AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Version 2 of my list. I like this one way more.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Underguts
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Firebelly (120)
- Lore of the Sun-Eater: Billowing Ash
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge

4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
Tyrant's Gutguard (120)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 146

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Version 2 of my list. I like this one way more.

- Mawtribe: Underguts
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Firebelly (120)
- Lore of the Sun-Eater: Billowing Ash
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge

4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
Tyrant's Gutguard (120)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Wounds: 146

I don’t know why you’re running the Charm over Gruesome Trophy Rack. Other than that I like the updates. If you’re running 4 ironblasters and underguts then the trophy rack seems practically mandatory

2 minutes ago, James101 said:

I don’t know why you’re running the Charm over Gruesome Trophy Rack. Other than that I like the updates. If you’re running 4 ironblasters and underguts then the trophy rack seems practically mandatory

I didnt think about that. Mostly I was planning to have the 4 blasters chill back with the Firebelly while the Tyrant runs up with a bunch of Leadbealchers and his Ironguts

6 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Yup, completely agree. To me the Trophy rack is the main reason to use a battalion is that sort of list.  With the Gut Guard the tyrant should be reasonable safe.

I see what your saying. Game play wise I wasnt planning on the Tyrant babysitting the blasters but I see that now as a valid strat

Hey guys,

Im thinking of running beastclaws using that list that just uses 3 start collecting boxes. I've heard about how one stonehorn is the tank and the other is the damage dealer. It is only two drops so it does have alphastrike potential. Have people had experience with this list and if so how does it perform? Can it contend with other topend lists like skaventide, hedonites and petrifex elite?

Realm: Shyish

boulderhead mawtribe

Huskard on Stonehorn with skalbrnad and black clatterhorn

Frostlord on Stonehorn with Ethereal Amulet and MetalCruncher

Stonehorn Beastriders

Mournfang Calvary x4

Mournfang Calvary x 4

Mournfang Calvary x2

Mournfang Calvary x2

Eurlbad battalion 

Edited by Elephant_fresh

2 hours ago, Elephant_fresh said:

Hey guys,

I think it won't be able to hold out against the top tables. You will still just bounce off petrifex elite. A charging FLOSH will only do about 10 wounds to a petrifex elite mortek guard unit. Even if you get all 3 in, you will have trouble getting through 40 of them before they start resurrecting and you start taking wounds. I might consolidate the Mournfang a bit into at least on 6 man unit.  You should be able to get them all in, and it gives a nice target for the huskard buff ability for that one groundbreaking charge. 

Some questions for everyone:

How has the hunter+frost sabers been working for people? I loved the idea of them, and really liked tree revenants from sylvaneth, but unlike the tree revenants (which are dirt cheap) these don't feel like they quite carry their weight, given that its nearly 300 points for them. Maybe I should just take a single gorger to keep opponents honest with backfield objectives and then take something else.

Yetis? the 6 inch pile in is amazing, but they just don't do enough damage once they get in to make it helpful. I'm thinking I may need more to be certain of their outcome. The 4+ to hit makes them kinda unreliable and swingy, where I want them to be a targeted assassin type unit. But then the 50mm bases seem to cause trouble fitting around a target?

Gluttons vs. leadbelchers vs. Ironguts? So far I've tried Gluttons and Ironguts, although am hoping to paint up some leadbelchers soon. Gluttons seem best if you are going to buff them a lot, but Ironguts get it done a little more easily if just by themselves. Even though they are more fragile, the 2in reach and easy gnoblar screens seem valuable.

Best mawtribe for diverse, non-skewed lists? Currently i'm trying the obvious winterbite since I have 700 points in yeti's and sabres etc. The strike first is nice, but takes some planning around, so unless I'm using yeti's as my main line, doesn't seem to offer much. Maybe I'd be better off with the much more boring Bloodgullet, as several of the spells buff anything near them (or debuff the enemy). Boulderhead to help my single FLOSH has potential too, or I could add another FLOSH to really take advantage. 

