AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Hey guys... 
I gotta trim up my collection some... I have too many armies. I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out what to get rid of. I don't play a lot (and split my games between several armies, so its hard for me to personally get a feel for the new book)..
Currently have: 
12 gluttons
8 ironguts
8 leadbelchers
1 ironblaster
1 scraplauncher
2 unbuilt ironblaster/scraplauncher
2 tyrants
2 slaughtermaster
1 butcher
4 Stonehorn/Thundertusk, enough magnetized to have lots of options. 
4 Mournfang
60 gnoblars

The only list I've tried so far is Bloodgullet and I liked it. Besides butchers and gluttons I can basically play whatever I want with that list.  I have already trimmed my gluttons down to 12. I figure all my lists will be 12 gluttons + 2 other smaller battlelines

On the chopping block
gnoblar -  I like the scraplauncher but do not like the gnoblars (i don't enjoy moving hordes around, and the models are meh. Plus i have a moonclan army).  Are gnoblars super great or is it ok to get rid of? Is scraplauncher playable without (or even with) junkmob? seems weak to me. maybe I will keep 1 just because i like the model. 
Ironblaster - what is the most you'd play in an underguts list? Is this list good? 
Mournfang - I don't want to get more than the 4 I have. I don't want to play thunderbellies, but it does allow me to try some BCR batallions... The movement isn't that special I guess due to the hungry allegiance ability (3" more isn't that much extra utility). I guess i can keep if this is just a really good warscroll but doesn't seem that special. 

26 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

@Drastion

The correct answer is always "It varies". Games Workshop has no official standard for what sorts of conversions are allowed, even at their official stores it varies based on management and the TO.

For unit identification purposes, you're on track - if it is on the right base size, vaguely the right scale and your opponent is unlikely to confuse it for something it's not, most people will be okay. You'll still be better off if you confirm it with them as a courtesy.

And I have no idea what Kugane is referring to with 'copyright claims'. Games Workshop maintains the LotR miniatures license, and you own the miniatures you're using, so copyright is irrelevant.  What's going to matter is if you're playing in a WYSIWYG event or if your local play site has policies around conversions and proxies.

From what I remember what I was told, when they take pictures at events and advertise/cover it on social media and articles, if they accidentally label a miniature as Age of Sigmar for example, they can get in trouble for wrongly using the LotR IP and can get their license revoked. 

I guess somewhere in their license there are rules what they may and may not use the IP of LotR as. My guess is that they are not allowed to falsely label anything LotR related as Warhammer? I was told it has to do with the copyright of the product.

I found out when I wanted to use some LotR stuff for freeguild conversions :/. I would have assumed since they own the license there would be no issue, but was told I CAN use warhammer 40k models for fantasy as a base for conversions since they own the full copyright, but I CAN NOT use LotR products. Even if heavily modified to look like AOS stuff.

1 minute ago, Kugane said:

From what I remember what I was told, when they take pictures at events and advertise/cover it on social media and articles, if they accidentally label a miniature as Age of Sigmar for example, they can get in trouble for wrongly using the LotR IP and can get their license revoked. 

I guess somewhere in their license there are rules what they may and may not use the IP of LotR as. My guess is that they are not allowed to falsely label anything LotR related as Warhammer? I was told it has to do with the copyright of the product.

I found out when I wanted to use some LotR stuff for freeguild conversions :/. I would have assumed since they own the license there would be no issue, but was told I CAN use warhammer 40k models for fantasy as a base for conversions since they own the full copyright, but I CAN NOT use LotR products. Even if heavily modified to look like AOS stuff.

So, that might be why the TO in question made those decisions, but that isn't a global policy - at least not one that's enforced. And nobody is getting their license revoked because a TO accidentally mislabeled an image on social media. The literal worst outcome of that is they go "Whoops, sorry!" and take the image down. In practical terms it's the job of the people making those posts to label images properly - also I think a greater concern for taking pictures of events to advertise is painting and basing requirements.

Source: Years of playing at a GW store (and in tournaments) against a guy using Gondor Knights as Roughriders.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

So, that might be why the TO in question made those decisions, but that isn't a global policy - at least not one that's enforced. And nobody is getting their license revoked because a TO accidentally mislabeled an image on social media. The literal worst outcome of that is they go "Whoops, sorry!" and take the image down. In practical terms it's the job of the people making those posts to label images properly - also I think a greater concern for taking pictures of events to advertise is painting and basing requirements.

Source: Years of playing at a GW store (and in tournaments) against a guy using Gondor Knights as Roughriders.

Thats good news and widens the conversion possibilities in that case. Also a bit sad to have been told wrong information from GW employees. But oh well, guess each shop has its own rules.

