AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

15 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

You can mix them just fine, most of the buffs in the book can be applied to either BCR or Gutbusters, the restrictions tend to fall in terms of unit type rather than faction keyword.  The Frostlord on Stonehorn is a solid combat monster that can slot into most lists that can spare the points, the various Thundertusks I would not personally consider to be that valuable right now, but that may change with points adjustments down the line.  Mournfang are interesting as their damage output can be quite weak, especially if they don't get the charge, but they are faster than infantry ogors, and I find two model squads with Ironfists quite a valuable tool at times.

Since I read the Battletome I've got the impression that doing a mixed list is perfectly doable but you want to weigh it in the favour of either Gutbusters or BCR and then use the other to fill gaps - I.e a mainly GB army with a Frostlord on Stonehorn to Smash face or a mainly BCR force with Butchers/Slaughtermasters for some casting support. 

But this is just my impression 😊

• Like 2

On 11/29/2019 at 11:56 PM, Sauriv said:

Hi, who played wrong?? Do you have any more information about this, like a statement or something? I'm from Sweden and I know who the mawtribes player is.

Got more info now. He misread the warscroll and played the Gluttons wrong in 3 of the 5 games. Made mortal wounds on 6's with the clubs instead of 2 hits.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Got more info now. He misread the warscroll and played the Gluttons wrong in 3 of the 5 games. Made mortal wounds on 6's with the clubs instead of 2 hits.

That would explain why he'd go in with 36 of them, since it fixes their biggest problem. Sadly this means the data is useless for determining what kind of builds work well in tourneys :(

Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked, but since Beastclaw Raiders have been added to the Ogor Mawtribes Battletome, are the Battalions and Warscrolls in the Beastclaw Raiders Battletome still valid.  Or, do Beastclaw Raiders fall completely within the rules found in the Ogor Mawtribes Battletome now?

Thanks in advance!

SG

17 minutes ago, ServiceGames said:

Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked, but since Beastclaw Raiders have been added to the Ogor Mawtribes Battletome, are the Battalions and Warscrolls in the Beastclaw Raiders Battletome still valid.  Or, do Beastclaw Raiders fall completely within the rules found in the Ogor Mawtribes Battletome now?

Thanks in advance!

SG

The BcR Warscrolls and Warscroll Battalions were printed as valid in GHB 2019.  GHB 2019 has not been errata'd yet to remove them, nor has the Mawtribes book been said to overrule the BcR tome (in any way I've seen yet.)  So I would assume those battalions are still valid.  However, they're valid from the BcR allegiance, not the Mawtribes allegiance.  E.g., "Braggoth's Beast Hammer" battalion could be used in a Beastclaw Raiders army, but not an "Ogor Mawtribes" army, since BcR are not eligible to be allied into the Mawtribes allegiance. 

2 minutes ago, ryanguy88 said:

The BcR Warscrolls and Warscroll Battalions were printed as valid in GHB 2019.  GHB 2019 has not been errata'd yet to remove them, nor has the Mawtribes book been said to overrule the BcR tome (in any way I've seen yet.)  So I would assume those battalions are still valid.  However, they're valid from the BcR allegiance, not the Mawtribes allegiance.  E.g., "Braggoth's Beast Hammer" battalion could be used in a Beastclaw Raiders army, but not an "Ogor Mawtribes" army, since BcR are not eligible to be allied into the Mawtribes allegiance. 

The reason I asked is because I had bought all the models needed for a Braggoth's Beast Hammer Battalion since it was one of (if not the first) to have multiple factions in the same Battalion.  And, I already really liked the Beastclaw Raiders.  So, I got all the models needed.  I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to put the very expensive Gore-Gruntas to the side and focus only finding a way to buy new models.

Your explanation helps A LOT!

Thanks very much!

SG

23 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

With the 1 in 4 rule for horn blowers/standard bearers - where do we stand with units of 2 for the mournfang?

