AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

On 2/14/2020 at 11:59 AM, Dejnar said:

Hey you wise Masters of Destruction. More lists incoming. I have a tournament next saturday at have singled it down to the following two lists. Pros and cons on both of course. It's my first tournament and I'm not super competetive to be honest. But I want a well functioning list anyways.

1. Only Ogors. Gnoblars screen, Ironguts/Gluttons pile in 6" and wreck face. Slaughtermaster buffs and Butcher snipes heroes/wizards with curse and voracious maw. 

image.png.40dc2a82de7cb4010e96ace4097849af.png

2. Butcher snipes heroes/wizards with curse and maw. Slaughtermaster buffs. Ironguts kill stuff. Frostlords move up and get objectives, solo or together. 

image.png.2f1692001d14a701520eef8fd085824f.png

What do you guys think?

I want to love the first list more. But the second list probably does better. I'm not 100% sure Gluttons are good in the current meta.

@Dejnar conventional wisdom says list two I feel. 
but i personally think all guts can work but you just need to have the mindset not to out kill but to play the objectives. 
And the first list could do that. You have the two big blocks of gluttons* to hold and play board control but with enough punch to be a threat. 8 ironguts can clear most things especially with the slaughtermaster in tow. 20 gnoblars to zone and screen. 
But I’d just go for the dracoline heart instead of the apron. Just so you can play the objectives a bit longer. But that’s personal preference of course. 

*personally I switch out one for 10 leadbelchers. Would also lower your drops by 1 if you combine them with the 2 lose leadbelchers. 

On 2/14/2020 at 5:59 AM, Dejnar said:

Hey you wise Masters of Destruction. More lists incoming. I have a tournament next saturday at have singled it down to the following two lists. Pros and cons on both of course. It's my first tournament and I'm not super competetive to be honest. But I want a well functioning list anyways.

1. Only Ogors. Gnoblars screen, Ironguts/Gluttons pile in 6" and wreck face. Slaughtermaster buffs and Butcher snipes heroes/wizards with curse and voracious maw. 

image.png.40dc2a82de7cb4010e96ace4097849af.png

2. Butcher snipes heroes/wizards with curse and maw. Slaughtermaster buffs. Ironguts kill stuff. Frostlords move up and get objectives, solo or together. 

image.png.2f1692001d14a701520eef8fd085824f.png

What do you guys think?

I run exactly the first list and have had great success with it.

As for the second, I don't know. Having 8 Ironguts forces you to take a 3 unit of Gluttons, which is garbage.

I feel that you're forced to take poor battleline choices to fulfill the battalion and battleline requirements.

I'm about to start a Mawtribes army project based initially around a Bloodgullet list with a Goremand batallion backed up by a Frostlord on Stonehorn. The plan is to get the initial list plus a few extras ready for Armies on Parade.

With that in mind, I've got the Blood Bowl ogre team to use as a base for a Butcher and Slaughtermaster conversion. I'm looking for a part to use as a cauldron for the Slaughtermaster. Because I'm aiming for Armies on Parade I'd like this to be a GW component if at all possible. I'm struggling to find something suitable, though. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Edited by Rekt_ralf

1 hour ago, Rekt_ralf said:

I'm about to start a Mawtribes army project based initially around a Bloodgullet list with a Goremand batallion backed up by a Frostlord on Stonehorn. The plan is to get the initial list plus a few extras ready for Armies on Parade.

With that in mind, I've got the Blood Bowl ogre team to use as a base for a Butcher and Slaughtermaster conversion. I'm looking for a part to use as a cauldron for the Slaughtermaster. Because I'm aiming for Armies on Parade I'd like this to be a GW component if at all possible. I'm struggling to find something suitable, though. Has anyone got any suggestions?