How have underguts done for people? That seems like the most skewed list, but to me looks like the strongest. Hard to deal with for some armies at least. I think in the long run, this is where I'm heading.... I almost think the rhinoxes are a trap and you just want more leadbelchers. Stationary leadbelchers actually outshoot ironblasters, even with the command ability, and are both sturdier and fight harder in melee. Shorter range though. I think even with the command ability

13 minutes ago, Frowny said:

How have underguts done for people? That seems like the most skewed list, but to me looks like the strongest. Hard to deal with for some armies at least. I think in the long run, this is where I'm heading.... I almost think the rhinoxes are a trap and you just want more leadbelchers. Stationary leadbelchers actually outshoot ironblasters, even with the command ability, and are both sturdier and fight harder in melee. Shorter range though. I think even with the command ability

I love my leadbelchers very much and love them even more in underguts. But why is it that I feel guilty for not taking ironblasters with them? I feel like I'm 'wasting' the command ability if I don't bring them in a list.

I dont even like the model that much tbh and I feel like instead of taking 4 of them I could just have 12 more leadbelchers. 

Ironblasters, I feel like our first instinct upon seeing the new warscroll was: "oh its still bad." Maybe we were right the first time? 

For me you need a gutguard to take trophy rack so you can hit on 3s and not feel so swingy. (Its nice on the leadbelchers too) but I feel like those units should hit on 3s in shooting anyway. Trophy rack just makes me want to bunch up in that little bubble.

2 hours ago, Frowny said:

I think it won't be able to hold out against the top tables. You will still just bounce off petrifex elite. A charging FLOSH will only do about 10 wounds to a petrifex elite mortek guard unit. Even if you get all 3 in, you will have trouble getting through 40 of them before they start resurrecting and you start taking wounds. I might consolidate the Mournfang a bit into at least on 6 man unit.  You should be able to get them all in, and it gives a nice target for the huskard buff ability for that one groundbreaking charge. 

Some questions for everyone:

How has the hunter+frost sabers been working for people? I loved the idea of them, and really liked tree revenants from sylvaneth, but unlike the tree revenants (which are dirt cheap) these don't feel like they quite carry their weight, given that its nearly 300 points for them. Maybe I should just take a single gorger to keep opponents honest with backfield objectives and then take something else.

I suppose with the Frost Sabres part of their cost is the +3 to charge they receive. That on top of the +1 to charge from the Skal battalion means that they will likely connect with whatever you're deepstriking them next to.  Still, 120+120+100 (hunter, 6 cats and the battalion) is steep for not a lot of output

As far as those boogeyman lists, my list will probably get steamrolled. But for a low-cost point of entry into the tournament scene I think its a nifty list (I saw it on the honest wargamer lol)

5 hours ago, Frowny said:

I think this is a great point, but maybe the takeaway should be different.  @Elephant_fresh consider working in Thundertusks as their ranged mortal wound output is unbelievable, which is great against large units with good saves! Furthermore the stone horns have rend -2 on the best weapon, so its not to horrible against a 3+ save.  

I'm thinking about a similar list and will be sure to post once I refine things a bit!

32 minutes ago, jake3991 said:

I think this is a great point, but maybe the takeaway should be different.  @Elephant_fresh consider working in Thundertusks as their ranged mortal wound output is unbelievable, which is great against large units with good saves! Furthermore the stone horns have rend -2 on the best weapon, so its not to horrible against a 3+ save.  

I'm thinking about a similar list and will be sure to post once I refine things a bit!

Their ranged output is unbelievable. Unbelievably underwhelming!!!! You're lucky to do 6 mortal wounds against a unit of 20., you used to just do 6 anyway, regardless of unit size. And it costs you between 300 and 390 points for a monster than doesnt do anything well. Pretty awful honestly. Think most of us have shelved the thundertusk at this point tbh.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I didnt think about that. Mostly I was planning to have the 4 blasters chill back with the Firebelly while the Tyrant runs up with a bunch of Leadbealchers and his Ironguts

I haven’t playtested this but my thinking originally was holding a firebelly back with ironblasters. 
but... my thinking currently. 
firebelly together with charges are you best bets of mortal wounds. So I would suggest the tongues of flames. In the same manner Blubbergut stench instead of greasy deluge. And our cannons are 9 wounds with a 4+ save. How much protection does they need? 