5 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Thats good news and widens the conversion possibilities in that case. Also a bit sad to have been told wrong information from GW employees. But oh well, guess each shop has its own rules.

Well, remember, it's up to the people at that store to implement whatever policies have come down from on high. So those employees might have been giving you the correct information at that time, for that space, for that event etc. I'm just saying the 'correct' thing is to check with the people who run the space you play at. I've heard of some places having very strict requirements about conversions and others permitting a certain percentage of 3rd party bits... I think the only way to know is to directly communicate with your respective TO or store operator.

And I guess I'm also skeptical of the copyright concern, although I absolutely believe it's the reason they might have been given for why some bits are or aren't allowed. I've seen far more indefensibly silly corporate mandates.

Edited by NauticalSoup
typo
  • Thanks 1

Anyone getting several copies of Hrothgorn’s Mantrappers, the new Icebrow Hunter from Undervault, to get the bad ass cats and Gnoblars? Gotta say all the sculpts look amazing in there. Any point to get many of those?

Edited by Jabbuk

2 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Anyone getting sever copies of Hrothgorn’s Mantrappers, the new Icebrow Hunter from Undervault, to get the bad ass cats and Gnoblars? Gotta say all the sculpts look amazing in there.

I’m interested in getting one set, will they probably be around 140 points total?
The sculpts are awesome, but I’m going to hold out for a new cats boxed set 

10 minutes ago, Jmason said:

I’m interested in getting one set, will they probably be around 140 points total?
The sculpts are awesome, but I’m going to hold out for a new cats boxed set 

YeahI'll probably get only one kit too. You think they will release a new box with cats? I mean that'd be amazing, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Have they done a similar thing in the past?

3 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

YeahI'll probably get only one kit too. You think they will release a new box with cats? I mean that'd be amazing, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Have they done a similar thing in the past?

They finally released a new flesh hounds box years after the one that was included in the AOS starter box. But as a long time gutbuster I am used to waiting 😆

• Haha 1

So I've been playing a bit of AoS lately, after taking quite a hiatus. I have a decent sized Beastclaw Raiders force and was wondering how they're doing these days? I know the book came out and it's all just Mawtribes, but am I going to have to expand into the lowly, foot-based ogors for them to be any good? My meta is fairly tournament focused, so I'd like to make sure I can do something competitive with what I've got.

Here's a list of what I have:

• 1x Frostlord on Stonehorn
  • 2x Huskards on Thundertusk
  • 1x Huskard on Stonehorn
  • 2x Stonehorn Beastriders
  • 4x Mournfangs with Gargant Hackers
  • 4x Mournfangs with Iron Fists
  • 2x Hunters
  • 8x Sabretusks
  • 6x Yhetees

...and I'll probably get the new Underworlds warband when it comes out (just looks too cool). Should I be adding butchers, gnoblars and the like, or is it fine to keep it as-is?

Edited by thediceabide

2 hours ago, thediceabide said:

So I've been playing a bit of AoS lately, after taking quite a hiatus. I have a decent sized Beastclaw Raiders force and was wondering how they're doing these days? I know the book came out and it's all just Mawtribes, but am I going to have to expand into the lowly, foot-based ogors for them to be any good? My meta is fairly tournament focused, so I'd like to make sure I can do something competitive with what I've got.

• 2x Hunters
  • 8x Sabretusks
  • 6x Yhetees

...and I'll probably get the new Underworlds warband when it comes out (just looks too cool). Should I be adding butchers, gnoblars and the like, or is it fine to keep it as-is?

You can run a good mono bcr list with your collection but I’d recommend a slaughtermaster or butcher to put debuffs on enemy units and molten entrails on your big boys. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thediceabide said:

• 2x Hunters
  • 8x Sabretusks
  • 6x Yhetees

Stonehorn units are strong at the moment, and you can go even more monster-heavy than in the previous book due to behemoths not counting as behemoths when they are battleline, and the fact that they have a better chance with objectives. So you don’t have to diversify at all if you don’t want to. Boulderhead tribe is the one you want to look at!

10 hours ago, sorokyl said:

On the chopping block
gnoblar -  I like the scraplauncher but do not like the gnoblars (i don't enjoy moving hordes around, and the models are meh. Plus i have a moonclan army).  Are gnoblars super great or is it ok to get rid of? Is scraplauncher playable without (or even with) junkmob? seems weak to me. maybe I will keep 1 just because i like the model. 
Ironblaster - what is the most you'd play in an underguts list? Is this list good? 
Mournfang - I don't want to get more than the 4 I have. I don't want to play thunderbellies, but it does allow me to try some BCR batallions... The movement isn't that special I guess due to the hungry allegiance ability (3" more isn't that much extra utility). I guess i can keep if this is just a really good warscroll but doesn't seem that special. 

