AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Anyone got the approximate length and width of a Mawpot? As Winterbite doesn’t cook but eats the meat frozen (at least according to the fluff of my army, which I am currently developing) I would really like to build my own (a Mongolian style meat storing tent).

Also, what would be a good material for a self-made base? I am thinking thin plywood. Anyone experience with that?

19 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Anyone got the approximate length and width of a Mawpot? As Winterbite doesn’t cook but eats the meat frozen (at least according to the fluff of my army, which I am currently developing) I would really like to build my own (a Mongolian style meat storing tent).

Also, what would be a good material for a self-made base? I am thinking thin plywood. Anyone experience with that?

The mawpot is like a rectangle and is 16-17cm long and 9-10cm wide depending where you measure. 

• Thanks 1

Decided I wasnt a big fan of both the butcher and Skrag models so wanted to kit bash my own. Happy with both although was wondering if anyone has any advice on a cauldron for the slaughtermaster? (the one with the stump blade will be the slaughtermaster, but just put him on a 50mm base so I can still use him as a butcher if desired)

20200227_201606.jpg

20200227_201506.jpg

31 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Decided I wasnt a big fan of both the butcher and Skrag models so wanted to kit bash my own. Happy with both although was wondering if anyone has any advice on a cauldron for the slaughtermaster? (the one with the stump blade will be the slaughtermaster, but just put him on a 50mm base so I can still use him as a butcher if desired)

20200227_201606.jpg

20200227_201506.jpg

Saw that somebody cut open a table tennis ball. It worked quite well if you put them on wheels. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Saw that somebody cut open a table tennis ball. It worked quite well if you put them on wheels. 

Cheers for the idea mate, didnt even consider using objects that dont come off a spru 😄

Dose anyone know how big skrags pot is? Also would need a couple of chains that connect to his back once the butcher is slotted into the base. (Mawpot has loads but they all get used on the model so none spare)

26 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Cheers for the idea mate, didnt even consider using objects that dont come off a spru 😄

Dose anyone know how big skrags pot is? Also would need a couple of chains that connect to his back once the butcher is slotted into the base. (Mawpot has loads but they all get used on the model so none spare)

Couldn’t tell you. but if you get the base first. You can just try out what looks good. 
most model shops (or online) have model chain which will work for that. 

8 hours ago, Kramer said:

Couldn’t tell you. but if you get the base first. You can just try out what looks good. 
most model shops (or online) have model chain which will work for that. 

Incidentally whilst on the subject of butchers and slaughtermasters, what's the general opinion on which is better? They're both 140pts after all. Dose base size and rend outweigh the great cauldron ability?

Had yesterday a game against Gloomspite. Played my usual list, but this time with an Jorlbad instedead of a Eurlbad. In general the whole game was a ton of fun and it became really really close at the end. We played the GHB19 version of Total Conquest and I barely lost with 14 to 15 VP. I made some serious mistakes that all became relevant: I gave my opponent Turn 1 so he could defend his Objectives better and got a chance to score one point in my half of the board, during a last heroic combat in which my last unit, the Frostlord, fought against some trolls, a remain of a squigherd and some bounders, I forgot the Steelmuncher-Mount Trait which was fatal as I needed every single wound possible to kill as much stuff before it killed me. So also a lot of lessons learned :) It was my first 1v1 against this friend who started GS some time ago and it was an amazing friendly atmosphere, so I guess there will be more games against GS. But the next time, I will be prepared! 

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-27 at 19.32.04.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-27 at 22.47.04.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-27 at 18.55.29.jpeg

• LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Incidentally whilst on the subject of butchers and slaughtermasters, what's the general opinion on which is better? They're both 140pts after all. Dose base size and rend outweigh the great cauldron ability?

To use the cauldron ability he needs to be close both to the enemy and to your own units to be able to buff and deal damage. I see the slaughtermaster as a buff piece who keep up with my gluttons and ironguts, while a butcher is more of a ranged caster.

I also usually put my butcher on a balewind vortex and give him debuff spells like ribcracker and give buffspells to the slaughtermaster like blood feast.

I see the slaughtermaster as a more offensive buff piece who need to be close to combat but try to keep him as safe as possible.     

