be a perfect fit but they sure are cheap.

Flying rocket powered giant wolf $7

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok05014.html

Maybe not stonehorn sized but could make for more of a vicious mournfang mount.

• Thanks 1

Bit of a general question but I'm sure you guys will know the answer. With regards to line of sight, can you shoot through the gaps in between models to target units behind them?

So, for example I played against bonereapers last night and wanted to snipe there harvester who was behind a 30 man unit of mortek guard. The mortek where conger lining across the board to hold the objective but there where 1" gaps between the models and I wasnt sure if I could shoot through those gaps with my iron blasters to take out there harvester.

Just now, Gutlord said:

Bit of a general question but I'm sure you guys will know the answer. With regards to line of sight, can you shoot through the gaps in between models to target units behind them?

So, for example I played against bonereapers last night and wanted to snipe there harvester who was behind a 30 man unit of mortek guard. The mortek where conger lining across the board to hold the objective but there where 1" gaps between the models and I wasnt sure if I could shoot through those gaps with my iron blasters to take out there harvester.

Yes you can. 

17 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Yes. True line of sight. Even if the line blocking was entirely in base-to-base contact, as long as you can see part of the model you can shoot it.

33 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Awesome, so dose that apply even if your own troops are in the way?

And what do you measure off.....the base of the model making the shot? Or anywhere on the model?.....as in is the hight of the model relevant?

Sadly, the rules GW has put out for line of sight are very lacking. Sometimes you may have to rely on house rules for line of sight through scenery and such.

However, you can shoot through your own troops and you measure off of the base. 

43 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Awesome, so dose that apply even if your own troops are in the way?

And what do you measure off.....the base of the model making the shot? Or anywhere on the model?.....as in is the hight of the model relevant?

You measure range from the base and line of sight from the models head, "can my model actually see the target". 

Edited by Sauriv

Just now, MKsmash said:

Sadly, the rules GW has put out for line of sight are very lacking. Sometimes you may have to rely on house rules for line of sight through scenery and such.

However, you can shoot through your own troops and you measure off of the base. 

Cheers mate, yeah I looked into LOS when i first started AOS and was well confused.....better get myself a laser pen then 🤔

9 minutes ago, Sauriv said:

You measure range from the base and line of site from the models head, "can my model actually see the target". 

So it's from the models head?......what a weird rule. How would our scraplaunchers decide which of the 8  heads (rhinox included) to use😄 

I suppose a few gentlemen's rules have to apply with this topic but at least I know now

Edited by Gutlord

13 hours ago, Drastion said:

If anyone was looking to get some non GW gorgers or yhetees. Miniature Market is having another blowout sale on wrath of kings. Goritsi werewolves make great stand ins.

10 big Wolves   and 14 infantry  $10

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok05001.html

8 big Wolf  models for $8

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok05002.html

They may not be a perfect fit but they sure are cheap.

Flying rocket powered giant wolf $7

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok05014.html

Maybe not stonehorn sized but could make for more of a vicious mournfang mount.

I see you must be the man that beat me to some of my planned purchases.

Just as a note.

the werewolves are almost all on 40mm bases and are about the same height as ogres except for the special ones which go from slightly larger than a glutton to significantly taller than a tyrant.

I'm currently running an army made up of the old rackham plastic wolfen and these new wrath of kings stuff. One day i'll finish painting it and basing it and post pics

• Like 1

So I had a 1000k tournament today at a nearby FLGS. We played solely First Blood which I knew straight away would be good for some armies and bad for others. I decided it would be a good time to try some Boulderhead so I went 

FLoSH (400) - w/Brand of the Svard & Black Clatterhorn

SHBR (300)

SHBR (300)

Mawpot as well but i was not near it all game. 

Im not going to lie coming in to the tournament with 3 models was supposed to be a just for fun thing but man it did a lot more work than i thought it would. I think its mainly due to it being First Blood where barring tragedy im getting the command point up for grabs and no matter what, the enemy will have to fight me sooner or later. 

First game was against nighthaunt. I dont remember lists in their entirety but I believe they ran Reiknor, Mournghoul, Knight of Shrouds, 3 Spirit Hosts, 5-6 hexwraiths (forgot their unit size), and I think 10 reapers. The game maybe lasted 20 minutes? I was spiking dice left and right and completely tabled the spirit host, the hexwraiths, and all but one reaper even with one of my beastriders failing their charge. They tried to answer back by swarming their leaders in on the beastrider that had taken out the hexwraiths but I spiked saves hard and ended up only taking 2 damage on them. They got completely tabled over the next two turn, with the Knight of Shrouds getting one shot off of Trampling Charge. 

Next game I had faced off against Daughters of Khaine. My opponent ran Morathi, 2x20 Witch Aelves, and 2 hags. I gave her first turn, and she decided to run everything forward and tried charging but failed her charges (I think she wouldve been out of range even on a 12 but it was close). I proceeded to go in, pop the command ability on the SH that allowed me to reroll charges just to try and ensure as high of a trampling charge as possible, and with that + regular attacks and battleshock she lost all her witch aelves by the end of turn 1. This was my first time playing anything other than night haunt so I was not aware of Morathi's abilities but that 3 damage cap per turn is something else. The hag and Morathi were able to take down a stone horn but even with this my dice were still hot and I toppled Morathi over on turn 4 for the victory. 

