AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

4 minutes ago, Karragon said:

Like @Walrustaco I was also at EGGS this weekend with a Stonehorn list (played on the table next to him game 4). I managed to go 3-2

My list was:

Hide contents

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Chaintrap
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Molten Entrails
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Greasy Deluge

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 81

Game 1 - Shifting Objectives vs Fyreslayers; 50 hearthguard with 2 allied gunhaulers. Very little to say about this one, the slaughter master tanked the canons from the gunhaulers for 2 turns then proceed to kill himself trying to heal and use his pot. Hearthguard do so much damage and don't die on a battleplan where they can just camp in the middle is brutal. Major Loss

Game 2 - Total Commitment vs Seraphon featuring Gotrek. Spent the game running away from Gotrek or feeding him mournfang whilst debuffing him with Greasy Deluge. The rest of the army was no match for a pair of charging Frost Lords and I managed to dislodge him from one of his objectives fairly early. Major Win

Game 3 - Starstrike vs Fyreslayers; 60 hearthguard. This was just a more painful version of game 1, of course most of the stars landed in the middle section of the table and I was just ground down by half naked dwarves that refused to die. Major Loss

Game 4 - Places of Arcane Power vs Fyreslayers...again. 30 Hearthguard Berzerkers and some Auric Hearthguard. A bloody game with 1300 kill points a side but never particularly close. I camped all 3 objectives from turn 1 and didn't give them up till turn 4. It took the HGB too long to kill the ethereal stonehorn and the mournfang managed to sneak round the back and take out most of his characters. This was the first time in the weekend that metalcruncher went off when a 1 wound remaining Grimwrath Berzerker charged the 1 wound remaining etheral stonehorn. The Grimwrath died then killed the stonehorn funny but too late to change the outcome. Major Win

Game 5 - Better Part of Valour vs Stormcast; Ballistas and Dracoline. His shooting was good and the Dracolines managed to kill the etheral stonehorn but I'd got too much on his side of the table in his flanks at that point. Huskard was the MVP this game, not only securing my opponents bottom objective but killing 39 allied pheonix guard, the general on dracoline, ballista and ordinator and half a unit of judicators. Major Win

A fun weekend all told, my opponents were all nice people. Though I was sick of the sight of half naked, mowhawked dwarves at the end of it. The army felt lacking in some way though, like I didn't have enough tactical choices. It can't zone out board space well with so few models, I can't be in enough places at once and my only battleplan seems to be "run across the table and smack things in the face". Which is a great plan until you smack into a unit that just doesn't die.

Haha where you carrying a severed dwarfs head for all those slayers to keep running at you 😂

but for real they are such a bad match up for us. Especially when playing bcr. For what it’s worth I do feel mawtribes has some of the best board presence options in the game. Will you try mixed or full gutbusters? 

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Haha where you carrying a severed dwarfs head for all those slayers to keep running at you 😂

but for real they are such a bad match up for us. Especially when playing bcr. For what it’s worth I do feel mawtribes has some of the best board presence options in the game. Will you try mixed or full gutbusters? 

They obviously thought I was the most likely person in the room to give them a glorious death, for many of them that was true. There were 5 fyreslayers players there and I played 3 of them, I only missed the other 2 as they were hanging around tables 1-10 all weekend.

I might try putting in a big unit of gluttons or maybe a max size unit of gnoblars but the big monsters are why I play the faction so won't drop them completely. An alternative I could try is 4 x 4 mournfang just to get more bodies and more dice rolling. Negatives to hit or wound are quite debilitating when only rolling a few dice I've found.

• Haha 1

Gutbusters were my first army.

The Leadbelcher remains one of my favorite models.  Just love the aesthetic.  I also love the idea of these cannons stuffed with battlefield detritus blasting away at the enemy only to be turned around and used as giant clubs to bash their opponent’s head in.

Love, love, love it.

What I don’t love us the actual War Scroll.

12”/d3/4+/3+/-1/1 just doesn’t match what I want to get out of these units in the Shooting Phase.  I’ve actually been much happier with their 1”/2/3+/3+-1/2 melee profile.  The issue with their Shooting is compounded by the lack of options to substantively buff it.  Sure you can 3xtend the range but that’s not been my issue.

What they need, in my opinion, is a Hero that can buff them.  I am in the process of kit bashing one to use in my narrative games.  Have some ideas as to what buff I want but thought I’d reach out on this thread to see if there are other better ideas?