3 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

Their ranged output is unbelievable. Unbelievably underwhelming!!!! You're lucky to do 6 mortal wounds against a unit of 20., you used to just do 6 anyway, regardless of unit size. And it costs you between 300 and 390 points for a monster than doesnt do anything well. Pretty awful honestly. Think most of us have shelved the thundertusk at this point tbh.

Maybe, i think that only the Huskard on Thunderstursk is a bit decent in list as the following:

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Rimefrost Hide or alvagr ancient. 

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
Stonehorn Beastriders (300) (blood vulture)

Units
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

We could kill every turn an strategic enemy hero of 5-6p with the 3 vultures more blast of frost wrathed ice while our huskard would using winter's strenght and pulverising hailstorm every turn.

3 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

You used to do 5 on average, not 6, because you could 'miss'. You also now do 3.5 more MW on a charge, and move faster. However, the Huskard is a trap choice. The only good TT is the FLoTT, with Rimefrost Hide or Alvagr Ancient, and possibly not outside Winterbite.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Kramer said:

I haven’t playtested this but my thinking originally was holding a firebelly back with ironblasters. 
but... my thinking currently. 
firebelly together with charges are you best bets of mortal wounds. So I would suggest the tongues of flames. In the same manner Blubbergut stench instead of greasy deluge. And our cannons are 9 wounds with a 4+ save. How much protection does they need? 

They need a lot of protection. OBR crawlers for one and now KO and Tzeentch have insane firepower. Billowing Ash can protect the whole group if they are tight enough. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EldritchX said:

You used to do 5 on average, not 6, because you could 'miss'. You also now do 3.5 more MW on a charge, and move faster. However, the Huskard is a trap choice. The only good TT is the FLoTT, with Rimefrost Hide or Alvagr Ancient, and possibly not outside Winterbite.

I dispute this, for 390p the frostlort on TT is ridicolous, his missile attack do 2 MH to units <10, 4MH to units >10 miniatures and 6MH > 20 miniatures:

Enemy save   Average damage   in a charge
3   5,33 8,83
4   7,19 10,69
5   9,04 12,54
6   10,89 14,39

For only 10p more the frostlord on SO do:

Enemy salvation   Average damage In a charge
3   9,06 14,86
4   11,81 18,28
5   14,57 21,69
6   16,33 23,78

And is better the special save of +5 (grants protection vs MH and missile weapons) that the -1 to hit vs melee weapons of the TT. Also the Rimefrost Hide is worst than a metalcruncher or do insufficient tanky the TT.

Huskard on TT for 340p do (and is a support character for the SO):

Enemy save   Average damage In a charge  + unique shooter in Boulerhead (blood vulture and Hailstorm).
3   2,56 6,06 8,39
4   3,46 6,96 9,30
5   4,37 7,87 10,20
6   5,28 8,78 11,11

Reduction of average damage:                                               With Rimefrost Hide

To hit         -1 to hit     +5 special save      (these columns are exactly the reduction of damage)                                                            

+6                    100%        33,33%

+5                      50%         33,33%

+4                33,33%        33,33%

+3                     25%          33,33% (really is less than 25% because a big number of elite units do MH with unmodified +6 hit)

+2                    20%           33,33%

+1                   16,66%     33,33%

Missile attack:

0%           33,33%

Reduction of average damage with -1 to hit and Rimefrost hide that the monster would receive without this improvements, these following aren't the exactly reduction of damage is the reduction in comparison with the monsters with the improvements and the same monsters without this upgrades):

To hit:        rend:         FoTT           HoTT 

+4                   0                  33,33%     33,33%

-1                55,55%     50%

-2                50%              46,66%

-3               46,66%      44,44%

+3                    0                 25%             25% 

-1                50%            43,75%

-2               43,75%       40%

-3              40%              37,5%

+2                     0                20%               20%  

-1               46,66%       40%

-2              40%                36%   

-3             36%                33,33%

Edited by Sartxac
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Malakithe said:

They need a lot of protection. OBR crawlers for one and now KO and Tzeentch have insane firepower. Billowing Ash can protect the whole group if they are tight enough. 