That’s a hard question for anyone to answer here, as getting rid of anything ogor seems counter-intuitive! But to try and answer your questions (please note personal opinion only!):

one block of gnoblars is useful as a tar pit, and still widely used, though no not necessarily 60, often 20 is ok. That said, I would rather spend the points on a much more versatile unit of 12 gluttons, and given what you say about them, I don’t think you’d miss the gnoblars. Would free up most shelf space too!

scraplauncher - not great due to lack of synergy with anything, and I don’t much like junkmob (especially without gnoblars as above!) keep one if you like the model, has reasonably consistent damage against hordes

Ironblaster - max you’d play is 4 in UG (but I haven’t). You could get away with 1-2, but then you’d probably want more leadbelchers to make underguts work. Based on your intentions, I would get rid of the unbuilt boxes and forget about underguts

mournfang  - “I don’t want to get more” - then don’t :) 

Hey guys, i have a Question about the Eurlbad Battalion.

It says, that it needs 1 Huskard on SH, 1-3 SH Beastriders and 2-4 Mournfang Packs. 

And in the Mournfang Warscroll it says "a unit of Mournfang can have any numbers of models"

Does this mean, i only need one unit of 2 Mournfang for the battalion, or does i need to have two units of 2 Mournfang for the battalion? 

Or is it even possible to play one Unit of 4 Mournfang and the Battalion will work? 

Tahnk you for your anwsers. 

44 minutes ago, DestructionKev said:

Hey guys, i have a Question about the Eurlbad Battalion.

It says, that it needs 1 Huskard on SH, 1-3 SH Beastriders and 2-4 Mournfang Packs. 

And in the Mournfang Warscroll it says "a unit of Mournfang can have any numbers of models"

Does this mean, i only need one unit of 2 Mournfang for the battalion, or does i need to have two units of 2 Mournfang for the battalion? 

Or is it even possible to play one Unit of 4 Mournfang and the Battalion will work? 

Tahnk you for your anwsers. 

2-4 Mournfang Packs means 2-4 units of mournfang, those units can be of any size, 2,4,8 whatever. So 2 units of 2 would work, 4 units of 12 would also work (assuming you had the points)

• Thanks 1

Another game on Tuesday and more success for the underguts.

My list was the same as last time:

Spoiler

IMG_20200128_180657.jpg.0b41fdfcf0db6cf22d2197a2d9d46b98.jpg

(Tyrant, Firebelly, FLoSH, 4 Ironguts, 4,4,2,2 lead belchers, 4 Ironblasters, Tyrants Gutguard)

My opponent has Pretrafex Bonereapers:

Archon, Leige Karako, Soulmason, 20,10,10 Mortek Guard, 3 Immortis, 3 Stalkers, Crawler, 2 endless spells and the Mortek Battalion).

The mission was Three places of power.

I deployed in what’s becoming my standard setup, Ironblastser, Tyrant and Guts on one flank (near the Pot), Frostlord on the other and lead belchers covering gaps (and keeping to cover to minimise Crawler damage).

His deployment was more castled up with the heros keeping close to the Immortis guard.

Spoiler

IMG_20200128_190017.jpg.480b142159d18d581c3d0920b7bf7242.jpg

He took first turn (in retrospect I think this was a mistake) advanced towards the objectives and laid a massive amount of spell buffs on his army. Literally every spell succeeded leaving the 20 Mortek unit massively buffed (including mystic shield and 5+ mortal wound save). The Crawler took out one Lead Belcher). Archo took the central objective screened by 10 Guard.

My turn, he unbound the Ash Cloud with Archon then I push everything towards the centre of his army, with the plan to shoot the Blasters at Archon (3+ to hit, yay but knowing the imortis would take most of the wounds) and concentrate everything else on cutting down number of Mortis Guard on the field. I the Frost Lord did a great job this round with the Blast Keg killing 5 of the big unit of mortis guard (despite 5+ save), his charing killing 3 more from another unit, metal cruncher taking 5 more and poor rolling attacks doing just enough to finish off the last two (15 petratrex Mortek guard in one turn, nice!). The Ironblasters through 14 wounds onto Archon which  wiped out the Immortis guard through redirected wounds. The combination of lots of charges and the Ironguts attacks crippled the big unit of Mortek (3 left at the end of the turn) while I only lost an Ironblaster (screening out the Stalkers from hitting Juicy targets) and a smattering of wounds on other units. The Tyrant failed his charge so I didn’t claim any objectives but with the Immortis and over half of the guard dead, I was feeling good.