51 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Depends on you gameplan. 
in my blooodgullet list I like both. My slaughtermaster to support a unit in a goreman battalion. And the butcher for the maw. But sometimes I feel two slaughtermasters would be better. 
but for my underguts list I like (not enough practice to be sure though) a single butcher. I hang back on a balewind, so the maw with extra range is Worth more than the pot. 

so how do you like to play? If fielding big units of Ogors. The slaughtermaster is absolutely worth it in a goremand battalion. Outside of that the cauldron abilities are to circumstantial and I’d rather take the butcher. (And maybe even the firebelly if I want a second caster)

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Depends on you gameplan. 
in my blooodgullet list I like both. My slaughtermaster to support a unit in a goreman battalion. And the butcher for the maw. But sometimes I feel two slaughtermasters would be better. 
but for my underguts list I like (not enough practice to be sure though) a single butcher. I hang back on a balewind, so the maw with extra range is Worth more than the pot. 

so how do you like to play? If fielding big units of Ogors. The slaughtermaster is absolutely worth it in a goremand battalion. Outside of that the cauldron abilities are to circumstantial and I’d rather take the butcher. (And maybe even the firebelly if I want a second caster)

Well to be fair I do have lots of units of ogors (gluttons, ironguts and leadbelchers) in my lists. Always use a tyrant as general, mostly meatfist mawtribe (although I'm thinking meatfist isnt that great compared to bloodgullet or underguts). Not really focused too much on BCR however I do use a huskard on stonehorn and recently got hrothgorn. I like the idea of a goremand battalion.....I'm guessing you use that in conjunction with a bloodgullet mawtribe?

16 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

Well to be fair I do have lots of units of ogors (gluttons, ironguts and leadbelchers) in my lists. Always use a tyrant as general, mostly meatfist mawtribe (although I'm thinking meatfist isnt that great compared to bloodgullet or underguts). Not really focused too much on BCR however I do use a huskard on stonehorn and recently got hrothgorn. I like the idea of a goremand battalion.....I'm guessing you use that in conjunction with a bloodgullet mawtribe?

Yeah I do. I prefer Bloodgullut over Meatfist personally. The best part of meatfist is the title of the command trait 😂

My bloodgullut list is still in 'development' but last game I ran:
Butcher, Slaughtermaster, 12 Gluttons, 10 Leadbelchers, 8 Ironguts, Gormand battalion, Hunter, 4 cats, 20 Gnoblars, Balewind. 

So the things I'm debating are: Changing butcher for slaughtermaster but that leaves me without a hero with a punch. Really want a Tyrant in there for the Splatter Cleaver & gnoblar battleshock immunity. But the slaughtermaster does give another unit a chance at +1 to hit.
Gnoblars are 50/50 for me currently. 40 with tyrant is a lot better. 
Splitting up the Ironguts. Advantages and disadvantages.
Figure out how to get a Frostlord in there. 

Things that are amazing. 10 Leadbelchers are great. A bit of an utility unit between ironguts and Gluttons. 
Hunter with cats are never leaving the list. (hopefully). If only for the pressure it applies to the opponent. 
12 Gluttons are just a pain to move for most opponents. Get them on an objective and that one is yours for 2 turns minimum. 
Ironguts are great. 8 is a bit between overkill and enough for me. So hence the indecision between 2x4 or just 1x8. 

Hope this helps.  

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Yeah I do. I prefer Bloodgullut over Meatfist personally. The best part of meatfist is the title of the command trait 😂

My bloodgullut list is still in 'development' but last game I ran:
Butcher, Slaughtermaster, 12 Gluttons, 10 Leadbelchers, 8 Ironguts, Gormand battalion, Hunter, 4 cats, 20 Gnoblars, Balewind. 

So the things I'm debating are: Changing butcher for slaughtermaster but that leaves me without a hero with a punch. Really want a Tyrant in there for the Splatter Cleaver & gnoblar battleshock immunity. But the slaughtermaster does give another unit a chance at +1 to hit.
Gnoblars are 50/50 for me currently. 40 with tyrant is a lot better. 
Splitting up the Ironguts. Advantages and disadvantages.
Figure out how to get a Frostlord in there. 

Things that are amazing. 10 Leadbelchers are great. A bit of an utility unit between ironguts and Gluttons. 
Hunter with cats are never leaving the list. (hopefully). If only for the pressure it applies to the opponent. 
12 Gluttons are just a pain to move for most opponents. Get them on an objective and that one is yours for 2 turns minimum. 
Ironguts are great. 8 is a bit between overkill and enough for me. So hence the indecision between 2x4 or just 1x8. 

Hope this helps.  

Some decent choices there mate, I suppose the only reason you'd want to take a butcher over a slaughtermaster is for the maw......but I've never been lucky with it to be honest ( best I ever did was kill 2 kurnoth hunters for 10 wounds) and I've been playing aos since it came out.

Tyrants are mint now we have an update....but I always find myself giving him the fateseeker big name (3+ save) as he's usually sniped in my battles. I suppose if you want to go gnoblar heavy hes an absolute must have in the army.

Gluttons are quality but only in a 12 block.....the discount you get from 9 to 12 is very good. I've been very impressed with leadbelchers....they are my objective holders as they pepper the enemy with d6 shots a piece before still hitting really hard in combat (actually prefer the -1 rend of the leadbelcher over the extra attack of a glutton). Iron guts are well hard, you need them with so much rend out there now. I use 1 unit of 4 and find that's enough to get the job done.