If you can’t meet the criteria (in this case 4) you can’t have them. 
Its in a faq or designers commentary. I’ll see if I can find it for you tonight. 

23 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Funnily enough I did spot that after my post - with the spare 20pts swapping the beast riders for a HoSH and separating the mournfangs.

With the 1 in 4 rule for horn blowers/standard bearers - where do we stand with units of 2 for the mournfang? 

Banner is decent but seems unneeded on groups of 2 -- assuming you get your mournfang into combat before one dies.  (Bravery 8 while eating.)
For the horn blower, straight +1 to charge is super nice,  but the allegiance and command abilities often offer very similar assurances.  So not really needed, IMO.

I think the bigger question is whether to have an 8model unit so charges do mortals on the 4+ instead of the 6+,  or go MSU.  I think MSU wins?

1 hour ago, ryanguy88 said:

Banner is decent but seems unneeded on groups of 2 -- assuming you get your mournfang into combat before one dies.  (Bravery 8 while eating.)
For the horn blower, straight +1 to charge is super nice,  but the allegiance and command abilities often offer very similar assurances.  So not really needed, IMO.

I think the bigger question is whether to have an 8model unit so charges do mortals on the 4+ instead of the 6+,  or go MSU.  I think MSU wins?

Im really starting to look forward to trying them 😂

I like the models. It’s just a shame the bases are so big. I really found them unwieldy. But now with the new book they are faster, hit a bit better and as you said what happens with 8 ? I personally think way to unwieldy. But as I just got a start collecting I’m up to 8. So as soon as I painted them I guess I’ll try it out. 

Hah, I find four mounfang unwieldy in a lot of cases, eight would be quite something to see!  You could charge the entire enemy force with one unit I guess...

I feel like mournfang should have their own interaction with the mawtribe battletraits, counting as 3-4 models on objectives, or causing mortals on a 5+ instead of a 6+ (or even 4+ from a unit of four or more) or something, they're in a weird middle space at present where I feel the model isn't quite represented by the rules.

• Like 2

Hm I need some feedback for a cheap start for the Mawtribes. It's based on getting the half of the Feast of Bones box, a SC Beastclaw Raiders, a box of Gluttons, a box of Ironguts and conversions for the Butcher and the Slaughtermaster. It most likely isnt the best or most competitive  but it's only meant as a start.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Molten Entrails
Tyrant (160)
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Ironguts (220)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
Tyrant's Gutguard (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaux said:

Hm I need some feedback for a cheap start for the Mawtribes. It's based on getting the half of the Feast of Bones box, a SC Beastclaw Raiders, a box of Gluttons, a box of Ironguts and conversions for the Butcher and the Slaughtermaster. It most likely isn't the best or most competitive  but it's only meant as a start.

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Molten Entrails
Tyrant (160)
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Ironguts (220)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
Tyrant's Gutguard (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 132

As a start its good! 2 questions. What extra spells will you be taking? And why Granitetooth and not Metalchruncher/clatterhorn on the Frostlord? I don't think you'll get much out of the extra +1 to charge and those other two seem so much better. 

Just a thought. If you do build two leadbelchers you suddenly have acces to another battalion instead of the Gutguard. As your going Bloodgullut I would change the battalion to a Goremand making your Slaughtermaster better. The reason being I personally think the Ironblaster will only be worth it if you double down on them. But maybe that's a good next step. Dropping the Ironblaster for two leadbelchers and changing the battalion. But again it's a perfectly fun list for starters and its a good base to build out from imo.

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

First of all thanks for the input, the thing is that for the time being the two bodies that were supposed to be Leadbelchers from the Feast box are converted into the Butcher and Slaughtermaster (thanks to having bitz from all the available Ogre kits). That limited my choice in regards of the batallion.

The whole thing is just an thought experiment at the moment (because I got my hands on the Feast box during Black Friday) "How can I get a side project to 2000p for cheap".  If I expand the list and collection there would be Leadbelchers on the "to buy" list for sure because they enable further batallions.