The usual suggestions are the vampire coven throne cauldron, or the daughters of khaine cauldron of blood cauldron. Both are kind of shallow,  but have blood in them. The latter is hard to get because it’s integral to either build, but you might get lucky with the former as it isn’t used in the Mortis engine build. However, unless you can find the bit on its own, both kits are at least as expensive as just buying the slaughtermaster and using his cauldron! Not aware of any other GW cauldrons - you could use the tiny one from the stonehorn kit and make a joke out of it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Wastelands said:

The usual suggestions are the vampire coven throne cauldron, or the daughters of khaine cauldron of blood cauldron. Both are kind of shallow,  but have blood in them. The latter is hard to get because it’s integral to either build, but you might get lucky with the former as it isn’t used in the Mortis engine build. However, unless you can find the bit on its own, both kits are at least as expensive as just buying the slaughtermaster and using his cauldron! Not aware of any other GW cauldrons - you could use the tiny one from the stonehorn kit and make a joke out of it?

Brilliant, thanks. I thought of the DoK cauldron just after posting but didn't turn up anything on the bits sites or eBay. Throne Cauldron never occurred to me so I will try and source this. Although if worse comes to worst, I can probably buy the Start Collecting Malignants box and sell the Spirit Hosts and Hexwraithss to recover most of the value of the box.

My backup option is to do something with the baskets from the Scraplauncher/Ironblaster kit. Either construct some sort of table with some sprue bits and greenstuff and have it as a barbeque station with some of the meat bits from the Glutton kit. Or else see if I can pose the Gnoblars from the Blood Bowl kit to carry them, as if they are carrying top-ups from the Great Mawpot to the ladz. I'm also of a mind to do some greenstuff conversion on the Gnoblar holding a broken bottle - it could easily become a haunch of dwarf or something 😀

So I have an event coming up soon and my foot ogors will not be ready in time cause I am taking my time converting. 

So will be running pure BCR.

As its a small AoS scene here I am pretty sure I will be vsing a lot of Death w Nagash, including OBR as well tons of Skaven n CoS.

This I am hoping can take em all on. 

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- General
- Blood Vulture
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

1 hour ago, Arcce said:

So I have an event coming up soon and my foot ogors will not be ready in time cause I am taking my time converting. 

So will be running pure BCR.

As its a small AoS scene here I am pretty sure I will be vsing a lot of Death w Nagash, including OBR as well tons of Skaven n CoS.

This I am hoping can take em all on. 

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- General
- Blood Vulture
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

Make the thermalrider your general. He'll move 19 instead of 18. Gotta get as much out of the movement artefact as you can.

1 hour ago, Walrustaco said:

Make the thermalrider your general. He'll move 19 instead of 18. Gotta get as much out of the movement artefact as you can.

I had it like that originally, but not sure if I wanted to paint a big target on his back cause i want him to be free to use that movement and fly to destroykey targets. 

The big negative with Ogor's in my opinion is that there is too much cool stuff to fit in 2000pts. So just tallying the things I'm most excited by (big unit of gluttons, leadbelchers, and ironguts) and adding to that a stonehorn I'm about to start building, there is not much room left. So a butcher and a battalion later this would be all that fits, and there's no screening nor a hunter. but a good shot at a triumph and only 2 drops.

IMG_9011.PNG.05fe310346379917f1625af1dc737c50.PNG

Thoughts? I could also switch to a Slaughtermaster and 8 sabretusks by dropping the butcher and the balewind. It's super simple 4 big threats list with very little support. Depending on the opponent I can just sacrifice Leadbelchers of Gluttons as a screen. Maybe splitting up the leadblechers would be good for that. Would mean an extra drop though. 

57 minutes ago, Kramer said:

The big negative with Ogor's in my opinion is that there is too much cool stuff to fit in 2000pts. So just tallying the things I'm most excited by (big unit of gluttons, leadbelchers, and ironguts) and adding to that a stonehorn I'm about to start building, there is not much room left. So a butcher and a battalion later this would be all that fits, and there's no screening nor a hunter. but a good shot at a triumph and only 2 drops.