I think you are thinking about them wrong. They are melee troops that happen to have a gun, not ranged troops.

Have you tried the gruesome trophy rack on the tyrant? +1 to hit at a lot of the targets you'd be shooting anyway.

My attempt

Ogor cannonmaster, 120 pts

Same stats as an icebrow hunter, except has a leadbelchers cannon at d2 instead of the assorted shooting weapons of the hunter. No frost breath.

soften em up! During hero phase, Pick an enemy unit within 24 inches. rr1s to hit for ranged attacks targetting that unit

Blast em to bites! Command ability- leadbelchers wholly within 12inches of this model gain +1 attack on their ranged weapons, models may only be affected once.

• RuneBrush changed the title to AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion
17 hours ago, Frowny said:

I think you are thinking about them wrong. They are melee troops that happen to have a gun, not ranged troops

I get what they ARE.  They just aren’t, as written, what I want them to be based on their aesthetic.

A good example of the disconnect between the aesthetic and the reality cane when we brought them out to try out their new tome as part of our new narrative cycle.  There were two lonely LBs trying to hold down a flank after the Skullcrushers had charged in walling off one unit of Ironguts and on the other side well buffed 40x Reavers had tied up the other block of Ironguts.  Things weren’t looking good for Bloodgullet!

But then the Khorne player (who again, hadn’t gone up against the new tome at all and thus didn’t know their WS) hesitated to move his Bloodwarriors and Mighty Lord Khorne up because he was worried I’d be able to snipe his HERO on my upcoming turn if he failed a long charge.  They just look that dangerous.  Once he realized what the actual probable damage output of them was he was pissed off that he didn’t go for it (costing himself potential VP in a very close game).

So yeah, in match play despite having better melee options in Ironguts I do basically treat them as upgraded Gluttons.  But I am fortunate to have a good narrative gaming group so I don’t have to just settle for what they are.  And rather than just rewrite the LB scroll think a LB hero (to be named Leadbelly of course) way to go in that context.

Thanks for the ideas in that direction.  I do like the idea of a specific ability/aura and a separate CA fir the LBs.

Hello Tyrants, got a 1000pt tournament coming up in a couple of weeks, I haven’t played much AOS in over a year now and I’m looking forward to getting back in, that said I have a couple of lists I was torn between, what are your thoughts? 

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders

- General

- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts 

- Artefact: Brand of the Svard 

- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Icebrow Hunter (120)

Battleline

2 x Mournfang Pack (140)

- Gargant Hackers

2 x Mournfang Pack (140)

- Gargant Hackers

Units

6 x Frost Sabres (120)

4 x Frost Sabres (80)

Total: 1000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Wounds: 64

- Mawtribe: Underguts

Leaders

Tyrant (160)

- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack 

- Big Name: Fateseeker

Icebrow Hunter (120)

- General

- Command Trait: Mass of Scars 

- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg 

Battleline

4 x Frost Sabres (80)

2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Units

4 x Leadbelchers (160)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

1 x Ironblaster (120)

2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions

Skal (100)

Total: 980 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Wounds: 69

I know one of the first tournament winning list was a horde of like 36 ogres. I don't necessarily care about top tier competitive. But is there hope for massed ogre lists?

I've been trying to big boi units of 12 gluttons and 1 8 man iron guts. 2 butchers and a tyrant + miscellaneous stuff . But I want to see if I am entirely barking up the wrong tree. I know there are some feelings that the tyrant is overcosted, but with ghyrstrike on the mace he feels relatively solid. I keep looking at the butcher statline and the damage says combat caster but the save says backline support.

7 minutes ago, Skoll said:

I know one of the first tournament winning list was a horde of like 36 ogres. I don't necessarily care about top tier competitive. But is there hope for massed ogre lists?

I've been trying to big boi units of 12 gluttons and 1 8 man iron guts. 2 butchers and a tyrant + miscellaneous stuff . But I want to see if I am entirely barking up the wrong tree. I know there are some feelings that the tyrant is overcosted, but with ghyrstrike on the mace he feels relatively solid. I keep looking at the butcher statline and the damage says combat caster but the save says backline support.

Some bloodgullet foot ogor lists have placed quite well. They had some 12 blocks in them too. They definitely have their place. They just tend to struggle vs stuff like OBR and slayers

2 hours ago, Skoll said:

Units of 12 gluttons are fantastic, in fact, I don't think you should take them in any other unit size.

8 man irongut units are also great, awesome for taking down... everything.