Regarding your questions in regards of the mount trait and extra spells:

Well I misread Metalcrunsher (one should always read the full text....) first so I discarded that choice, but on a second thought it sounds tempting, Clatterhorn... well I dislike the drop off, that's why it wasnt my choice.

In regards of the extra spells I didnt spend much thoughts yet I have to admit. Like I said thought experiment (at least for the next week... before the greed for grey plastic awakens...).

Edited by Vaux
  • Like 1

Just played a proper game of total commitment vs warclans. My opinion on the ogres has slightly changed, they’re not low tier by any means. Gluttons in bloodgullet do some serious heavy lifting. Very cheap for what they can chew through. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ServiceGames said:

The reason I asked is because I had bought all the models needed for a Braggoth's Beast Hammer Battalion since it was one of (if not the first) to have multiple factions in the same Battalion.  And, I already really liked the Beastclaw Raiders.  So, I got all the models needed.  I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to put the very expensive Gore-Gruntas to the side and focus only finding a way to buy new models.

Your explanation helps A LOT!

Thanks very much!

SG

Yes, sadly, although you can still use the BCR allegiance and abilities, you would have to use the updated Warscrolls, and wouldn't have the Mawtribe allegiance abilities. This means no Trampling Charge, Might Makes Right, Ravenous Brutes, etc. with generally nerfed Warscrolls. Stonehorns can't run and charge, cause no impact hits and only count as one model for objectives, for example.

With the exception of maybe an entire force of Hunters and cats in a Skal, I can't see the old allegiance being effective anymore.

Hey guys!

I have now played a solid four games with Mawtribes. Trying out two different lists. I played against Fyreslayers and Orruks, two matches each. I won 3/4 with one loss against Fyreslayers because of failed charge in combination with a severe tactical error on my part. :)

Bloodgullet list

Slaughtermaster, Butcher, Firebelly, 12x gluttons, Flosh with ethereal, 2x4 ironguts, 4x leadbelchers, Goremand and Balewind Vortex.

This list won 2/2. The Firebelly is magical. -1 to hit bubble from Billowing ash is HUGE. Hard to cast sure, but amazing. Butcher on Balewind casting Blood Feast and Greasy deluge. Greasy + Billowing equals -2 to hit. Excellent. The Gluttons with Blood Feast destroyed a unit of 20 Ardboys straight away for example. I felt this list to be very strong and flexible. But most of all, a blast to play.

Underguts list

Tyrant (trophy rack), 4x Ironblasters, 2x6 leadbelchers, 12x gluttons, slaughtermaster, firebelly, extra command point

This list was a little harder to get the hang of. But the potential is very big. I one shotted a Magmadroth and a Priest on turn one with the cannons. The leadbelchers didn't do that much but I think I was to offensive with them. Firebelly excelled here aswell but with Fiery Whirlwind. The ironblasters are a bit of a pain to move in conjunction with the tyrants 12" plus shot aura. I didn't get a chance to use Blubbergrub stench at all in the two games played. No charges was available and plausible. So Im not sure about that spell yet, might be better to just go with blood feast which I did game 2. Got much more value from that. With this list I comfortably won one game and lost 19-16 on victory points on one game. (Mainly because of a tactical error). Will be adding a Burning head in this list next time.

So, hope that inspires someone! :)

Ogors are super fun to play and I will keep trimming the lists. 

/D

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dejnar said:

Hey guys!

I have now played a solid four games with Mawtribes. Trying out two different lists. I played against Fyreslayers and Orruks, two matches each. I won 3/4 with one loss against Fyreslayers because of failed charge in combination with a severe tactical error on my part. :)

Bloodgullet list

Slaughtermaster, Butcher, Firebelly, 12x gluttons, Flosh with ethereal, 2x4 ironguts, 4x leadbelchers, Goremand and Balewind Vortex.