The last matchup on the day I took on OBR, Couldnt tell you what leaders they ran since my memory isnt serving me well here but they ran 2 blocks of 20 Mortek and a unit of 3 stalkers which were a real pain to deal with since they could just blob them together. At this point my dice started getting more average, and I figured it would come down to if I was able to take out a unit of Mortek on the Alpha Strike alone. I wasnt able to, partly due to the fact of Lethargy being put on my leader from the OBR terrain piece. I got close to wiping them out, which wouldve made the game much easier on me, but they didnt and I slowly lost the game to attrition once they put down their endless spell that makes my models +1 to be hit on top of all of the bonereapers various abilities that allow them to get rend (petrifex, which I still think is a weird ability to give to that legion when you think of it). 

All in all I finished up 2-1, reaching second place and causing the most wounds on the day. Running this list felt dirty for the battleplan I wont lie. I felt bad for some armies because how is an army like Nighthaunt supposed to win a battle to the death? Hows anyone supposed to beat OBR when they're able to blob up? I came the closest to tableing them on the day by taking out all his Mortek but that was after the game was done & decided over. It looks like the next time they run one they will be doing objectives and either 1000-1500 points, which i think even if it was just objective battleplans thrown in it would automatically make things more balanced. 

I have some ideas on how to expand this list a little should it reach 1500. Perhaps maybe run Jorolbad or Eurlbad?  Maybe I should go for broke and bring a butcher+huskard on thundertusk? Im still mulling that over. Im wondering what realm artefact I could maybe give the FLoSH if I gave the Boulderhead Artefact to the Huskard on Stonehorn. Maybe Dimensional blade to give the Frost Spear -3 Rend? Or maybe give the realm artefact on the huskard and give him Ethereal Amulet or Jadewood Thorn so that in Eurlbad their fists would be doing 2 mortal wounds on 6's in addition to the rest of the profile. 

So finished my event yesterday. Was playing the attached list. Went 2-1 and came 3rd overall. If I had played the last 1 a little better/been on the ball more to check abilities I would have won undefeated!

1st Game was against Khorne and I forgot to use Hrothgorn and co the entire game, was Knife to the Heart though and my Stonehorns did massive amounts of work, both on tanking his Bloodthirsters and clearing the objectives of enough bodies to easily win at the end of round 3.

2nd game was Escalation against Slaanesh, made the mistake of forgetting their double attack and lost a FLoSH that would have dumpstered their KoS if I had activated them first. The nerfs really showed, at end of round 2 they had 92 Depravity, Luckily I won the roll to go first and killed almost all their units and heroes except their Epitome, they summoned a Keeper and 2 bladebringers in their turn but failed most charges. My general then charged the Bladebringers and mws from charge and then Metalcruncher took 1 out of commission before they got the chance to fight back. Ended up way ahead on objective points but was almost tabled before game ended, with just my FLoSH left on 3 wounds.

Main thoughts on this was that Hrothgorns trap actually kept them off the middle objective for the entire game because I trapped the terrain piece it was on. That won me the game on objectives. I ended up killing Hrothgorns Sabre to capture it myself.

3rd Game was Focal Points against LoN with Nagash. Was very tiring, he had been playing the entire day with 'misread' stats on his skeleton units. 5 attacks each and 5+ save with 4+ vs no rend. I didn't catch the save thing til after the first turn where they tanked my stonehorns charge more than they should have, also he didn't take battleshock tests which I thought was ok until after the game where I saw it was a CA from Nagash that he wasn't spending CPs on just saying it was the armies buff. SO that was annoying!

Despite that I still could have won if I played a little better, almost killed Nagash but made the mistake of not guaranteeing his death so he healed up and grinded me down. I very much felt the lack of magic in my army because of the debuffs layed down on my Stonehorns, and also units to fight Skeletons, stuff you don't want your Frost Lords doing.

Overall I am very happy with how I did though. I don't get to play much so for my first actual games with Ogors I did well. Made friends and was invited into a game next week so overall a win!

BCRBoulderhead.pdf

• Like 1

I am going to try a refined version of the list I played in the event. Concentrating on maximizing Boulderhead. Going for more of a focus on durability than speed, not that they won't still be fast. Eurlbad is great but requires more hits being thrown out to feel the benefit. If i use it again I will run more Mournfang. If not then Jorlbad for speed.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Frosthoof Bull
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth

Battleline
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 71

On 3/6/2020 at 8:05 PM, GunslingerOy said:

Ok, so if I further leaned into this plan which I will only see myself doing if Giant army doesn't pay off... Each pack of Frost sabers are a different kinda of beast represented by a different themed Hunter. So thinking...

Spider riders minus the riders

Fenresine wolves (40k wolves)

Regular Frost sabers

The warcy bird beast (raptorxy or something)

Grph hounds

What is one or two more thing in I could go with? 

Chaos Warhounds, also benefit from being on the right size base right out of the box (and cheap).

Guys i bought 2 feast of bones boxes.

2 tyrants(1 i would  convert into either butcher or hunter)

12 glutons

2 ironblasters 

4 leadbeltchers.

Could someone help me build a 2k army out of this. So i know what to buy next.

If possible more than one build so i can decide on what i like.

Ps:also bought the mawpot.

Thanks in advanced