How often do you play those? 
I play KO quite a bit (is my army played by a mate when I don’t play them myself. so I’m quite invested). And yes they can take all four of them out with the new rules. But let them. To do so they need to get within 18”. That’s definitely within charge range of a stonehorn and even within your infantry. If you set up the ironblasters behind a ogor screen they can shoot the ironblasters but then your army will get in. 
Tzeentch en OBR I have Little to no experience. But tzeentch spells are also 18” or less if I remember the review correctly. So same thing basically as KO. Skyfires are more tricky due to matching our 24” range. 
OBR catapult seems really good. But again o haven’t delved into them enough. But on the face of it. He potentially does 15 damage. But with a 2+ 3+ no rend. He can’t really split shots for risk of not taking one out. So will he bring 4 as well? No to mention the price difference which at that point is 320 pts. but I’m probably ignorant to some of their tricks and allegiance abilities. 
And again if he focusses on the cannons you get him elsewhere. But in that match up the 3+ re-rollable save with bring me back guys would frighten me more. 

in the end it’s something I will have to play, but for now I’m expecting the billowing ash spell having less impact than the ability to do more mortal wounds. 

Edited by Kramer

Had a game against nagash today and wow...that arcane bolt spam is terryfing. Lost really a lot of stuff only to Nagash and the Umbral Spellportal. As a full BCR player, getting even a single dispell is quite expensive, but this was...woah. Tilted right away as there was really nothing I could do, charging was no real option due to the chaff walls. Now I try to thing of an option how I could turn the game in my favor next time facing big uncle bones. any tipps?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Had a game against nagash today and wow...that arcane bolt spam is terryfing. Lost really a lot of stuff only to Nagash and the Umbral Spellportal. As a full BCR player, getting even a single dispell is quite expensive, but this was...woah. Tilted right away as there was really nothing I could do, charging was no real option due to the chaff walls. Now I try to thing of an option how I could turn the game in my favor next time facing big uncle bones. any tipps?

Don't use TT's if you were. Try to take slaughtermasters whenever possible. Take lots of Stonehorns. I would suggest not using BCR, as they're not nearly as strong as gutbusters. Consider mostly Guts with a FLoSH or two.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Woop woop stonehorns to the face!! The one and only solution! ;) 

chaff walls are indeed a big hindrance to us  would the extra speed of mournfang have helped you to get him to spread out to his flanks? 

Edited by Kramer
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Woop woop stonehorns to the face!! The one and only solution! ;) 

chaff walls are indeed a big hindrance to us  would the extra speed of mournfang have helped you to get him to spread out to his flanks?

Well, I´ve thrown 3 SH´s at him (Hosskard, Frostlord and Riders), but his Morghasts seemed like the bigger threat. I had to load all my shooting (including one TH) and 2 Monsters + a unit of Mournfangs to tear the chainrasp chaff screen far enough down so my main mournfang unit could charge. Felt like I had to do so because I know that thoose morghast could have caused serious trouble. In the meantime, he rotated his forces putting everything behind the second wall of Chainrasps, including nagash. It would take me another turn to kill this chaff unit, including taking damage from another unit of morghasts that was a backup, than to survive the mortals from nagash before closing into meele with him. All with 3 Mournfangs and one Stonehorn left. Maybe that was the issue, maybe I should have rushed head first into nagash without bothering the rest.

I mean, my opponent played all this placing stuff really well but that spell spamming was really...ouch. I might be just too stupid to play right against Death but I have the feeling that thoose factions are masters of all trades, with no real downsides. Maybe I am just to dumb to get it right. Maybe I should remain at the painting part of the hobby. 

Had meanwhile a game against Everchosen right before the other one and the Husskard on SH did an amazing job, althrough dices beeing really lucky, allowing him to take archaon in 1v1 down to 3 wounds, surviving a load of damage.

3 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

What are we thinking the (double) stonehorn plus gutbusters list consists of then?

FLoSH

Tyrant

Slaughtermaster

Butcher

12 ogor

8 Ironguts

2 leadbelchers

20 gnoblars

Goremand

Maybe less Ironguts and no goremand for 2 flosh