IMG_9011.PNG.05fe310346379917f1625af1dc737c50.PNG

Thoughts? I could also switch to a Slaughtermaster and 8 sabretusks by dropping the butcher and the balewind. It's super simple 4 big threats list with very little support. Depending on the opponent I can just sacrifice Leadbelchers of Gluttons as a screen. Maybe splitting up the leadblechers would be good for that. Would mean an extra drop though. 

Butcher's Band is 1-3 Leadbelchers so you can split that 10 in a variety of different ways and not impact your drops

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xelotath said:

Quick question, sorry if this has been covered beforehand but on Mournfang which weapon option is better? 3 damage on the hackers look nice but unreliable, would culling clubs be the way to go? 

Culling clubs are more consistent and math-out better vs no armor.  I like the -1 rend on the hackers. Also with larger units of Mournfang the 2” reach can really make a difference. But apart from that,  it’s BCR we’re talking here, GO BIG OR GO HOME, I say - of course gargantuas hackers!!!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

Doh that’s what I get for doing it from memory. 

Any thoughts on the effectiveness? 

I'm still learning the army so I can't give much anecdotal advise but personally I'd probably break the Leader belchers into 4/4/2 and grab 2 min units of Frostsabres. This will increase your drops but give you some screening and objective stealing options.

From the games I've played controlling who takes first turn doesn't seem that vital for Ogors

Yes, and you really really need a screen. I find ogors work best as a counterpunch arm. They hit your screen, then you clobber them harder. Despite a lot of wounds they aren't actually that sturdy for their points.

I would split the leadbelchers 4-2-2 and use the extra points to buy 20 gnoblars for a screen. Also gives you some little cheap units to go grab peripheral objectives so you don't always need to commit 400 points. Increases your drops to 3 but still likely to have turn order choice.

You could even drop a 2 more leadbelchers to get a 2nd wizard. 4 drops

I like black clatterhorn more than metalcruncher but that's just personal taste.

• Like 1

Good morning gents,

Managed to get a last minute ticket to Sheffield Slaughter this weekend and would like to run my Mawtribes if I can get them rebased in time. There's no realm artefacts, meaning no ethereal amulets / gryph feather charms etc so I was thinking of running an Underguts list with a load of firepower in it.

Gut Guard with a 3+ armour save and Mass of Scars for the Tyrant should keep him alive for a while (hopefully) to help support all the shooting buffs while the gluttons (who will be battleshock immune) run up the board. If I can snipe out wizards early on, this then frees up the slaughtermaster to cast blubbergrub stench to boost the cannons late game to finish stuff off.

It's a lot of drops but hopefully has a big enough wall to protect against alpha strikes, but also has the threat if given first turn.

Thoughts appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.40.02 PM.png

Edited by VonSmall

1 hour ago, VonSmall said:

Good morning gents,

Managed to get a last minute ticket to Sheffield Slaughter this weekend and would like to run my Mawtribes if I can get them rebased in time. There's no realm artefacts, meaning no ethereal amulets / gryph feather charms etc so I was thinking of running an Underguts list with a load of firepower in it.

Gut Guard with a 3+ armour save and Mass of Scars for the Tyrant should keep him alive for a while (hopefully) to help support all the shooting buffs while the gluttons (who will be battleshock immune) run up the board. If I can snipe out wizards early on, this then frees up the slaughtermaster to cast blubbergrub stench to boost the cannons late game to finish stuff off.

It's a lot of drops but hopefully has a big enough wall to protect against alpha strikes, but also has the threat if given first turn.

Thoughts appreciated!

I would swap spells on the butcher and the slaughtermaster and use the slaughtermaster more aggressive with the gluttons. This just to be close enough to buff the gluttons (or maybe ironguts) with +1 to hit from the cauldron ability and also buff them with blood feast. 

The butcher can be more passive and chill with the canons trying to cast his own spell och switch to blubbergrub stench when the canons need to charge. 