2 butchers/slaughtermasters is good, in some situations you may want one.

Tyrant honestly isnt great. He's nice at the start of a game to give battleshock immunity, but he's useless otherwise. Ghyrstrike on mace was good before the book came out. Now? It's a waste of an artefact. Not worth it on a model whose melee strength is so swingy that it would just be wasted.

The butcher's place is... complicated. The mawpot gives an awesome +1 to cast, and feels like it goes well with the poor save... BUT ALL THE SPELLS AND ABILITIES ARE SHORT RANGE!!!!!!! If you leave the casters back to do spells, they get a few off but then are left behind and stranded with their spells out of range. If you move them up, they are good combt casters but have magic that is often just a bit too unreliable. 

1 hour ago, MKsmash said:

Tyrant honestly isnt great. He's nice at the start of a game to give battleshock immunity, but he's useless otherwise. Ghyrstrike on mace was good before the book came out. Now? It's a waste of an artefact. Not worth it on a model whose melee strength is so swingy that it would just be wasted.

Im slightly confused at this part, 2+/2+/-2/d3 sounds like reliable damage. I mean sure i'd trade both spear attacks for 1 extra hammer attack but I cant do that so it is what it is. What would you recommend artifact wise in the book and who would it go on when not going for frostlord on stone horn? I dont feel like butchers have reliable enough statline to really be throwing artifacts their way 

So my army consists of lots of ogors on 40mm bases and I find that the tyrants ability is best used on ironguts. What I sometimes do is put 3 units of ironguts down (1 x 8, 2 x 4, 2 x 4), a unit of leadbelchers (1 × 4) and a unit of gluttons (1 × 6)...what tends to happen is one glutton or a leadbelcher flees if I'm playing aggressively and that let's me use 3 lots of "down to the iron guts" which my opponents always forget I have.

What would people do with the last 140 pts here? It's based on models I have so probably not super competitive. I was thinking adding a butcher? I have the models to add 2 more mournfang or an extra ironblaster but I'd be happy to buy anything really. Ignore the mortal realm I just picked a random one from the list. I could in theory downgrade the Stonehorn to Beastriders and add a tyrant? Think that's probably worse than a butcher though? 

image.png.f662d85c4857bf57d1507a67a7f5e06d.png

Edited by nkicik

4 hours ago, nkicik said:

What would people do with the last 140 pts here? It's based on models I have so probably not super competitive. I was thinking adding a butcher? I have the models to add 2 more mournfang or an extra ironblaster but I'd be happy to buy anything really. Ignore the mortal realm I just picked a random one from the list. I could in theory downgrade the Stonehorn to Beastriders and add a tyrant? Think that's probably worse than a butcher though? 

image.png.f662d85c4857bf57d1507a67a7f5e06d.png

Absolutely, with this i would aim to add a butcher especially if you run Bloodgullet. 

Another thing you can do if you dont have any more models right now is just to add the battalion Goremand, costs 140p and you include all really the necessary units. 

• Like 1

Are the battalions worth it just for the generic battalion bonuses?  All of the bonuses specific to the battalions don't seem worth having.  Getting the CP, the relic and reducing your drops vs having an extra 140 pts of stuff. I guess it probably is. 

54 minutes ago, nkicik said:

Are the battalions worth it just for the generic battalion bonuses?  All of the bonuses specific to the battalions don't seem worth having.  Getting the CP, the relic and reducing your drops vs having an extra 140 pts of stuff. I guess it probably is. 

Yeah it is usually. For you it would mean an command point that helps your list  protect against battleshock turn 1. It hurts if you get shot or charged turn 1 and lose some ironguts or gluttons before you have a chance to gain a command point. If you don’t need it for that re-Rolling ones to hit on those two units also massively helps. 
Next you get an extra artefact to make your huskard more killy or (which would be my suggestion) more survivable. 
You also get another mount trait fyi. But not relevant as you can’t take two on one model. 
And if you take the slaughtermaster, like me, to gamble on the +1 to hit. The goremand battalion also really helps. 
lastly you go from 7 to 4 drops. while you can still drop in 7 if you want to see where your opponent deploys. 

regarding your list. While a super cool model. One ironblaster sadly doesn’t do much 😞

so my suggestion would be. Drop the ironblaster. Get the goremand battalion and upgrade the huskard to a Frostlord. Give that Frostlord the eathereal amulet or the gryphfeather charm. That way you can just sent him off unsupported and he’ll do serieus work. Also add 2 frost sabres. They won’t do much but it’s a small screen turn 1 and fast enough to cheekily claim an objective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nkicik said:

Cheers, I have the frost sabre models as well already so that's easily doable. 