Spoiler

IMG_20200128_194016.jpg.8af8d6f24ec79d83e88d7b0a154ac04a.jpg

He won priority and had to take the turn (or I would have shot my units out of combat and charged his heros/crawler).  This magic stung with the Frost lord losing 7 wounds and him dolling out rerolls like candy. Archon moved objectives to stay away from the bulk of my forces. His one full unit of Guard moved forward to try and finish off the Frost Lord. His  Leigh moved around the main battlelines to help out the Stalkers and remains of the large Guard unit but ended up fluffing the 6” charge to engage (and take the objective). In went the Guard to the 

Frost Lord but metal chomper rolled a hot 6 again and gutted them before they could strike, leaving 4 as easy pickings for the Lord. In the main melee the Stalkers chomped through another Iron-blastser but couldn’t get to the Ironguts who lost a model to the Crawler’s shooting but still finished off the large unit of Mortek.

My turn and with all the Mortek and Immortis dead, his heros exposed, and my army virtually unscathed it was basically a cleaning up job. Forst lord and 5 lead belchers took out Archon, the rest of the Lead belchers engaged his Mason and Crawler, and the, 2 blasters, Tyrant and Guts finished off the Leigh and Stalkers.  End of turn two he just had the caster and crawler left, so called it.

Lessons learner:

-Fateseeker bigname feels like a waste on the Tyrant. Between the distraction of the Frostlord and Gutguard he’s only taken 3 wounds in 5 games. Might replace it with Longstrider or Giantbreaker.

-The ability to do lots of little packages of damage in shooting, charging and combat is a massive advantage. Give s you such flexibility to engage enemy units in the way that avoids their strength (e.g. no reroll saves from shooting for Mortek)  and means that damage is almost never wasted overkilling units.

-Petrafex aren’t that scary if your packing enough rend and mortal wound output ;)

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

15 hours ago, Skoll said:

Is there any consensus on the worth of gorgers and yhetees?

They seem like characterful options but cant seem to fit them places 

Sadly, they seem to be overlooked currently. 
Yhetees do have some synergies within Winterbite and in combination with a HoTT (both deemed weak options right now); otherwise, they only have their pile-in to make them more than weak Gluttons. 
Gorgers seem to be just the cheaper Ambush version for those who don’t want a Skal. No synergies ruleswise.

5 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Sadly, they seem to be overlooked currently. 
Yhetees do have some synergies within Winterbite and in combination with a HoTT (both deemed weak options right now); otherwise, they only have their pile-in to make them more than weak Gluttons. 
Gorgers seem to be just the cheaper Ambush version for those who don’t want a Skal. No synergies ruleswise.

I think Yhetees are actually in a decent place right now. The 6" pile in is massive, means you can retreat/run and still engage (don't have to charge). Move 9" with run and charge is nice.

-1 to hit can but combined with Firebelly's Ash Clould, Butchers Greasy Deluge and Germinds.   Being able to summon back dead models is always good. 

If the models weren't so dam ugly I'd be temped to try and build a list around them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

--Snip--

-Petrafex aren’t that scary if your packing enough rend and mortal wound output ;)

What a great report, enjoyed the read. You're right about petrifex. I played a 4 stonehorn list and melted them with all the mortal wound output. Although I do keep forgetting my Eurlbad mortals and to roll for the everwinter.

I love your bases and conversions btw

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

If the models weren't so dam ugly I'd be temped to try and build a list around them.

I actually did try it in winterbite with 9 yetis. I converted them to go with my rebel gnoblar scheme and avoided the terrible model

JPEG_20191229_172103.jpg.f9e4b072e26769473e59fdf625db4a0a.jpg

JPEG_20191229_175544.jpg.479f616217dbd4fbb519fcfa50ace206.jpg

So far they've been super super fun and played Ok. The 6 inch pile in is indeed amazing and is maybe even better than always strike first. Makes them super mobile, falling back and running and still engaging. Their safe output is a bit unreliable though, is their biggest problem. The 4+ to hit is quite swingy, so they did nothing quite a lot. 

On the defence, The-1 to hit them is great though. They are sturdier then gluttons for example.

Because they already basically strike first, the winterbite command ability wasn't much use, the -1 to be hit was a bit narrow and I never ran thundertusks, so ultimately I decided to switch to bloodgullets. The spells can debuff the yetis targets if needed anyway or help the rest of your army more.

Ultimately I decided on 2x3 to run as flankers, contributing to combats that were on the margin or trying to snipe support heroes. It's worked well so far, and they usually survive to the end of the game and are great at objectives because of their mobility.

Their biggest challenge is they can't really take main fights or big opponents at all well. 50mm bases and 1in reach mean big units struggle to all fight even if you take advantage of the pile in. 

TLDR: super fun to play, good flankers and mobility +durability for objectives, but  swingy output and lack of clear role make them not an obvious pick. Don't overinvest in them, they don't require support

JPEG_20191229_180030.jpg

• Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 3