In Underguts in general I'm gonna use skal as battalion instead which is cheaper so i can have even more leadbelchers instead of ironguts and gluttons. And i will also spam units of 2 leadbelchers to make a hard time for my opponent to focus the attacks. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Frowny said:

Yes, and you really really need a screen. I find ogors work best as a counterpunch arm. They hit your screen, then you clobber them harder. Despite a lot of wounds they aren't actually that sturdy for their points.

I would split the leadbelchers 4-2-2 and use the extra points to buy 20 gnoblars for a screen. Also gives you some little cheap units to go grab peripheral objectives so you don't always need to commit 400 points. Increases your drops to 3 but still likely to have turn order choice.

You could even drop a 2 more leadbelchers to get a 2nd wizard. 4 drops

I like black clatterhorn more than metalcruncher but that's just personal taste.

Good advice. its just a shame that I like the 10 man leadbelchers as a group as well. I’ll give both a go. Your suggestion to drop a few to make room for gnoblars makes the most sense to me as well 

Yeah to me the metalcruncher’s ability to help bracket things before strike first. But I’ll definitely try both. because I do see the value of the clatterhorn ability. 

thanks again!

6 hours ago, VonSmall said:

Good morning gents,

Thoughts appreciated!

Gutguard's ability is widely considered bad as Irongut wounds are generally more valuable than Tyrant. You've got 20 spare points and all the required units so could consider swapping to either Butcher's Band or Goremand.

Edit: Just to expand a bit now that I'm home from work. It you think about Ironguts as a monster with a decreasing profile, every 3 wounds suffered hinders their output and board presence while the Tyrant fights the same regardless of damage until he takes 8 wounds. Alternatively Butcher's Band can heal him a wound a turn or Goremand has increased odds of hitting a heal from his cauldron. 

Edited by HostilSpike
  • Like 1

Hi again,

@HostilSpike Thanks for the input - i suppose I was just worried about something being able to kill the Tyrant in one go (ala Flamers etc) and him being so key to the whole army. In Butcher's band the same can be said of killing the Butcher, but there's nothing to keep the butcher alive. I like the Goremand from the perspective of double cauldron and reduced drops though.

@Sauriv - Good point re:spells. Originally I spread the spells so that each mage had a spell to buff combat but realistically I won't ever be casting the Slaughtermaster's base spell.

So getting back into AoS after selling off my nighthaunt, I have two SC: BCR boxes and the Ogor half of feast of bones, and probably an extra box (I was thinking leadbelchers to give me some options). So I was thinking something along the lines of the attached list, do you guys think there is a better way to configure the models, like should I grab a box of iron guts instead of leadbelchers?

- Mawtribe: Thunderbellies
LEADERS
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- General
- Command Trait : Storm Chaser
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Shatterstone
- Mount Trait : Black Clatterhorn

Tyrant (160)
- Artefact : Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols
- Big Name : Fateseeker

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)

- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
BEHEMOTHS
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)
BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

OMTonthecheap

Edited by grimgold
adding list instead of pdf

8 hours ago, grimgold said:

So getting back into AoS after selling off my nighthaunt, I have two SC: BCR boxes and the Ogor half of feast of bones, and probably an extra box (I was thinking leadbelchers to give me some options). So I was thinking something along the lines of the attached list, do you guys think there is a better way to configure the models, like should I grab a box of iron guts instead of leadbelchers?

- Mawtribe: Thunderbellies
LEADERS
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- General
- Command Trait : Storm Chaser
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Shatterstone
- Mount Trait : Black Clatterhorn

Tyrant (160)
- Artefact : Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols
- Big Name : Fateseeker

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)

- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
BEHEMOTHS
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)
BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

OMTonthecheap

I’d round this off with another 6 ogor gluttons, taking the unit up to 12 and getting the discount (should fit neatly within 2k as well, I think).  Unless I’m going pure BCR, I never leave home without a block of 12 gluttons.