Yeah and let’s be honest. Also just go with your own gut and try different things out. See what works for you. 
for me I like tricksy plays so the hunter is a must for me. 
I wouldn’t choose ogors for the rules. I just love the models. 

17 hours ago, Skoll said:

Im slightly confused at this part, 2+/2+/-2/d3 sounds like reliable damage. I mean sure i'd trade both spear attacks for 1 extra hammer attack but I cant do that so it is what it is. What would you recommend artifact wise in the book and who would it go on when not going for frostlord on stone horn? I dont feel like butchers have reliable enough statline to really be throwing artifacts their way 

The attack only has 3 dice though. Saying "it is what it is" and taking a subpar model isn't a good idea. If you must take a tyrant, use Underguts and lots of Ironblasters so you can use the tyrant artefact "gruesome trophy rack." Artefacts should go on butcher/slaughtermaster if you're not using FLoSHs. The tyrant is the only other model who can take artefacts, and most of his aren't great. Use the wizardflesh apron or maybe the one that lets you cast an extra spell.

1 minute ago, MKsmash said:

The attack only has 3 dice though. Saying "it is what it is" and taking a subpar model isn't a good idea. If you must take a tyrant, use Underguts and lots of Ironblasters so you can use the tyrant artefact "gruesome trophy rack." Artefacts should go on butcher/slaughtermaster if you're not using FLoSHs. The tyrant is the only other model who can take artefacts, and most of his aren't great. Use the wizardflesh apron or maybe the one that lets you cast an extra spell.

With blood gullet, i find that im already casting the 4 spells i want to cast, rib cracker, blood feast, greasy deluge and the maw. I know the attack has only 3 dice but it seems our foot heroes are capping at that or getting split attack profiles. Not trying to be combative , it just seems like if the tyrant is already in the list giving him basically as near as guarantee as possible to his striking power isnt a waste. It's played out well vs KO where even iron guts seem to bounce off as long as the opponent has decent rolling 

2 minutes ago, Skoll said:

With blood gullet, i find that im already casting the 4 spells i want to cast, rib cracker, blood feast, greasy deluge and the maw. I know the attack has only 3 dice but it seems our foot heroes are capping at that or getting split attack profiles. Not trying to be combative , it just seems like if the tyrant is already in the list giving him basically as near as guarantee as possible to his striking power isnt a waste. It's played out well vs KO where even iron guts seem to bounce off as long as the opponent has decent rolling 

Well, if you have to give the Tyrant on artefact, maybe give him one of the Malign Sorcery ones. Gryph-feather charm is very good.

Or, put the splatter-cleaver on him.

3 minutes ago, Skoll said:

Well, if you have to give the Tyrant on artefact, maybe give him one of the Malign Sorcery ones. Gryph-feather charm is very good.

Or, put the splatter-cleaver on him.

Been trying to figure out how to do an Underguts list at 1k and I think I’ve cracked it. 
I wonder if gruesome trophy rack is that important at 1000 points, my original list had a butcher and ironguts instead of the skal but obviously no trophy rack and I’m not sure which would be better, what are your thoughts?

DE64E20C-CD03-4617-8CA5-283C32491616.png

Edited by Xelotath
May have to role 2 units of Leadblechers into 1 so they can protect the tyrant

Going to a team tournament tomorrow, 4 man teams. 5 games starting on saturday.
Going with my underguts :) idk what i will get drafted against, there are some really strong lists there but I feel confident in my list.
I have chaff, ~ 200wounds, got some pressure from shooting, got some flanking/steal objectives/block hunter+sabres.

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General - Command Trait: Mass of Scars
Tyrant (160)
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
Battalions
Skal (100)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 197
Minimun drops: 10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FattBooM666 said:

Going to a team tournament tomorrow, 4 man teams. 5 games starting on saturday.
Going with my underguts :) idk what i will get drafted against, there are some really strong lists there but I feel confident in my list.
I have chaff, ~ 200wounds, got some pressure from shooting, got some flanking/steal objectives/block hunter+sabres.

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General - Command Trait: Mass of Scars
Tyrant (160)
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
Battalions
Skal (100)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 197
Minimun drops: 10

Wow that list has some serious meat to it. Hope you do well!

• LOVE IT! 1