Frostlord on stonehorn is unreal mate, always wipes the floor with most of my opponents but you gotta lose a lot of good objective holders in your list to field one.

Never used a hunter or sabers before, wasnt a fan of the models but I have heard good things about them from tournament players

3 hours ago, Gutlord said:

Some decent choices there mate, I suppose the only reason you'd want to take a butcher over a slaughtermaster is for the maw......but I've never been lucky with it to be honest ( best I ever did was kill 2 kurnoth hunters for 10 wounds) and I've been playing aos since it came out

Its more what’s the fourth spell you want to cast? And I’m a sucker for the gamble of it ;)  although in most games he adds some melee kills to his tally.  Most ambushing units won’t remove him in a turn and being close to the pot means an extra heal. 

yrants are mint now we have an update....but I always find myself giving him the fateseeker big name (3+ save) as he's usually sniped in my battles. I suppose if you want to go gnoblar heavy hes an absolute must have in the army

💯 

actually prefer the -1 rend of the leadbelcher over the extra attack of a glutton)

I like having both. Gluttons are amazing horde clearers. Better than leadbelchers. But adding a frost Lord forces me to choose and I’m not yet certain which I prefer. 

Never used a hunter or sabers before, wasnt a fan of the models but I have heard good things about them from tournament players

Every time an army offers you an ambushing unit. Take it. No matter how pillow fisted they are. If they deploy differently because of it you’ve won deployment. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Its more what’s the fourth spell you want to cast? And I’m a sucker for the gamble of it ;)  although in most games he adds some melee kills to his tally.  Most ambushing units won’t remove him in a turn and being close to the pot means an extra heal. 

💯

I like having both. Gluttons are amazing horde clearers. Better than leadbelchers. But adding a frost Lord forces me to choose and I’m not yet certain which I prefer. 

Every time an army offers you an ambushing unit. Take it. No matter how pillow fisted they are. If they deploy differently because of it you’ve won deployment. 

With that ambushing advice in mind what do you make of gorges? I quite like the idea of using them but hate the models ( kit bashing ideas anyone?)

Answering a bunch of question thoughts in no particular order.

1) Butcher seems way better. The warscroll spell is just way way better, even just to do ~2 MW and finish off a wounded target is plenty good, and occasionally it just mulches their little support hero. Think about it like a better arcane bolt, not as a unit eater. Cast it first so you can plan your turn. The pot is super unreliable, and to me that makes it not useful. If I were going hardcore competitive it would be 2 butchers,

2) My 4th spell is the butcher spell. Also, arcane bolt and mystic shield also situationally very very useful and should not be underestimated (kill that 1 wound support character or  shield on an etheral stonehorn.

3) Any ambushers are amazing, but gorgers coming in only on Turn 1 though really really hurts their utility. if you want a cheap ambusher for objective threats, take a lone hunter instead. Gives you threat on later turns, which is most of the value. I've seen some people use crypt horrors as gorger conversions if you dislike the model.

6 hours ago, Gutlord said:

With that ambushing advice in mind what do you make of gorges? I quite like the idea of using them but hate the models ( kit bashing ideas anyone?)

I can only answer from a theoretical point of view as I never played them. But imo the hunter is better because: they can ambush after turn 1. They can decide during deployment to set up sabrecats normally as screens and just the hunter or nothing in ambush. Extra hero is handy for scenarios.

the one thing that should be better for gorgers is the te-roll to charge  but I usually have a command point left to do that anyway and the cats get +3 to charge on top of that when they ambush.

On the topic of ambushers. I think Archregent is pretty good given he gives you an actual good wizard and teleporting ghouls. Cave shaman is also just better than a butcher really. Command points are great and the durability is comparable. Here's the two in a list I made.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: None
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Winter Ranger
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- Allies (Tenebrous Court Mercenaries)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies

Battleline
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Units
8 x Ironguts (440)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Quicksilver Swords (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 330 / 400
Wounds: 88

Took Stonehorns to EGGS at Element Games. 2 day tournament. Went to 2-3, the 5th coming down to a lost priority roll.

List was the 2 frostlords, and a Jorlbad with 3×2 MF.

About 70% happy with the result, with it being my first 2 day tournament. But save for a changehost tabling turn 2, I can safely say the losses were down to my own misplays or a better opponent.

Felt like I learned a lot for sure. Appreciative to all my opponents for advice or just general chats/banter.