This list won 2/2. The Firebelly is magical. -1 to hit bubble from Billowing ash is HUGE. Hard to cast sure, but amazing. Butcher on Balewind casting Blood Feast and Greasy deluge. Greasy + Billowing equals -2 to hit. Excellent. The Gluttons with Blood Feast destroyed a unit of 20 Ardboys straight away for example. I felt this list to be very strong and flexible. But most of all, a blast to play.

Underguts list

Tyrant (trophy rack), 4x Ironblasters, 2x6 leadbelchers, 12x gluttons, slaughtermaster, firebelly, extra command point

This list was a little harder to get the hang of. But the potential is very big. I one shotted a Magmadroth and a Priest on turn one with the cannons. The leadbelchers didn't do that much but I think I was to offensive with them. Firebelly excelled here aswell but with Fiery Whirlwind. The ironblasters are a bit of a pain to move in conjunction with the tyrants 12" plus shot aura. I didn't get a chance to use Blubbergrub stench at all in the two games played. No charges was available and plausible. So Im not sure about that spell yet, might be better to just go with blood feast which I did game 2. Got much more value from that. With this list I comfortably won one game and lost 19-16 on victory points on one game. (Mainly because of a tactical error). Will be adding a Burning head in this list next time.

/D

Nice write up! What’s your feeling on the amount of Ironblasters? 
mand did you miss the Frostlord in the second list? 

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Nice write up! What’s your feeling on the amount of Ironblasters? 
mand did you miss the Frostlord in the second list? 

I think 4 is needed. With all buffs and CAs you get 8 shots +3 (heroes/monsters) +2/-2/d6. Although I hate d6 damage the amount of shots outweigh that. The minus though is moving all the blasters together, so they are very dependent on choosing sides carefully to avoid to much terrain. They move 9" though and that's fantastic. 

I did miss the FloSH for sure in the second list. Underguts feels like a sniping list with a meat wall. I don't have any gnoblars yet otherwise I would have used about 40 of them. Keep your blasters away from the enemy for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dejnar said:

Hey guys!

Bloodgullet list

Underguts list

/D

Did you forgot a battalion on second list? cause you cant use trophy without it

Are there any grounds for a Frost Sabre-Icebrow heavy list? The +1 attack command ability on a unit of 10 only generates 2-3~ish extra wounds on a 4+ save (turned 5+ with rend), but with Winter Ranger as the command trait you could build up a lot with a background Icebrow just there for cp gen and a late-game ambush (moreso alongside some Frost Sabres on the board than ones held in ambush with him). 
I was thinking of this list: 
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Winter Ranger
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Shrunken Priest Head
Firebelly (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)

Battleline
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)

Units
8 x Ironguts (440)
8 x Ironguts (440)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)

Battalions
Skal (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 144

Leadbelchers for sitting on an objective, Ironguts as a beefy attack force and then 10 Frost Sabres to Deepstrike with one of the Hunters. +d3 attacks with re-rolling 1s on the deepstriked Sabres

23 minutes ago, Floom said:

Leadbelchers for sitting on an objective, Ironguts as a beefy attack force and then 10 Frost Sabres to Deepstrike with one of the Hunters. +d3 attacks with re-rolling 1s on the deepstriked Sabres

+d3?   The command ability grants one.  You can stack it, so it's a bit more variable -- 

Per Frost Saber, you'd have [ 1 + Round Number + (Round Number)D3 ]+3 attacks.   Or one less than that if you're going to give the re-roll 1s to hit.

So, turn two, you could easily have 2+2d3+3 attacks per cat, re-rolling ones.  That's average of 9 attacks each, 4+ | 3+ | -1 | 1.    If you could get 10 cats in, I'd think 90 of those attacks could insta-gib a hero or monster.  (Estimated 40 wounding hits with -1 rend, 1 damage.)   

But each cat gets 1+d3  (assuming you only use CP for the Hunter CA) each round you wait.   And you're only sitting aside 320 points for this -- so yeah, I think there's something to play with there.