Was vs Tzeentch 1st. Daemons plus 6 skyfires and Kairos. No battalion. Shifting Objectives. Managed to table him. Felt like a decisive victory. Was feeling confident 😂 7VP

But then... doing so well game 1 put me on the top tables for game 2. I drew vs @Ben and his Morathi led Hagg Nar DoK. I realised uh oh, it's that fella whose forum I'm a nuisance on, he knows how to play. The scenario was Total Commitment. Not knowing how Morathi's transform worked, I 'Totally Committed' 3 stonehorns in one single clump in my deployment and she turn one charged me and killed my beastriders. Some other stuff happened and then I lost. @Ben had some sound advice for me in my games to come, while he went on to win the whole thing! 

Major Loss. 0VP (7)

Game 3 I drew Changehost. Starstrike. I got double turned and was tabled turn 2. Nice guy though! 😂 Major Loss 1VP (8)

Game 4 I drew Khorne with an awesome magmadroth mercenary. It was Places of Arcane Power. My Ethereal Stonehorn sat down on my left hand objective and never stood up again. Opponent was great fun. I got tabled as well. Major Victory 6VP (14)

Game 5 I drew Beasts of Chaos. Better Part of Valour. 2 drop list with more than a hundred models. Massive footprint. Lots of goats appearing on my board edge. Too many for my backline mournfang to handle. My stonehorns were beasts this game but it was a massive uphill battle with the sheer difference in board coverage. It ended up coming down to a priority roll to see who would get to burn his objectives. I lost the roll. Bit of a bummer! Nice guy though.  Major Loss 2VP (16)

Going to move back to Gutbusters now I think. These BCR style lists are too stressful for me haha.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 2/29/2020 at 7:35 AM, Gabelle1 said:

On the topic of ambushers. I think Archregent is pretty good given he gives you an actual good wizard and teleporting ghouls. Cave shaman is also just better than a butcher really. Command points are great and the durability is comparable. Here's the two in a list I made.

- Mawtribe: None
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Winter Ranger
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- Allies (Tenebrous Court Mercenaries)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies

Battleline
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Units
8 x Ironguts (440)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Quicksilver Swords (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 330 / 400
Wounds: 88

What’s the idea behind the sabers in groups of 2? Ok, they serve as cheap battleline. But that way the hunter can only ambush with max 2 of them. 340 pts seems like a high investment for not that much use. Bolstering one of the saber units to 6-8 would only add 80-120 pts and would actually make them a serious backline threat. 
Or you could go all in and instead of the Archregent ambush with hunter & 12+ sabers.

Edited by Beastmaster

Like @Walrustaco I was also at EGGS this weekend with a Stonehorn list (played on the table next to him game 4). I managed to go 3-2

My list was:

Spoiler

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Chaintrap
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Molten Entrails
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Greasy Deluge

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 81

Game 1 - Shifting Objectives vs Fyreslayers; 50 hearthguard with 2 allied gunhaulers. Very little to say about this one, the slaughter master tanked the canons from the gunhaulers for 2 turns then proceed to kill himself trying to heal and use his pot. Hearthguard do so much damage and don't die on a battleplan where they can just camp in the middle is brutal. Major Loss

Game 2 - Total Commitment vs Seraphon featuring Gotrek. Spent the game running away from Gotrek or feeding him mournfang whilst debuffing him with Greasy Deluge. The rest of the army was no match for a pair of charging Frost Lords and I managed to dislodge him from one of his objectives fairly early. Major Win

Game 3 - Starstrike vs Fyreslayers; 60 hearthguard. This was just a more painful version of game 1, of course most of the stars landed in the middle section of the table and I was just ground down by half naked dwarves that refused to die. Major Loss

Game 4 - Places of Arcane Power vs Fyreslayers...again. 30 Hearthguard Berzerkers and some Auric Hearthguard. A bloody game with 1300 kill points a side but never particularly close. I camped all 3 objectives from turn 1 and didn't give them up till turn 4. It took the HGB too long to kill the ethereal stonehorn and the mournfang managed to sneak round the back and take out most of his characters. This was the first time in the weekend that metalcruncher went off when a 1 wound remaining Grimwrath Berzerker charged the 1 wound remaining etheral stonehorn. The Grimwrath died then killed the stonehorn funny but too late to change the outcome. Major Win

Game 5 - Better Part of Valour vs Stormcast; Ballistas and Dracoline. His shooting was good and the Dracolines managed to kill the etheral stonehorn but I'd got too much on his side of the table in his flanks at that point. Huskard was the MVP this game, not only securing my opponents bottom objective but killing 39 allied pheonix guard, the general on dracoline, ballista and ordinator and half a unit of judicators. Major Win

A fun weekend all told, my opponents were all nice people. Though I was sick of the sight of half naked, mowhawked dwarves at the end of it. The army felt lacking in some way though, like I didn't have enough tactical choices. It can't zone out board space well with so few models, I can't be in enough places at once and my only battleplan seems to be "run across the table and smack things in the face". Which is a great plan until you smack into a unit that just doesn't die.

• LOVE IT! 2